2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

LIV Tour Discussion Thread (*** NO POLITICS ***)

SheriffBooth

8 hours ago, Golferpaul said:

This is true. Compare it to the PGAT..... the place where Monahan can delete any golfers he chooses to delete even if they have some of the best careers in the history of golf.

Wiki has the accurate lifetime earnings list.  NOT the PGAT website.

It's embarrassing that Wiki, which can be edited by anybody, would be more accurate than the PGAT website.

I’d say it’s accurate for current pga tour players. Or players on good standing. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

8 hours ago, Golferpaul said:

The only question in my mind is "do you want to have the best US players on the US team?"  If the answer is yes, then it shouldn't matter what tour they play or if they are a club pro.  Nobody should be disqualified for the tour they choose to play or to not play.  The only legitimate debate is about who the best 12 US golfers are at selection time.

That’s incredibly subjective though.  One of the 12 best us players might still be in college.  But they don’t qualify due to where they play or don’t play.  Same as the LIV.    

Brooks might or might not even qualify as such . Who are we comparing him to , as far as team play record. His isn’t stellar.  6-5-1 I believe. That’s basically a coin flip . 

• Like 2

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I'm wondering what drives decisions one way or another when it comes to sponsorships at this point. TM cut DJ from all ads and players events while Adidas didn't renew with him. Titleist similarly removed Cam Smith from their site and all materials. Srixon had their "major" ad running with Koepka in the 3rd slot this past weekend and has him prominently featured on the main page currently. Nike hasn't pulled any contracts AFAIK and don't run features the way they used to when they had a full lineup of gear so no real difference there.

Interesting seeing it play out so differently between brands.

12 hours ago, NormanFan said:

Except those WGC events happened like three times a year.  LIV is running what, like 14 events a year?  Plus, I'd argue that the 16 player difference is big, especially when you consider the quality top to bottom of those WGC events versus what LIV has, which are very stratified in terms of ability.

one would think that goes without saying, but apparently not ... LIV events aren't in the same universe as a wgc event in terms of talent/depth ... 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/golf/2023/05/22/sergio-garcia-qualifies-us-open-tiger-woods-withdraws/51517509/

see ... there IS a pathway to the majors for liv players ... play well in the US Open and one could be invited to the others (sergio obviously already qualifies for one of them) ... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MoeMoe said:

That's better Rory. 

ror.jpg.e2b4a4bd7364ecdd4977917ac22a5651.jpg

Wouldn't it be nice if Jay Monahan was man enough to reciprocate and congratulate the 2023 PGA Championship winner, Brooks Koepka?  

What some PGAT players have said:

“Brooks dominated this day. Guy knows how to play in majors, incredibly impressive! Congrats to Brooks and his team on another trophy” – Justin Thomas, two-time PGA Championship winner 

“Brooks is a great player, and now he has five majors. I mean, that's a hell of a record right there. It's not easy going toe to toe with a guy like that. He is not going to give you anything.” – Viktor Hovland, 2023 PGA Championship runner-up (T-2) 

“Greatest player in Majors in the last 15 years! Congrats to @BKoepka on his 5th Major! Awesome job buddy!” – Billy Horschel 

Edited by GreatStrike
orthography
  • Like 2

There are two things you can learn by stopping your backswing at the top and checking the position of your hands: how many hands you have, and which one is wearing the glove.

1 hour ago, GreatStrike said:

Wouldn't it be nice if Jay Monahan was man enough to reciprocate and congratulate the 2023 PGA Championship winner, Brooks Koepka?  

What some PGAT players have said:

“Brooks dominated this day. Guy knows how to play in majors, incredibly impressive! Congrats to Brooks and his team on another trophy” – Justin Thomas, two-time PGA Championship winner 

“Brooks is a great player, and now he has five majors. I mean, that's a hell of a record right there. It's not easy going toe to toe with a guy like that. He is not going to give you anything.” – Viktor Hovland, 2023 PGA Championship runner-up (T-2) 

“Greatest player in Majors in the last 15 years! Congrats to @BKoepka on his 5th Major! Awesome job buddy!” – Billy Horschel 

Reciprocate???

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, idrive said:

Brooks winning doesn't validate liv. Brooks was Brooks long before going to liv.

It's been said over and over they have a handful of guys that are some of the best players in the world.  You'd expect these handful to continue to be relevant.  As far as the rest of livs field they are truly a bunch of names that are well past their prime or have no history of having any relevance or elite status,

Nothings changed.

Congrats to Brooks.

ill post this response when the us open rolls around and you have guys on here saying stuff about 54 hole grand slam winners and how bad phil looks ;}

8 hours ago, idrive said:

Brooks winning doesn't validate liv. Brooks was Brooks long before going to liv.

It's been said over and over they have a handful of guys that are some of the best players in the world.  You'd expect these handful to continue to be relevant.  As far as the rest of livs field they are truly a bunch of names that are well past their prime or have no history of having any relevance or elite status,

Nothings changed.

Congrats to Brooks.

I am not a LIV fan but I do agree that there was lots of speculation that even the top guys LIV acquired would lose their game and not be relevant. In year one, that has not been the case. Maybe it will be overtime, but right now that does not look likely. 

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, idrive said:

As far as the rest of livs field they are truly a bunch of names that are well past their prime or have no history of having any relevance or elite status,

Same can be said of PGAT fields unfortunately.  There is a "bell curve of talent" in any sports league.  This isn't a knock but an observation and an example, Matt Kucher still tees it up regularly on the PGAT.

• Like 1

And I'd like to use this as a plea to just let this forum be about GOLF regardless of where it's played.  If there's a rule about not talking about the politics of other tours, perfectly fine - I think that issue has been beaten to death and everyone has moved into their corner - nobody cares any more.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/lists/liv-golf-brooks-koepka-coach-blasts-media/

On golfers getting paid ahead of time:

“I don’t think Rory McIlroy should go anywhere in the world without somebody paying him, including Memphis and Memorial. That’s how good he is. Jon Rahm, Scottie Scheffler, if you’re in that category, you shouldn’t be going anywhere without being paid because it’s how good you are.”

On "taking the money":

“If I’m critical of you guys in the media, you guys portrayed this as (Brooks) took the money and then Tiger came out with his comment, you know, Tiger, the ultimate guy who got all the money up front. I mean, I was around then. He flew to his first professional golf tournament on Nike’s private jet, and he wasn’t paying for it.

Golf is golf - you don't have to choose one tour over another:

The good thing I think all of this is showing is, it’s just golf. You can be a racecar driver for NASCAR or you can be a racecar driver for F1. You’re still a race car driver. Nobody in NASCAR, nobody in F1 is asking you to choose between the two.But at the end of the day, it’s motor racing. What do you do for a living? I’m a race car driver. Where do you drive? Oh, NASCAR. Well, it’s not Formula 1. Do you think anybody would say that? You would never do that. That’s really what this is. And these things can both be true.

Even spicier quotes in the article. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, HomaComa said:

I'm not a LIV fan because I think it's a mediocre product but Brooks 100% deserves to be on the Ryder Cup team. He'll probably make it on points and it'll be downright stupid to leave him off the the team

Mediocre how? Every week they play you get the best players playing. You can't hold liv to a standard you don't hold the tour to...most tour events are completely unwatchable so I don't really get how you could say it's inferior on average. 

• Like 1

• GwrxMod changed the title to LIV Tour Discussion Thread (*** NO POLITICS ***)