PXG's new Gen6 lineup – 0311 driver, 0311 fairway, 0311 hybrid, and 0311P irons

Can anyone quantify what gains they’re seeing over previous Gen PXG drivers?

I’ve tried most of the stuff out this year, and at best I’ve seen a 2mph ball speed increase. 

That’s not enough for me. I really like the Gen5, and 5 yards isn’t worth £300 plus giving away a driver a like. 

I can’t go back to the days where I had multiple drivers ‘just in case’. One at a time for me these days 😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RH82 said:

Anyone hit both the Gen 5/6 driver? The Gen 5 is at a good price right now so I'm wondering if the 6 is worth the upgrade.

Did you read this post above?

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 8*, Vanquish 4TX // Tour 9*, Diamana WB 53X // 0311 9*, Ventus Blue+ 5X

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

3 minutes ago, RH82 said:

Yes. it should have been worded as anyone "else". I'm looking for more than one opinion.

Here ya go..............Matt hit both, so.........

Matt:  ..."most improved driver of 2023 goes to PXG"..."their last driver wasn't even close to this good"

KABOOM!!

Edited by BirdieBob
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 8*, Vanquish 4TX // Tour 9*, Diamana WB 53X // 0311 9*, Ventus Blue+ 5X

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

11 minutes ago, BirdieBob said:

Here ya go..............Matt hit both, so.........

Matt:  ..."most improved driver of 2023 goes to PXG"..."their last driver wasn't even close to this good"

KABOOM!!

His consistency with it was nuts. I think he and Ian were shocked 

WITB:

Ai Smoke Max 9* Tensei 1k Blue

Ai Smoke Max 5w Ventus Blue +

'24 APEX UW 21* AD IZ 8S

Ping Blueprints S 5-P Modus 105S

Ping S159 50S / 54S/ 58H

Custom PLD Anser 2D Carbon Steel / Stability Tour

Chrome Tour X

These irons did not move the needle for me. I was put off by the two-tone finish and thought they were overly “techy” looking from the photos. I have to say, though, they look outstanding in person. I went by one of the stores yesterday to see the 0211 line and was sort of blown away by the Gen 6 irons. They look way better in person.

I’m a bit of a traditionalist at heart, so anything other than a forged MB is a stretch from my preferred looks. At 49 and playing less, I am exploring some options to allow me to keep consistency intact when my swing is off (I.e., every time I get out to play now that I am relegated to 9 holes per week). I haven’t hit them yet, but want to now that I have seen them. 

Edited by BCULAW
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, BCULAW said:

They look way better in person.

This is so true. I am a diehard PXG fan and have been since day 1 when they came out.

When the early pics of the G6 irons came out here I was very critical. Said they were very "cheap" looking. They are quite the opposite in person. The milled backing is so high quality as is the entire iron.

I'm still holding out hope to see how I can get my hands on a set of the Blackhawks without having to sell a kidney. Long shot I know, but if it doesn't happen I will have a set of the Xtreme Dark G6's.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTER -   LAB MEZZ MAX Blue head w/white Accra

LAB MEZZ MAX Red head w/black Accra
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL ON ALL

Went for a fitting the other day with a buddy. P6’s are really good. I was impressed with the consistent ball flight and the ease to hit a low flighted shot. Similar in size to my zx7 mkii irons. I will say my srixons feel softer but p6 didn’t feel bad. I ended up going with gen5 T 567 and 0317st 89p px6.5 2 flat. My buddy went with the p6 5-p kbs tour 130x. He was playing hogan ft worth og irons. I was not impressed with the driver. Numbers were better than the gen 5 but the gen 5 looked and felt better. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 3wood said:

Went for a fitting the other day with a buddy. P6’s are really good. I was impressed with the consistent ball flight and the ease to hit a low flighted shot. Similar in size to my zx7 mkii irons. I will say my srixons feel softer but p6 didn’t feel bad. I ended up going with gen5 T 567 and 0317st 89p px6.5 2 flat. My buddy went with the p6 5-p kbs tour 130x. He was playing hogan ft worth og irons. I was not impressed with the driver. Numbers were better than the gen 5 but the gen 5 looked and felt better. 

Appreciate your info. I finally dialed my Gen5 driver in to where I really don't want to try the Gen6 lol. But probably will. Hoping to go get fitted for Gen6 irons tomorrow. 

7 hours ago, SEP1006 said:

This is so true. I am a diehard PXG fan and have been since day 1 when they came out.

When the early pics of the G6 irons came out here I was very critical. Said they were very "cheap" looking. They are quite the opposite in person. The milled backing is so high quality as is the entire iron.

