2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

41 degree pitching wedge.. "Longest irons ever". Grandma just smoked a 9 iron 200 yards. (***MERGED***)

markymark_Rx

3 hours ago, iknowbagu said:

The buying extra clubs thing is a total non-issue. If everything was still traditional lofted would you buy 1-P? Probably not. Almost every manufacturer allows you to start the set wherever you like, so get 5-G and fill in the rest of the bag accordingly. I know it's winter and we're all bored out of our minds, but come on people, let's use our heads here. 

I agree, I don't see the issue either.

Modern players 4-P, players distance 5-GW and i230 6-GW2 all cover the same lofts with the same amount of clubs. Those sets can be bought that way without issue. Why would someone feel the need to buy more filler clubs? Especially when "there's 2 GW's now!!!" is one of the main complaints of this thread, that's kind of contradictory in my book.

• Like 3

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°

TaylorMade Stealth 3HL 16.5°

Cobra LTDx 7W 21.5°

Callaway Rogue CF18 5H 24°

Callaway Rogue CF18 6i-PW

Cleveland CBX2 49° + 54°, CBX Full Face 58°

TaylorMade Spider Tour Black #3

Vice Pro

Arccos

7 hours ago, Nessism said:

Buying a set with two gap wedges IS and issue for ME.  I refuse.  You are free to buy whatever you want, of course, but I'm simply saying that I won't.  It's stupid, and I don't like being jerked around, and forced to learn new distances.

You'll have to learn new distances anyway if you get new clubs. With materials getting betters, distances are going to change, with you getting older etc.

• Like 4

TSR2 9° with Tensei AV Xlink Blue 65 TSR
TSR2 15° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 6.0
TSI2 18° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 6.0 

T200 Utility 4 Project X HZRDUS Black 4G  

T150 5 - PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105

Vokey SM9 48 F Grind, 54 S Grind, 60 M Grind

Scott Cameron Phantom X 11.5
Tour Midsize Bag

Pro V1

44 minutes ago, nbar said:

Just everybody wait til your my age (80) then talk to me about not wanting more distance. Your times coming so be ready. Still love the game and lost my ego and move forward on the tees makes it much more enjoyable.

For sure.  I'm curious though, does a slower swing have enough speed to hit the lower numbered irons?  With enough gaps between clubs?

Ping G410 Plus Driver, TaylorMade Aeroburner 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 
Callaway 2015 XR 4, 5 hybrids

Titleist 2021 T300 6-P, 48W, 53W irons

Ping Zing Lob wedge
Axis1 Rose putter

8 hours ago, TheOverratedPhotog said:

You'll have to learn new distances anyway if you get new clubs. With materials getting betters, distances are going to change, with you getting older etc.

What is that tech and material doing again? It’s about loft. It has always been about loft. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

What is that tech and material doing again? It’s about loft. It has always been about loft. 

I have no doubt that with the same length of shaft, and same loft, a modern GI/SGI club will launch higher than an older blade or even a modern one

I do think though that the MFR claims that they need to be this much stronger due to higher lofts probably jumped the shark like 5 degrees ago

Maybe i'll test it one day, but i would bet a lot of money that i wouldn't launch a 27 degree 7 iron at 17-18 degrees, which is my launch with a blade 7 iron at 33-34 degrees

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

1 hour ago, dekez said:

For sure.  I'm curious though, does a slower swing have enough speed to hit the lower numbered irons?  With enough gaps between clubs?

I'm 52 with a bad back and I embraced the lofts.  Once I adjusted, I perfectly fine with not going back.

The fitting is still the key; choosing the right shafts and frankly putting ego aside.  I went from stiff to regular flex, a few grams lighter and a different bend profile.  It made all the difference.  I have zero trouble getting a ball airborne.

• Like 1

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

High launch, yuge distance. I don't see the issue with it, personally. If you're playing these it either helps you maintain some distances you were used to, or it doesn't really matter what you're playing, cause you're not consistent regardless. If it makes the game more fun for you, more power to you. If you run into people bragging about iron distances, chances are they're not scoring well anyway...

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

I have no doubt that with the same length of shaft, and same loft, a modern GI/SGI club will launch higher than an older blade or even a modern one

I do think though that the MFR claims that they need to be this much stronger due to higher lofts probably jumped the shark like 5 degrees ago

Maybe i'll test it one day, but i would bet a lot of money that i wouldn't launch a 27 degree 7 iron at 17-18 degrees, which is my launch with a blade 7 iron at 33-34 degrees

I think he was talking speed/distance not launch. And compare todays GI clubs to that of 23 years ago, loft for loft. The claim was “materials” or whatever that means. Virtually no difference. 

5 hours ago, nbar said:

Just everybody wait til your my age (80) then talk to me about not wanting more distance. Your times coming so be ready. Still love the game and lost my ego and move forward on the tees makes it much more enjoyable.

The distance gain is being realized by labeling a former 9 iron as a wedge (just an example).  Same loft, same distance, same club, different number on the bottom of the club.

• Like 3

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

On 1/16/2023 at 8:55 AM, iknowbagu said:

The buying extra clubs thing is a total non-issue. If everything was still traditional lofted would you buy 1-P? Probably not. Almost every manufacturer allows you to start the set wherever you like, so get 5-G and fill in the rest of the bag accordingly. I know it's winter and we're all bored out of our minds, but come on people, let's use our heads here. 

The loft bitchers don't care what season it is lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bekgolf said:

The distance gain is being realized by labeling a former 9 iron as a wedge (just an example).  Same loft, same distance, same club, different number on the bottom of the club.

