Has anyone done a real test of used vs new balls?

Z1ggy16

I know the site that shall not be named did a test about scuffed covers but I'm referring to "new" 5a ball vs new from a box. 

I feel like I've read a few things here or there, some say a used ball is fine (assuming cover in great shape) and others say that water and the elements will cause issues quickly. 

I'm finally running low on balls and it's time for a buy coming up soon. I tend to buy a few dozen all at once which usually last me the season. I've purchased used 5a balls but DTC brands are starting to intrigue me as I'm a bit more price conscious lately, and then of course there's the tried and true brand new ProV if money isn't a concern. 

Hm...no science, just experience.  I live a few miles from the largest ball recycler in the USA.  They allow walk-ins and are incredibly friendly.  I've been buying ProV1s from them since 2019 at $20/doz until this year when they jacked up the price to $25/doz. 😄  I like balls with odd numbers and logos, so this is great for me to hand-pick the ones I want.  I don't go thru that many balls, maybe 2-3 dozen per year.  In this time I've had exactly two balls that I tossed after a few holes because they felt dead and lacked distance.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jeff58 said:

-The impact water will have on how far a golf ball flies depends on two things: how many layers in the golf ball and how long it's been in water. 

A two-piece golf ball -- typically the cheapest golf balls available -- actually loses less distance in the long haul compared to a ball with three or more layers. Both types of balls lose approximately six yards of total distance after eight days in water. However, two-piece golf balls will lose about 10 yards in total after three months in water, while multi-piece golf balls will lose approximately 12 yards in three months and 15 yards in six months underwater. -

It also matters what’s in the water of course. Given that the variation between a new V1 and a new Maxfli Tour is less than the  difference between new and found V1’s, the only reason to buy used balls is if you’re environmentally conscious IMO.

What website did that come from? I've been trying to find truly unbiased sources... Most things I've read seem to come from places that are pro-used balls. 

It seems that price is really not a issue now with some pretty good quality DTC and house brands coming out. Used proV that might or might not have issues vs a Maxfli Tour X that theoretically would never have issues for the same price is now a no brainer. I only think it's an issue for those of us who are brand/ball loyal. 

https://thegolfnewsnet.com/golfnewsnetteam/2022/01/06/do-golf-balls-lose-distance-after-theyve-been-in-a-water-hazard-124818/

https://www.vicegolf.com/us/forget_lakeballs

There was an older test in Golf magazine as well. Not sure that it is retrievable. The thing about each of the available tests is that they test balls sitting in water, and the main effect is due to water permeating into the core. The real nasty is when you have a ball partially buried in mud/silt. In that case, give it up.

The problem with brand loyalty and golf balls is that the manufacturer would be nuts to produce a virtual clone of their $50 ball at the $30 price point, while that’s exactly what the DTC and Maxfli models do quite well. If you have access to a quality launch monitor, it only takes a few minutes to compare driver/7iron/PW. The results are often frighteningly similar.

• Like 1

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

3 minutes ago, Jeff58 said:

https://thegolfnewsnet.com/golfnewsnetteam/2022/01/06/do-golf-balls-lose-distance-after-theyve-been-in-a-water-hazard-124818/

https://www.vicegolf.com/us/forget_lakeballs

There was an older test in Golf magazine as well. Not sure that it is retrievable. The thing about each of the available tests is that they test balls sitting in water, and the main effect is due to water permeating into the core. The real nasty is when you have a ball partially buried in mud/silt. In that case, give it up.

The problem with brand loyalty and golf balls is that the manufacturer would be nuts to produce a virtual clone of their $50 ball at the $30 price point, while that’s exactly what the DTC and Maxfli models do quite well. If you have access to a quality launch monitor, it only takes a few minutes to compare driver/7iron/PW. The results are often frighteningly similar.

When you say frighteningly similar are you talking of the Maxfli models and Pro Vs?

The Tour vs. the V1, not the Tour X. The Tour X is a bit out there vs. the V1x group (it launches a bit high for its own good IMO).

I gave up on subjective ball comparisons a couple of years ago, and doing a “test” on a LM only takes about 10 minutes LOL. The “real” current model V1 tends to be about 2-3 yards longer on most shots, because the Maxfli launches a bit lower and spins a bit more. That’s just for me though. Everyone will interact with a particular models somewhat differently.

Edited by Jeff58
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

One of our regular Sunday 4some has been getting much better (down to a 10 from a 16 just 2 years ago)....he used to play "Mint 5A" used golf balls.  Now that he's better he's started buying new balls of same make/model, generically a club longer with the new balls.

Paradym 9.5

Rogue ST Max HL 3wd (really a 4wd)

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Apex 21 Mixed Combo Set 5-A

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

51 minutes ago, Is Golf Fun or Work said:

One of our regular Sunday 4some has been getting much better (down to a 10 from a 16 just 2 years ago)....he used to play "Mint 5A" used golf balls.  Now that he's better he's started buying new balls of same make/model, generically a club longer with the new balls.

Just to play devil's advocate, how do you know it's just not from improving? 

The 2021 ball test by the Site Which Shall Not Be Named included recycled Pro V1s.  

A quote:  We were shocked by the poor condition and lackluster performance of the refurbished golf balls we purchased for this test. 

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

17 hours ago, Z1ggy16 said:

Just to play devil's advocate, how do you know it's just not from improving? 

Because he's done direct comparison on the course, I've seen it....finally after 10 years of playing with him, he's listening to me, 'used balls are junk'

Paradym 9.5

Rogue ST Max HL 3wd (really a 4wd)

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Apex 21 Mixed Combo Set 5-A

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

Personally I would rather play balls I've found on the course than buying used balls. I know where they've come from and the savings are great. It helps that at my home course there are a few areas where you can spend 5 minutes and come out with a lot of balls. Only reason I see for buying used golf balls is for brand loyalty as someone mentioned earlier. The DTC/house brands offer roughly the same performance for new and you don't have to worry about "was this found on the ground, in the water, how long was it in there?" 

• Like 2

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

3 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

We were shocked by the poor condition and lackluster performance of the refurbished golf balls we purchased for this test. 

... When you see a course hire someone to pul out balls form their lakes, the haul is huge. Many of those balls have been on the bottom of that lake for a year or longer. They go to a refurbished manufacturer and given a nice clean looking coat. There is just no way to tell if the shiny refurbished ProV1 you are about to tee up was on the lake bottom for a week or a year. And a "new" ball you find in the woods can very well be a newly refurbished ball. As many have stated already, the cost of balls like Maxfli Tours at $26 when bought in the four box or other DTC balls that at least are still true to their original construction compared to the marginal savings from playing a refurbished ball is just a no brainer. 

• Like 4

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

55 minutes ago, chisag said:

... When you see a course hire someone to pul out balls form their lakes, the haul is huge. Many of those balls have been on the bottom of that lake for a year or longer. They go to a refurbished manufacturer and given a nice clean looking coat. There is just no way to tell if the shiny refurbished ProV1 you are about to tee up was on the lake bottom for a week or a year. And a "new" ball you find in the woods can very well be a newly refurbished ball. As many have stated already, the cost of balls like Maxfli Tours at $26 when bought in the four box or other DTC balls that at least are still true to their original construction compared to the marginal savings from playing a refurbished ball is just a no brainer. 

Recycled balls already carry the risk of you not knowing how the balls are going to perform.  Refurbished/refinished balls are even more of a crapshoot.  No telling what's under the new coat of paint.  There have been a few threads over the years of folks getting refinished balls that clearly were not the ball model that was printed on them.

• Like 1

I've been seeing tests on water balls for over 20 years.  In EVERY test there was noticeable performance loss.  Even worse is if the ball spent the winter in the water, or chemical run-off.  The bottom line is there is really no financial reason to buy water balls.  Options like Kirkland, Maxfli, Vice, Snell, Cut, and others have taken the risk out of playing a quality Tour-level ball at a moderate price.   

• Like 4

MGS had a video out on this. Basically buy new.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

• 2 weeks later...

In 2016 Plugged in Golf did a comparison and noted no differences between new and used. The only new golf balls I have purchased in the last 15 years were TM Practice balls. Have been playing E12 Contact lately. $17.99 for 1st quality vs $30 new. I've bought from Found Golf Balls, Lost Golf Balls, and Golf Ball Hero. For the E12 Contact, Golf Ball Hero has the cheapest prices and shipping. Quality is top notch, as is overall service. I have only bought used, not refinished balls.

Are Used Golf Balls As Good As New? – Golf Myths Unplugged

Edited by ahenderX

On 9/1/2022 at 3:58 PM, NoTalentLefty said:

MGS had a video out on this. Basically buy new.

Spy's study was based on refurbished balls, not used balls.

• Like 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

1 hour ago, ahenderX said:

In 2016 Plugged in Golf did a comparison and noted no differences between new and used. The only new golf balls I have purchased in the last 15 years were TM Practice balls. Have been playing E12 Contact lately. $17.99 for 1st quality vs $30 new. I've bought from Found Golf Balls, Lost Golf Balls, and Golf Ball Hero. For the E12 Contact, Golf Ball Hero has the cheapest prices and shipping. Quality is top notch, as is overall service. I have bought only bought used, not refinished balls.

Are Used Golf Balls As Good As New? – Golf Myths Unplugged

I too have bought from both Lost Golf and Found Golf balls and both are very legitimate suppliers.  If you want the absolute lowest prices of the year, buy them on Black Friday or Cyber Monday.

Edited by cgasucks
  • Like 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I think what we see at large is various sources say different things. One study shows no different others show there's some variance. Same goes for players, some see no issues and others do.

I think what matters more is perception and your own confidence in what you play is the best ball for your game. 

I've switched to new Maxfli Tour balls bc I can get 48 for $100 and that's about as good of pricing as I can get compared to the 5a mint ProV1. 

2 hours ago, Z1ggy16 said:

I think what we see at large is various sources say different things. One study shows no different others show there's some variance. Same goes for players, some see no issues and others do.

I think what matters more is perception and your own confidence in what you play is the best ball for your game. 

I've switched to new Maxfli Tour balls bc I can get 48 for $100 and that's about as good of pricing as I can get compared to the 5a mint ProV1. 

I think a lot of it comes from where a particular ball comes from.  If it was hit into the woods or a back yard, collected, and sold to the refurb company there probably isn't much difference.  If it was fished out of the bottom of a pond after 3 months, that may well be the case.

It's that exact variability that makes me stay away from them.  My game is inconsistent enough as it is without throwing in yet another variable that I have no way of discerning.

• Like 1

Sto Pro Veritate

12 minutes ago, Girevik said:

I think a lot of it comes from where a particular ball comes from.  If it was hit into the woods or a back yard, collected, and sold to the refurb company there probably isn't much difference.  If it was fished out of the bottom of a pond after 3 months, that may well be the case.

It's that exact variability that makes me stay away from them.  My game is inconsistent enough as it is without throwing in yet another variable that I have no way of discerning.

And the OEMs prob can't or won't tell you where any given lot comes from. 

That was my thought. Standing over a ball, do I want a negative thought in my head like, hmmmm is this ball going to curve in some way I don't want or not go as far as I need because it sat in a pond over the winter? 

For me it used to be economic, I bought used for money savings. But now that I can pay $5 more for 4 dozen brand new Tour quality balls... That variable is gone. Literally found out about Maxfli Tour balls the day of or right around the time of my thread. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Girevik said:

Exactly! I used to buy used from these places, but then I started thinking about there's no way to know if they come out of woods or the water. So I said I'm really not saving much buying these balls for 25 bucks dozen when I could really only pay 5 or 10 more a dozen and get a good brand new Tour Ball, (Maxfli, Snell, Vice). So it's really not worth taking the chance on water balls. Plus last ones I bought from one of these the high grade were so discolored it wasn't even funny. They did send another dozen free but those were not much better. I've just stopped buying used altogether 

14 hours ago, Longdriver295 said:

Exactly! I used to buy used from these places, but then I started thinking about there's no way to know if they come out of woods or the water. So I said I'm really not saving much buying these balls for 25 bucks dozen when I could really only pay 5 or 10 more a dozen and get a good brand new Tour Ball, (Maxfli, Snell, Vice). So it's really not worth taking the chance on water balls. Plus last ones I bought from one of these the high grade were so discolored it wasn't even funny. They did send another dozen free but those were not much better. I've just stopped buying used altogether 

Yeah, the color is a concern for another reason as well.  When the condition is graded, it's basically on how the ball looks.  It's not hard to clean up, or even touch up a ball to make it look brand new.

So all things considered, I'm sticking with my $14 / doz Kirkland.  It's hard to beat that price by much even on used balls so it's just not worth the uncertainty to me.

• Like 1

Sto Pro Veritate

6 minutes ago, Girevik said:

Yeah, the color is a concern for another reason as well.  When the condition is graded, it's basically on how the ball looks.  It's not hard to clean up, or even touch up a ball to make it look brand new.

So all things considered, I'm sticking with my $14 / doz Kirkland.  It's hard to beat that price by much even on used balls so it's just not worth the uncertainty to me.

About all I can add is "what you said."   <polite golf applause>

😁

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

• 2 weeks later...

I am sure there are some good and bad balls in a recycled mix. Are the savings worth being unsure or lack confidence in the ball? That being said I would have no problem using them in the off season but during the regular season the lack of confidence would not allow me to play them.

Ping 430 LST 9* set to 7.5*  ventus TR blue 6x

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎3+ Kai'li 70x

Ping g425 max 7 wood set to 19* w Ventus TR blue 8X

Srixon ZX utility 23* Ventus Black 9tx

Srixon ZX-7 5-AW, Project X 6.5 LZ

Cleveland RTX mid bounce 56 and 60 DG S400

Odyssey metal x milled 2-ball mid, 

Srixon Z-Star 💎

• 1 month later...

With used balls there is no guarantee what you are going to get.  Was it sitting in water for a month?  Was it baking in the desert sun?

There are postings of balls re-painted and sold as Pro Vs when they aren’t…

I’d rather buy new, and shop by price.

• Like 1

Nike Covert Tour 2.0 - Velox
Nike T60 3w & 5w - Aldila NV
Nike Covert 2.0 or CPR 3 HY
Nike NDS/Pro Combo Split Set
Nike VR 52* & 56*
Nike T130