2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Tsi3 and Tsr3

deh

3 hours ago, hagimihale said:

TSR2 should be better for most people.  It is set up to give more consistent #s across the face(toe to heel, and top to bottom).  

That being said, if you consistently hit the same spot all the time, with TSR3 you could move the weight behind that impact position, which shifts the "hot zone" in that direction and may make the 3 better for you. 

I'd try both just to see.

For the most part I hit it center of the face in terms of Side to side, but tend to strike it lower on the face where I get penalized with higher spin.  

Everyone raves how good the 3 is on low strikes.  Problem for me is im a lefty and want to try a 10 degree tsr3 but nobody has it, including the local Titleist fitter here

I moved from a TSi2 10 to a TSr3 9. my issue is I created too much spin with the 10, the 3 helped with that significantly. I still get the right amount hight I need without the ballooning which results in a bit more rollout for me. I tend to strike toeside 85% of the time so moveable weight is what really helps. 

21 hours ago, goudok said:

For the most part I hit it center of the face in terms of Side to side, but tend to strike it lower on the face where I get penalized with higher spin.  

Everyone raves how good the 3 is on low strikes.  Problem for me is im a lefty and want to try a 10 degree tsr3 but nobody has it, including the local Titleist fitter here

My consistent miss is slightly low/heel.  Quite a few of those I expect to leak far right, but the ball winds up between right edge of fairway and just into first cut of rough.  Current gamer combo is the most consistent I've ever been off the tee.

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

I went through a fitting and was switched from TSi3 10 degree with Ventus Blue 6s to a TSR3 9 degree with Tensei 1K Black 65s. On the range with Trackman, this was giving better height, ball speed, and carry distance with similar dispersion and felt really good. 

But now that I've got the club in hand and I'm playing it on the course, I am struggling with a wicked fade. Feels like I just can't get through the ball unless I really put 100% into the swing. I'm debating either going back to my old shaft or just going back to the TSi3 entirely. 

Edited by ND2005

With the caveat that I haven't given it a proper test with my gamer shaft, I prefer the feel of the TSi3. Numbers seemed pretty similar. 

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15* Devotion HB 75-X
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

1 hour ago, ND2005 said:

I went through a fitting and was switched from TSi3 10 degree with Ventus Blue 6s to a TSR3 9 degree with Tensei 1K Black 65s. On the range with Trackman, this was giving better height, ball speed, and carry distance with similar dispersion and felt really good. 

But now that I've got the club in hand and I'm playing it on the course, I am struggling with a wicked fade. Feels like I just can't get through the ball unless I really put 100% into the swing. I'm debating either going back to my old shaft or just going back to the TSi3 entirely. 

If you have the Ventus still would definitely try that first, as to me Ventus blue and Tensei black don't play alike at all. If have the chance could always take both clubs out to the range (or course) and hit both so that can compare them in real time.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Albatross Dreamer said:

If you have the Ventus still would definitely try that first, as to me Ventus blue and Tensei black don't play alike at all. If have the chance could always take both clubs out to the range (or course) and hit both so that can compare them in real time.

Yeah I tried to stick with the new driver for at least a little while to give it a chance. But have hit both on the range and just feel a lot more comfortable with the TSi/Ventus. Definitely different shaft profiles but at least when I did the fitting the Tensei was giving better numbers.

I think next move will be to put the Ventus in the new head for a bit, but if that doesn't work will just go back to the old reliable...The TSi3 was probably my favorite driver I've had in the past 10 years so maybe this is my own fault for messing with success. 

Edited by ND2005

2 hours ago, ND2005 said:

Yeah I tried to stick with the new driver for at least a little while to give it a chance. But have hit both on the range and just feel a lot more comfortable with the TSi/Ventus. Definitely different shaft profiles but at least when I did the fitting the Tensei was giving better numbers.

