Any i210 users still out there?

SwooshLT

I've not been able to get a lot of time with the i230s I ordered, because I ordered them with the wrong lie angle the first time, had them sent back to Ping to adjust, then only put 9 holes on them after because they were ballooning like crazy on me (not sure what was up with the Steelfiber 95 S). I was able to sell those on here and purchase another set of them with the same shaft I have in my T100-S irons (PX IO 6.0) and if those don't work, I'm sticking with the T100-S.

Honestly regretting selling my i210 set I had with the Steelfibers in them. Shot a personal best with them last year and though they were lacking in distance that I needed, they obviously worked. That's just my experience so far. Plenty of other players having success with the i230, but I don't think there's anything wrong with the i210 at all.

Edited by over7par
Grammar
  • Like 3

Titleist TSR3 9° / Fujikura Ventus Blue w/ Velocore + 6S, 45.25"

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5° 3W / Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6S, 43"

TaylorMade Qi10 18° 5W & 21° 7W/ Mitsubishi Kai'li Blue 72g S

Ping Blueprint-S 5-PW / Project X IO 6.0 110g / Power Spec

Vokey SM10 Nickel 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 58.10 S / Project X IO 6.0 110g

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5 2024 / 34.5"

Titleist ProV1 / Golf Pride MCC+4 Blue/Gray/Red/Orange

1 hour ago, over7par said:

I've not been able to get a lot of time with the i230s I ordered, because I ordered them with the wrong lie angle the first time, had them sent back to Ping to adjust, then only put 9 holes on them after because they were ballooning like crazy on me (not sure what was up with the Steelfiber 95 S). I was able to sell those on here and have set another set of them with the same shaft I have in my T100-S irons (PX IO 6.0) and if those don't work, I'm sticking with the T100-S.

Honestly regretting selling my i210 set I had with the Steelfibers in them. Shot a personal best with them last year and though they were lacking in distance that I needed, they obviously worked. That's just my experience so far. Plenty of other players having success with the i230, but I don't think there's anything wrong with the i210 at all.

Funny but that was my issue when I played them in 2021......lacked some firepower but UBER consistent..... should have kept my set also

• Like 2

I had the i200s and could only fault the shaft that came with it (AWT95). I know there were a few changes between i200 & i210 but still felt the i200 was a great club head. I really should've re-shafted them with something else. Funnily enough, can still buy a new set of i200's in my area (https://www.thegolffactory.com.au/shop/golf-clubs/ping-i200-irons-right-hand-regular-steel/)

• Like 2

2024:

Dr: Mizuno ST-Z 220 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60 S and MCC+4 Midsize

F: Taylormade Stealth 2 w/ Oban Devotion HB 65.05 and MCC+4 Midsize

I: Titleist T100s w/ Project X LZ 6.0 (+0.50") and MCC+4 Midsize (4-P)  

SW: Vokey SM9 54D 12° w/ Dynamic Gold S300 (+0.50") and MCC+4 Midsize    

P: Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven (35")

B: Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide or Bridgestone Tour B X

5 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

What's keeping you in them? Are they simply the most balanced players cb with progressive forgiveness and distance control or something else? 

Inform me please......

Why would I buy something else?  Granted, the i230 line (assuming I wanted to stay with Ping) is likely better, on paper.  Or with a robot hitting them.  But I'm not a robot.  Realistically, what am I going to be able to do with i230s (or pick the New Hotness of your choice) that I'm not going to do with my i210s?  And now I'm out---Sweet Baby Jesus, our tasty Lord and Savior:  How much do they cost?!---2 grand or so???!!

That's a Bandon trip or two.  Nope.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, over7par said:

Shot a personal best with them last year and though they were lacking in distance that I needed, they obviously worked.

I don't want to come off like the Ping cheerleader, but if you're lacking in distance, or have that as a general lament, the i210 line really doesn't address that.  (I have the same complaint, but my reason is I'm taking good club speed and converting it instead into loft and spin.  Broomforce is helping...)

Anyway, i210s aren't for the guy who wants 15 more yards per iron; they're for the guy who will throw a fit if his 191 yard 5 iron goes 189 or 193 instead.  And on that spec, they kill.

You've got to like chunky looks, high VCoG, and gobs of bounce and offset, of course.  But that's just Ping being Ping.

• Like 3

The only thing better than their L&R dispersion is the front-to-back dispersion.  It’s uncanny.

Only thing I’m considering is dropping to stiff flex or maybe Modus, but the heads are staying.

• Like 1

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

1 hour ago, Sakman said:

I’m sure whoever purchased is taking good care of them Ty. :classic_ninja:

I hope they're treating you like they did me! Lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

I don't want to come off like the Ping cheerleader, but if you're lacking in distance, or have that as a general lament, the i210 line really doesn't address that.  (I have the same complaint, but my reason is I'm taking good club speed and converting it instead into loft and spin.  Broomforce is helping...)

Anyway, i210s aren't for the guy who wants 15 more yards per iron; they're for the guy who will throw a fit if his 191 yard 5 iron goes 189 or 193 instead.  And on that spec, they kill.

You've got to like chunky looks, high VCoG, and gobs of bounce and offset, of course.  But that's just Ping being Ping.

Oh, you're absolutely right. I know they're not distance machines. I will say with Trackman testing, I gained probably a good 7-10 yards with the i230s vs the i210s. They're in line with my T100-S irons, which is to be expected after power spec'ing them (they're either the same or 0.5° stronger than T100-S), so I got super excited there. But we play golf outdoors and they just weren't great for me there, so that's why I've went the route I have in reordering with the PX IO. I WANT them to work badly, because I feel like I need a little bit of that chunkiness and bounce that the T100-S don't have. I love those irons too--they're way more forgiving than they look like they should be, but I'm also not a robot as you said in your other post.

