2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ร—

Tigerrrrrrrrr!!!!! ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

bscinstnct

20 minutes ago, JetSpeed79 said:

3. Is he a bit of a novelty/nostalgia act at this point? Golfโ€™s version of Mick Jagger still singing Start Me Up at 70 something? Yes, maybe. But thereโ€™s still a full crowd paying to see it.ย 

Iโ€™m of the feeling that seeing a band like the Rolling Stones, The Eagles etc as 70+ yo men is the equivalent of seeing a tribute band. And honestly a bit pathetic. But thatโ€™s just me โ˜บ๏ธ

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Iโ€™m of the feeling that seeing a band like the Rolling Stones, The Eagles etc as 70+ yo men is the equivalent of seeing a tribute band. And honestly a bit pathetic. But thatโ€™s just me โ˜บ๏ธ

I heard Live Nation gave Mick special exemption status through 2055.ย 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Golfnutgalen said:

ย 

It depends on your definition of GOAT. Tiger Woods from 1996-2009 is the best player we have ever seen. As a reminder he won 30% of his starts as a pro. He also won 30% of his majors through the 2008 US Open.ย 

ย 

Age 33 Tiger had already won 71 times (out of 239 starts). Jack was at 52/265 (20%) at that age.

ย 

And people have the audacity to say that's a short period. That's 13 years the vast majority which was spent at the top of the world rankings.

ย 

And if you care more about career numbers than you can throw in what he accomplished through 2013. 79/295 wins (27%) in a 17 year career while playing a super limited schedule. Jack's prime lasted until about 1980; he had won 70/380 events (18%) including 17 majors in those 19 years as a pro.

------

Even looking at Tiger's numbers now age 48 he has won a staggering 15/88 majors (17%) as a professional. He was 15/75 (20%) up to his 2019 Masters win. Jack's numbers only as a pro through age 48 were 18/107 (17%). He was 18/97 (19%) up to the 1986 Masters win.ย 

The average golf fan doesn't really care about big stats, all they really care about the bottom line of numbers... 15 majors and Jack has 18.

ย 

Jack's record is likely safe forever now. It is unbreakable.

Edited by ChrisL52188
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, ChrisL52188 said:

Jack's record is likely safe forever now. Probably unbreakable.

ย 

Anyone getting to double digits is pretty unlikely, really. Only three in history have even done that.ย 

• Like 3

Titleist TSR3 8ยฐ LA GOLF DJย 

Titleist TS2 18ยฐ Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21ยฐ Diamana D+ย 

Titleist TSi2 24ยฐ Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB LA GOLF L

Vokey 50.8ยฐF, 56.14ยฐF, 60.04ยฐT LA GOLF WV

Scotty Cameron Newport LA GOLF P

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, ChrisL52188 said:

The average golf fan doesn't really care about big stats, all they really care about the bottom line of numbers... 15 majors and Jack has 18.

ย 

Jack's record is likely safe forever now. It is unbreakable.

ย 

The โ€œaverage golf fanโ€ see TW like

ย 

ย 

IMG_4431.jpeg
ย 

ย 

๐Ÿคฃ

ย 

Edited by bscinstnct

Posted (edited)

Oh man, amazing

ย 

Tiger as much the needle now as ever.Just look at this thread ; )

ย 

And hereโ€™s to many years of lifelong major exemptions along with others.ย 

ย 

golf gods willingย 5 years from now the Tigerrrrrr! ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ƒ thread will be 5.000 pagesย 

ย 

and the haters will still be ๐Ÿ˜ก

ย 

๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿปย 

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Oh man, amazing

ย 

Tiger as much the needle now as ever.Just look at this thread ; )

ย 

And hereโ€™s to many years of lifelong major exemptions along with others.ย 

ย 

golf gods willingย 5 years from now the Tigerrrrrr! ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ƒ thread will be 5.000 pagesย 