I think next move will be to put the Ventus in the new head for a bit, but if that doesn't work will just go back to the old reliable...The TSi3 was probably my favorite driver I've had in the past 10 years so maybe this is my own fault for messing with success. 

Driver in a fitting and on a course are also different, comfort when the shot "matters" takes time! And at least you know you have a good choice to fall back on!

• Like 1

Hit the tsi3 at the end of last season.. 

loved it..

just traded my ltdx ls VB6x for a tsi3 with tensei white 1k 70tx combo… 

hope I don’t regret it …. 

Callaway triple Diamond paradym 9*- hulk 60tx 

Callaway paradym triple diamond - hulk 70tx 

Titleist TSi3 20* hybrid Matrix Black Tie 90x 
Srixon zx7mkii 456 / ZForgedii 789P- MMT 125tx 
Cleveland RTX6 50/54/ S400 TI Onyx 
Vokey Wedgeworks 60* V-grind 
Tri-hot double wide 

On 1/12/2023 at 9:22 AM, ND2005 said:

I agree with @Albatross Dreamer.   Put your Ventus Blue 6S in the TSR.  1K Black is more stout than VB 6S.  In trackman "beast" mode, I can see how the 1K would give you better #s.  But real golf, out on the course, doesn't work that way.  

35 minutes ago, hagimihale said:

I agree with @Albatross Dreamer.   Put your Ventus Blue 6S in the TSR.  1K Black is more stout than VB 6S.  In trackman "beast" mode, I can see how the 1K would give you better #s.  But real golf, out on the course, doesn't work that way.  

I think that’s my problem. If I compare both with my best possible Aka “beast mode” swing the 1K wins. But for my day to day 80-90-% swing the Ventus is much more reliable 

30 minutes ago, ND2005 said:

I think that’s my problem. If I compare both with my best possible Aka “beast mode” swing the 1K wins. But for my day to day 80-90-% swing the Ventus is much more reliable 

That's usually the case on indoor Trackman sessions.  We get enough swings to dial things in, and then start to go all-out.  But real golf isn't played that way. Trust the VB.  

10 hours ago, hagimihale said:

That's usually the case on indoor Trackman sessions.  We get enough swings to dial things in, and then start to go all-out.  But real golf isn't played that way. Trust the VB.  

It was an outdoor fitting, with a pro I've worked with before and had good results. For what its worth. I need to follow-up with him, he may have some suggestions. 

• Like 1

TSR3 didn’t show any significant improvements for me over my TSi3. To be fair, truly feel TSi3 is in top 3 drivers I have ever played, if not best. Really liked the TSR2 for the few rounds that I had one, greatly impressed with improved shaping. I thought could use the reported forgiveness for the occasional miss, yet even with some adjustments via surefit, found turned it over a bit more than found suitable. Went back to my TSi3 and very happy again.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

• 2 months later...

Hit the fairways and drivers side by side last night 

tsi3 with tensei white 1k 70tx vs tsr3 with ventus black TR 6x, same settings, 

tsr3 sounds more muted, feel is alittle more solid , sounds a touch more muted. I loved the feel of the TsR3 combo 

numbers pretty much the same, launches the tsr3 a degree lower , spin was the same 

the fairways, I loved the sound and feel of the tsr3. Might pick one of those up here real soon. 

Tri-hot double wide 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/8/2023 at 9:04 AM, Kale_m said:

Hit the fairways and drivers side by side last night 

tsi3 with tensei white 1k 70tx vs tsr3 with ventus black TR 6x, same settings, 

tsr3 sounds more muted, feel is alittle more solid , sounds a touch more muted. I loved the feel of the TsR3 combo 

numbers pretty much the same, launches the tsr3 a degree lower , spin was the same 

the fairways, I loved the sound and feel of the tsr3. Might pick one of those up here real soon. 

did you hit the 16.5 TSr3?

Qi10 9 Ventus Blk 6x

Sim Max 18 Ventus Blk 8x

P760 3/4 PX7.0

P730 5-P PX7.0 1*weak

T22 49S-53S-57S T24 61V

Oworks 7s

5 hours ago, cav5 said:

did you hit the 16.5 TSr3?

