2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Japanese Players Distance Irons?

captwilks67

Hello! Looking to try out the Japanese forged feel and curious what people recommend in the players distance catagory? 

i personally love the feel of my Srixon ZX5s and the performance and forgiveness I get from my p790s so looking for something in that category. Currently scoring in the mid 90s and have been playing for 3 months. So forgiveness is needed  

Driver: TSR3 9 degree Driver, Tensai 1k white 6x 

3 Wood: TSR2 15 degree 3W, Tensai 1k Orange 7x 

Hybrids: G430 3 & 4 Hybrid, Ventus Blue HB 8x 

Irons: Miura CB302 w/ Oban 115x 

Wedges: Edel SMS Wedges 50, 54, & 58 w/ BGT 125 Shafts

Putter: Scotty Newport Super Select 2.5+

Not JDM, but I've started gaming the Wishon 565MC's (https://wishongolf.com/designs/iron-sets/new-565mc-forged-irons/) and they are incredible. Likely not classed as distance irons as the lofts are more traditional, but the forged feel matched with the forgiveness they offer is amazing (subjective opinion of course). I'm a high 80s/low 90s scorer.

Some others:

OnOff Kuro and/or AKA - I know the 2015 Kuro's were amazing, but again... not really distance irons. 

PRGR Egg - Never used them but lots of people rave about them.

On the subject of distance irons, I presume it's just the de-lofting from traditional that puts them in that category? If so, then just club down. 😉

There's also this old thread from 2016. May still be useful as JDM 'tech' in forged irons doesn't change much over time... 

Edited by DMG_Golf

11 hours ago, captwilks67 said:

Hello! Looking to try out the Japanese forged feel and curious what people recommend in the players distance catagory? 

i personally love the feel of my Srixon ZX5s and the performance and forgiveness I get from my p790s so looking for something in that category. Currently scoring in the mid 90s and have been playing for 3 months. So forgiveness is needed  

honestly shooting in the 90s in three months is extraordinarily impressive. I wouldn’t change a thing for now, but you’re here asking so here goes.

Technically your ZX5s are endo forged, so while they’re not JDM they’re made by one of the most famous Japanese club producers, so you are getting that endo forged quality with the clubs (even though they are two piece forgings). So in some respects, you already have the club you’re asking for.

That said, in general, when people here rave about the “true JDM forged feel” is something usually attributed to one piece forgings (or one piece forgings for the head which are spinwelded onto the hosel) which often don’t come with some extra forgiveness or distance.

The iron that probably may be closest to fitting everything you’re asking for would be the Miura CB-301. With that said it’s going to come at a high price and won’t have forgiveness in the way your P790s/or maybe even ZX5s do.

But again, it’s hard to suggest that you try something different at this point, since you’re doing so well with the clubs you have. May want to keep using them for a year or so then get fit by someone who carries some JDM clubs. Some of best club fitting places will have Proto-C, Miura, and maybe even Epons, and it may be worth a fitting given the cost.

Edited by NNJ

I personally didn’t get along with mizuno 225s sadly. I do love my Srixons. The Muira cbs are of high interest to me 

9 minutes ago, mrshinsa said:

I believe both the p790 and the ZX5 are "forged face" on cast body, which won't give a truly forged "feel".

Pro 225 on the other is a forged body, with a cast back piece.

https://mizunogolf.com/us/golf-clubs/mp-series/mizuno-pro-225/

I believe this is the case for the 790s, but the ZX-5s are a forged SUP face and forged 1020 body. Either way, based on the way OP’s question was worded he probably was not wondering about Srixon or Mizuno (or any two piece forgings), but just wanted to make sure he knew that he was carrying an endo forged club already, that he’s shooting extremely well with and probably should keep in the bag for now 🙂

Per Srixon's website:

"MULTI-PIECE CONSTRUCTION
Tungsten in the toe of ZX5's long and mid irons (3i-7i) increases MOI for more stability and forgiveness. A forged SUP10 face enhances speed and distance while a forged 1020 Carbon Steel body absorbs vibrations for an extremely soft feel."

