2023 Maxfli Tour, Tour X and Tour S

VladDrag

(Sorry if this was posted before. I did a search but couldn’t find much on it)

Stopped at my local Golf Galaxy and noticed a few things about the 2023 Maxfli tour balls. 

1. new packaging 

2. New price point ($40/box)

3. New ball - the Tour S. 

The tour S looks like a ball similar to the AVX (https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/maxfli-2023-tour-s-golf-balls-22maxu2023mxfltrsgbl/22maxu2023mxfltrsgbl)

Curious if anyone has any info on these. Are the new balls, or is it just new packaging. 

19 hours ago, chisag said:

... New ball. I have been using them for the last few weeks and they are more durable, keep their sheen longer and don't have those two line alignment aids for the CG. Looks so much better. Performance is at least equal but they may be a hair better in the wind and a hair longer off the driver. 2 dozen for $70 so $35 each when you buy two. 

/cdn-cgi/mirage/66f09d00f2f6307ee015027209b210ed523bebdaddf60ff7f4042c6f1fb5fcbf/1280/cdn-cgi/mirage/66f09d00f2f6307ee015027209b210ed523bebdaddf60ff7f4042c6f1fb5fcbf/1280/https://wrxcdn.golfwrx.com/uploads/monthly_2023_01/935683649_aMaxfli23.JPG.3dd129704a64fde44de671581f683c7c.JPG

Personally I like the added alignment lines but the font looks better. I will give it a shot.

I felt the tour cg was just a fraction shorter off the driver for me. But I have a decent swing speed and felt I may have been over compressing it. 

Edited by VladDrag
typo
  • Like 2

A welcome surprise. Tour X (prior gen) was an incredible ball for the price. Still have my course record with Tour X. But I can't justify trading in my "buck a ball" deal for better brands with these. I'm glad they're releasing a "soft" version, too. Lot of people out there really do enjoy playing with the marshmallow feeling balls. 

5 hours ago, chisag said:

... New ball. I have been using them for the last few weeks and they are more durable, keep their sheen longer and don't have those two line alignment aids for the CG. Looks so much better. Performance is at least equal but they may be a hair better in the wind and a hair longer off the driver. 2 dozen for $70 so $35 each when you buy two. 

935683649_aMaxfli23.JPG.3dd129704a64fde44de671581f683c7c.JPG

Much better side stamp.

• Like 2

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

1 hour ago, wantacigar said:

I really like the Maxfli Tour cg.  I bought 4 doz. box when they were $105 and had the $20 off coupon.  I had bought the 2 for $60 first to try them out.  I still have 4 doz.  HOWEVER, For $35-$40/doz. opens up the door to a multitude of balls to choose from.  The TM Tour Response for instance.  I really like that ball.  If your SS is in excess of 105-110 this ball is not for you but 90-100 it works great, feels great.  That being said, I have the last of my 4 kids in grad school.  Other 3 have their masters already.  I'm just a blue collar guy and I am looking for the most economical ball I can find that fit into the specs I like.  I'm even considering going back to a 2 pc. ball (Cut Red are a phenomenal ball for $12.99/doz.).  

I'm right on that border with 105 mph driver swing speed ( I know, revoke my WRX card) and I agree that $35 dozen brings other premium balls into play. I may grab them if I have a coupon or the price drops, but knowing they are made in the same factory as VICE tells you all you need to know and you have to play the price game as the quality has to be pretty similar and we know based on testing, the results compared to the VICE are almost exact. 

• Like 1

I wonder if the TourS will be available in yellow. And, is it really like the AVX with a different flight than the other two or is it just softer?

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

2 hours ago, cardia10 said:

I'm right on that border with 105 mph driver swing speed ( I know, revoke my WRX card) and I agree that $35 dozen brings other premium balls into play. I may grab them if I have a coupon or the price drops, but knowing they are made in the same factory as VICE tells you all you need to know and you have to play the price game as the quality has to be pretty similar and we know based on testing, the results compared to the VICE are almost exact. 

Not sure what prices everybody is talking about, you cannot get a tour ball for $35/per dozen.  Srixon just released the new Z Star series and it's $47.99 per dozen.  How much do you think Titleist, Callaway, Bridgestone, TM are going to be?  I can tell you....more than that!!  So, yes the TM $40 Tour Response or Q Star Tour can be had for around the same price point, but they are very soft compression balls.  Not the same, as the Maxfli Tour which is at least 85.  I guess if one wants to play those softer balls and the Maxfli Tour S is about the same price, then one would have to test if they desire to see which they prefer.