There's also a ton of truth in your other post--what are these irons going to give me that I couldn't already get in i210? Not much. It's taking a lot of time and money to come to that realization myself. So because I've already sold my i210s to @Sakman , I'm hoping the i230s work with this shaft change so I can get myself to Bandon too.

• Like 1

Dam !   I’m still playing the ie1.  It was the first to use the stainless that they use in the 200 and 210. It felt great and I like the setup.  

Looks wise I prefer the tungsten forged into the iron over the screw.

Also, the blue logo thing in the cavity wasn’t to my liking but lead tape took care of that.

really think the differences in the way they play are minimal at best. Slight bounce differences here and there but behind the ball at set up they look pretty much the same to me.

do wonder if the hydro-pearl finish would make a difference in play on a wet morning though, that would maybe influence a change if I were to make one.  

• Like 1

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

I tested the i210 but didn't get them, I still have the iBlades (recovered, they got stolen), currently playing all Callaway...i210s are really forgiving, but didn't impress me enough to change from the iBlades...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

Still rocking the 210s. It’s hard to imagine an iron doing much more for me but I’m very tempted by the 230s. Sounds like a little higher flight in the long irons and harder to hit left. Those are the only two things I think could benefit me. Even if I get the 230s I will not be getting rid of the 210s. Went from not a great iron player to it being the strength of my game with these.

• Like 1

I still have a set and have them in bag #2 over my 745/945 set.  But that is more because of the wedges I have with that set.  Great irons, I'm a fanboy, but as I had issue in the past, my eyes keep wandering back to a set of 760s and I might have to end up getting a set of those again.  This time I would look to get one with the AW as I like set clubs in that set vs. a real 'wedge'.

• Like 1

A Revolving Door

On 2/1/2023 at 5:16 PM, SwooshLT said:

What's keeping you in them? Are they simply the most balanced players cb with progressive forgiveness and distance control or something else? 

Inform me please......

Swoosh, the i210's have probably been the most consistent irons I've played. Definitely not the longest out there, but for me they're just aim and shoot. The turf interaction/sole works well with my swing, but some may find a bit too much bounce compared to other irons in the same category. I'll continue to tinker and try others, but the i210's aren't going anywhere.

Hope this helps!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, over7par said:

There's also a ton of truth in your other post--what are these irons going to give me that I couldn't already get in i210? Not much. It's taking a lot of time and money to come to that realization myself. So because I've already sold my i210s to @Sakman , I'm hoping the i230s work with this shaft change so I can get myself to Bandon too.

...and if they don't I'm pretty sure I'd take those off your hands too. :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, PEI_Golfer said:

I still have a set and have them in bag #2 over my 745/945 set.  But that is more because of the wedges I have with that set.  Great irons, I'm a fanboy, but as I had issue in the past, my eyes keep wandering back to a set of 760s and I might have to end up getting a set of those again.  This time I would look to get one with the AW as I like set clubs in that set vs. a real 'wedge'.

Geez, the 760s are such a good iron too. Had a used set for a spell last year and they were just really solid. I love the pre-worn front edge of those.

I just recently got mine. Love them! They are not going anywhere. Coming from player distance irons for the last 4 years, these are refreshing for me on every level. Great feel, consistency, and appeal.

And they apparently hold their value very well.

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

1 hour ago, over7par said:

Geez, the 760s are such a good iron too. Had a used set for a spell last year and they were just really solid. I love the pre-worn front edge of those.

I think they were great irons that might not have gotten enough 'love' as they weren't 'player' enough for people.  Felt great, forgiving enough.  and I've regretted selling mine off since I did it.

• Like 1

A Revolving Door

Still in i200's with KBS Tour S in them.  Have taken me from 21 handicap to an 11.1.  Tweaked the grips to midsize +4s from standard and they felt like a new club to me.  The ho in me wants to buy something new as they do feel a little short at times, maybe i should just trim some 230's just for research purposes...

If I could find a brand new set of i210s with my shafts and specs I would be all over them. I have 230s custom to my specs and while they are great and I am sure there are improvements, they just don't play nearly as forgiving as the 210s did. Not sure if its my swing or the clubs. As a matter of fact, I am gaming ZX7s now and the 230s are in the garage for a while. 

• Like 2

I'm still an i210 user. And it isn't by accident. I had not bought a brand new set of irons since (very literally) about 1997. When I did choose to buy a brand new set of irons - it was part circumstance, but also part my desire to own the i210s.

I've got some very particular views on iron design and development - as well as product development in general - so I follow iron releases very, very closely.

I watch to see what gets picked up on tour. What sticks through various cycles. I look at WRX and other forums, to gauge public opinion. You've got to be patient. No pre-ordering. Wait until they've been in bags for a year or more. 

It takes some time and research - but through that process - the truly great club designs tend to emerge. I'd argue that the i210's are one of those unicorns where they got everything right at a certain point in time.

I'd compare them to the Titleist 962s, TM 300s, Original AP2s and 718s, MP62, Hogan Apex '99, Coin Forged TM MB's, TM 2011 MC's - not revolutionary, but just a model where they got everything right. This doesn't happen in every product cycle. Some are better than others.

So, I'm not going to say that the i210's are the "greatest irons of all time" or anything like that - but I do believe they are among a select group of clubs that managed to hit on a magic formula. They are wonderful, wonderful irons.

But, like any golf club, you do have to hit them right. And the i210's do want to be hit in a pretty specific way. If you find that way, they are as good as pretty much anything ever produced. 

If you don't, they will be spinny and short.

Edited by jholz
  • Like 3

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge