2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Ping i230 pic

jwo

2 hours ago, Asizzle10 said:

Anyone come from Ping G400-430 irons? I love my G400s but my HCP has come down from 15-6 and wondering if I could gain some accuracy by switching. Or should I not mess with what’s working? Distance is not an issue for me.

I love the feel of the i230s and I am a mid handicap. I think they give plenty of forgiveness for what they are.

If distance isn’t an issue for you, I’d recommend trying them side by side, nothing to lose and you’ll have to replace your set eventually. It’s impossible for us to say if you would gain more accuracy, because so much goes into that beyond the club head. However if you are starting to wish that at times your irons were a bit smaller or sole narrower, or are finding it a bit more difficult to shape shots with than you would like, it may be worth looking into the i230s

On 2/10/2024 at 8:09 AM, Foreleft said:

Imagine if the i235 is the BP-S design and forging in the i size.

That would be a huge winner.  

I have the i230 but not a fan of the feel and design.  Loved the i200/210.

What did you like/dislike compared to the i210?

I'm looking to build a more forgiving set (currently play mbs) and am torn between the i210 and i230. Used heads are hard to source from either and prices look to be similar.

4 hours ago, Asizzle10 said:

Anyone come from Ping G400-430 irons? I love my G400s but my HCP has come down from 15-6 and wondering if I could gain some accuracy by switching. Or should I not mess with what’s working? Distance is not an issue for me.

I literally got fit on Wednesday, coming from g410. Tried the i230 and i525 and found the I 525 easier to hit, but I’ve had 14 years of big G irons so the i230s looked very small. I ended up in p790s as they’re smaller than the Gs but just as forgiving and had the lighter shaft I wanted so I didn’t need to work as hard on tired days.

Theres no harm in you trying them out, you may have a different experience to me.

Edited by philly2kuk
Phone autocorrect

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour 
Titleist ts3 21 Hzrdus Smoke
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Titleist Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Taylormade Myspider Tour X  
Taylormade speedsoft

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

7 hours ago, mgoblue83 said:

What did you like/dislike compared to the i210?

I'm looking to build a more forgiving set (currently play mbs) and am torn between the i210 and i230. Used heads are hard to source from either and prices look to be similar.

I prefer the feel of the i210, as it feels more solid to me than the i230.  I230 feel to me seems artificially dampened.  Also prefer the i210 long irons, which seems to have a longer blade length and more of a progressive set.  I230, for me, also has more left bias than the 210, at the same LLL and shaft set up.

I do prefer the look of the offset progression on the i230. Long iron appearance seem to have less offset (they don’t - same amount), but hides it better.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, C_rad said:

Been playing the pro223 for a year now, and i must admit, i always have those i230 in my mind. 
i will try to find a trade…

Not sure what you’d have to trade but I’m always open to discussion.  I have 5-PW black dot, 1/2” over, DG120 X100, Power Spec in excellent shape if their is interest.

TaylorMade Qi10 Core 10.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5TX Hulk

TaylorMade SIM Max 12 HZRDUS Black 4Gen 60 6.0

Srixon ZX4 MkII 4 iron Nippon Modus 105X

Srixon ZX5 MkII 5-PW Nippon Modus 105X

Cleveland RTX 48 DG120 X100

Cleveland RTX 6 52 & 56 DG120 X100

Cleveland Full Face 60 DG Spinner

Bettinardi BB28

5 minutes ago, Mookie91 said:

Not sure what you’d have to trade but I’m always open to discussion.  I have 5-PW black dot, 1/2” over, DG120 X100, Power Spec in excellent shape if their is interest.

Appreciate the offer. But not my spec unfortunately. Otherwise, i would have jump on them! 

• Like 1

Titleist 915 d2
Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

[u]project x L.Z 5.5[/u]:
Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
Nike engage 52 square,
56 toe sweep
60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag

17 minutes ago, C_rad said:

Appreciate the offer. But not my spec unfortunately. Otherwise, i would have jump on them! 

My swing wasn’t fantastic last year so I went back to my 225s. Like any WRX Ho I bought ZX5 Mk II this year but may give the I230s a go again at some point.

• Like 1

Bettinardi BB28

Ping repair/customer service is freaking awesome. My i230’s got there late Monday for loft/lie, shipped back out Tuesday and got them on Thursday. Also found out if I wanted to add a new 4 iron to my set they can make it with same serial # as set I already have. May not be a big deal to some, but I think matching #’s helps a bit with resale but not necessarily trade. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

My I230 are on BST.  Sticking with ZX5.  They were solid but man did I spin them a bunch.

Bettinardi BB28

3 hours ago, Foreleft said:

Anyone considering moving from i230 to BPS?

Since I am not in love with my i230’s, I will demo the BPS (along with Miz 243) on a launch monitor and outside to get a feel for the difference.  I know I will gain feel, but concerned about losing forgiveness in the longer irons.

I have played i230s off and on for about a year. They split time with my Artisan HC set. If I am not swinging well and need the forgiveness, I tend toward the i230. They are so good for me on both toe and thin strikes. 

Last week I had a fitting day at Ping proving grounds. I tried the BPS along with i230. For ME, the BPS did not spin as much as i230 for two reasons: BPS I couldn’t quite strike them perfectly enough, and they don’t have micromax grooves. 

Both of those reasons led us to choosing i230. I just ended up with a different shaft than I had in my existing set. 

Long irons in the BPS at least have that polymer fill, so it should help with ball speed. But that’s assuming you have pretty good strike control. As a 10 handicap with low point issues, the BPS was just too demanding for me except for my best days. I don’t often have my best days. 