That, and who cares if you lose distance when you age. We all know its going to happen. I dont wanna be lied to lol

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

I'm not buying what he's selling 😂

My iron game is noticeably better with modern game improvement irons than it is with small forged blades. 

I could never hit a green from over 160y with forged blades, now I often hit greens from 170y, 180y and even 190-200y with pxg 0311XPs. I didn't take lessons nor did the swing change. 

8 minutes ago, Feelingofgreatness said:

My iron game is noticeably better with modern game improvement irons than it is with small forged blades. 

I could never hit a green from over 160y with forged blades, now I often hit greens from 170y, 180y and even 190-200y with pxg 0311XPs. I didn't take lessons nor did the swing change. 

Placebo is a real thing

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

I somewhat agree with him.  I have always used forged blades and players irons.  Six months ago I moved to GI and graphite.  Due to nearly a club stronger loft, I expected a lower trajectory and more distance.  I was surprised that a 7 iron still flew like a 7 iron and the distances were not much longer.  I figure the lower GOG gave me a higher effective launch angle than my old clubs.  In reality, the only adjustment I really made was chipping with an 8 iron instead of a 7.  I do notice that misses toward the toe do not lose as much distance and stay on line better. 

Now, if you compare heads of similar design with a similar COG with different lofts, I would expect different distances and launch angle. 

1 hour ago, Feelingofgreatness said:

How much “noticeable “??

55 minutes ago, Klubster said:

I somewhat agree with him.  I have always used forged blades and players irons.  Six months ago I moved to GI and graphite.  Due to nearly a club stronger loft, I expected a lower trajectory and more distance.  I was surprised that a 7 iron still flew like a 7 iron and the distances were not much longer.  I figure the lower GOG gave me a higher effective launch angle than my old clubs.  In reality, the only adjustment I really made was chipping with an 8 iron instead of a 7.  I do notice that misses toward the toe do not lose as much distance and stay on line better. 

Now, if you compare heads of similar design with a similar COG with different lofts, I would expect different distances and launch angle. 

I had some conversations with then Callaway main office staffers (a lot of the original zoo crew) and the reasoning behind having to lower lofts was in the newer designs with more weight lower and back if the lofts remained the same it would be sky ball city for normal SS players. By normal I mean not wrx normal of 120 mph driver swing but the 90-105 mph that most mortals and older folks have and the target market for those type designs.

It made sense then and still does in my mind, being in the later SS range and old I would love the play blades and have but it is not as much fun compared to what I now play which not seriously jacked at a 42* 9 iron but still some help there.

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX CB  5-11 Steelfiber i95 r

Callaway full toe 54* PX IO  6.5

Callaway full toe 58* PX IO 6.5

SLED # 1  35.5

9 hours ago, dekez said:

Solid point here... slower speed players need to go to hybrids at much higher lofts. They also probably need bigger loft gaps in their set to get adequate distance gaps. If the PW keep getting stronger we're looking at a "set" of irons that shouldn't be more than 3 clubs, 4 clubs max. 

Cleveland (was it Adams?) tried the iron/hybrid set, I'm sure others did too, didn't seem to get much traction. 

Edited by mtg

TSR3 10* | Hzrdus Black Gen4 60TX 

Titleist TS3 3w | Diamana DF 70TX

Ping i525 3 iron | DG 120 X100 

Callaway Apex MB '18 5-Pw; X Forged '18 4i | DG X100 

Vokey SM8 52F, SM9 56F, SM7 60L | DG S400

Evnroll ER2v Long Plumbers Neck

1 hour ago, boggyman said:

How much “noticeable “??

Handicap Index is down from a 14 to an 8 in a few years.

Coming from Miura irons to a few sets of PXGs, currently the 0311 XPs.

My home course has 27 holes and 4 par 3s over 175 yards. I almost never hit them before and now I'm usually on the green or very close. It is so much easier using a 37", 27 degree 7 iron from 170, than a 37.75", 27 degree 5 iron with a very small head. Maybe it's placebo, I can't scientifically prove it but the PXGs seem WAY EASIER to hit for me and my GIRs have gone from about 4 to 8.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Feelingofgreatness said:

I would agree. This is like arguing a formula one car drives faster around a track when the average person couldn't handle driving one. The average distance on clubs for an amateur would have increased over time. The top distance may not, because the sweet spot is getting bigger, but not that much more amazing

Edited by TheOverratedPhotog

Tour Midsize Bag

Pro V1

One of the things people here who are against delofting convenient forget about is something called covering the ball. The average professional  delofts their clubs by about 13-30% by covering the ball. The average amateur doesn't cover the ball much, if at all. Low handicaps and scratch golfers might, but the average 10+ handicap wouldn't. 

So ultimately, these delofted clubs do exactly what the professionals are doing, but make it available to amateurs. And to them, that's a bad thing for some obscure reason. I have a set of T300's which are delofted. I hit them longer, straighter and higher than my previous clubs, and I'm getting older so distance will progressively become an issue. I can also stop everything up to a 5 iron within a meter. So what's the problem?

Edited by TheOverratedPhotog
  • Confused 1

Tour Midsize Bag

Pro V1

Just now, Jim53 said:

All these threads have a common theme, those with speed crap on the delofted clubs and those of us that need the help seem to like them for the most part in some form or another, and no some of us do not want to play a bag of hybrids.

If you have the speed or the ball striking ability play to play blades or something less forgiving more power to you but why be bothered by what those less fortunate speed wise play.

After all getting the ball in the hole is all that matters and as the old saying goes "the scorecard has no eyes"

Its fools gold

• Like 1

Just when I'd gotten used to and accepted the 44° Pitching wedge. 

• Haha 1

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter