2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

2024 New Taylormade P-790 vs the last release model

BloodSweatandBeers

Club Champion vs prior ver....NO DIFFERENCE!.... 6 irons

image.jpeg.84889e7729d884ba2b5f8f0e8151693e.jpeg

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 9* and 10.5*,  Ventus Blue+ 5x / Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0317ST, Xtreme Dark, 6 - GW, KBS CTaper LE Black 125 S+

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

I started playing the '21 P790 regularly several weeks ago. Really phenomenal irons, and I've played a bunch over the past few years. Maybe the '23 will be "better", maybe not, but I would think no real need for an upgrade from the '21. But if they carry on the P790 legacy with incremental improvements, this will be another hit.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 and 5 Woods, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

27 minutes ago, JDIL said:

Wait, your last post said it spins less than the last version. This one shows less rollout on slightly higher chs and consistent spin. Are you actively trying to get people not to buy this club? Lol

Different groups testing these irons and these are the results....not mine.

DRIVERS:  BLACK OPS TOUR 9* and 10.5*,  Ventus Blue+ 5x / Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

Nearly identical numbers with the edge going to the previous model in distance. This is why don't understand why people actually think because it's a newer model your going to see some kind of big improvement when it's more cosmetics. They are nice but is it worth the upgrade? 

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

New review from Michael Newton golf...P790, 7 irons vs 2021 P790

Higher club speed = more ball speed and low spin = more distance

No noticeable difference in feel or sound

image.jpeg.e92387ae83aef61b5ce211d299eac882.jpeg

Edited by BirdieBob

3 hours ago, BirdieBob said:

New review from Michael Newton golf...P790, 7 irons vs 2021 P790

Higher club speed = more ball speed and low spin = more distance

No noticeable difference in feel or sound

image.jpeg.e92387ae83aef61b5ce211d299eac882.jpeg

I see higher smash factor, higher launch and slightly lower spin, peak height is higher landing angle, is higher.  Plus with the individual CGI story, more than one club needs to be tested (like TXG)

On 8/8/2023 at 2:38 PM, Tiptx1122 said:

Nearly identical numbers with the edge going to the previous model in distance. This is why don't understand why people actually think because it's a newer model your going to see some kind of big improvement when it's more cosmetics. They are nice but is it worth the upgrade? 

If it feels better when hit yes

1 hour ago, indianagolf2 said:

If it feels better when hit yes

If it’s just better feel why not try PXG, or Mizuno’s

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

IMG_1666.jpeg.532575a842370c6152897c7e2e3bf3ad.jpeg

Previous P770/90 versions had a combination of two body styles - a solid body from 8i-PW, and a speed slot from 3/4-7i. With the new version , every club has an optimized structure. This approach  is unique to the golf world. No other iron set has, or has ever had,  an individually optimized internal structure in the way this one does.

The maker generally uses this internal structure to differentiate between models. Here, that’s been thrown out. Each club is an optimized model, which leaves little reason to even have multiple models (since there can’t be two different “optimals”).

As striking as they are on the outside, it’s what’s inside that counts.

That’s TM’s advert copy, and it’s unnecessarily subtle IMO. As has been correctly pointed out, the new model looks externally close to identical to the 2021. What they’re saying is that the external appearance (with the exception of the sole) is virtually irrelevant to performance, and they can radically change an individual club’s behavior and make it look like whatever they want.

There will be comparisons between this and the prior version, and they will compare 7 irons. Since virtually every iron set on the market is optimized for its 7 iron, that they are similar shouldn’t be surprising. What matters here is the rest of the set.

While TM may not make the “best” of every club on the market, in terms of innovation, they’re the only one who appear to be willing or able to do anything significant at all. 

• Like 4

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

You're right when it comes to innovation they do push the envelope as they are not afraid to try new things. I'm still very curious as why hasn't anyone else gone with the carbon face driver as I know Callaway has tried in the past but what about the BRNR Mini's why haven't they gone to carbon. Now as far as each iron totally different on the inside I do think thats a good marketing tool that will definitely help sales as that's the other thing TM is really good at.

• Like 1

On 8/10/2023 at 8:01 AM, Tiptx1122 said:

You're right when it comes to innovation they do push the envelope as they are not afraid to try new things. I'm still very curious as why hasn't anyone else gone with the carbon face driver as I know Callaway has tried in the past but what about the BRNR Mini's why haven't they gone to carbon. Now as far as each iron totally different on the inside I do think thats a good marketing tool that will definitely help sales as that's the other thing TM is really good at.

Reliability? I prefer a titanium face anyways 

yes I still game my OG stealth plus but once it breaks or if TM comes out with something new that’s not carbon I’ll ditch it 

On 8/8/2023 at 11:23 AM, JDIL said:

Wait, your last post said it spins less than the last version. This one shows less rollout on slightly higher chs and consistent spin. Are you actively trying to get people not to buy this club? Lol

HAHA! I just got fitted for the new P790. I noticed a slight uptick in spin. I've worn out the face in my p790 4iron so im hoping the extra spin in the fitting 6 iron translates to the new 4 iron 🤞... but other than that, i didn't notice much of anything else. Seemed like the quality p790 i've come to know and love

4 hours ago, Pleasedwith3putts said:

The TXG review flagged that the gapping has increased as long irons go further and short irons go shorter than previous gens. Ian couldn't get much out of the PW.