I'm still holding out hope to see how I can get my hands on a set of the Blackhawks without having to sell a kidney. Long shot I know, but if it doesn't happen I will have a set of the Xtreme Dark G6's.

My thoughts exactly. I thought the photos looked very cheap. They look very high end in person. Maybe my favorite looking so far. Probably too rich for my blood, but might get a shot when Gen 7 hits!!  Ha ha!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/5/2023 at 10:24 PM, BCULAW said:

These irons did not move the needle for me. I was put off by the two-tone finish and thought they were overly “techy” looking from the photos. I have to say, though, they look outstanding in person. I went by one of the stores yesterday to see the 0211 line and was sort of blown away by the Gen 6 irons. They look way better in person.

I’m a bit of a traditionalist at heart, so anything other than a forged MB is a stretch from my preferred looks. At 49 and playing less, I am exploring some options to allow me to keep consistency intact when my swing is off (I.e., every time I get out to play now that I am relegated to 9 holes per week). I haven’t hit them yet, but want to now that I have seen them. 

Irons are straight up sexy in person. And even better at impact. And maybe even better than the ball comes down. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 10k - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - DG x100ss

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Callaway PM Grind 64 - KBS C-Taper 130x

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS
Best Grips Perforated Leather
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

13 hours ago, 3wood said:

I’ve hit mine side by side with zx7 mkii. 

on a absolute flushed shot… the PXG feels a bit more “springy” and the zx7 mkii is a bit more of that one piece mush. Different… hard to say softer?

Off center the PXG are miles better feeling. The Srixon gets harsh. The PXG feedback is good, but not harsh. 

My playing partner has the zx7 mkii. Great irons. Keeping mine for sure tho. 

L.A.B Link.1

6 hours ago, BCULAW said:

My thoughts exactly. I thought the photos looked very cheap. They look very high end in person. Maybe my favorite looking so far. Probably too rich for my blood, but might get a shot when Gen 7 hits!!  Ha ha!!!

The gen6 isn’t really any more than the high end offerings of other companies… and I stand by it being the best balanced iron on the market 

L.A.B Link.1

It’s how balanced the package is to me. That can’t be beat. 

Small, but not intimidating. 
Want to fly straight, but can work. 
Soft, but powerful. 
Long and fast, but not pure distance clubs. 
Springy, but consistent

And that weight in my hands. Every single club feels the same swing weight. Just nailed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

L.A.B Link.1

48 minutes ago, Mahamilto said:

It’s how balanced the package is to me. That can’t be beat. 

Small, but not intimidating. 
Want to fly straight, but can work. 
Soft, but powerful. 
Long and fast, but not pure distance clubs. 
Springy, but consistent

And that weight in my hands. Every single club feels the same swing weight. Just nailed. 

This is so much of what I NEED to hear.... as I've gotten older, my iron play has been more work than I would like..... erratic is an understatement..... I'm going to club champion for a 50 dollar iron fit with gen 6 !!! 

• Like 2

To me G5p were excellent and would have bounced my gen2p, which had beaten out 4-5 other major players over the last 3 seasons. People say “well obviously,” but my gen2p somehow survived an onslaught of poor decisions I got on the BST that just couldn’t beat them. 

The difference during my fitting from g5p to g6p was better consistency in maintaining launch conditions off center and less ballspeed loss especially toe side. This wasn’t to say the g5p wasn’t great; if I didn’t hit the 6 I would have bought the G5s over my currents and over the MP225/223s I had been fit into over the prior week. The gen6 was also a bit better dispersion (right to left AND front to back) than the 5 in my fitting. 

Would I get gen6 if I had the gen5 already? Likely not. Buying de novo the gen6 was a no brainer considering price diff was about 300 or so. 

Im confident the gen6 was better product for me, as my miss is toe side, but the gen5 was excellent. Both felt great. The one benefit you may have with gen5 (other than the price) is the ability to combo with Ts, if you are into that or really want/need more spin on higher lofted irons. No gen6T or similar yet, but I hear something is in the mix. 

I had actually go in with that thought; 5-7 or 8 in gen5p and 8/9-GW in T. I knew the 6 was incoming and wanted the deal on the 5’s and would have been very happy with that.

Fitter said “just try the 6, I’ll let you be the judge”. This was before you could even see pics online. 3 swings in I was like “ok yeah they are amazing and I prefer them to the gen5s, but how much?” I was nearly brought to tears when the fitter told me the new pricing structure. I think I need to see an ENT for my jaw dislocation. I just assumed it was going to be 350/per club and that I would just “wait till next year” to upgrade from the 5s I was about to buy at discount. 