ย 

and the haters will still be ๐Ÿ˜ก

ย 

๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿปย 

If heโ€™s still playing in 5 years itโ€™s either because they allowed carts on tour ๐Ÿคข ๐Ÿคฎ or he went full bionic man and has a new leg.ย 

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15ยฐ w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Zย 18ยฐ w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50ยฐ/54ยฐ/58ยฐ w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

2 minutes ago, aenemated said:

ย 

Anyone getting to double digits is pretty unlikely, really. Only three in history have even done that.ย 

ย 

This is where I think Nicklaus made a mistake when he said something along the lines of "the only fair way to compare eras is by looking at the major championships won". The reason is the older generation didn't play anywhere near as many of them.

ย 

Harry Vardon won 7/24 Majors by age 43. He won in 1914 and the next 5 years of events were cancelled by WW1. Obviously the PGA and Masters were not a thing back then.ย 

ย 

Hagen only played in 40 majors up to age 40 and was still able to win 11. Jones played in 15 pro majors and won 7, though obviously he retired early.ย 

ย 

Hogan only played in 33 majors up to his age 40 season. He missed out on 10 US majors because of the war alone and only played the British once to say nothing of his super limited schedule post-accident.

--------------

ย 

For comparison Jack played in 84 majors by that age. Woods played in 76 even with all his injuries. Arnold Palmer only played in 48 and that was more than most at the time.ย 

2 hours ago, TiScape said:

I watched their concert a couple of weeks ago from Met Life Stadium. 80 y-o Mick actually moved well, and his voice was kind of OK but not as good as it used to be. But Keith and Woody were very much showing their age. Took them a while to get going but even that was far off their best. ย 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dekez said:

I think it's because PGA Tour TV ratings are down. ย And Tiger brings ratings whether he plays well or not.

ย 

But he literally chooses not to play. It's not like he asked to play in events this season and they denied him. They could easily throw him Webb's or anyone else's slot in the Signature Events if for some reason his past winner status, etc., wouldn't already get him in. What tournaments has he been turned away from? He's chosen not to play more.ย 

ย 

There's just no need for a gesture like that right now.ย 

ย 

12 hours ago, noblesin said:

Why canโ€™t you guys just enjoy watching him still play? The problem is with you guys projecting all these expectations on him based on his past. Who cares how he performed? Itโ€™s still a joy watching the GOAT show up and play.

ย 

The issue is with your expectations not him.. haha. Just enjoy the moment. Heโ€™s not the same Tiger and never will be but who cares. Heโ€™s not meant to be.

ย 

No one is forcing you to watch him. I personally still get excited to see him on the screen irregardless of the outcome. Thereโ€™ll be a day & soon when he wonโ€™t even be there.

ย 

So, we are forced to watch him. I'm a fan, but fan or not there's no choice but to watch every shot and putt from him for any rounds he's in. Yes, he still hits amazing shots every round, but he mostly does not and there's a lot more disappointment than elation seeing him play like this.ย 

ย 

If he's not going to play enough to keep his game sharp it just turns into a farce where the singular best expectation is that he'll make the cut. He talks about only teeing it up if he can win but has admitted for over a decade now he needs tournament play to stay in tournament form and now he's too worried about injury to play more than two or three events a year outside of the Majors.ย 

ย 

There's very little to enjoy about what he's doing now. I guess just as there were Jordan fans who had to see every minute of him with The Wizards they'll be Tiger fans who want to tune in no matter what. Entirely on you. I don't like watching him flounder because he's too scared of injury to play a regular schedule.ย 

ย 

What he's doing now is pointless other than feeding his need for the crowd and getting a ratings boost for the networks. This isn't 2019 Masters Tiger who still played enough to be sharp and every tournament since his crash bears that out.ย 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, elwhippy said:

Tiger looks pained. He is sweating more than ever (may be a meds thing) and looks worn out on the putting green. Is he actually enjoying himself, or just ticking a box for the sponsors?ย 

ticking a box for the sponsors? If that was his concern I think heโ€™d play more than 4-5 events a year.ย 
ย 

Really? I donโ€™t think Tiger has ever played for sponsors. Let alone at age 48.

