2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Workout and stretching routine to help with golf

Start with stretching exercises.. Yoga and Kegel stretches.. strengthen your core first and then move onto basic calisthenics.. (push ups, dips, pullups, etc) If you're not aware of proper form/technique in lifting/moving of weight, find yourself a licensed trainer.

The last thing you want to do is injure yourself and slow your progress back into the game.

GL

Titleist....

Any sort of push/pull, rotational and compound lift exercises are great. Body weight, band, dumbbells, kettlebells, bars, rope and cables are all great for resistance training. Squats, deadlifts, lunges, push-ups, pull-ups, rowing movements. Start with the basics.

As far as stretching and mobility, use a foam roller. Stretch your quads/hip flexors, hamstrings, glutes. 90-90 stretches are great. Focus on your breathing when stretching to ease into the range of motion.

I've recently started doing Neuro-Mass training. Maybe that is something you can incorporate over time. It focuses on one main compound movement and does so with one set of repetitions at a slow pace, then more ballistic (think plyometric in nature i.e. jumping), and then isometric holds. Very functional training for golf for power, stability and overall strength.

• Like 2

Cobra King F9 Speedback 9PX EvenFlow White T-1100 6.5-X 75g

Cobra King F9 Speedback Baffler Tour 4-5 17.5GD Tour AD TP-8x

Cobra King RAD Speed 21*  UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 480 F5

Callaway '09 X-Forged 4-5i  PX Flighted 6.0

Titleist 910H 27Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 100
Cobra S3 Pro Forged CB/MB 6-PW  TT DG TI S400
Titleist Vokey Sm7 52/58*  TT DG S200
Bettinardi  '19 Queen B #6  35"

Titleist AVX/ProV1-V1x

Im 36 and weight training has done more for me than anything else. I like Mark Rippetoe's starting strength program, it's straight forward, easy to follow, and doesn't go down any gym bro crazy paths, just good compound lifts.

I've actually gotten more flexible since I started lifting, which surprised me. I'm adding yoga to my non weight days to maintain and enhance that flexibility.

• Like 2

Diablo Octane Tour Aldila RIP X 70
Diablo Octane Tour 15 Rip Beta X
X2HP 20
MP-64 4-PW KBS Tour X 130
Vokey 50, 54, & 58
Odyssey White Ice Mini T

I've accumulated a library of dozens of (a hundred maybe?) stretches and strength exercises from my several courses of physical therapy for various minor injuries over the years. I could do all of them every day but that would only leave time for sleeping, eating and exercising 😇 so I've had to be selective and just pick and choose enough of them that I can get it done in about 20-25 minutes a day plus a couple of longer sessions each week. 

Not sure it "helped" my golf in terms of scoring or whatever but it has certainly made it possible to play several times a week, year-round, year after year without completely seizing up and falling apart.

• Like 1

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

Re: 3-2-10-2 method 

I use this method during golf season.

Medium Weights - full body 3X per week

Yoga - 2X per week

Walking - 10,000 steps per day

Running or Elliptical - 2X per week, 30 minutes  

Re: warm up

Studies have shown that static stretching before a round can have negative impact. 

Keep your warm-up routine dynamic. 

Eat right.  

Stay hydrated.

• Like 1

Pick any routine that you will stick to.

I lift heavy weights (simple push/pull, and some knee/shoulder prehab) 4x per week, run 1x per week. It is probably not optimal but it is short enough that I have no problem getting it done always less than 20 min, and I do it so it is optimal for me.

In the evenings I follow along a yoga instructor on youtube before bed. Every routine has rotational parts, and that is nice for golf. Also recommend sitting on the floor cross legged 20 minutes per day. While there roll out into other stretches. Easy way to get stretching in, while doing something else. 

14 hours ago, jimmie said:

Im 36 and weight training has done more for me than anything else. I like Mark Rippetoe's starting strength program, it's straight forward, easy to follow, and doesn't go down any gym bro crazy paths, just good compound lifts.

I've actually gotten more flexible since I started lifting, which surprised me. I'm adding yoga to my non weight days to maintain and enhance that flexibility.

I was curious so googled him.  Looks like good, straight-forward lifting information.

I took a lesson the other day and realized that A) i wasn't flexible enough to get to the positions I needed to in order to get the most from my swing and B) I look like a slob on video, I need to lose some fat in my mid-section.

