2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Titleist T400 2023 Now in Japan

1 hour ago, Ivyguy said:

Did I just see a 20* 5 iron?

Im drunk and I’m speechless. 

Im questioning a lot right now. 

Checked the current T400 and the 5i is spec'd at 20* already. Lofts certainly have gotten crazy. The PW in the set is 38*. Which was pretty close to the 7i loft in the blade set I just retired.

The number stamped on clubs these days is basically meaningless. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SE Gamer said:

Checked the current T400 and the 5i is spec'd at 20* already. Lofts certainly have gotten crazy. The PW in the set is 38*. Which was pretty close to the 7i loft in the blade set I just retired.

The number stamped on clubs these days is basically meaningless. 

Wow! 20 degree 5 iron? I’ll hold judgement until I see more info, testing, feedback, etc. On paper, hope the targeted SGI audience/players for these can get the ball in the air with this club 😬

The loft jacking I get if accompanied by length jacking too.  But my guess is the 7i is like 25* but still at 37”.   Just doesn’t work for a mere mortal swing speed.  And if you lengthen the shaft there goes the swing weight. 

Edited by erock9174

_________________________________________________________________________________________

:taylormade: Qi10 Max 12* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5R

PING G430 SFT 5w 19* | 7w 22* Alta CB Black (set to +/Flat)

Exotics Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design Tour G

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke HL 6-AW True Temper Elevate 85R

PING Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* | Smart Sole C 4.0

PING PLD Anser 2D

5 minutes ago, erock9174 said:

The loft jacking I get if accompanied by length jacking too.  But my guess is the 7i is like 25* but still at 37”.   Just doesn’t work for a mere mortal swing speed.  And if you lengthen the shaft there goes the swing weight. 

The best way I can address this is to paraphrase Chris Voshall when faced with a similar doubt about that. 

He said, Go grab one of those 25 degree 3 irons and hit it 10 times on a LM.  Then Take a new 25 degree 5 iron and hit it 10 times.  I promise you the results won’t be even close when looking at peak height, distances, dispersion and landing angle.   The 25 degree 5 iron wins every time.  Plain and simple the tech in new heads don’t make the 25* equal at all. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

41 minutes ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

The best way I can address this is to paraphrase Chris Voshall when faced with a similar doubt about that. 

He said, Go grab one of those 25 degree 3 irons and hit it 10 times on a LM.  Then Take a new 25 degree 5 iron and hit it 10 times.  I promise you the results won’t be even close when looking at peak height, distances, dispersion and landing angle.   The 25 degree 5 iron wins every time.  Plain and simple the tech in new heads don’t make the 25* equal at all. 

I guess that depends on the definition of close. I’ve compared a late 80s Wilson Staff Fluid Feel 6i to a JPX921 8i which just happens to have the same loft and the same length (but a different shaft). When hit in the middle it was less than half a club difference. With my swing variances they were close enough that I’d consider them the same but I can see how some could argue the results were significant. But that depends on your definition of significant 😉

I'm not sure anyone can deny loft jacking is more than just number fudging when Ping kind of admitted it... not spelled it out explicitly for sure, but... their i230 and others are available in your choice of jacked ('power spec'), normal, or old school ('retro spec') loft - same heads just change the number on the bottom.

Big @ss heads with offset will increase launch angle and a springy face gives some extra distance - but that's no actual reason to call an 8 iron a PW... unless you're assuming/hoping many might just buy on which 'PW' goes furthest.

(The Ping 710 '5' iron in power spec is 21.5 degrees with a 43 degree PW).

I mean, I'd rather have a 7 wood than a 20 degree '5' iron, and indeed I am looking to change my 22 degree 4 iron to a 7 wood next year maybe 😊

140206149_Screenshot2022-12-27at12_34_58.png.45ae26753033defdfcb6de1f9f7eec93.png

Edited by coops
  • Like 1

"You must lash out with every limb, like the octopus who plays the drums." p. 134

On 11/1/2022 at 8:29 PM, Kscarguy said:

Man i’m a single digit player that wants to play with these clubs . Is that wrong to say?

As a WRX guy, YES.  you have to suppress your urges or just do it in secret.  

Wk

Titleist TSR3 Diamana White Stiff

TM Stealth2 Plus 3Wood Ventis Black Velicore S

Titleist T200U 3 and 4 iron Mitsubishi Tensei Whte 8S 

Titleist T100 5-PW AMTWhite S

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58  AMT White

Scotty Tour Rat

PROV1 Left Dash

22 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

I’m with Voshall.

I build in VERY short length increments so do not rely much on shaft length for added swing speed in order to achieve distance, peak height, landing angle.   A modern “jacked” players-distance head works great for my needs.  The last 1.5 seasons saw T200 servicing me well, and I was about to jump into JPX-923 HMP for my next build, but got enamoured with Wilson D9 Forged instead.  These 3 heads offer Player’s looks and offset, and strong lofts with higher launch parameters, and lend themselves very well for short builds IMO.

