2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

New Graphite Design VF shafts - 2023 3M Open

GolfWRX_Spotted

Just now, belh22 said:

And flex plays similar?  I know GD shafts typically feel a little soft to flex for a lot. 

Typical GD shaft in that it does play about half a flex softer. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

On 11/17/2023 at 3:13 PM, Trippels said:

Given the colour scheme and name I suppose it's no surprise they got Tiger's intrigue

Looking at the face, I assume J Day is holding some kind of stock Bridgestone driver set up? Probably for the advert?

**WITB**

Titleist TSR2 10*, D1, 44.5'' - Ventus Red 6x

Titleist TS2 15*, D1, 42'' - Kai'li Blue Prototype 80TX

Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 18*, A1, 40.25'' - Atmos TS Blue 8X

Titleist T150 4i - AMT Tour White X100 Black Onyx

Titleist 620CB 5-PW - DGX100 120

Titleist SM9 Raw - 52F, 56F, 60D - AMT Tour White S300

Toulon San Diego (2022), 32'', Golf Pride Pro Only Cord Green Star

TP5x

Just now, GSPeltSlinger said:

@phizzy30 did you say what shaft flex and weight you use with your VF? Your TR Black is 7X correct? Thanks.

VF-7TX and TR Black 7X. 

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

My final testing at the range earlier just reconfirmed my previous findings.

VF = Slightly higher launch and spin.  Mid-low launch/low spin.  Softer handle, ultra smooth feel.  Easier to turn the ball over but can also hit a fade.  Wider dispersion pattern.  Can feel slight bend/unloading sensation under the handle other wise pretty linear.  Average to slightly above average ball speeds.

TR Black = True low launch/spin.  Very stiff handle and linear yet still has some feel to it.  Not harsh at all.  Extremely stable and doesn't curve much either way.  Tight dispersion pattern.  Absolutely no bend/unloading sensation whatsoever.  Average ball speeds. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

VF = Slightly higher launch and spin.  Mid-low launch/low spin.  Softer handle, ultra smooth feel.  Easier to turn the ball over but can also hit a fade.  Wider dispersion pattern.  Can feel slight bend/unloading sensation under the handle other wise pretty linear.  Average to slightly above average ball speeds.

TR Black = True low launch/spin.  Very stiff handle and linear yet still has some feel to it.  Not harsh at all.  Extremely stable and doesn't curve much either way.  Tight dispersion pattern.  Absolutely no bend/unloading sensation whatsoever.  Average ball speeds. 

Does the VF compare to a Ventus Blue TR? Or does is sit in between the two? 

Titleist TSR 3 8.0* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD VF 6TX
Taylormade Stealth + 13.5* w/ Ventus TR Blue 7X

Taylormade Stealth + 18* w/ Ventus TR Blue 8X OR Titleist T200U 23' 17* w/ Ventus Black HB 9TX
Titleist T150 23' 4 iron w/ DG TI X100

Titleist T150 23' 5 iron w/ DG TI X100

Titleist T100 23' 6-PW w/ DG TI X100
Titleist SM10  50* F Grind  w/ DG TI X100

Titleist SM10 54* S Grind w/ DG TI X100

Titleist SM10 58* T Grind w/ DG TI S400
Titleist Phantom X 21' 5.5 

Just now, mikehill06 said:

Does the VF compare to a Ventus Blue TR? Or does is sit in between the two? 

Sits between the TR Black and TR Blue, IMO. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

What shaft has given you the best ball speeds up to now? Something like the TB?

**WITB**

TP5x

3 hours ago, jaffabell said:

What shaft has given you the best ball speeds up to now? Something like the TB?

1K Pro White.  I saw 3-4 mph increase with my stock swing.   

14 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Once again Velocore trumps all in the dispersion department.  Is there really anything out there that can even compare dispersion wise? 

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Mizuno STZ Max 230 12.0 Project X Hzrdus Black RDX 70 6.5

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cleveland RTX Full Face 2 58/8 DG Spinner

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

59 minutes ago, Lemonde said:

Once again Velocore trumps all in the dispersion department.  Is there really anything out there that can even compare dispersion wise? 