This was always the design of the P790s even from last year given the gapping is the same and the speed pocket is only on the 4-7i.

These clubs are not meant for the scratch type golfer like Ian who strikes the ball well across their bag.  This is for players who still want some feel and precision in their short irons, but want more ball speed and forgiveness in their mid to long irons because their ball striking is less consistent with those clubs.

• Like 1

Just getting around to watching True Spec's video, across the line they said the new one is better. 10mm toe strikes didn't lose any ball speed for the new one, while the current one lost 3mph of ball speed. More ball speed, slightly more spin, 4 yards more carry and 5 yards less roll out. Just about every video has said there is improvement with the new one. Not revolutionary, but what iron is between versions.

Screenshot 2023-08-11 150437.png

On 8/11/2023 at 9:07 PM, LBB said:

This was always the design of the P790s even from last year given the gapping is the same and the speed pocket is only on the 4-7i.

These clubs are not meant for the scratch type golfer like Ian who strikes the ball well across their bag.  This is for players who still want some feel and precision in their short irons, but want more ball speed and forgiveness in their mid to long irons because their ball striking is less consistent with those clubs.

Worth watching the video for the context. They were basically comparing Ians swing speed and distance with the different clubs vs tour average. Whilst he was at or above tour average ss for all clubs and was longer for mid and long irons, he was actually way short of tour average distance with the short irons despite swing speed above tour average. Precisely what you would NOT expect from these clubs.

On 8/13/2023 at 12:49 AM, Pleasedwith3putts said:

Worth watching the video for the context. They were basically comparing Ians swing speed and distance with the different clubs vs tour average. Whilst he was at or above tour average ss for all clubs and was longer for mid and long irons, he was actually way short of tour average distance with the short irons despite swing speed above tour average. Precisely what you would NOT expect from these clubs.

I did watch the video, but watched it again.  What caught my attention the second time though was the distances for everything Ian hit was low.  Most other reviewers of the new P790s at his swing speed are carrying the 7i they tested closer to 190, if not some over 200 yards for club head speed 92-94 mph rather than what Ian averaged at 179.  And I would expect a P790 4i from him to carry closer to 230+.

If this new set of P790s is really 131 PW, 179 7i, and 214 4i at his swing speeds, then all the distances are down across the board.  In 2021, Matt tested the P790s, but they had PW, 8i, 6i instead.  At similar club head speeds he averaged 140 PW, 170 8i, and 205 6i.  So you could infer that the 7i would have carried about 188.

So Ian in is saying that based on his testing, the 48 yard gap between PW and is too big, but in 2021, you could infer that Matt had the exact same 48y gap between PW and 7i.  16 yard gapping is basically what this type of club is going for.  It's not meant to be the pro 10-12 yard gapping you see on something like a P7MC where the lofts are much tighter and the mid/long irons don't have as much pop in the face (such as the speed pocket) to add ball speed and forgiveness.

If Ian was hitting the 7i 188 carry, and the PW 131 carry, then yes, I could get on board that 57 yards gap between 4 clubs, or closer to 19 yards per club would be too much.

• Like 1

I game the 21' P790s and absolutely love them. Its interesting to see these reviews and tests...certainly seems to be an incremental upgrade, but doesn't scream "go spend a ton of money to upgrade" to me just yet. Those in the market for these irons should definitely give the '21s a go -- could get a great deal there.

• Like 1

image.jpeg.dde38fb510e9dfb2c590454bef2e13cd.jpeg

Edited by BirdieBob
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, BHA17 said:

I game the 21' P790s and absolutely love them. Its interesting to see these reviews and tests...certainly seems to be an incremental upgrade, but doesn't scream "go spend a ton of money to upgrade" to me just yet. Those in the market for these irons should definitely give the '21s a go -- could get a great deal there.

4th gen clubs will likely not have much to offer, but it's going to be hard to see incremental differences, if any, with the type of guys that are typically reviewing these clubs.

These clubs are meant for guys with lower swing speeds, and who miss the center of the face.  That's where these need to be tested...and off grass...to see what the overall dispersion pattern is going to be like over the course of 20 shots, with some thin, heavy, toe, heel, and on the sweet spot.

Same with game improvement irons.  There is no point having a scratch golfer test them and give you LM numbers.  You want the 25 handicap to test them to see how much better their mishits are compared to their current set, or another set they are considering. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, LBB said:

4th gen clubs will likely not have much to offer, but it's going to be hard to see incremental differences, if any, with the type of guys that are typically reviewing these clubs.

These clubs are meant for guys with lower swing speeds, and who miss the center of the face.  That's where these need to be tested...and off grass...to see what the overall dispersion pattern is going to be like over the course of 20 shots, with some thin, heavy, toe, heel, and on the sweet spot.

Same with game improvement irons.  There is no point having a scratch golfer test them and give you LM numbers.  You want the 25 handicap to test them to see how much better their mishits are compared to their current set, or another set they are considering. 

This is exactly why when buying new clubs go out and test them for yourself and get fitted

• Like 1