I lift 4-5 days a week (but more bodybuilding stuff - i don't deadlift or put any weight on my back besides a hack squat machine)

Also adding a kettlebell day as kind of my active rest day where i do a little circuit to get a bit more functional strength i guess. 

I do the mcgill big 3 almost every day for back health. Honestly probably need to start doing more mobility work, but I would say if you're starting from scratch, just find a program online that looks doable/enjoyable for you and just start there. It'll make a big difference and you can modify as you get more experienced/see some weak points. 

If you ain't gettin stronger, you're gettin weaker

• Like 1

im not a shill for golf forever but those elastic bands kick my butt.....ive done tons of weigh lifting and almost a year of Stack System and Supersede training as well as Rypstick......ive chased speed for years now......still dont know the secret, still have not gained any distance or speed, but ive done about 10 golf forever workouts and feel much stronger through my swing.

* you dont really need the stick if u want to save cash just the handle and the elastic cord will do.

1 hour ago, smashdn said:

I was curious so googled him.  Looks like good, straight-forward lifting information.

I took a lesson the other day and realized that A) i wasn't flexible enough to get to the positions I needed to in order to get the most from my swing and B) I look like a slob on video, I need to lose some fat in my mid-section.

It is good no bs lifting. If you decide to go that route do make sure to focus on form. Lifting is great for overall health, but you do have to do things the right way to avoid injury. I'm in better shape at 36 than I've ever been in. I shed about 15 pounds over the first month or so and have packed on 25 from there of good solid muscle. My back has given me trouble off an on since getting hit by a car when I was 17, it hasn't hurt in over a year, nothing else I've tried has helped anywhere near as much as building up a support system of muscle to protect it. I dont hurt when I lay down in bed anymore and most of my little annoying aches are gone.

I probably sound like I'm shilling for Rip, but the program is free to track down, the book is great but you can get all the info you really need from their YouTube channel and find the program online.

• Like 2

X2HP 20
Vokey 50, 54, & 58
Odyssey White Ice Mini T

10 minutes ago, jimmie said:

I probably sound like I'm shilling for Rip, but the program is free to track down, the book is great but you can get all the info you really need from their YouTube channel and find the program online.

That was what I liked about it, what little I have seen, it is out there to be had for free.  I mean, it appears to just be basic instruction from what I have seen thus far.  I am sure someone has tried to profiteer from it but you shouldn't I don't guess.  If you had a good weight lifting class in HS this info should have been there.

4 hours ago, smashdn said:

That was what I liked about it, what little I have seen, it is out there to be had for free.  I mean, it appears to just be basic instruction from what I have seen thus far.  I am sure someone has tried to profiteer from it but you shouldn't I don't guess.  If you had a good weight lifting class in HS this info should have been there.

Yeah, I appreciate that they seem to have the primary goal of educating people with a secondary goal of profit. They sell books, have a gym franchise, and sell some equipment, but still put out a ton of solid free to access info. I bought his book, and I'm glad I did, but you don't have to. I'm a details guy and appreciate deep diving into a subject.

X2HP 20
Vokey 50, 54, & 58
Odyssey White Ice Mini T

I’ve done the Fit for Golf routine, a mobility program by a local golf fitness guy, and currently following HWPO Golf. 

https://www.hwpotraining.com/programs/hwpo-golf

Probably a little more advanced than you’re looking for, but for me this has been the sweet spot of foundational strength, rotational power, mobility, and cardiovascular health. 

I do a bit of yoga every day, it is so much part of my daily life I'll continue in perpetuity. The older I get, the more I understand its value, and the level of health and flexibility it lets my body maintain. (I notice this almost every day I see couch potato folks my age creak and groan just standing up out of a chair). I'm tall and thin - my SS has always come more from flexibility than muscle strength. Maintaining the flexibility is my primary focus.

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

There are thousands of different answer to this and probably all of them are OK.  Any work is better than none.  Period.  Once you get competent and will stick with it, then you can fine tune.

For example, a good friend trained and ran a 10k and he hit the golf ball 15 yards further and has less aches and pains and has never enjoyed the game more.  He never lifted a thing.

The most overlooked exercises are building the wrists and also rotating both directions.

On 7/10/2023 at 4:25 PM, jimmie said:

Yeah, I appreciate that they seem to have the primary goal of educating people with a secondary goal of profit. They sell books, have a gym franchise, and sell some equipment, but still put out a ton of solid free to access info. I bought his book, and I'm glad I did, but you don't have to. I'm a details guy and appreciate deep diving into a subject.

