2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Artisan fitting soon…

3 hours ago, Maroon_19 said:

Just show up.  Don't change a thing before your fitting.  John is going to watch you putt.  A LOT of putts.  He is going to build YOUR putter to YOUR stroke.

Be prepared for a golf experience unlike any other.  You'll feel like you are on tour for 3 hours.  My Artisan putter fitting is one of my top 3 golf experiences ever and I've been playing for 40+ years now.

Same can be said for the wedge fitting as well. The only thing I'll add is stroke your stroke.

• Like 2

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

• 3 months later...
25 minutes ago, Survivor740 said:

Looked on the website. $300 for fitting and $100 towards an Artisan putter. What’s the general price of a putter from Artisan?

Anywhere from 800-2k 

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

9 hours ago, Survivor740 said:

Looked on the website. $300 for fitting and $100 towards an Artisan putter. What’s the general price of a putter from Artisan?

They have the info for the putter on their custom guide page along with cost for the finishes and other work. Obviously more you do the more it costs.

https://www.artisangolftx.com/customguide

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

If you spend 1k+ on a putter the fitting from that company should be free. $300 for a putter fitting is insane. Don't care who does the fitting.  Most fitting centers charge $100 for a putter fitting. What does artisan do that is 3x more effective?  

Edited by 5hort5tuff

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

1 hour ago, 5hort5tuff said:

If you spend 1k+ on a putter the fitting from that company should be free. $300 for a putter fitting is insane. Don't care who does the fitting.  Most fitting centers charge $100 for a putter fitting. What does artisan do that is 3x more effective?  

I think cause it's also like 3x the length. Guys mention it's like a 3 hour process at least for a putter fitting. Meanwhile a fitting at Scotty HQ is like 350 for an hour and nothing is custom. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Definitely not your one hour big box store fitting.  You’re taking the head guy out of his shop and away from machining orders for the better part of 3 hours… someone has to pay for it.  

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

4 hours ago, 5hort5tuff said:

My putter fitting there was free, yes I have had my putter for years now. I melted on the putting green for hours but I now have a putter that is perfect for me and some great stories. When ever I swung by John always has time now for a chat, he was shocked how good condition my putter still is in!

I would pay the 300 for the fitting now if I needed one!

The wedge fitting is also worth the money. My wedges are nearing the end of their life span - I will just text Jamie and order some more wedges and they will be to my spec at my door(well after lots of cash and a few weeks)!

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

8 hours ago, Phabs said:

Definitely not your one hour big box store fitting.  You’re taking the head guy out of his shop and away from machining orders for the better part of 3 hours… someone has to pay for it.  

Agreed. And that person is the customer. Artisan can charge whatever they want. They have a successful company. All im saying is to spend $1000 on a putter and $300 on a fitting is too steep IMO. I'd love to see how many strokes are shaved off after this magical putter experience. The 2 best putters I know have never been fit, never had a lesson, and use 10 year old putters. 

You can go to PING HQ...do a putter fitting and buy a $300 putter. Is that too cheap?

Edited by 5hort5tuff

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 

BBFandCo Roulette
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

33 minutes ago, 5hort5tuff said:

Agreed. And that person is the customer. Artisan can charge whatever they want. They have a successful company. All im saying is to spend $1000 on a putter and $300 on a fitting is too steep IMO. I'd love to see how many strokes are shaved off after this magical putter experience. The 2 best putters I know have never been fit, never had a lesson, and use 10 year old putters. 

You can go to PING HQ...do a putter fitting and buy a $300 putter. Is that too cheap?

Doubt it shaves any strokes off anything for anyone… same as that new 700 dollar driver every buys every single year or the 1500 dollar set of irons with a decimal point more of forgiveness.   People spend they’re money how they want , if that’s a 300 dollar fitting and a 2500 dollar putter good on them.   I bought one because I like their shapes and the machine work.  The cool factor of owning something made by the same hands that made Tigers stuff as well. 

• Like 3

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

Agree with everything you said there for sure.  People (including myself) will spend money on whatever they want in golf.  Personally, I don't try to justify buying this or that because I know it doesn't really change performance.  I buy it because I like to, need to, or want to. 

A $300 putter fitting is insane, however I understand that people will do it and say it was worth it.  Same reason people will buy their $350 wedge and say it is better than a $220 vokey...or a $150 Wilson. It's not better...but it will be justified. 

Edited by 5hort5tuff

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 

BBFandCo Roulette
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

Agree with everything you said there for sure.  People (including myself) will spend money on whatever they want in golf.  Personally, I don't try to justify buying this or that because I know it doesn't really change performance.  I buy it because I like to, need to, or want to. 

A $300 putter fitting is insane, however I understand that people will do it and say it was worth it.  Same reason people will buy their $350 wedge and say it is better than a $220 vokey...or a $150 Wilson. It's not better...but it will be justified. 

My wedges are definitely better than my raw Vokeys were. 

Putter is fit for me and certainly I putt better with it!

