2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Bryson DeChambeau Taylormade Stealth Plus 2 2/2/23 (*** NO LIV CONTENT ***)

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

Ok. I figured there was one of the cobra guys in here.  I kid I kid. 

im not giving Taylormade any Ws.  I literally said IF.  And that I didn’t think he had found “ best “.      You guys jump off bridges too quickly and refuse t hear what I’m saying.  

im one of the most traditional guys here.  I’d outlaw graphite shafts and big drivers yesterday if you give me the power. But I play them for the advantage.  You can’t call me a bryson fan if I’d want to throttle him that much.  It makes no sense.  

but you also cannot expect me to automatically take cobras side as if Bryson just can’t see or feel what he’s saying.  

to break this down. He’s likely talking  about a 1.5 inch square on the face. He’s not talking about amateur misses.  And he’s likely seeing spin jump dramatically for that tiny miss. At his speed I’d bet he gets 1500 rpm variations inside a small area.  Suppose he just hit something that brings that to a 400 rpm variance ???????? That’s huge.  Really huge.  Probably 50 yards huge at his speed.  The question of whether he can use that speed on tour is irrelevant in his mind.  And I see what he’s saying.  He wants to see top performance whether he can keep it on the race track or not.   It’s not a dig on cobra really.  It’s just facts.

I’m in the car world. And it’s no different than when we see a car gain 3-4 tenths 60 foot times just by changing tire compounds.  Some cars and some tracks like different things.   They simply can’t find him a driver that he loves.  It’s that simple. I highly doubt he’s hating on them on purpose.  I’m sure he wants to love a cobra driver.  But he hasn’t.  For a guy with speed. Finding a driver you like is a unicorn.  But we’ve all had a few , and that’s why you hate to settle .  You chase that perfection again.  I don’t know why you guys are having a cow over it.  

He made one completely fair correction and two well-reasoned follow up points to your post and you went on that rant and we are having a cow?

There are limits on drivers, if he wants to see if someone else operates within those limits more to his liking so be it, but going out of his way to trash an OEM that supported him is a bad look.

Edited by TLUBulldogGolf
  • Like 4

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15* Devotion HB 75-X
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

40 minutes ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

He made one completely fair correction and two well-reasoned follow up points to your post and you went on that rant and we are having a cow?

There are limits on drivers, if he wants to see if someone else operates within those limits more to his liking so be it, but going out of his way to trash an OEM that supported him is a bad look.

Lol.  Again.  I am not defending Bryson.  I don’t advocate making any talks public.  I don’t think we the fans should hear half what we do.  That aside.  You can’t be serious if you’re insinuating that All drivers are identical now ?   I know that’s not what you meant.  So why mention limits.  Nobody said a word about cor or CT. 

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

10 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Lol.  Again.  I am not defending Bryson.  I don’t advocate making any talks public.  I don’t think we the fans should hear half what we do.  That aside.  You can’t be serious if you’re insinuating that All drivers are identical now ?   I know that’s not what you meant.  So why mention limits.  Nobody said a word about cor or CT. 

Not only is it not what I meant it’s nothing close to what I said. 

There are limits beyond just CT and every OEM must meet them. Bryson’s statement would seem to indicate he is completely unaware of them.

• Like 1

Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

ProV1x

1 hour ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

There are limits beyond just CT and every OEM must meet them. Bryson’s statement would seem to indicate he is completely unaware of them.

He did not graduate college with a physics degree. He is NOT a scientist, just an attention seeker

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, bladehunter said:

im not giving Taylormade any Ws.  I literally said IF.  And that I didn’t think he had found “ best “.      You guys jump off bridges too quickly and refuse t hear what I’m saying.  

but you also cannot expect me to automatically take cobras side as if Bryson just can’t see or feel what he’s saying.  

to break this down. He’s likely talking  about a 1.5 inch square on the face. He’s not talking about amateur misses.  And he’s likely seeing spin jump dramatically for that tiny miss. At his speed I’d bet he gets 1500 rpm variations inside a small area.  Suppose he just hit something that brings that to a 400 rpm variance ???????? That’s huge.  Really huge.  Probably 50 yards huge at his speed.  The question of whether he can use that speed on tour is irrelevant in his mind.  And I see what he’s saying.  He wants to see top performance whether he can keep it on the race track or not.   It’s not a dig on cobra really.  It’s just facts.