For me a hazardous smoke green 60tx has better dispersion ( starts on intended line and holds it better) than the ventus black 6x.  The ventus is a bit longer I think due to getting less spin with that setup. 

4 hours ago, Lemonde said:

My swing just meshes really well with the OG/TR Black.  TR Red was also a match for 3 metal but I chose to go with the Diamana GT because numbers were virtually identical but it was smoother.  Ironically, the EI profile between the two are very similar.  However, I don't get along with the OG/TR Blue.  In my case, despite Velocore, I get along with shafts that have stiff handles.  VF is almost the perfect match, but the handle is still too soft for my liking. 

So, after seeing that Tiger was spotted with the new TM driver with this new Tour AD VF shaft in it, I started to pay a little more attention to it.

I have a Fuji Ventus Black Velocore 6 S that I have in my Stealth driver, and also in my Srixon ZX5LS driver.  Both shafts are tipped 1/2 inch.  They perform well, but I would like to try something that would perform the same, yet be a bit smoother than the Ventus Black Vel.  

I originally liked the GD Tour AD XC shafts.  I had an XC 6 X (untipped) in my SIM to start.  I have hit it in my Stealth and it worked very similar to the Velocore 6 S.  I found this a bit strange, since the XC has a softer butt section, and is a bit "tip heavy" compared to the Ventus Black.  My numbers were very similar to each other comparing the Ventus Black 6S (1/2" tipped) and the Tour AD XC 6 (untipped).  Yardage was within a yard or two max, and spin was within 500rpm of each other when compared.

A long way to get to the questions, but how does the Tour AD VF shaft compare to the Ventus Black Vel. shaft (non TR), and also the Tour AD XC shaft?  Is the VR also a bit "tip heavy"?  Does this Tour AD VF shaft also seem to play/feel about a 1/2 a flex softer than the posted flex?  (I shouldn't be using an X flex any more at 53 years of age, but the X flex in a Graphite Design seems to play/feel softer.)

1 hour ago, WSUWarriorPGAPro said:

So, after seeing that Tiger was spotted with the new TM driver with this new Tour AD VF shaft in it, I started to pay a little more attention to it.

I have a Fuji Ventus Black Velocore 6 S that I have in my Stealth driver, and also in my Srixon ZX5LS driver.  Both shafts are tipped 1/2 inch.  They perform well, but I would like to try something that would perform the same, yet be a bit smoother than the Ventus Black Vel.  

I originally liked the GD Tour AD XC shafts.  I had an XC 6 X (untipped) in my SIM to start.  I have hit it in my Stealth and it worked very similar to the Velocore 6 S.  I found this a bit strange, since the XC has a softer butt section, and is a bit "tip heavy" compared to the Ventus Black.  My numbers were very similar to each other comparing the Ventus Black 6S (1/2" tipped) and the Tour AD XC 6 (untipped).  Yardage was within a yard or two max, and spin was within 500rpm of each other when compared.

A long way to get to the questions, but how does the Tour AD VF shaft compare to the Ventus Black Vel. shaft (non TR), and also the Tour AD XC shaft?  Is the VR also a bit "tip heavy"?  Does this Tour AD VF shaft also seem to play/feel about a 1/2 a flex softer than the posted flex?  (I shouldn't be using an X flex any more at 53 years of age, but the X flex in a Graphite Design seems to play/feel softer.)

Did you read this thread at all? @phizzy30 has hit all 3 of those and posted his thoughts

• Haha 3

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

6 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

My swing just meshes really well with the OG/TR Black.  TR Red was also a match for 3 metal but I chose to go with the Diamana GT because numbers were virtually identical but it was smoother.  Ironically, the EI profile between the two are very similar.  However, I don't get along with the OG/TR Blue.  In my case, despite Velocore, I get along with shafts that have stiff handles.  VF is almost the perfect match, but the handle is still too soft for my liking. 

