2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Lack of Courtesy/Etiquette on Course

8 hours ago, bekgolf said:

By any chance did they have a tee time and you just rode up on the first tee cutting them off?  I'm not saying this happened, just asking the question.

No, they didn't have a tee time.  Our course does not set them up that late in the evening.  They drove their cart over from the 9th green and into the 1st fairway about 50 yards in front of the tee and proceeded to play from there.  As I said, I was walking so I'm sure they thought they wouldn't slow me down, even though they were hitting 2 shots each, none of them going more than 50 yards.

Taylormade  M Gloire Driver JDM 11.5*  - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade  M Gloire Fairway JDM 15* - Speeder Evolution SR

Daiwa ONOFF ARMS AKA Fairway JDM 21* - Daiwa MP-520F SR

Callaway  Epic Flash Fairway 25* - PX Evenflow 6.0

Callaway  Epic Max Fast Forged JDM 7 - AW - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Max Star JDM GW 48* - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM SW 55* - Nippon 950GH S

Mizuno  Tour Chipper 25*

Kasco  Red 9/9 Model 18 JDM Putter 

If you are a single or any number faster than a slow group and the course is wide open in front of
them, consider skipping around them.    

50 years ago or so, most new golfers learned golf and etiquette from their parents. 
We had to listen and learn, if we wanted to play and get new golf equipment.   
Or we learned as caddies.   Today most new golfers learn on their own from other golfers who don't 
have good etiquette.   Sure some still learn from parents, who may not have good etiquette or programs 
like First Tee, etc.  As a post above said, their are guys who have played 10-30 years that have bad etiquette. 

Every activity that has etiquette has gotten worse, so in most cases it's the person who may not care,
due to lack of respect for rules, etiquette, etc.    

Some guys know etiquette but are still bad at it.   IE, they will stand still until you are in your backswing. 
They will whisper when you swing, even though they are close by.  
They will talk until you start your swing, so they know to be quiet, but do it too late.   
Some guys might be better golfers if they realized that concentration works.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ArtMBgolf said:

Some guys know etiquette but are still bad at it.   IE, they will stand still until you are in your backswing.   

I swear I've seen tour players start to move before another player has finished hitting.   It shocked me because I hate people in my peripheral vision moving.

• Sad 1

On 6/27/2022 at 10:18 AM, alittleoverpar said:

I'm all for growing the game and having new golfers on the course, but I am seeing more and more examples of blatant lack of courtesy/etiquette on the course.  

Last night I ran out to the course to play a few holes after dinner.  I stepped onto the first tee and was getting out balls, tees, etc., when a couple in a cart pulled into the fairway about 50 yards in front of the tee.  They both got out of the cart and threw down a couple of golf balls.  They looked back at me and clearly saw that I was on the tee.  Then they proceeded to hit 2 balls each before moving ahead about 50 yards to repeat the process.  This went on for 2 or 3 holes, at which point I skipped a few holes to get around them.  I wasn't in any kind of a hurry as I was just enjoying the evening and working on a few things, but this is one example of many that I have seen over the last few years.  

I probably sound like an old man yelling "Get off my yard", but general courtesy would be to waive someone through if you are holding them up. 

Just venting, I guess.

Learned the hard way about 30 or so years ago that in that situation (had one very similar) it's best just to head to the back nine (not knowing if that was an option in your case).  I won't go into the story, but in HS, in college and then as a member (but young, you know, and not a "real" member, lol) of a private club I learned that (IMO) by far the worst examples of lack of etiquette and lack of simple courtesy were perpetrated by folks that had been playing the game a long time and should know better, but they were "entitled".  So you try not to be "those guys" and raise your kids not to be "those guys" (on the course and in life) and play with like-minded people.

I did roll up on a couple of guys last night and they waived me to the box and that was cool and then . . . . I flat out chunked an easy 6 iron on that par 3 30 yards, lol, I can still feel the impact in my bad wrist.  (Playing through isn't always fun, haha).  They were so nice I just wanted to get out of their way in a hurry.

Now in fairness, we are talking about less than 1% of my golfing experiences over decades of enjoying the game, so I get why incidents like you describe stick out in our minds, and golf is so mental that sometimes the frustration of something like that can screw up your game for a few shots, lol, but in my golfing world they've really been few and far between.  

