2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Should a ball last more than one or two shots?

HISPL

I had a box of ProV1's that multiple balls cut off wedge shots. Just a bad batch. Switched to a fresh box and they were fine. 

• Haha 1

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x 

On 7/31/2022 at 7:28 AM, HISPL said:

Absolutely it is, when I took the balls into the pro shop and spoke to the manager I felt the tone of the conversation coming from him was that I should just “suck it up” and deal with it…

Likely he is the same person that recommended the club sign the exclusive supply deal for balls with Acushnet.

I mean, the proshop generally isn't going to do anything. Go directly to the OEM

I usually play mid priced srixon and Wilson balls. I am basically a 20 Capp and can hit a ball badly...leading edge or tree/road shot. None of these show abnormal wear after two or three holes.

Unless its a bad ball batch or something going on with the wedge...I play a 6 year old set (60-70 rounds yearly) and a set of ping eye 2's (gotta be from 91/92) and no ball problems from the clubs.

Played a second round on a Vice pro plus shade, and only a minor scuff from a cart path bounce, still very playable. 

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

There are no "BAD BATCHES" , if they find a cosmetic problem, a blem., it goes off somewhere else. But golf balls that ding up differently than the same ball, using the same wedge, not happening. It's the same ballNo Way GIF, cooked the same and it is not going to be different one box to the next. Uh,uh, NOPE

Edited by jwb10

On 7/29/2022 at 8:29 PM, GingerBubba said:

People keep the same ball for six rounds!!?! Does your course not have OB/water/rough/trees/grass/stuff? I'm glad when I hold onto one for six holes!!!

Last week i had a ball make it one whole round.  Regardless of score that’s big day for me! (Side note..decided to push my luck and promtly lost said ball on it’s 20th hole). 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 2

20 hours ago, jwb10 said:

There are no "bad BATCHES" , if they find a cosmetic problem, a blem., it goes off somewhere else. But golf balls that ding up differently than the same ball, using the same wedge, not happening. It's the same ballNo Way GIF, cooked the same and it is not going to be different one box to the next. Uh,uh, NOPE

I don't know where Pro V1 balls that don't meet QA standards end up these days but it doesn't appear to be in boxes of Pro V1 practice balls available to the general public.  Could be that "good enough" has changed but it could be any number of other reasons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cardigan said:

I don't know where Pro V1 balls that don't meet QA standards end up these days but it doesn't appear to be in boxes of Pro V1 practice balls available to the general public.  Could be that "good enough" has changed but it could be any number of other reasons.

Again, anyone could be hit by an asteroid. It's a point, just not a fair one. Who here thinks Titleist is sending out "bad Batches' that happen to be in just one box. Correct, no one. Bad wedges, as the Nike one above, will shred steel. But that's not a ball issue. And , we all await photos of these shredded pellets.....

Shred It Paper GIF by Best Facilities

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, jwb10 said:

Again, anyone could be hit by an asteroid. It's a point, just not a fair one. Who here thinks Titleist is sending out "bad Batches' that happen to be in just one box. Correct, no one. Bad wedges, as the Nike one above, will shred steel. But that's not a ball issue. And , we all await photos of these shredded pellets.....

Shred It Paper GIF by Best Facilities

I would not be the least bit surprised that there are boxes or even complete batches that are more out of spec than others.  Doesn't need to be anything nefarious for that to happen.  Titelist is known for the quality of their balls but that doesn't mean that they are perfect.  No company is.

52 minutes ago, cardigan said:

I would not be the least bit surprised that there are boxes or even complete batches that are more out of spec than others.  Doesn't need to be anything nefarious for that to happen.  Titelist is known for the quality of their balls but that doesn't mean that they are perfect.  No company is.

Got it, there is no evidence, or proof. Surprise doesn't enter into the analysis, as that is an emotional reaction. So, again, do you know of anything that would support your lack of surprise ? Just wondering because I haven't.

28 minutes ago, jwb10 said:

Got it, there is no evidence, or proof. Surprise doesn't enter into the analysis, as that is an emotional reaction. So, again, do you know of anything that would support your lack of surprise ? Just wondering because I haven't.

I just think it's irrational to believe that Titelist is incapable of putting out a box of balls that is below their normal standards.  Apparently their reputation for quality is so high that even a rare report of something to the contrary is met with shock and disbelief and the assumption that anyone saying it either doesn't know their equipment, got counterfeit balls or is outright lying.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, cardigan said:

I just think it's irrational to believe that Titelist is incapable of putting out a box of balls that is below their normal standards.  Apparently their reputation for quality is so high that even a rare report of something to the contrary is met with shock and disbelief and the assumption that anyone saying it either doesn't know their equipment, got counterfeit balls or is outright lying.