We hear what you're saying, and pointing out that it doesn't make sense. But please keep telling us we're the crazy ones vs trying to hear what we're actually saying.

As for the last paragraph that's not what Bryson said. He said ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE and still hit the fairway. He didn't mention smaller changes. You're basically making up a fictious argument for Bryson vs just using his own words. There's a big difference between wanting top performance (which who doesn't want?!), and wanting things that aren't possible.

We're saying there are limits that ALL manufacturer's have to deal with, such as physics. When Bryson says he wants a driver where you can miss anywhere and everywhere (which by definition would include "amateur misses" per your earlier post) and still hit the fairway then anyone who knows anything about clubs is going to say that is physically not possible. "There are no solutions, only tradeoffs". While we can make the tradeoffs smaller over time, they still remain. Guarantee every single OEM would agree with Cobra's statement. Otherwise they woulda made that club already.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TLUBulldogGolf said:

So we agree. Not all drivers are the same.   So him not being happy with his oems offerings is perfectly valid thing to feel.  His crime was saying  it out loud ? 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

7 hours ago, Albatross Dreamer said:

We hear what you're saying, and pointing out that it doesn't make sense. But please keep telling us we're the crazy ones vs trying to hear what we're actually saying.

As for the last paragraph that's not what Bryson said. He said ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE and still hit the fairway. He didn't mention smaller changes. You're basically making up a fictious argument for Bryson vs just using his own words. There's a big difference between wanting top performance (which who doesn't want?!), and wanting things that aren't possible.

We're saying there are limits that ALL manufacturer's have to deal with, such as physics. When Bryson says he wants a driver where you can miss anywhere and everywhere (which by definition would include "amateur misses" per your earlier post) and still hit the fairway then anyone who knows anything about clubs is going to say that is physically not possible. "There are no solutions, only tradeoffs". While we can make the tradeoffs smaller over time, they still remain. Guarantee every single OEM would agree with Cobra's statement. Otherwise they woulda made that club already.

Ok.  But.  if I accept the “ but physics “ argument …. Then we must also accept the idea im stating. That if he plays another driver and sees better numbers , and or finds a preferred feel …. Then him griping about cobra not providing that is valid. Although I’ll repeat again , - he shouldn’t have griped  publicly.    If you get that.  We have no disagreement.  That’s all I’m saying.  

im simply trying to read between the lines . When a player complains this much. He’s not happy with the product.  Bryson just puts his foot in his mouth trying to sound smart.  But in reality this isn’t different in practice than tiger telling a guy that his 6 iron weighs 2 grams too much , or hideki that his driver face needs paint removed from the borders to look more open. It boils down to getting a club in the players hands that he trusts.  Cobra didn’t do that.   

you can say it’s impossible. But if another oem does it. That claim falls down.  Yes ?  By does it I mean puts a driver in his hands he doesn’t criticize.  

I say all that knowing it’s a moot point. He retired a year or so ago.  Why were even arguing is beyond me.  I’ll claim my half of the blame there. 

Edited by bladehunter

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

7 hours ago, gators78 said:

Disclaimer here that I don’t play any Cobra or Taylormade clubs.

Here’s a traditional take, he shouldn’t be airing Cobra out publicly because whether he means to blast them or not, he sure is cashing their checks on purpose. If he wants to keep that in the locker room then fine, but he flat out looks bad. Cobra was put in a position to defend their team and this isn’t the first time Bryson made public comments that were his excuse for crap play. It’s laughable because Kyle Berkshire doesn’t seem to have any problem with a Cobra driver when he gets to 230+ MPH ball speeds.

The issue is Bryson took a few undergrad classes and believes he can rewrite the laws of physics but can’t accept the answer of “ we can try, but there will be trade offs.” Your example is perfect because even a 400 RPM difference could be the difference of +/- 30 yards (or probably more aka wider than a fairway) at that speed. 

