Tobacco Road Prices 2.5x from last year?

Hi All,

I'm based in the Carolinas and was looking to book a weekend round at Tobacco Road and was taken back after seeing the prices...$260. I have played the course many times over the years (including last year) and have never paid over 120 dollars. Aside from the obvious (inflation/popularity gain), is there any reason for such a rate hike (i.e. new ownership, building additional lodging/courses, etc.)?

Thanks!

Paid $225 per player in May, 2022.

Paid $170 per player in February, 2023.

Guessing they are charging $260 because they can get $260 and keep a full tee sheet.

Is it worth $260?  To me, yes.  To others, maybe not.  Every course has a price that would keep me from playing.

Edited by Maroon_19
  • Like 1

"Obviously you're not a golfer." ~ The Dude
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it
." ~ Ferris Bueller
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight." ~ Ben Hogan

Woods:    Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5* (D,-1) - VA Composites Slay 65 Four | Callaway Rogue ST Max 15* 3W - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S | Callaway Rogue ST Max 20* HeavenWood - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S

Irons:      Artisan FC 4-P - Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff | Mizuno MX-20 4-P DG300S (when I am not getting along with the Artisans)

Wedges:  Artisan 50*, 54*, 58* - DG300S

Putter:     Artisan 0920 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie | Artisan 0220 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie

Ball:         Titleist Pro V1 | Bridgestone Tour B X

13 minutes ago, puttnforthe8 said:

This is POR for pretty much any "destination" course!  TPC Stadium here in AZ was charging $495 plus forecaddie fee!   That course is barely worth the forecaddie fee.  And still it had a full tee sheet every day!!

That's wild! When I played it a few years back I want to say it was around $175 and no caddie/forecaddie.

At $175 I thought it was priced about right. Fun course and solid conditioning. Absolutely no way I would pay $500 to play it

I loved Tobacco Road both time I played it. That was in the late 90's/early 00's and I don't recall it being anywhere near $100 at that time. Maybe 60 or 70 bucks? 

There are very, very few courses in the world for which I'd pay a $260 green fee and Tobacco Road isn't even close to making that list. 

• Like 1

If my memory is correct about having paid, let's say, $65 in the year 2000 that would be $117 in today's money. So I think the "2.5x" in the title is about the right multiplier. Tobacco Road has gotten 2.5x as expensive in constant dollars as it was two decades ago. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am not aware of the situation/value at Tobacco Road.    

Golf Package destinations can get away with high rates, because of group 
trips, where group members don't always know the course per course.   
A couple low cost courses and 4 roomed in a condo can hide a couple 
high priced courses.    

Another possibility is using Dynamic Pricing and weekend rates.   

I have seen courses in Myrtle Beach that start the booking season up 25%, 
but can grow to up 75%, due to Dynamic Pricing.    

And the resorts can fill open tee times with discount rates from locals at 2-7 days out.   

17 hours ago, smashdn said:

It is a fun course and all but not a $120 course

Not a $120 course??? It's one of my favorites and I'd gladly pay $120 to play it . I  don't know where you live or where you visit to play golf, but in my experience, there are thousnads of courses in the U.S., Great Britain and Ireland that charge in excess of $120 that are not nearly as good as TR. TR has been filling its tee sheet for years at $120 or more, so I'd say it is a $120 course

• Like 2

9 hours ago, North Butte said:

If my memory is correct about having paid, let's say, $65 in the year 2000 that would be $117 in today's money. So I think the "2.5x" in the title is about the right multiplier. Tobacco Road has gotten 2.5x as expensive in constant dollars as it was two decades ago. 

I don't think that's unusual for green fees. Golf green fees and College Tuition have skyrocketed almost everywhere faster than the inflation rate for most other things

18 minutes ago, sabram said:

Not a $120 course??? It's one of my favorites and I'd gladly pay $120 to play it . I  don't know where you live or where you visit to play golf, but in my experience, there are thousnads of courses in the U.S., Great Britain and Ireland that charge in excess of $120 that are not nearly as good as TR. TR has been filling its tee sheet for years at $120 or more, so I'd say it is a $120 course

If I were going to be in the area, I'd probably be willing to splash for $120 to play Tobacco Road one more time. That would be pushing it for me but I do like the course a lot. And I know $120 isn't as big a green fee now as it would have seemed just 5-10 years ago. But something like $260 isn't even worth considering for me.

There are certainly a lot of courses around price far beyond what I'd be willing to play them. But other courses also being ridiculously expensive doesn't make $260 for the Road less ridiculously expensive. 

9 minutes ago, North Butte said:

If I were going to be in the area, I'd probably be willing to splash for $120 to play Tobacco Road one more time. That would be pushing it for me but I do like the course a lot. And I know $120 isn't as big a green fee now as it would have seemed just 5-10 years ago. But something like $260 isn't even worth considering for me.

There are certainly a lot of courses around price far beyond what I'd be willing to play them. But other courses also being ridiculously expensive doesn't make $260 for the Road less ridiculously expensive. 

But your post said it's "not a $120 course".

10 minutes ago, sabram said:

But your post said it's "not a $120 course".

Actually, you were replying to @smashdn who made that particular statement. I said TR wasn't even close to making the very short list of courses worth $260.

But of course @smashdn is apparently correct, Tobacco Road isn't a $120 course it's a $260 one nowadays!

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, theweekendgolfer543 said:

Hi All,

I'm based in the Carolinas and was looking to book a weekend round at Tobacco Road and was taken back after seeing the prices...$260. I have played the course many times over the years (including last year) and have never paid over 120 dollars. Aside from the obvious (inflation/popularity gain), is there any reason for such a rate hike (i.e. new ownership, building additional lodging/courses, etc.)?

Thanks!

PH has probably the most seasonal fluctuation in pricing of any place I've been. Sure it might be $280 in high season/right now but it could be half that in the off season.

IMO its worth it but again for others it might not be. Good thing is between Raleigh and PH you have dozens of places to take your business if you dont like it.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

2 hours ago, sabram said:

I live north of Nashville, TN and $80 for a public course is too much for most all of them around here.  

This is one of the best public course offerings in the area > https://www.hermitagegolf.com/president-s-reserve and https://www.hermitagegolf.com/general-s-retreat .  It is max $85 peak time on weekend.  This is another top level public in the area > https://www.gaylordsprings.com/ < it had $90 weekend rates when I tried to book online just now.

So no, using that as a barometer, TR is not a $120 golf course.  Fun course, interesting architecture, I loved it when I played there save for the condition of the greens, but not $120.

Edited by smashdn

That's outrageous.  It's just not a $260 course. 

I love golf so much, but I'm not a fan of the cost of it all.   

Edited by Avidswampthing66
  • Thanks 1

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

18 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

This is POR for pretty much any "destination" course!  TPC Stadium here in AZ was charging $495 plus forecaddie fee!   That course is barely worth the forecaddie fee.  And still it had a full tee sheet every day!!

From watching that course on tv they would have to pay me $495 to play it.  Can’t say I‘ve ever been impressed by an Arizona course outside of Saguaro.  Beautiful landscape though. 

22 minutes ago, So_Cal said:

From watching that course on tv they would have to pay me $495 to play it.  Can’t say I‘ve ever been impressed by an Arizona course outside of Saguaro.  Beautiful landscape though. 

I had the option of TPC Scottsdale for $180 or Dinosaur Mountain for $60 a few years back in September.  I chose Dinosaur Mountain and was very happy with my choice.

• Like 1

For every hype-monster course charging in excess of $200 per round...

There's a comparable course within 20 miles charging half of that rate.

IMHO, the only thing you loose by playing the cheaper alternative is that you can't tell your friends/randoms that you played "insert name of hype-monster course."

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

47 minutes ago, jholz said:

IMHO, the only thing you loose by playing the cheaper alternative is that you can't tell your friends/randoms that you played "insert name of hype-monster course."

Have you played TR? Its not comparable to...anything - there is no cheaper alternative. Its nothing like any course I've played anywhere - and that includes a number of Strantz courses. Its literally a one of a kind.

Edited by dcmidnight
  • Like 3

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Just now, dcmidnight said:

Have you played TR? Its not comparable to...anything - there is no cheaper alternative. To any course I've played and that includes a number of Strantz courses. Its literally a one of a kind.

A reasonable question...and, of course, the answer is "no."

Having said that, I recognize that Tobacco Road is a unique place. I mean, we've all read the "Story of Mike Strantz." I can just picture him now...out there on his horse...in North Carolina...um yeah... Why they need to include that detail is beyond me. The schtick is so thick...

I'm sure the course is cool. I'm sure it's fun.

But, then again, so is the course down the road that charges a third of the price. 

Just my 2 cents on the issue.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

10 years ago it was still the quirky course that some people loved and a lot of people hated. Locals wanted to play it once in a blue moon, and people traveling to Pinehurst from outside the region generally skipped it. Afternoon tee times were not expensive and easy to come by. Golf wasn't booming and destination golf definitely wasn't booming. Then the legend of Mike Strantz grew and Tobacco Road got a cult-like following that evangelized the course online. Then the golf and destination golf boom hit and now their tee sheet is booked solid all year at significantly increase rates. Rates everywhere in the area have gone up a lot, not nearly as fast as TRs. Only Southern Pines have probably increased at a similar rate - but they've done a whole lot of work on it. TR is essentially the same place it was a decade ago.

It's been really interesting to watch it's reputation and cost transition over the last decade. 

For $260, I'd still say you should play it once if you're in the area. It's fun and unique. But I wouldn't play it at the expense of not playing some combination of #2, #4, Pine Needles, Mid Pines, and maybe Southern Pines on a trip to Pinehurst. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jholz said:

Not in AZ.  Even the worst dog track of all dog tracks was over $100.  

• Like 2