ย 

he really believes he can win another major, otherwise he obviously would have rode off into the sunset a long time ago.ย 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Golfnutgalen said:

ย 

This is where I think Nicklaus made a mistake when he said something along the lines of "the only fair way to compare eras is by looking at the major championships won". The reason is the older generation didn't play anywhere near as many of them.

ย 

Harry Vardon won 7/24 Majors by age 43. He won in 1914 and the next 5 years of events were cancelled by WW1. Obviously the PGA and Masters were not a thing back then.ย 

ย 

Hagen only played in 40 majors up to age 40 and was still able to win 11. Jones played in 15 pro majors and won 7, though obviously he retired early.ย 

ย 

Hogan only played in 33 majors up to his age 40 season. He missed out on 10 US majors because of the war alone and only played the British once to say nothing of his super limited schedule post-accident.

--------------

ย 

For comparison Jack played in 84 majors by that age. Woods played in 76 even with all his injuries. Arnold Palmer only played in 48 and that was more than most at the time.ย 

ย 

Eras will still always be compared based on the big trophies. Most in the Bird/Magic/Jordan and before era went all the way through college before hitting the pros. Now guys might do two years at most with some able to go straight in from HS and all of them having trainers & nutritionists to keep them going as long as possible. Guys like Brady were an impossibility in the Namath or even Aikmen era.ย 

ย 

Times change, things improve, advances provide advantage, but we still compare what the best do against their peers and how they stack up to those who came before.ย 

ย 

I agree that's imperfect but it's not the only thing that weighs into the discussion and it's all open to interpretation. There's plenty of rational weight for both sides in the Nicklaus Woods, Jordan Kobe, Schumacher Hamilton, and many other G.O.A.T debates.ย 

33 minutes ago, PedronNiall said:

ย 

Eras will still always be compared based on the big trophies. Most in the Bird/Magic/Jordan and before era went all the way through college before hitting the pros. Now guys might do two years at most with some able to go straight in from HS and all of them having trainers & nutritionists to keep them going as long as possible. Guys like Brady were an impossibility in the Namath or even Aikmen era.ย 

ย 

Times change, things improve, advances provide advantage, but we still compare what the best do against their peers and how they stack up to those who came before.ย 

ย 

I agree that's imperfect but it's not the only thing that weighs into the discussion and it's all open to interpretation. There's plenty of rational weight for both sides in the Nicklaus Woods, Jordan Kobe, Schumacher Hamilton, and many other G.O.A.T debates.ย 

Senna was better than Schumacher or Hamilton in terms of impact but....I think Michael was the best of them all.

Edited by ChrisL52188

54 minutes ago, PedronNiall said:

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

I think I made a mistake there. I didn't mean the majors won isn't fair (though sure it could be better) I meant comparing totals can be misleading just because the older generations didn't have as many opportunities.ย 

ย 

This is super evident when you look at the great British Open players pre-1914.ย 

ย 

But still, Jack and Tiger still stand out. They both won significantly more than their contemporaries. I think Hogan is there as well from 1940 onwards, but unlike Tiger and Jack he didn't win straight out of the gate and his career was interrupted by a World War and a freak accident.ย 

ย 

But in terms of dominance Hogan is worthy of hanging with those two. Absolutely dominant on tour from 1940-1949 except for 2 war years and continued that extremely high level of play in the majors up until 1956 - 4 more runner ups after 1953!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Golfnutgalen said:

ย 

It depends on your definition of GOAT. Tiger Woods from 1996-2009 is the best player we have ever seen. As a reminder he won 30% of his starts as a pro. He also won 30% of his majors through the 2008 US Open.ย 

ย 

Age 33 Tiger had already won 71 times (out of 239 starts). Jack was at 52/265 (20%) at that age.