That is his other thing.  He won't force you into very much.  He just expects that as an honorable person you would "repay" by buying their products/doing business with them.

I stopped going to the gym at the onset of whatever happened a few years ago. After I got over the inertia, decided I need to find something without the gym.

Started cycling to work about 10km both ways. I understand that's not for everyone, but it keeps the weight off, so I can eat anything and I have a lot of bounce in the old legs.

I wake up and usually go outside and do push ups, supermans, bird dogs, lunges etc.

When my daughter started going to school I would walk her down the street  and there's a park where I can do pull-ups on a swing. Started in April and my goal was hit ten. Finally did that the other day. But, I usually go for three sets of 6. I do some plyometric jumps and what not. Basically, whenever I go to that park, I do pull ups for the duration of my stay. On weekends usually between 30 and 50. Nothing feels better.

Finally, I started hitting the pool. I try to get there at least once a week.  I'm not racing for medals, but I go at a good pace for 30-45 minutes depending on how I feel.

All of this has me at my lowest weight consistently since high school. Hasn't helped my distance off the tee so much. But, I don't feel pain during or after rounds like I had been getting when I wasn't mindful.

My idea is basically to be as athletic as possible, get my a** off the sofa.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, golfortennis said:

That is his other thing.  He won't force you into very much.  He just expects that as an honorable person you would "repay" by buying their products/doing business with them.

That's the main reason I bought the book. I'm glad I did though, there's a lot of good info in it.

X2HP 20
Vokey 50, 54, & 58
Odyssey White Ice Mini T

15 minutes ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

I think that's the most important part. There's no such thing as a one size fits all routine, the most important thing is doing so.ething to stay healthy or get healthier.

X2HP 20
Vokey 50, 54, & 58
Odyssey White Ice Mini T

Just a couple thoughts some stated already.

1. Don't dive in 100MPH your body won't appreciate it and you have a high rate of quitting.

2. Whatever you're doing make sure you have proper form/technique. I see so many injuries from idiots at the gym who care about putting up numbers with no care for their bodies.

3. For lifting I prefer compound movements. Like golf compound movements will most likely mimic a swing, in the sense of the upper and lower body working together. 

4. I tend to mix my days / weeks. Day 1 might be a total body power lift session. The next session might be more high rep and focusing on mobility. I like this as it keeps your body guessing. Our body is extremely 'smart' and adaptable and if you do the same thing over and over it will figure out how to do with less benefits usually.

5. Do a good stretch after lifting no matter what.  

• Like 1

Like you noted, knowing how to make a good swing is useless if you can't physically make the movement. 

Get a TPI assessment from a TPI medial level 2 instructor. The assessment will grade you in handicap terms: 0 great, 35 really bad. 

This gives you stretches and exercises specific to your needs. Plus, the pro can help you learn the exercises while the videos can help reinforce them later on. 

Follow up a few weeks later for a 2nd assessment. Your "cap" should have dropped and the instructor can refocus your efforts as needed. 

Well worth $400. I would argue that taking lessons isn't all that useful if your body isn't already sorted out. That's my experience. 

On 7/15/2023 at 4:03 PM, Christen_The_Sloop said:

I stopped going to the gym at the onset of whatever happened a few years ago. After I got over the inertia, decided I need to find something without the gym.

Started cycling to work about 10km both ways. I understand that's not for everyone, but it keeps the weight off, so I can eat anything and I have a lot of bounce in the old legs.

I wake up and usually go outside and do push ups, supermans, bird dogs, lunges etc.

When my daughter started going to school I would walk her down the street  and there's a park where I can do pull-ups on a swing. Started in April and my goal was hit ten. Finally did that the other day. But, I usually go for three sets of 6. I do some plyometric jumps and what not. Basically, whenever I go to that park, I do pull ups for the duration of my stay. On weekends usually between 30 and 50. Nothing feels better.

Finally, I started hitting the pool. I try to get there at least once a week.  I'm not racing for medals, but I go at a good pace for 30-45 minutes depending on how I feel.

All of this has me at my lowest weight consistently since high school. Hasn't helped my distance off the tee so much. But, I don't feel pain during or after rounds like I had been getting when I wasn't mindful.

Cycling should be for everyone: it was good enough for Einstein! 