Either the course is busy and pace of play is pace of play or it isn't and I can always head to a different hole - but I play the same course several times a week and it's not like I've got a significant green fee on the line for a once a week opportunity to play, so there's that difference as well.

Serenity now!!!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Robert72 said:

I swear I've seen tour players start to move before another player has finished hitting.   It shocked me because I hate people in my peripheral vision moving.

What about jumping jacks?  A guy in my golf league will stand about 10 yards behind your line of play as you address the ball and either stretch or do jumping jacks to keep his body warm and limber during your swing.  Very interesting, yet, speaking for myself only, disconcerting at the same time.

On 6/27/2022 at 5:02 PM, NPSpar4 said:

this topic goes along with my other issue, which is people NEVER FIXING THEIR FRIGGIN BALL MARKS.   smh

drives me crazy.   not letting a single play through, or not fixing ball marks, or not raking the sand, or not fixing divots in the fairway, or taking practice putts after your group finishes the hole even though im standing in the fairway right behind you...its all a symptom of the same thing and it really doesnt have anything to do with beginner golfers....it just all stems from people NOT GIVING A SH$$ and not having any concern about other players.   I am sure a small % is from people that just started the game and dont know any better but im willing to bet the vast majority are people that just dont care what the rest of us think.   They going to sit on their phones while we wait behind them....or they going to hack it out of the sand, on their 3rd try, and not bother to rake it..  or they going to finally hit a green, and not bother to fix the huge ball mark..... at this point, it is what it is.   They are the same knuckleheads that drive horribly and bump into you at the food store and never say excuse me.  Same people.....  OH well... 

venting is fun !! 

Not fixing ball marks...you must be a member of the course in your profile picture 

Jumping holes to get out from behind slow-playing golfers usually does not work. I have a friend who says, "Hey, let's just jump over two holes where it's open and then come back and play the holes we missed." Sounds great but doesn't work in real life. You either never make it back to play those holes or when you do they are still busy.

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

On 6/27/2022 at 3:52 PM, Double Mocha Man said:

Good observation.  So true Tater... most of us couldn't get through the travails of everyday life without rationalizing.  I'm damn near perfect and I do it at times. 😁

Yeah, but I'll bet you have a good reason for doing it ... 🤣

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

I play a decent number of rounds as a single and generally am encouraged to play through, but I never expect it, and often decline if I know the course is busy and the group in front of me is keeping up with the group in front of them. 

Said differently, I don’t expect the course to part like the Red Sea for me….I am not Moses and don’t have a staff. 

Different etiquette topic:  a few years ago, my playing companion absolutely crushed his drive…..straight pull, 45 degrees into an adjoining fairway, making a bee line for two carts. I bellow at the top of my lungs “Oh! Fore FORE FOOOOORRRRE!!!!” When I do this I can be heard in the next area code 😁. Anyhow the ball screamed above the carts, probably cleared them by a decent margin…..and the guy who hit it was mad as hell! He thought it was rude/impolite to yell, as though I was calling attention to his poor shot. He told me “that wasn’t even close to them, why did you have to yell like that, don’t talk to my ball any more” and now I’m the one upset. Asked him “you ever been hit by a ball? No? Ok, it ####ing hurts. I’ve been hit in legs, shoulder, and got knocked out cold once. One ball I took on my calf left behind a dimple pattern for many days. If you are embarrassed that isn’t my fault. I am glad that ball did not hit them, and if there is any risk from your shots or my shots, I am going to yell.”

The rest of the round was not very chatty but we did finish. 

Edited by mshills
  • Like 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

18 hours ago, JohnnyCashForever said:

What about jumping jacks?  A guy in my golf league will stand about 10 yards behind your line of play as you address the ball and either stretch or do jumping jacks to keep his body warm and limber during your swing.  Very interesting, yet, speaking for myself only, disconcerting at the same time.

No he's not. He's doing it to interfere with your concentration. No matter what he claims is his intent.

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

4 hours ago, acegolfer said:

Old golfer here. I was taught to let faster player behind me play through. But it seems young golfers are never taught this. 