Edited by NNJ

19 minutes ago, NNJ said:

honestly shooting in the 90s in three months is extraordinarily impressive. I wouldn’t change a thing for now, but you’re here asking so here goes.

Technically your ZX5s are endo forged, so while they’re not JDM they’re made by one of the most famous Japanese club producers, so you are getting that endo forged quality with the clubs (even though they are two piece forgings). So in some respects, you already have the club you’re asking for.

That said, in general, when people here rave about the “true JDM forged feel” is something usually attributed to one piece forgings (or one piece forgings for the head which are spinwelded onto the hosel) which often don’t come with some extra forgiveness or distance.

The iron that probably may be closest to fitting everything you’re asking for would be the Miura CB-301. With that said it’s going to come at a high price and won’t have forgiveness in the way your P790s/or maybe even ZX5s do.

But again, it’s hard to suggest that you try something different at this point, since you’re doing so well with the clubs you have. May want to keep using them for a year or so then get fit by someone who carries some JDM clubs. Some of best club fitting places will have Proto-C, Miura, and maybe even Epons, and it may be worth a fitting given the cost.

Thank you! I practice every day and try to play twice a week. The p790s are my current gamer but I recently picked up the Srixons and love the feel and now I’m chasing that in a full forged body. 

Others are correct in the 'famed feel' will not be present in any multi-piece heads even if they are JDM, but they'll still feel good.

I love my Honma TR20Ps - they feel as good or better than any NA market hollow/foam filled players distance iron. They also look better at address by a long shot.

• Like 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

On 8/1/2022 at 8:26 PM, DMG_Golf said:

There's also this old thread from 2016. May still be useful as JDM 'tech' in forged irons doesn't change much over time... 

Hey that's my old thread lol 😝 Still here haha

I ended up with Epon 302s for a while now playin 2015 OnOff Kuros for the last 7 years.  They are very nice, but wouldn't call a distance iron. Only thing recently that I would love to try but are very pricey and rarely on used market are Epon AF-506.  Maybe one day try them at a fitters.... But really not looking to change unless something was surprisingly good enough to kick OnOffs out the bag... but misses are my fault not the clubs 🦖

Edited by Barfolomew
  • Like 3

Can't figure how to like my own posts

9 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Others are correct in the 'famed feel' will not be present in any multi-piece heads even if they are JDM, but they'll still feel good.

The “famed feel” will also not be present in a single piece head if you don’t hit the center, and many of us are human (and OP noted that he wants some forgiveness). Some Japanese 2-piece forgings feel better on slight misshits (but still give feedback) than a 1-piece forging…

it’s why, although I want more than anything to game my CB-57s, I’ve traded them for something a bit more forgiving…

2017 and newer OnOff Kuro's are hollow bodied like the P790. Haven't tried them, though.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Aldila RIP Phenom 50 A
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

Look for 2013 or 2015 OnOff Kuros. They are a little larger profile (not big, but bigger than tiny) and will be among most forgiving true forged (as in the head comes from one billet of steel) JDM irons out there. Great, great irons with a strong cult following. Another one would be the Miura Passing Point 9003 irons, which are very nice and forgiving. 

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I find and play 2011 Onoff CB Kuro's  somewhat players distance category as well as the Miura 9003 Passing Point Straight Necks!

TM Tour Issue M6 10.5 GD ADDI 7S
TM The One 13.5 GD Accra TZ
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow 85 S
Onoff 2011 4-Pw Roddio Pentacross I-10 SX flex
Wilson Staff Forged 52, 56 & 60  & Miura KM-350 putter

5 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Look for 2013 or 2015 OnOff Kuros. They are a little larger profile (not big, but bigger than tiny) and will be among most forgiving true forged (as in the head comes from one billet of steel) JDM irons out there. Great, great irons with a strong cult following. Another one would be the Miura Passing Point 9003 irons, which are very nice and forgiving. 

I bought New Level 902PDs to give them a run 

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a set of kuros on eBay! We shall see what the hype is all about. 

On 8/1/2022 at 12:21 PM, captwilks67 said:

Look at PRGR 01 or Yonex CB 702.