On 7/9/2023 at 8:56 AM, Razor4888 said:

I am getting back into golf at the age of 38 but I feel 50! I am so stiff compared to my 20's. Does anyone have a recommended workout routine for 1-2 gym trips a week and then a daily stretching routine to help with my golf game? 

I get you. I did martial arts from the ages of 11-18, and I was in the leanest and most flexible time of my life. Well, 25+ years of drinking beer and not committing to any sort of actual stretching/exercise routine for any period of time made that go away. I had a gym membership I never used.

My wife kept wanting a Peloton but I said we didn't have room. Well, we made room and last spring bought one. It's completely changed my relationship with fitness. And it offers basically everything I need for golf workouts too. 

Note: you don't need to buy their expensive Bike/Tread/Row to use it. They offer an app that is reasonably priced on a monthly basis (much less than a gym membership). You can take their classes on a different machine if you have one or can get one cheaper. It won't have the same access to metrics that you get with their equipment, but it's a LOT less expensive. Or you can just take their other non-cardio classes and ignore the ones that require cardio equipment. Obviously you're just asking about strength and stretching, so you wouldn't need to explore the cardio aspect if you don't want to. 

I always had three problems with the gym:

1. It was boring as hell. There's nothing more soul-crushing than getting on a piece cardio equipment and mindlessly doing it either watching the vapid closed-captioned TVs they have hanging or listening to your own music. It's not engaging at all. 
  2. I had no clue what I was doing. When it came to strength/etc, I would pick random machines and do some lifting, but there was no structure to it or organization.
  3. It required more of a time commitment b/c I had to get into workout clothes, drive over to the gym, do a full workout, drive home, shower, etc... 

So I just never went, even though the gym was 0.9 mi away from my front door. 

All of those issues can be fixed by taking structured cardio classes, or working with a personal trainer, or doing a program like CrossFit. But that not only can get expensive, but means that your workouts need to fit the gym's schedule, not your own. But at least scheduled workouts are harder to skip... 

But for me Peloton has fixed all the problems.

First, the workouts are engaging. I have the Bike so I'll pick classes with music and instructors I like, and they're basically building in the programming for you, regarding cadence and resistance to vary what you're being asked to do. Some of them are very entertaining--there are times where they're so entertaining that it's literally distracting you from how hard you're working. 

Second, having them being programmed means you take all the guesswork out of it. There are MULTIPLE programs and options for strength where you build in all the muscle groups over the course of a week such that you're getting a well-rounded workout. You never have to think about "what should I be doing"--you just follow along with the instructor. The same is true for stretching--instead of having to decide what stretches you're doing, you just follow along. So if you have difficulty creating your own regimen, it's not a problem. It's done for you. 

Third, you can do things in bite-sized chunks. An hour of working out at the gym means at least 90 minutes of uninterrupted schedule time. Even though I work from home, that can sometimes not be easy. But with Peloton, I can do a 30 minute ride, go back to working on my laptop. A little later in the day, do a 20 minute strength workout, then go back to working on my laptop. Later on, do a 10 minute full body stretch to recover from the effort. It takes effectively zero extra time because I don't have to drive anywhere, just need to do it, and I don't have to have a single "block" of time available to get in a full day's workout. 

They have the full gamut of options:

• Cardio: Obviously cycling/treadmill/rower, which require equipment. But they also have non-equipment cardio classes including shadowboxing, and they have outdoor cycling, outdoor walks and runs, if that's more your thing. 
  • Strength: Mostly dumbbell work, but they have bodyweight-only options. Specific to golf, they offer a ton of core classes which are important. If you're into pilates or barre, those are available too. As mentioned, there are multiple strength "programs" that take the guesswork out of scheduling a full body's workout across the week with appropriate rest time for each muscle group. 
  • Stretching: They have tons of stretching content. Do one of their 10-minute full body stretches every day, and I think you'll get everything you need to limber up for golf. 
  • Yoga: Would also be good for mobility and golf. 

I know this sounds like a Peloton commercial, but I only bring it up because I had TERRIBLE motivation and habits related to exercise, and this has been the game-changer that gets me where I needed to be. And I can do it all without leaving the house. 

• Like 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

On 7/10/2023 at 9:38 AM, RmoorePE said:

In the evenings I follow along a yoga instructor on youtube before bed. Every routine has rotational parts, and that is nice for golf.

Awesome! Would you be able to share a few of those yoga videos?  Would like to implement that in my night routine. Thanks!