Agree. 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Ok.  But.  if I accept the “ but physics “ argument …. Then we must also accept the idea im stating. That if he plays another driver and sees better numbers , and or finds a preferred feel …. Then him griping about cobra not providing that is valid. Although I’ll repeat again , - he shouldn’t have griped  publicly.    If you get that.  We have no disagreement.  That’s all I’m saying.  

im simply trying to read between the lines . When a player complains this much. He’s not happy with the product.  Bryson just puts his foot in his mouth trying to sound smart.  But in reality this isn’t different in practice than tiger telling a guy that his 6 iron weighs 2 grams too much , or hideki that his driver face needs paint removed from the borders to look more open. It boils down to getting a club in the players hands that he trusts.  Cobra didn’t do that.   

you can say it’s impossible. But if another oem does it. That claim falls down.  Yes ?  By does it I mean puts a driver in his hands he doesn’t criticize.  

I say all that knowing it’s a moot point. He retired a year or so ago.  Why were even arguing is beyond me.  I’ll claim my half of the blame there. 

I 100% agree he can look around for a different driver and perhaps Cobra isn't the best one for him. Would be kinda weird after he hyped it so much, but perhaps he got ahead of himself.

I think where our disconnect is you're working under the assumption Bryson can be pleased, whereas I question whether any OEM could put a club in Bryson's hands that he trust based on his public comments. Now maybe he's just saying crazy stuff for attention and doesn't really feel that way, but we can't know that and I so I can't work off that assumption.

To me that's where it's different then the cases you mentioned, or say Rory switching to Vokeys (aside from the public stuff). There's a pretty clear pattern that what he wants isn't realistic based on the past couple years. Two things could be true- maybe there's a better driver for him, and maybe right now he doesn't have realistic expectations. In some ways only time will tell on that front.

Does that make sense and now do you kinda get what I'm trying to say?

2 hours ago, bladehunter said:

So we agree. Not all drivers are the same.   So him not being happy with his oems offerings is perfectly valid thing to feel.  His crime was saying  it out loud ? 

Crime lol. But yes, and saying more wrong things in an attempt to sound smart.

Edited by TLUBulldogGolf

Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

ProV1x

11 hours ago, Airjenks said:

When brooks took a break from Srixon for a major and went back to taylormade driver and titleist ball there wasn’t 12 pages of haters on golfwrx… same with Rory ditching his wedges for sm9’s and he’s the number one guy in the world.

Why isn’t everyone agreeing that Bryson moves the needle? If I was a manufacturer I’d love to have him… but that’s being the owner. The employees on the other hand….. 

Brooks and Rory didn't take a dump on their sponsors when making their switches.  BDC has a long history of demonstrating the belief that he's the Smartest Guy in the Room, and he's going to provoke this sort of response as long as he continues to do so.

He's certainly going to find another sponsor, although if I'm the CEO of a major OEM, I don't know that I'd be all that eager to sign him on.  He's going to be extremely high maintenance and (as you noted) make your skilled R&D guys miserable, and the return on the investment is uncertain.  Even if you don't care about the jump to LIV, he hasn't played well enough for a while now to make you want to run out and buy your products.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, doctorbloor said:

Brooks and Rory didn't take a dump on their sponsors when making their switches.  BDC has a long history of demonstrating the belief that he's the Smartest Guy in the Room, and he's going to provoke this sort of response as long as he continues to do so.

He's certainly going to find another sponsor, although if I'm the CEO of a major OEM, I don't know that I'd be all that eager to sign him on.  He's going to be extremely high maintenance and (as you noted) make your skilled R&D guys miserable, and the return on the investment is uncertain.  Even if you don't care about the jump to LIV, he hasn't played well enough for a while now to make you want to run out and buy your products.

When did he take a dump on cobra? He used a stealth 2 in a tournament and talked broadly about all golf club technology. There wasn’t much there. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Airjenks said:

When did he take a dump on cobra? He used a stealth 2 in a tournament and talked broadly about all golf club technology. There wasn’t much there. 

I’d call it a slap in the face to Cobra though, especially after the s^^t he talked about the Cobra driver a while back. I read the GD article and Cobra has, per the article, went tremendously out of bounds for the guy! I’m not knocking him totally, I play OL irons for reason other than he does! He’s a one off for sure, and I like they side of him to a degree. He was,per the GW article in negotiations with Cobra for new contract then showed up with the TM. Also there was some talk over the LIV BS with sponsorship stuff. Hopefully he will get on the right track. Rory’s new contract was for 10 or so clubs I’ve read also., don’t quote me on that though! It’ll all work out in the wash one day! 