ย 

And people have the audacity to say that's a short period. That's 13 years the vast majority which was spent at the top of the world rankings.

ย 

And if you care more about career numbers than you can throw in what he accomplished through 2013. 79/295 wins (27%) in a 17 year career while playing a super limited schedule. Jack's prime lasted until about 1980; he had won 70/380 events (18%) including 17 majors in those 19 years as a pro.

------

Even looking at Tiger's numbers now age 48 he has won a staggering 15/88 majors (17%) as a professional. He was 15/75 (20%) up to his 2019 Masters win. Jack's numbers only as a pro through age 48 were 18/107 (17%). He was 18/97 (19%) up to the 1986 Masters win.ย 

Please donโ€™t use data in here ๐Ÿปย 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The debate over who is the GOAT just goes round and round doesn't it? And it does so for good reasons. IMO if there ever was going to be agreement on the who was the GOAT, there would first have to be agreement on what criteria should be used to determine who the GOAT is. That itself is unlikely because different view points tend to weigh success differently. Is it more important for example to have won a greater percentage early or to have sustained a longer career racking up more total wins or total majors and any number of other things.

ย 

The bottom line IMO is that the term GOAT is just the player someone admires the most. It would make the most sense in my book if we just used the phrase "one of the GOATs" and then we can all agree that both\all of the gentlemen who tend to enter these conversations rightly belongs in that category.ย  As for Jack and Tiger, they were both incredible players and each of them are one of the GOATs of golf and in the end isn't that really enough?

When they were a lot younger, I always thought Tiger would age a lot better than Phil because he was a fitness freak and Phil carried some excess weight. That was about as accurate as the Mayan calendar end of the world.

ย 

Nobody other than Tiger knows why he still does it, but my guess is because he's so driven by the major record that he will keep going as long as he still thinks he has a chance to win. Based on his comments after the US Open, he's starting to agree with the doubters.ย 

48 minutes ago, GolfTurkey said:

When they were a lot younger, I always thought Tiger would age a lot better than Phil because he was a fitness freak and Phil carried some excess weight. That was about as accurate as the Mayan calendar end of the world.

ย 

Nobody other than Tiger knows why he still does it, but my guess is because he's so driven by the major record that he will keep going as long as he still thinks he has a chance to win. Based on his comments after the US Open, he's starting to agree with the doubters.ย 

ย 

In many ways TW is no different than any top am or any 50 year old hack

ย 

Play better, improve, play the best youโ€™re capable of

ย 

Hes got the same enthusiasm for the game, itโ€™s that simple. When he does not, when he really doesnโ€™t believe he can improve, heโ€™ll hang it up.

ย 

But if this TGL indoor things happens Iโ€™ll look forward to TW in primetime!ย 
ย 

Im sure the haters will be thrilled to see TW on after dinner ๐Ÿคฃ

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

ย 

In many ways TW is no different than any top am or any 50 year old hack

ย 

Play better, improve, play the best youโ€™re capable of

ย 

Hes got the same enthusiasm for the game, itโ€™s that simple. When he does not, when he really doesnโ€™t believe he can improve, heโ€™ll hang it up.

ย 

But if this TGL indoor things happens Iโ€™ll look forward to TW in primetime!ย 
ย 

Im sure the haters will be thrilled to see TW on after dinner ๐Ÿคฃ

Other than the majors what pro golf am I looking forward to more than anything?ย  Tiger in a cart on the senior tour.ย  Would love to see him be competitive again.

22 hours ago, PedronNiall said:

ย 

ย 

ย 

Jordan so far over Kobe it ainโ€™t funny. Just sayinโ€™ ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿผโ€โ™‚๏ธ

3 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

ย 

That weight really doesn't matter... look at John Daly... Then again JD is a one of a kind.

Edited by ChrisL52188