The fitting is the key. Also the ground interaction on the wedges is soooo good; I play links golf mainly with wedges I was fit for on Bermuda grass, they work for me on both, just change the shot required.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

My point exactly Scott. You have about 2500 in wedges and a putter + fittings and you believe they are the best fit. That is why the company is succeeding. 

I want to make sure it's clear that I think their putters and wedges are really top quality.  Super nice looking and many fitting options.  I also believe you can find a set of cleveland wedges and a putter for about $800 total and you would find very similar results. 

Sorry for destroying this thread OP lol

Edited by 5hort5tuff

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 

BBFandCo Roulette
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

I’d call it more of a 3 hour putting lesson—from a guy who has seen it all on a putting green—with some fitting thrown in because that’s ultimately the point of the session.

7 weeks or so with my putter and it has 100% improved my putting…confidence and freedom to stroke your stroke with a tool literally MADE for it, is a powerful combination. 

• Like 2

John fit me over the phone during the on initial phase of COVID.  The result

was fantastic.  These guys are sooo good at what they do.  

I get the “I don’t get it” take.  But why do you care?  Whether it’s art or putters or cars or whiskey or travel people want to experience different things.  The Artisan experience/putters seem to rate highly with those who have experienced it.  

• Like 1

On 7/30/2022 at 7:51 PM, 5hort5tuff said:

So you want one of the top guys in this craft to spend 2 1/2 - 3 hours of his time with you for $100? Maybe try Club Champion.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, m_w said:

So you want one of the top guys in this craft to spend 2 1/2 - 3 hours of his time with you for $100? Maybe try Club Champion.

When you buy a 1200$ putter from the same company, Yes.

Maybe you could explain why this experience was worth your money. That would be a nice contribution to this thread.  

Edited by 5hort5tuff

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 

BBFandCo Roulette
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

52 minutes ago, 5hort5tuff said:

When you buy a 1200$ putter from the same company, Yes.

Maybe you could explain why this experience was worth your money. That would be a nice contribution to this thread.  

Until you meet John, it is very hard to describe how good he is.

• Like 1
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400

5 hours ago, m_w said:
  • Spending time with John is as much a putting lesson as it is a fitting. He will pick up on many details while watching you roll the first 10 or so putts, explains to you why this or that is happening and then goes through an evaluation. Given that most top instructors charge north of $300 an hour at this point, this is actually a bargain in my book.
  • The fitting process itself takes place on a real green, not indoors on artificial turf. You will putt many different putts, just like you would during a round, not just a straight roll - ive done putter fittings with Evnroll, Club Champion and another boutique fitter and none of them were even remotely close to the experience and final product of Artisan. I have spend north of $8000 on putters during my golf "career" and this is the best money I've spent. Why? Because it was a great, truly enjoyable experience and it improved my putting, and improved my strokes gained putting.
  • Due to Artisans fitting setup, you are able to try any head on any neck in any weight combo (from 0g to 45g weights) with specific toe-hang combos etc. to dial you in. This allows you to focus on selecting a shape that works for your eyes vs a putter that has the correct hang etc for your stroke. You can customize it all
  • In the production process, you can select any alignment aid you want, you can select how the putter looks, how its milled etc.

Yes, Artisan products ARE high priced but they - in my opinion - offer value because it ends up being YOUR product, not theirs. if thats something you don't care about, yes you can get it for 40% of the price somewhere else and achieve at least 80% of the result I'm sure.

Currently searching flights to Ft. Worth 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

On 7/31/2022 at 9:18 AM, Phabs said:

Doubt it shaves any strokes off anything for anyone… same as that new 700 dollar driver every buys every single year or the 1500 dollar set of irons with a decimal point more of forgiveness.   People spend they’re money how they want , if that’s a 300 dollar fitting and a 2500 dollar putter good on them.   I bought one because I like their shapes and the machine work.  The cool factor of owning something made by the same hands that made Tigers stuff as well. 

I used to have a Buick- probably made by the same robot as Tiger's 😀

4 hours ago, blev2 said:

Anyone that thinks Artisan wedges are the same as Wilson’s off the rack has either never played Artisan wedges or is not very good at golf. No good golfer that has played both would put them on the same planet. 

Im for sure not a good golfer but I must agree with you.

Drivers : Callaway Paradym Sanki Planarian - Ginnico Black Star Arch-KaMs 16509 - TRPX S-013 Xanadu - Waccine Wac LS-01 COA Rolling Angel
FW : Ping G425 14.5*/17.5* Arch-Kams WL/WH-01

UTs : Ping G425 19* Arch-Kams UTR - Callaway Paradym 20* Arch-Kams UTH
Irons : Grind Studio Proto - Itobori MXH - Titleist CNCPT02 - Tourstage MR-23 US Spec
Wedges : Artisan - Grind Studio- JP Premier
Putters : Benock - BPutters - Ingles - Lajosi - Low Tide - Machine - MackMade - Mannkrafted - Masda Gold'sFactory - Nead - Swag - TP Mills - Xenon