1 hour ago, Airjenks said:

You guys have all the golf/equipment stuff handled. So I’ll just add a friendly PSA. If you’re gonna take a dump on a cobra. Make sure it’s sleeping. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Albatross Dreamer said:

I 100% agree he can look around for a different driver and perhaps Cobra isn't the best one for him. Would be kinda weird after he hyped it so much, but perhaps he got ahead of himself.

I think where our disconnect is you're working under the assumption Bryson can be pleased, whereas I question whether any OEM could put a club in Bryson's hands that he trust based on his public comments. Now maybe he's just saying crazy stuff for attention and doesn't really feel that way, but we can't know that and I so I can't work off that assumption.

To me that's where it's different then the cases you mentioned, or say Rory switching to Vokeys (aside from the public stuff). There's a pretty clear pattern that what he wants isn't realistic based on the past couple years. Two things could be true- maybe there's a better driver for him, and maybe right now he doesn't have realistic expectations. In some ways only time will tell on that front.

Does that make sense and now do you kinda get what I'm trying to say?

It does. And I’ll concede that as a possibility for sure. Thank you for hearing what I’m saying. 

• Like 1

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

8 minutes ago, TiScape said:

You guys have all the golf/equipment stuff handled. So I’ll just add a friendly PSA. If you’re gonna take a dump on a cobra. Make sure it’s sleeping. 

Or gives consent ! 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

20 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Ok. I figured there was one of the cobra guys in here.  I kid I kid. 

im one of the most traditional guys here.  I’d outlaw graphite shafts and big drivers yesterday if you give me the power. But I play them for the advantage.  You can’t call me a bryson fan if I’d want to throttle him that much.  It makes no sense.  

I’m in the car world. And it’s no different than when we see a car gain 3-4 tenths 60 foot times just by changing tire compounds.  Some cars and some tracks like different things.   They simply can’t find him a driver that he loves.  It’s that simple. I highly doubt he’s hating on them on purpose.  I’m sure he wants to love a cobra driver.  But he hasn’t.  For a guy with speed. Finding a driver you like is a unicorn.  But we’ve all had a few , and that’s why you hate to settle .  You chase that perfection again.  I don’t know why you guys are having a cow over it.  

The amount of assumptions in this make it impossible to have a serious conversation. Saying you're "one of the most traditional guys here" is a weird thing to lean into. Especially when following it up with how you use graphite shafts and big woods (the things you would outlaw) just for the advantages they bring. Yeah, I'd say that's the point of them. Just like we no longer ride behind a horse when traveling, a car is much more advantageous. Tech advances don't degrade tradition, they are built upon the foundation traditions have left. 

• Like 1

Just now, coloradogolf72 said:

The amount of assumptions in this make it impossible to have a serious conversation. Saying you're "one of the most traditional guys here" is a weird thing to lean into. Especially when following it up with how you use graphite shafts and big woods (the things you would outlaw) just for the advantages they bring. Yeah, I'd say that's the point of them. Just like we no longer ride behind a horse when traveling, a car is much more advantageous. Tech advances don't degrade tradition, they are built upon the foundation traditions have left. 

They supplant.  Not degrade. 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 minute ago, bladehunter said:

They supplant.  Not degrade. 

Uh... I literally said they don't degrade. 

The statement that you're one of the most traditional guys here is just silly for many reasons though. Looking at the clubs in your sig doesn't really scream tradition... so it's a bit tough to get behind. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, coloradogolf72 said:

Uh... I literally said they don't degrade. 

The statement that you're one of the most traditional guys here is just silly for many reasons though. Looking at the clubs in your sig doesn't really scream tradition... so it's a bit tough to get behind. 

Then we agree !!   I prefer tradition.  And you prefer what is built now on top of it.  I clearly said why.  You can’t compete today  with clubs of the 70s 80s and 90s.  The game is easier now , so you must keep up.  I realize I’m not a great communicator.  But when you pair that with purposely obtuse.  Well. We don’t really exchange many thoughts.  

my point to that was again , very simply , that I wasn’t on board with Brysons arms race ideals. And I used my personal preferences to illustrate that. But that if I stepped into his place , I can see why he complains of his oem  not meeting his wants.  There is no underlying theme . It’s that simple.  