I chewed up two brand new ProV1s in the same sleeve with different wedges. One of them was hit thin, the other was not. I think it's not crazy to say that those balls had issues.

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x 

are there such things as "Tour" balls like their are "tour issue" heads/shafts etc?  I recognize the tolerances for the tour issue stuff is much smaller, but would they be the same for balls?  I understand there are different models available that are not retail, but are the most updated ProV1 or TP5x that are on the shelf of the store the same as the ones sitting in JT or DJ's locker on Thursday morning (assuming they don't play a special version)?

Edited by j.b.newton

If you are concerned about durability and want to play a urethane covered ball, try the Spalding SD Tour  and SD Tour X.  They can be had for less than $20 a dozen for sure.  Some folks on this board found them on clearance at Walmart for $5.  I find sellers on ebay who will take less than $12 a dozen for them sometimes  (if you buy multiple).   They aren't a bad ball (especially for the price).   Their compression rating falls in line with Titleist.   I cannot speak to their QC because I haven't checked them for a roundness test or anything  but they are pretty durable. 

I play Pro V1/Pro V1x  but sometimes take along a couple Spaldings  (especially early in the year).  Urethane balls will eventually break down  and shred, but shouldn't after 1 or 2 shots. 

4 minutes ago, j.b.newton said:

are there such things as "Tour" balls like their are "tour issue" heads/shafts etc?  I understand there are different models available that are not retail, but are the most updated ProV1 or TP5x that are on the shelf of the store the same as the ones sitting in JT or DJ's locker on Thursday morning (assuming they don't play a special version)?

If they have the same markings, they are supposed to be the same ball.  Whether or not they go through any additional/different QC processing/testing is unknown.  I would doubt that any OEM would admit to it if it was the case.

3 minutes ago, j.b.newton said:

are there such things as "Tour" balls like their are "tour issue" heads/shafts etc?  I recognize the tolerances for the tour issue stuff is much smaller, but would they be the same for balls?  I understand there are different models available that are not retail, but are the most updated ProV1 or TP5x that are on the shelf of the store the same as the ones sitting in JT or DJ's locker on Thursday morning (assuming they don't play a special version)?

The balls the Tour Pros  play are the same as the retail versions.  Again, this is assuming they aren't playing a special version  (left dot, left dash -before they hit retail, there was  a Titleist ball with a star on it, Callaway had a few variations of the Chrome Soft that were Tour only because they were tweaked in some way, etc). 

3 minutes ago, Anser3 said:

If you are concerned about durability and want to play a urethane covered ball, try the Spalding SD Tour  and SD Tour X.  They can be had for less than $20 a dozen for sure.  Some folks on this board found them on clearance at Walmart for $5.  I find sellers on ebay who will take less than $12 a dozen for them sometimes  (if you buy multiple).   They aren't a bad ball (especially for the price).   Their compression rating falls in line with Titleist.   I cannot speak to their QC because I haven't checked them for a roundness test or anything  but they are pretty durable. 

I play Pro V1/Pro V1x  but sometimes take along a couple Spaldings  (especially early in the year).  Urethane balls will eventually break down  and shred, but shouldn't after 1 or 2 shots. 

I still have a few dozen Spalding SD Tour X balls from when Walmart was clearing them out.  I've personally never had a durability issue with them but there have been at least a couple of threads around here where folks have reported issues with covers shredding.

3 minutes ago, cardigan said:

I still have a few dozen Spalding SD Tour X balls from when Walmart was clearing them out.  I've personally never had a durability issue with them but there have been at least a couple of threads around here where folks have reported issues with covers shredding.

Interesting.  For $1 - $1.50 a ball, it is easier to take  than a $4 ball shredding.  I still use those Spaldings over forced water carries.  I know it's not recommended to play different balls,  but my game is nowhere Tour level and I'd rather drown a Spalding than a Pro V1.  Overall, do you like the SD Tour?

4 hours ago, Anser3 said:

Interesting.  For $1 - $1.50 a ball, it is easier to take  than a $4 ball shredding.  I still use those Spaldings over forced water carries.  I know it's not recommended to play different balls,  but my game is nowhere Tour level and I'd rather drown a Spalding than a Pro V1.  Overall, do you like the SD Tour?