Yes. 

sounds and feels more solid then the tsi3 for sure 

• Like 1

Tri-hot double wide 

Im selling mine. I just cant hit it right. And for reassurance i have other drivers i took out the next round and did my usualy good round of driving. I just find the tsr3 too low launch and low spin. And i cant get the ball at or above the equator on strike even when i tee up wayyy higher. Its wierd. Its wayy less forgiving then i thought distance and directionally. Just my expiernce though. Besides that it felt really nice sounded ok and is about the best looking driver ive seen.

Surprised how many people liked the Tsi as much if not better than TSR. I have not been a fan of the Tsi sound, feel, or forgiveness and found the TSR to be a huge improvement in all those categories when I played with them. Has me wondering if I bought a bad head because I’m still hitting my old 910D3 over the TSi right now. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I was fit into a TSR3 for about 600 bucks. But then I bumped into an as-new TSI3 for 290. Same shaft and specs.

The latter sounds much more appealing if the differences are really that small.

But the guy in below video saw 10 yds more carry with the TSR, same shaft and specs. How can that be? 

I am bit hesitant now since I won't have a chance to test them head-to-head before the offer on the TSI3 expires.

Driver: Callaway Paradym X w/ HZRDUS Silver 50 5.5
5W: Callaway Mavrik Max w/ Riptide 60 5.5
5i: Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal w/ Recoil ESX 460 F3 

6i-GW: Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal Pro w/ Recoil ESX 460 F3
52*: Mizuno S23 S-Grind w/ Nippon Pro Modus 3 105 
58*: Mizuno S23 D-Grind w/ Nippon Pro Modus 3 105 
Putter: Yes! Hannah

@SteelyDan, TSR3 has a very hot face on center strikes.  So if you have a very consistent swing, I can see how it would be longer.

I had TSi3 and upgraded to TSR3 because I had a lot of Dicks credit.  On my best swings, TSR3 is longer.  I've hit some bombs that reached trouble that I thought were well out of my range.  Overall I'm very happy with TSR3. But I wasn't unhappy with TSi3 and could easily go back to it.

I don't think you're going to see such a significant difference to justify double the cost to get TSR3. So unless you just want the latest model (and all else being equal), I'd probably get TSi3 if I were in your shoes...

• Like 1

After extensive testing a couple of months ago, I narrowed my driver choice down to the TSI3, TSR3, and 430 Max. For me, the three models we were almost identical in overall performance with similar specs/shafts. So my choice came down to price. I was able to get a brand new TSI3 with GD IZ for $300 less then a 430 or TSR3. Thus far, I’m very happy with the TSI3 GD IZ combo

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Last winter I went to pga superstore in east Hanover and hit the tsr3 8 vs my tsi3 8.5

Negligible distance and dispersion difference, I am pretty consistent with the tsi3 and I like the more animated sound. the more I am reading about being able to work the ball better with tsi3 In this thread. Mind you, I have been a club fitter at both retail and pro shops for over three years and a 14.2 index as well as a golf caddie. Seen hundreds of people on a trackman.

Titleist has said it themselves that the feedback they got from the tour when making TSR3 was “just don’t F it up.” Meaning we like the TSi3 so don’t change it much. Really all you will see between the 2 are some differences in shaping, and sound/feel are a little more crisp with TSR3. TSR2 and TSR4 were the ones that saw the major upgrades this cycle with the new face tech. There are actually still more TSi3 drivers in play on tour than TSR3.

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9* Ventus TR Red 6X

BRNR Mini 13.5* Diamana ZF 70X

Paradym 💎💎💎T 18* Ventus Red 8X

2023 T100 4-PW C-taper 125S+

SM10 Jet Black 52F, 56S, 60M DG Tour Issue S400

Odyssey Versa #7

Pro V1X