I think they're taught "Hold down and defend your position on the course""

• Like 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

Lack of etiquette? Let’s see, I’ve been hit into so many times I’m unfazed. I’ve seen fistfights, drunks crashing carts, guns pulled twice (shots fired once), saw a guy deliberately ram his truck into someone else’s truck in the parking lot, a low speed truck chase vs a golf cart across the range, down the fairway and over the green, and people gambling for so much money you couldn’t wrap your fist around that stack of bills. Folks are worried about pace of play and talking in your back swing… Redneck golf in the South. You gotta be tough…

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Quicksilver32 said:

Lack of etiquette? Let’s see, I’ve been hit into so many times I’m unfazed. I’ve seen fistfights, drunks crashing carts, guns pulled twice (shots fired once), saw a guy deliberately ram his truck into someone else’s truck in the parking lot, a low speed truck chase vs a golf cart across the range, down the fairway and over the green, and people gambling for so much money you couldn’t wrap your fist around that stack of bills. Folks are worried about pace of play and talking in your back swing… Redneck golf in the South. You gotta be tough…

Sheesh where are you playing golf at?

Im sure it wasn’t funny at the time but reading about the low speed golf cart vs truck chase I have this image in my head of Chris Farley driving the golf cart and it’s hilarious. 

Edited by StudentGolfer4

25 minutes ago, StudentGolfer4 said:

Sheesh where are you playing golf at?

Im sure it wasn’t funny at the time but reading about the low speed golf cart vs truck chase I have this image in my head if Chris Farley driving the golf cart and it’s hilarious. 

No, it was pretty funny at the time! It was an on course argument that spilled over into the parking lot. Both were very drunk. I think it had something to do with a woman… And this was at a semi private course in South Georgia.

• Haha 1

I'm not sure why we should expect a better standard of behavior at the golf course than we see at the local Wal Mart, fast food joint or just about anywhere else.  The daily news is replete with instances of melt downs and other bad behaviors stemming from a sense of entitlement.  Just last week while taking my second shot on a hole the group behind me hit into me, their ball buzzed by waist high about two feet away landing about 20 yards in front of me.  I only hit a 200 yd drive so it would seem to me that prudence would dictate waiting on the tee shot till I moved up.  This is a safety not etiquette issue. I didn't confront them as I wasn't hit and who knows what sort of reaction I might receive.  They didn't come to apologize either.  A sign of the times I guess.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, CaptainPat said:

I'm not sure why we should expect a better standard of behavior at the golf course than we see at the local Wal Mart, fast food joint or just about anywhere else.  The daily news is replete with instances of melt downs and other bad behaviors stemming from a sense of entitlement.  Just last week while taking my second shot on a hole the group behind me hit into me, their ball buzzed by waist high about two feet away landing about 20 yards in front of me.  I only hit a 200 yd drive so it would seem to me that prudence would dictate waiting on the tee shot till I moved up.  This is a safety not etiquette issue. I didn't confront them as I wasn't hit and who knows what sort of reaction I might receive.  They didn't come to apologize either.  A sign of the times I guess.

Unfortunate, but true.

Taylormade  M Gloire Driver JDM 11.5*  - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade  M Gloire Fairway JDM 15* - Speeder Evolution SR

Daiwa ONOFF ARMS AKA Fairway JDM 21* - Daiwa MP-520F SR

Callaway  Epic Flash Fairway 25* - PX Evenflow 6.0

Callaway  Epic Max Fast Forged JDM 7 - AW - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Max Star JDM GW 48* - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM SW 55* - Nippon 950GH S

Mizuno  Tour Chipper 25*

Kasco  Red 9/9 Model 18 JDM Putter 

I'm walking with a pull cart and catch 2 60yo men.  They must be a "team"  both had teal shirts and tan shorts.