Ryoma DSI or the Baldo 8C Craft.  Super strong lofted with SGI cavity forgiveness. The Ryoma more so.

Drivers : Callaway Paradym Sanki Planarian - Ginnico Black Star Arch-KaMs 16509 - TRPX S-013 Xanadu - Waccine Wac LS-01 COA Rolling Angel
FW : Ping G425 14.5*/17.5* Arch-Kams WL/WH-01

UTs : Ping G425 19* Arch-Kams UTR - Callaway Paradym 20* Arch-Kams UTH
Irons : Grind Studio Proto - Itobori MXH - Titleist CNCPT02 - Tourstage MR-23 US Spec
Wedges : Artisan - Grind Studio- JP Premier
Putters : Benock - BPutters - Ingles - Lajosi - Low Tide - Machine - MackMade - Mannkrafted - Masda Gold'sFactory - Nead - Swag - TP Mills - Xenon

I’d be looking at the Fourteen t-b5.  I’ve never hit them but they are very intriguing.  Really at 3 months of play I would just play the Srixons or Tmades.  If the money isn’t a big deal and you want to try something new then by al means do it but do it with your eyes wide open.  I buy various clubs every year but I am fairly well aware that they are not going to help my scoring much if at all,  I enjoy it though.  After playing for such a short time it is very likely that your tastes and interests will change though, so it may make sense to wait.  Either way, have fun and check out the tb5’s

Go hit the CB-301’s if you can. I think they’re forgiving enough if you’re in the correct specs. I was fit into mine, and for me they were significantly better than the 921 forged, ZX5, Tr20, Af-505… I’m a little shallow, so the leading edge relief was a big benefit for my swing. Plus you can’t beat the sound and feel; so solid and dense. 

Forgot about the ultimate sleeper set. Honma TW-X. There's a lengthy thread here, where everyone raves about them. I use the 3 iron, and it's fantastic. I think last year you could pick up new sets for $500-$600.

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Aldila RIP Phenom 50 A
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

• 2 weeks later...

As others have stated the 2015 OnOff Kuro Irons are not exactly a distance Iron but they are extremely forgiving and the feel in my opinion is at the Top of the

Mountain.  I strayed for 18 months with ZX7 but I'm back and they are as good as I remembered. 

My original Set from 2015 ....  Man that bag was Strong 🙂

onoff-bag.jpg

Edited by Tzoid

Titleist TSi3  ,Ventus Blue 6S  Velocore

Ping G425 14.5  Fairway ,Tensei  AV Orange 75

Ping G425 17.5 Fairway  ,Tensei  CK Orange 75

Ping Anser 23 degree Hybrid

OnOff 2015 Kuro Irons ,Nippon Modus Tour 120

Scratch 50 ,54,58 Wedges  ,Nippon WV 115 Wedge Shafts

Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport  2+ 

Titleist Pro V1x

JDM is a Rabbit Hole so do your research.  Check out Tour Spec Golf.

https://www.tourspecgolf.com/

Titleist Pro V1x

On 9/12/2022 at 7:36 PM, Tzoid said:

As others have stated the 2015 OnOff Kuro Irons are not exactly a distance Iron but they are extremely forgiving and the feel in my opinion is at the Top of the

Mountain.  I strayed for 18 months with ZX7 but I'm back and they are as good as I remembered. 

My original Set from 2015 ....  Man that bag was Strong 🙂

/cdn-cgi/mirage/1d42a3caaf219f4f4a6a05c407ffc165e53a916b-1663123177-1800/1280//wrxcdn.golfwrx.com/uploads/monthly_2022_09/onoff-bag.jpg.14f13cea8f8ca5d6d87eb3fd528fc111.jpg

I’m gaming new levels now and have a set of on off Kuros sitting in my office. They aren’t shafted with the shaft I use though, but I do have a extra set of modus 105s sitting around. 

10 hours ago, captwilks67 said:

I’m gaming new levels now and have a set of on off Kuros sitting in my office. They aren’t shafted with the shaft I use though, but I do have a extra set of modus 105s sitting around. 

I just sent you a PM .. 

Titleist Pro V1x