After getting a box of the Tour and the Tour X, I preferred the Tour X just putting and chipping so I got more Tour X and gave away the others so I wouldn't say that I have much experience with the Tour.  I've had no issues with them but they are really just part of the stash now and I rarely play them.  Lower quality paint than typical premium balls so they can get pretty dingy but the covers have held up well for me.  I would doubt that the quality is a consistent with them as it is with more premium models but I haven't seen that personally.  I would still probably tell folks that if the KSig works for you it's "probably" a better option as far a quality, consistency, and availability at a budget price but it's just not a ball that works for everyone.  And there's also the possibility that the Spalding urethane balls will just disappear at some point.  No info at all on if they are still being produced and they are not widely available.  Seems like ebay is the best option for them.

18 hours ago, chippa13 said:

As to this thread, I'm going with the age old Internet forum standby, "Pics or it didn't happen".

I second that. Sounds like BS to me.

• Haha 2

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

18 hours ago, cardigan said:

After getting a box of the Tour and the Tour X, I preferred the Tour X just putting and chipping so I got more Tour X and gave away the others so I wouldn't say that I have much experience with the Tour.  I've had no issues with them but they are really just part of the stash now and I rarely play them.  Lower quality paint than typical premium balls so they can get pretty dingy but the covers have held up well for me.  I would doubt that the quality is a consistent with them as it is with more premium models but I haven't seen that personally.  I would still probably tell folks that if the KSig works for you it's "probably" a better option as far a quality, consistency, and availability at a budget price but it's just not a ball that works for everyone.  And there's also the possibility that the Spalding urethane balls will just disappear at some point.  No info at all on if they are still being produced and they are not widely available.  Seems like ebay is the best option for them.

I wouldn't use the Spalding SD Tour X as my "go to"  ball.  But for the price  (especially when you get get them for under  $12  per dozen), they are worth it to me.  Again,  I use them mainly over forced water carries or days where I'm just not hitting well and don't feel like losing Pro V1's.   Though, there might be some self-fulfilling prophecy to that 😄

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

There are doubters in this thread that this is possible, so I'll mention that I had the same experience:  a single full wedge shot would take shreds from the cover of Titleist Pro V1 Left Dash balls.  I in fact found this thread because I was searching to see if anyone else was having problems with them shredding on full wedges! These shreds were clearly at the spacing of the grooves and would usually remain attached to the ball.   It was as if someone had taken parallel razors and peeled up the cover of the ball about 1/16", or removed a series of 1/16" strips.   I'm a moderately fast swinger (~100 yard somewhat delofted 60 deg) but nothing extreme.

There were a couple main oddities about my experience, though.  First, I had recently thoroughly cleaned the grooves on my wedges with a Nu Groove Sharpening Tool.  I had very beaten up wedges, and decided to do something about it.  I don't think I made the grooves any wider, but I definitely took off some metal that had rolled over the edge and made them narrower in places.  Second, the balls were purchased used, and thus I don't know their history.  They generally seemed new and undamaged, but for all I know they might have been at the bottom of a lake or being damaged by desert UV for months.  

My recollection was the the problem was significantly worse with high loft wedges, and only happened with full swings.    I did experience this with a few other balls as well (Chrome Soft X LS is the one I recall) but it was worst with the Left Dash.  I don't recall having this problem with the standard Pro V1 or Pro V1X, or if I did, it was much less severe.  I really liked almost everything about the Left Dash except for the problems I was having with durability.   I've been wondering if I should try some brand new Left Dash balls in case it was a problem with the ones I had, or whether this would be a waste of money. 

Anyway, my guess would be that the problem arises when there is a combination of:

1. Balls with very thin outer covers 
  2. Moderately high or higher swing speeds
  3. High lofted clubs with sharp grooves.
  4. Maybe something about ball condition... 

On 7/29/2022 at 1:34 PM, jwb10 said:

I use the same ball; no issue. It’s the wedge 

I use all the pro v1 range from time to time, play a used sm8 wedge and a brand new sm9 lob wedge with no issues at all. I agree with you. Unless I hit a tree, cart path or thin it I’ve never cut a titleist. Can’t say the same for callaway and Taylormade balls.

Edited by philly2kuk
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour regular
Taylormade Rescue Dual 22 Stiff
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Taylormade MySpider Tour X plumber’s neck
Pro v1

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

• 4 weeks later...