At the tee on 11 a 380 yard par 4 in the woods on an empty course day at my home course.(im a member).  I wait for them to clear the fairway and it's cart path only.  They drive to the approach and it's a straight par 4.  I hit my drive left edge of fairway 90 yards from green.  My driver is LOUD and we are in the woods so it's an echo chamber.  Remember I'm walking and it's 87° and I'm a sweathog at this point.  I address my ball and they are still putzing on the green.  I wait again for them to clear 2 minutes.   Once they drive their carts to the next hole I hit a dart to 15 feet.  The next tee overlooks my green.  They are just getting on the tee and I'm already 50 feet from my ball.  They easily see me playing my 3rd and I do so in seconds for a tap in par.  As I walk to my bag I look at them and I start walking to the elevated tee.  They intentionally don't look at me as they duff their drives 50 feet and the other goes block right into trees.  STILL they refuse to even look at me as I stand 20 yards away watching.   They leave the tee area to pick up their duff and I'm already teed up and watching.   They proceed to duff 4 more times from the fairway that's cart path only.  I wait and drive to 50 yards on the par 4 again they're on the green.  I get to my ball and wait again.   They leave I get on and quick 2putt.  Now im walking off my green 50 feet away and I see them duff their tee shots again!  This time they finally acknowledge me and let me through.   Just think how much more relaxed they would have been had they let me through the prior tee box.  SMH. 

I did say thank you and wished them a great round.

Edited by Thereisnospoon

On 6/28/2022 at 2:14 PM, elsie451 said:

Well, i once saw someone drive a cart into a bunker, take their shot and then drive off. Smh.

A guy I played with did this. He was a former Navy SEAL with an artificial leg, and our bunkers absolutely sucked. He did no damage. This was in the winter, and the bunkers were renovated in the spring.

On 6/28/2022 at 6:45 PM, ArtMBgolf said:

Today most new golfers learn on their own from other golfers who don't 
have good etiquette. 
 Sure some still learn from parents, who may not have good etiquette or programs 
like First Tee, etc. 

... I played with a very respectful high school player last year and he joined us as a single. Pretty good etiquette all in all but on his phone the entire front 9 and it caused a few hold ups but certainly nothing egregious. I asked him what he was looking at on his phone and he said "just friends and stuff" and I made a suggestion. Try the back 9 with his phone in the bag and he might have a different and perhaps enlightening experience. To my surprise he agreed. 

... There are 2 hawks that live on the course (his home high school course) and the female is huge. He got to see her descend on a rodent, kill it and fly off and was amazed as he had never seen a hawk on the course. When I told him I have probably played 500 rounds there and never not seen the hawks he seemed perplexed and said "how can that be?" and I replied your phone has your complete attention. It was like blinders had been lifted. He was a sophomore and all his Jr/Sr friends are on their phones all round so it was just how he learned to play. 

... Granted he was a very polite kid to begin with and serious about his game so he was open to a new experience. I shot a 69 and that certainly helped with him respecting me but I was 68 at the time and the perfect old man to ignore for a high school kid. He said he thought being off his phone might help his concentration in matches. Us older folk don't understand how important a phone is to the younger generation and for him to say he was going to give it up is a huge concession and I hope he followed through. Great kid and I really enjoyed playing with him but nobody had asked him about his phone so how would he know? 

• Confused 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

14 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Just now reading this on my phone, on the 6th hole...

... LOL I played with three early 20 somethings and two were on their phones off and on but the third was literally buried in it and never saw anything other than his own shots. I asked him on the 10th tee if he had to give up his phone or his car ... and that was as far as I got before he jumped in with "OMG my car for sure. I can uber or get my friends to drive me but I would be completely lost without my phone!" I asked what is he looking at and he said "Everything!" I asked like what and he said "Dude, you know, like everything". 🤦‍♂️

... I do get it though. My generation grew up with one phone in the kitchen and this generation grew up with a mobile computer in their hands as toddlers. Just a completely different world experience and unfair for one to judge the other. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

2 minutes ago, chisag said:

... LOL I played with three early 20 somethings and two were on their phones off and on but the third was literally buried in it and never saw anything other than his own shots. I asked him on the 10th tee if he had to give up his phone or his car ... and that was as far as I got before he jumped in with "OMG my car for sure. I can uber or get my friends to drive me but I would be completely lost without my phone!" I asked what is he looking at and he said "Everything!" I asked like what and he said "Dude, you know, like everything". 🤦‍♂️

r/thathappened

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2