Edited by bladehunter

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

3 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Then we agree !!   I prefer tradition.  And you prefer what is built now on top of it.  I clearly said why.  You can’t compete today  with clubs of the 70s 80s and 90s.  The game is easier now , so you must keep up.  I realize I’m not a great communicator.  But when you pair that with purposely obtuse.  Well. We don’t really exchange many thoughts.  

my point to that was again , very simply , that I wasn’t on board with Brysons arms race ideals. And I used my personal preferences to illustrate that. But that if I stepped into his place , I can see why he complains of his oem  not meeting his wants.  There is no underlying theme . It’s that simple.  

There is a massive underlying theme. Bryson has unrealistic expectations of his equipment and the OEMs. He went on numerous podcasts speaking highly of the AeroJet months before its release claiming it was the one they've been building for years and he was so excited for it. To then step away, especially after his temper tantrum earlier last year towards Cobra, shows how immature he is. To put ANY blame on Cobra or the AeroJet is hard for me to get behind. They've supported Bryson, and Rickie for that matter, even when they were clearly on the decline in performance. They don't seem to care much for anything other than supporting their staff players, and I have to respect that. 

So, we take away from this all that Bryson is a bit of a primadonna most of the time. Even watching some his YouTube videos is tough. I have a ton of respect for Cobra for putting up with Bryson now that we've seen how crazy he is. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, coloradogolf72 said:

There is a massive underlying theme. Bryson has unrealistic expectations of his equipment and the OEMs. He went on numerous podcasts speaking highly of the AeroJet months before its release claiming it was the one they've been building for years and he was so excited for it. To then step away, especially after his temper tantrum earlier last year towards Cobra, shows how immature he is. To put ANY blame on Cobra or the AeroJet is hard for me to get behind. They've supported Bryson, and Rickie for that matter, even when they were clearly on the decline in performance. They don't seem to care much for anything other than supporting their staff players, and I have to respect that. 

So, we take away from this all that Bryson is a bit of a primadonna most of the time. Even watching some his YouTube videos is tough. I have a ton of respect for Cobra for putting up with Bryson now that we've seen how crazy he is. 

Being excited for a new line. Then being disappointed if it doesn’t suit you seems like a natural human reaction in each situation.  Again I say.  The only thing wrong is making public comments.    Privately I’d reject their driver if I didn’t like it.   But I wouldn’t call it out publicly if I accepted money from them.  Most of these guys have a performance clause in their contracts. Which id guess is why Bryson could go back to the older models when  he didn’t  like the new ones.  

the underlying tone is that you want To simply pile on vs discuss two sides of a coin. And me bringing up the other side is interrupting  the pile on session. 

Edited by bladehunter

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

38 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Being excited for a new line. Then being disappointed if it doesn’t suit you seems like a natural human reaction in each situation.  Again I say.  The only thing wrong is making public comments.    Privately I’d reject their driver if I didn’t like it.   But I wouldn’t call it out publicly if I accepted money from them.  Most of these guys have a performance clause in their contracts. Which id guess is why Bryson could go back to the older models when  he didn’t  like the new ones.  

the underlying tone is that you want To simply pile on vs discuss two sides of a coin. And me bringing up the other side is interrupting  the pile on session. 

Incorrect, sir. Bryson has done this multiple times now. He helped design shafts literally for himself with LAGolf and then took them out of play, now has done this with Cobra. Do you see the pattern? There isn't much of a debate on this one. It's one thing for an average consumer to be "excited for a new release" vs Bryson who had previously trashed Cobra's driver live on TV (unnecessarily I may add) and then was a massive part of the design of this driver. He spoke quite a bit about it with Rick Shiels on a podcast and how much he participated in the design to get it where he wanted it. Then to just turn his back on it so quickly, like he did with LAGolf and the driver shaft, it's now a fool me twice situation and those that can even remotely side with Bryson are blind. 

• Like 3

13 pages means the big golfer moves the needle.  Just not in a great direction.  Maybe he has a come to Jesus or epiphany at some point and finds some humility. Or maybe he'll miraculously win another major and turn the ship around that way.  Either way, he makes it interesting.  Its one of those "its hideous can't look away" deals

Edited by Avidswampthing66
  • Like 1

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

24 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

24 Apex Pro 4 Iron

24 Callaway JDM X -Forged 5-PW  Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

Butter Putter

Chrome Tour X

• GwrxMod changed the title to Bryson DeChambeau Taylormade Stealth Plus 2 2/2/23 (*** NO LIV CONTENT ***)