• Like 3

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4 iron| N.S. Pro 980GH DST S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-GW| N.S. Pro 1050GH S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* & 58*| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 115 Wedge
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

46 minutes ago, pjc said:

Not sure what prices everybody is talking about, you cannot get a tour ball for $35/per dozen.  Srixon just released the new Z Star series and it's $47.99 per dozen.  How much do you think Titleist, Callaway, Bridgestone, TM are going to be?  I can tell you....more than that!!  So, yes the TM $40 Tour Response or Q Star Tour can be had for around the same price point, but they are very soft compression balls.  Not the same, as the Maxfli Tour which is at least 85.  I guess if one wants to play those softer balls and the Maxfli Tour S is about the same price, then one would have to test if they desire to see which they prefer.

I was specifically talking about Vice balls as mentioned a few times. Z starts and many others are always discounted to $40 per dozen and I've always found Bridgestone deals. Maxfli is a house brand ball made at the same factories as many other DTC balls so why pay for the most expensive DTC ball when others are exactly the same.

• Like 1

Vice will have a price increase, don't worry!

And yes, you can still get prior generation golf balls from the major OEM's, but I thought we are talking current generations.  All will go up in price no matter which you are talking about.

Edited by pjc

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4 iron| N.S. Pro 980GH DST S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-GW| N.S. Pro 1050GH S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* & 58*| N.S. Pro Modus³ Tour 115 Wedge
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star

1 hour ago, pjc said:

Vice will have a price increase, don't worry!

And yes, you can still get prior generation golf balls from the major OEM's, but I thought we are talking current generations.  All will go up in price no matter which you are talking about.

Well, until they do.....They are $6.00-$7.00 cheaper a dozen for virtually the same ball.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tanner25 said:

But, you can walk right in at pick it up at your local DSG/GG. Plus, you get points for discounts. Vice is at Target. But, stock is very limited. It's great if you like a Vice gold ball, lol. 

True....I'll likely continue to play the Maxfli Tour as needed.  When I need to resupply bulk is when I'll need to consider my options.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tanner25 said:

But, you can walk right in at pick it up at your local DSG/GG. Plus, you get points for discounts. Vice is at Target. But, stock is very limited. It's great if you like a Vice gold ball, lol. 

This true if you happen to live near a DSG/GG.  They don't have nearly as many stores as Target and Walmart where you can find Vice balls.  DSG/GG shipping is typically going to be faster than shipping from the Vice web site though.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 8:16 AM, cardia10 said:

I would think that price will be adjusted when sales go down. I’ve never tried the Maxfli ball as Vice has been a ball I’ve played for several years off and on. If you catch the 5 + 1 deal from Vice it’s hard to beat.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

I’ve played Maxfli Tour balls exclusively ever since they introduced the 2021 version. Prior to switching I played the ProV1 for several years. In my opinion (and verified by a reputable published ball test) I’ve found the Maxfli Tour to equal the ProV1’s performance in many areas. I play often enough that I estimate to save about $400/yr on balls. I just picked up 2 Dzn of the 2023 Maxfli Tour for $70 (used to be 2 Dzn for $60). I’ve only played 1 round with 2023 ball, but first impressions are good. I definitely need to play a few more rounds with the new ball before saying too much. Maxfli is advertising faster ball speeds with changes to the core & mantel. 2021 ball compression was 85. 2023 ball compression is 90. 

• Like 1

Ive been playing a mixture of the 23' and 21' maxfli tours the past couple rounds.  I am not really consistent enough to be able to tell a difference yet.  Hit some great and some terrible shots with both haha!  Love the more simple text on the new model but otherwise looking forward to some in depth performance comparisons. 

Edited by ReidE5

On 1/29/2023 at 6:43 PM, awtryau89 said:

Down to my last 2 sleeves of 2021 Tours. Trying to decide if I want to use some credit on the 2023 version or put it against 2023 Titleist. I just wish they would bring the 4 dozen pack in the new version at say $119. Definitely be in for that. 

I bought a dozen of the Tour Soft and Tour X and when I added them to my cart and went to check out shows a “Limited Time” sale of 1 for 39.99, 2 for $70, or 4 for $119.99. Don’t they always show “Limited Time” sale though? 

E926DB34-8C2C-444B-9E25-4A9A75AF95A3.jpeg

• Like 2

They say Limited Time, to create urgency and so they can change the price whenever.

Edited by deepred
  • Like 1

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

23 minutes ago, deepred said:

They say Limited Time, to create urgency and so they can change the price whenever.

... Every sale is "for a limited time" or it wouldn't be a sale. :classic_rolleyes:  Dicks/GG does take the Maxfli sale away but usually not for long and another "for a limited time" shows up. 

• Like 3

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

On 2/6/2023 at 1:04 PM, chisag said:

... Every sale is "for a limited time" or it wouldn't be a sale. :classic_rolleyes:  Dicks/GG does take the Maxfli sale away but usually not for long and another "for a limited time" shows up. 

They are the Rock Bottom Golf of retail stores the way their pricing moves around for sure!