Edited by ARL67
  • Like 1

WITB for 2024  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Ping G430 Max 12*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR3 18* Fairway  |  Evenflow White 60S

Titleist TSR1 20* Hybrid |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

1 hour ago, yellowjacket82 said:

It goes back to the same problem with modern iron loft-jacking.  Most of the golfers who will buy these are those with slow swing-speed looking for more distance.  With the lower lofted irons, they will not be able to hit them high enough to stop the ball on the green.

My guess is someone who uses these clubs really has no business using any iron below 30* of loft anyways and should instead use hybrids and/or fairways to do the job for you.  If you need an aircraft carrier on a stick to get any sort of semblance of peak height, launch, and ball speed, the last thing on your mind should be a a 5 iron.  

On to the looks of these, they remind me heavily of what the original T200 was.  Very similar.

image.jpeg.738db4d79c8dec5600a8af7165885ca1.jpeg

Callaway Paradym 9 -- Accra TZFive 60

Callaway Paradym 15 & Paradym TD 18  -- Accra TZFive 70

Cobra King Tec 22 & 25 -- MMT 80

Ping i525 6-PW, UW -- Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54 & 58 -- DG Spinner 

Bettinardi Hive Custom -- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

I realize I’m in the minority here but even as someone with plenty of swing speed and ball striking ability, there are plenty of days where I see the appeal of gaming irons like this.

The lofts are obviously hilarious but I don’t mind that as much since it’s just a number on a club, and I prefer my irons a bit shorter anyways

• Like 3

On 12/26/2022 at 6:25 PM, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

I get where you are coming from.  A 3i 25* blade at 38" is going nowhere near as high as a GI/SGI 5i 25* at 38" just by design, but that is not what I am saying at all.

I view this model as designed for the slower swinger to help get the ball in the air.  By design they are meant to fly higher, but for someone who hits a 7i 140 yds or less they don't need a 25* 7i at 37". 

You mentioned Vosh, even Mizuno when launching the 923 Hot Metal line came out with the HLversion which is weaker lofted because they found a fitting gap when it came to the person who lacks speed, launch and spin. 

In my opionion, Titliest should have went that route with the T400 vs jacking them up which loses likely 3/4ths of that slower swing market.  Unless you hit a high spinny cut, not sure how the T400 works for someone with 100 mph or less ball speed in a 7i. 

I had a chance to hit the prior gen T400 with the high launching AMC880 shaft the other day (using a V1x) and with a 7i my descent was 37-38* at best with under 4k spin.  That is not stopping on a green.  Carry was around 145 so 5 yds longer than my norm.  My gamer (retro lofted G425 7i) is 140 carry, with 5600 spin and a 46-47* descent angle.     

• Like 2

_________________________________________________________________________________________

PING PLD Anser 2D

Read a post on another forum that these may not be released in the US.  Can anyone in the know confirm that?

• Like 1

PING PLD Anser 2D

51 minutes ago, erock9174 said:

I get where you are coming from.  A 3i 25* blade at 38" is going nowhere near as high as a GI/SGI 5i 25* at 38" just by design, but that is not what I am saying at all.

I view this model as designed for the slower swinger to help get the ball in the air.  By design they are meant to fly higher, but for someone who hits a 7i 140 yds or less they don't need a 25* 7i at 37". 

You mentioned Vosh, even Mizuno when launching the 923 Hot Metal line came out with the HLversion which is weaker lofted because they found a fitting gap when it came to the person who lacks speed, launch and spin. 

In my opionion, Titliest should have went that route with the T400 vs jacking them up which loses likely 3/4ths of that slower swing market.  Unless you hit a high spinny cut, not sure how the T400 works for someone with 100 mph or less ball speed in a 7i. 

I had a chance to hit the prior gen T400 with the high launching AMC880 shaft the other day (using a V1x) and with a 7i my descent was 37-38* at best with under 4k spin.  That is not stopping on a green.  Carry was around 145 so 5 yds longer than my norm.  My gamer (retro lofted G425 7i) is 140 carry, with 5600 spin and a 46-47* descent angle.     

Good thoughts, and you know what, I should have mentioned that comment from Voshal was about 3 years ago, whe "loft jacking" was getting raked over he coals etc.  And I think you bring up a good point, if asked about it, I'm sure he would say the Hot Metal HL is a direct result of that player and they have been working on that design for a couple years at least to accomplish it.  

As to the previous T400, I tried a demo 6 iron as well and found similar results as you. 

Vokey

On 1/4/2023 at 9:08 AM, ron5668 said:

Would you mind asking that rep if and when a new T300 might be released?

The main iron release is always late summer/early fall.   Dont' expect to see anything prior to the US Open or the Travelers, they usual Tour seeding time, the Titlesist Staff membes will start their fitings in August for a September/Octobe launch.    This is all based on past years timeline, not any info I know for 2023

• Thanks 1

Vokey