• Thanks 1

Dr - still working on it

G430 Max 15 / PING Tour Black 2.0 75S

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

U505 22 / HZRDUS RDX 6.0 80Hy

i230 6-P / Modus 115S

s159 50, 54, 58 / Modus 125 Wedge

LAB DF3

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks. Bit of a hyper-specific question for Ping i230 users here... How have folks gotten along with the PW and U wedges?

Recently I've been struggling from 120 yards and in, and just lengthened my RTX 54º and 58º to be the same length as the i230 wedges. While doing that, I was a bit shocked to see the bounce on the i230 PW and U wedges is 13º - which seems like a lot!

I do have a tendency to thin the U wedge when the turf is harder. Are other folks playing the i230 PW and UW? How are you getting on with them?

G430 Max 10K (10.5º) - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º) - G425 4 Hybrid - i230 5-UW - RTX6 54º and 58º - LAB Golf DF3

3 hours ago, Rearviewmirror said:

Hey folks. Bit of a hyper-specific question for Ping i230 users here... How have folks gotten along with the PW and U wedges?

Recently I've been struggling from 120 yards and in, and just lengthened my RTX 54º and 58º to be the same length as the i230 wedges. While doing that, I was a bit shocked to see the bounce on the i230 PW and U wedges is 13º - which seems like a lot!

I do have a tendency to thin the U wedge when the turf is harder. Are other folks playing the i230 PW and UW? How are you getting on with them?

Like the PW but not a fan of the UW. Not a bounce issue, just seems to want to pull left.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bettinardi BB28

19 hours ago, Rearviewmirror said:

I've been seriously thinking about going back to a 50º S159. It's not so much the angle, rather the angle and width in combination that makes the U a tight-lie fright. It's probably not bad statistically, but it feels like I have to be careful with it more than most. I pull it a lot less around the greens because it's a spicy face.

• Like 1

RogueST 9@11º 3D (ADDI 6X), 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg

14 hours ago, 54CW said:

Also, is any playing the 3 iron? I love 3 iron off the tee so I’m curious how that works in this set. I’ve seen a lot of 4 irons mostly. 

Long term 3-iron user and I actually ended up switching out the 4-iron for a 4 hybrid. I couldn't find consistency of strike with it from anything other than pristine fairway lies, vs a hybrid which I can hit from rough and fairway bunkers. My guess is unless you're a scratch+ level ball striker with high clubhead speed the 3-iron might be challenging. 

1 hour ago, karstens_ghost said:

I've been seriously thinking about going back to a 50º S159. It's not so much the angle, rather the angle and width in combination that makes the U a tight-lie fright. It's probably not bad statistically, but it feels like I have to be careful with it more than most. I pull it a lot less around the greens because it's a spicy face.

This definitely mirrors my experience. When I first got it (fall, slightly softer fairways) it felt fairly dialled in, but now I feel like I'm 30% likely to thin one over the back of the green. I'm considering grabbing an RTX 50º to see how it compares.

• Thanks 1

G430 Max 10K (10.5º) - Ping G425 Max 3W (14.5º) - Ping G425 Max 5W (18.5º) - G425 4 Hybrid - i230 5-UW - RTX6 54º and 58º - LAB Golf DF3

4 hours ago, MMB1500 said:

I'm in the market for new irons and am torn between the i230s, JPX 923 Forged and Cobra King Tour. 

While the Mizunos have stronger lofts and a hotter face, consistency is more important to me than 10 extra yards, which is where the i230s and Cobras excel. More testing to be done. 🤔

I was in the same position as you. i230 vs Cobra King Tour. I ultimately went with the Cobra's but the only deciding factors were feel and looks. I think both of those irons are some of the most consistent on the market. You can't go wrong with either.

I liked the JPX forged as well but I wanted to get away from the stronger lofts. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 54CW said:

@Rearviewmirror thanks. I’m probably sticking with my 3h. 

I’m also not seeing much about retro spec in my searches. Has anyone tried the higher lofts? 

I think the market for i230 retro lofts is going to be limited.  I play a set and they launch and spin like a traditional 34-35 degree 7 iron at their stock loft.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Roger Dunn had a set of Smacwrap in stock today and finally got to hit them. These haven't been on my radar for a while but are again now. The graphite really helps with the feel

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9°@11° Tensei Raw First responders TX

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15 degree Ventus TR

Cobra RADSpeed Tour 19 Motore X F1

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 Hazard Smoke
Cobra King Tour 5-G Project X LS120 6.0  

New Level SPN Milled 53 
Cleveland Tour Rack RTX Zipcore 58 DG GRIND
SWAG Savage AF Raw LA Golf SOHO

On 3/24/2024 at 5:46 AM, karstens_ghost said:

Similar boat I came from Mizuno 225s like the included gap wedge, I cannot get along with the i230 u wedge. I have a back up set of Mp 18 sc and t22 wedges 50-54-58 I feel more consistent and have better timing same shaft in both project x 6.5 

This might be the first time where Ping's U Wedge isn't a legend. Quite jarring.

RogueST 9@11º 3D (ADDI 6X), 425 3w 14.5º (TourX), 430 3h 19º & 4 iCross (HZRDUS Red 6.0), i230 5-U, G4 54º, GFP 59º (DART105F4). 2021 Fetch (BGT Tour Black).

"Golf is just a dance with a stick, and a ball tells you how good a dancer you are."  LCP150mm in your fairway should be a full-time rule.

Ping-logo-283444624.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...