2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Bryson DeChambeau - WITB - 2023 PGA Championship

5 hours ago, Mp14forlife said:

The towel comments crack me up. Tiger had/has a tiger head cover, name on ball. how many players have their name tramp stamped all over their clubs? You think that's for the lost and found? Lol

Dang, don't you get a little sardonicism? Some of you DeFanbeaus crack me up! https://www.indy-archer.com/smileys/mathews_cry_laughing.gif

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, sdiver68 said:

Completely classless fans booing at the tee, both Koepka and DeChambeau.

Agree wholeheartedly. I honestly would love to see One of them win just to shut some people up. I have ZERO ill-will for other players. Didn't we just determine that golf is a JOB for these guys???

• Like 4

2 hours ago, J_Tizzle said:

Meh I'll agree to disagree on the 4 year university stuff.  You basically need a pulse and the money lol.  While some 4 years (SMU probably included) require a bit more than a pulse for sure. 

Thats fine, but it boils down to what you deem smart/dumb. You would be surprised just how low average IQ is.

38 minutes ago, sdiver68 said:

Completely classless fans booing at the tee, both Koepka and DeChambeau.

Agree or disagree, sports fans booing players in multiple professional sports has been around for many years. People have an opinion, they express it by booing 🤷🏼‍♂️ “Classless” perhaps, but at least it beats the heck of of heckling with name calling/nasty comments. 

7 hours ago, J_Tizzle said:

Very interesting, I wonder if he didn't put the 2i into play this week since I don't think there are a ton of opportunities to use it as a tee club.  Maybe put it in for playability vs the 2i?

Spot on, with how firm it is out there no since in having a powerful low lauching 2 iron thats going to run through the fairways on tee shots

• Like 2

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

5 hours ago, Red4282 said:

Thats fine, but it boils down to what you deem smart/dumb. You would be surprised just how low average IQ is.

It's more about what you choose to study IMO. Good luck passing Calc 3/4 and differential equations when you're "dumb" but your parents have some money. No chance. 

Also, Bryson isn't a professional academic. He's not showing up for work in the physics lab discussing his research with professors every day. He's a pro golfer who hangs out with a bunch of other golfers 25-35 years old. Who you spend the most of your time with has a dramatic impact on your communication skills/habits. 

On 5/18/2023 at 8:53 PM, Jmccas said:

I know a few dumb people that went to and graduated from SMU. Rich parents though…

Probably not with an engineering or physics degree. Most of the time money doesn’t buy you a passing grade in the higher level weed out courses, even at a below average engineering school like SMU. 

Edited by ilikegolf26

This is wildly off-topic but SMU is by no means an elite academic institution. It's 72 on US News, tied with NC State and below UConn and UMass. It is a school for rich, academically mediocre students who cannot get into the better rich kid privates like USC, NYU, or Tulane. Bryson went for golf so this does not apply to him really, and physics is tough regardless of where you are at. However, he was never academic all-conference or an honor roll student, meaning Bs/Cs, meaning probably not the genius some of you think. Whether he is likeable is besides the point, and I do not think he is a bad person. 

For some personal context, I played in several junior events he played in as a teen (never paired, as he is older) and in the limited convos we had, he struck me as a bit off. He didn't have many friends and stuck around his dad after rounds, but even then everyone knew he was better than everyone else. For my age group that player was Shintaro Ban (he hasn't made it yet but is supremely talented) and below my group was Justin Suh (having a breakout tourney this weekend), but both of those kids were very well-liked and vastly different in demeanor from Bryson, so I can't attribute it to his excellence. 

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym 🔹🔹🔹 9.5* - Ventus TR Red 6x
Callaway Paradym 3w (@ 16*) - Ventus TR Red 7x
Callaway Paradym 7w (21*) - Ventus TR Red 8x
Srixon ZX7 (4-PW) - KBS Tour V 120x
Vokey SM8 Raw 52F,56D,60M - TI S400 
Odyssey 2-ball OG / Bettinardi DASS BBZero Flow / many more...