Shoot!  Soon as you said 'handle too soft for me" I knew it may not be for me either. Hence why I'm in TR Red and liked ZF/GT so much.  I will hold out of course until I try it, but don't like hearing that.  OG Black doesn't have the feel I like, and I've yet to try TR Black due to not jiving with first gen

Edited by Avidswampthing66

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

Just now, Avidswampthing66 said:

Shoot!  Soon as you said 'handle too soft for me" I knew it may not be for me either. Hence why I'm in TR Red and liked ZF/GT so much.  I will hold out of course until I try it, but don't like hearing that.  OG Black doesn't have the feel I like, and I've yet to try TR Black due to not jiving with first gen

VF is a typical white board with slightly higher launch, and super smooth, IMO.  I wasn't a huge fan of the OG Black in terms of feel, but the numbers and dispersion were outstanding so I stuck with it for just over a year.  Think of the TR Black as the OG Black but with much better feel.  Dare I say that the TR Black feels........smooth.........  The only reason you should switch from the TR Red to TR Black is if you absolutely need lower launch and spin.  Dispersion can go either way.   

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

VF is a typical white board with slightly higher launch, and super smooth, IMO.  I wasn't a huge fan of the OG Black in terms of feel, but the numbers and dispersion were outstanding so I stuck with it for just over a year.  Think of the TR Black as the OG Black but with much better feel.  Dare I say that the TR Black feels........smooth.........  The only reason you should switch from the TR Red to TR Black is if you absolutely need lower launch and spin.  Dispersion can go either way.   

I fear TR Black paired with TD would be too low. Judging by VF's e.i curve, you can see the butt soften vs TR Black and the general curve looks slightly more friendly overall (in terms of stiffness) The handle is still plenty firm compared to say TR Blue.  Sometimes TR Red flys up on me so, I'm scouring the ole BST untilI find the right specs 🤙

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

9 hours ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

I fear TR Black paired with TD would be too low. Judging by VF's e.i curve, you can see the butt soften vs TR Black and the general curve looks slightly more friendly overall (in terms of stiffness) The handle is still plenty firm compared to say TR Blue.  Sometimes TR Red flys up on me so, I'm scouring the ole BST untilI find the right specs 🤙

Good point.  VF is definitely more user friendly compared to the TR Black.  VF works for smooth and aggressive swings which is nice.  Worth testing at the very least if you can get your hands on one. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Good point.  VF is definitely more user friendly compared to the TR Black.  VF works for smooth and aggressive swings which is nice.  Worth testing at the very least if you can get your hands on one. 

This thread will blow up next week when the big cat has it in play! Expect a million more questions on your experiences with it 😅

• Haha 4

**WITB**

TP5x

Just now, jaffabell said:

This thread will blow up next week when the big cat has it in play! Expect a million more questions on your experiences with it 😅

Yes, I've been anticipating your exact potential scenario, lol.  My PM box might be flooded with messages.  I'm still on fence about putting my VF up on BST although atm as the TR Black is too good in the dispersion department. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Yes, I've been anticipating your exact potential scenario, lol.  My PM box might be flooded with messages.  I'm still on fence about putting my VF up on BST although atm as the TR Black is too good in the dispersion department. 

What playing length do you have it at? I'm guessing the goat will go 6x or 6tx.

Did JT go with 6x? 

**WITB**

TP5x

Just now, jaffabell said:

What playing length do you have it at? I'm guessing the goat will go 6x or 6tx.

Did JT go with 6x? 

45 inches playing length.  I think JT went with 6TX. 

11 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

45 inches playing length.  I think JT went with 6TX. 

Im assuming you lift then 😅🦾

• Haha 2

**WITB**

TP5x

2 hours ago, Gtyler14 said:

VF 5x @ 45.625 according to the article I read a while back and just went back to double check

That's surprising.  He usually plays 60 gram shafts, although that explains why his ball speed jumped from the ZF. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

That's surprising.  He usually plays 60 gram shafts, although that explains why his ball speed jumped from the ZF. 

Yeah I was shocked he dropped to a 50g weight class but I just went and looked and it’s 59g compared to the 6x being 67 so maybe that’s why.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Gtyler14 said:

Yeah I was shocked he dropped to a 50g weight class but I just went and looked and it’s 59g compared to the 6x being 67 so maybe that’s why.

He went longer in length than what he usually plays (44.875" to 46.625"), so the cut length weights were probably pretty similar.

• Like 1