The short irons are super consistent. The distances and dispersion is tight. They check all the boxes. 5-GW g6p and I’m done looking at irons until my swing necessitates a shaft change or I’m at least 3 seasons down the road. I’m that happy. I’m never this happy with clubs. 

Edited by Mahamilto
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

L.A.B Link.1

1 hour ago, eric61 said:

I'll just weigh in quickly with my experience, which I shared in the thread over in the Equipment forum too. I've never played a PXG club or even been in a PXG store until Monday ... I went in for an iron fitting, ordered a set of Gen6 Ps, and they've already shipped. 

I'm not fast. Not "slow" either -- but when I went in, my swing speed with my i230 7 iron with DG 120 S300s was 85ish, carrying low-160s. That distance accurately reflects what I typically see on the course. I've taken some lessons since I was fitted for those i230s, and lately have been hitting them high and with too much spin (high 6000s on Trackman indoors, like 6800ish). 

With the Gen6 P, I'll be honest -- I knew on the first swing that we were going to find a better fit. But we took a full hour and experimented with a ton of stuff. 

My numbers jumped to 180ish carry with a 7 iron, spin in the mid-high 5000s, peak height of 100-105 and landing angle around 46-47. I was also swinging 86-87 mph instead of 85. I did jump back and forth with my i230s just to make sure that slight tick up wasn't because I'd warmed up -- I think it probably had more to do with dropping a few grams of shaft weight once we settled on the Steelfiber i110s. 

What was most impactful for me was the weight port. I do struggle with hooks -- my swing path is very neutral, so it can really hurt me when I get handsy and shut the face down. (This is my biggest swing flaw, and the reason I'm a mid-handicap rather than a low-handicap ... I'm working hard on it!) We found that adding 4g of head weight (so +2 SW points) was incredibly helpful in slowing down my release. I could even hit some slight fades, and it felt like I had to really try to turn it over, which is terrific for me. A degree flat and midsize grips helped too. 

In terms of feel, because someone else mentioned the ZX7 and I played those last year ... I'd say the Gen6 P is somehow at once soft and springy? I'm not entirely sure how to describe it. It's definitely quite a bit softer than other players' distance irons like P790s and even P770s. It is not in the same category as a forged head like the ZX7. But they are softer than my i230s, and I actually think I might like the feel better? Whatever the goo is that PXG uses to fill in its heads is really effective. 

I was happy to place an order. They really accomplished absolutely everything I was looking for. I'm price-conscious too but finding something that I felt that comfortable with made me feel like I might set my WRXer tendencies aside and play these for quite a while.

--

I know it's not what the two posters I quoted are looking for, but just in case somebody stumbles across this and is interested in distance first and foremost: I've demoed some other players' distance irons lately. Not on the same day or with the same shaft, so take these numbers with a grain of salt. But here's what I saw: 

PXG Gen6 P (30 degree 7 iron) -- Low 180s carry, mid-high 5000s spin, well-balanced club head with slim top line

Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal Pro (28.5 degree 7 iron) -- Mid 180s carry, low 5000s spin, bigger club head

TaylorMade P790 (30.5 degree 7 iron lofted up 2 degrees to 32.5) -- Mid 170s carry, high 5000s spin, thicker top line

Callaway Apex 21 (30.5 degree 7 iron) -- High 160s carry, low 5000s spin, great peak height, larger club head with more bounce, stupid forgiving

Callaway Paradym (29 degree 7 iron) -- Mid 170s carry, mid 4000s spin, larger head with thicker top line, firmer feel, very forgiving, would be concerned with stopping power

Eric .....your words mean alot....especially as a fellow lefty ....understanding the frustrations....getting fit Tuesday!!!! 

• Thanks 1

To answer my previous query about what actual distance gains were to be had with the Gen 6 driver, Today’s Golfer mag in the UK quoted PXGs robot testing which suggested a small percentage increase in MOI, and an improvement in dispersion, but about 11 yards improvement at 100mph club speed with the standard driver as a result of higher ball speed and a 500rpm drop in spin. 

11 yards, even in their own testing, kinda aligns with some of the other reviews and is enough for me to trade up. Dammit!

Edited by Wayside
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Todays Golfer 2023 Best Drivers...PXG Gen 5 included

Edited by BirdieBob

On 4/2/2023 at 9:01 AM, NNJ said:

I did try the driver and somehow managed not to buy it. It felt really good on center strikes and good on off center strikes, much faster than the gen5 for me, but I was way too rusty during my fitting and getting weird spin numbers, so I didn’t want to spend the money yet until I was seeing numbers with a fixed swing. Need to try it again when I’m swinging better.

Maybe an Autoflex in a Gen 6 driver would beat it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1