Lefty

10 hours ago, Bdck said:

I drove a 365 yard par 4 with a 3 wood a few days back

1 did you at least birdie? 

2 if i drive it 280 to 300 on perfect rare shot with my swing speed then yes i believe you can hit your 3wood that far and driver further

3 i once a hit a drive decent about 240 250 maybe it was a par 5 and had a nice view into green  that was flat but then green elevated the last 10 yards maybe no more then 5 6 feet elevation... so i pull 3 wood fully aware id be no more then at the start of that slight uphill into the green... id probably guess leave myself with 50 to 20 yards. I hit it... it was a mid flight hot one... did not thin it.. dead straight.. goes 290... ends up pin high for eagle maybe 10 feet.. I birdied. Insane. This is how you must feel alot of the time lol.

On 5/19/2023 at 11:33 PM, Santiago Golf said:

Probably something like a 14 to 16 degree ... He had a similar setup with cobra Driver, mini driver, then a 14 to 16 degree wood (he would call it his hybrid)

nice find, i was also wondering which FW it was.

Also glad to see his game is trending in the right direction, with a TOP 5 finish!

Edited by Viper4225
grammar

Did someone in this thread really call Bryson “dumb”? He’s obviously not dumb, when it come to scientific matters I’m sure he’s more knowledgeable than the average person (not that that’s saying much) He just says stupid things. Not a great filter in regards to what’s appropriate to say and what’s not. No doubt a world class talent on the course, but I personally find the guy insufferable otherwise. 

• 2 weeks later...

As someone diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome, Bryson Dechambeau 1000% has Autism Spectrum Disorder. Met him in person, there is no shadow of a doubt in my mind, and I'm way more privy to this type of thing than 99.9% of golfers in the world. He's talented, has distance, and the biggest enemy to his golf game is his own head. I'm not saying he's dumb, quite the opposite. He just goes off on tangents and rabbit holes faster and deeper than anybody can follow, and his golf game suffers for it.

The ASD can explain a lot of the comments people make about him: awkward, sometimes makes dumb comments, poor social skills, not malicious, something off, work ethic, genius (in some areas), obsessive about his game, pisses off traditionalists, the list goes on. ASD in particular has a tendency to make mismatches on a Multiple Intelligence Test, where a handful of areas are in the upper 90 percentiles, and a couple other areas are sometimes in the teens. Neurotypical people almost never have this degree of deviation in the different fields on these tests.

He's constantly tinkering and trying new things, and sometimes I think he moves away from a good piece of equipment that he probably should've stuck with. To me he's super relatable.

Edited by ShAMbotay
  • Like 2

Callaway Customs Rogue ST Max LS @ 9.5 - LAGP Bryson Series 65-4

PING G430 LST 3W - LAGP Bryson Series 75-4

Callaway Apex UW 21° - LAGP Bryson Series 75-4
PING i210 4-U - Recoil Prototype Customs 95 F4
Artisan 54°, 58° - Recoil Prototype 95 F4
Artisan 0418 putter

Chrome Tour, Z-Grip+2, really weird full alligator Vokey stand bag that I've never seen pictures of on the internet

Also is that just me, or is that a 0.580 tip shaft that's just a straight tube of carbon fiber with zero taper on his putter? That plumbers neck looks suspicious.

Callaway Customs Rogue ST Max LS @ 9.5 - LAGP Bryson Series 65-4

PING G430 LST 3W - LAGP Bryson Series 75-4

Callaway Apex UW 21° - LAGP Bryson Series 75-4
PING i210 4-U - Recoil Prototype Customs 95 F4
Artisan 54°, 58° - Recoil Prototype 95 F4
Artisan 0418 putter

Chrome Tour, Z-Grip+2, really weird full alligator Vokey stand bag that I've never seen pictures of on the internet