2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Flexibility

zubby01

I was wondering if any of you all had any success stories related to golf stretching or fitness? I know for sure that a structured fitness and stretching routine would be great but…. At the end of the day, there is only so much time I can devote to golf. 
I’m 60 and distance and length are not an issue for me. I could certainly stand to lose some weight at a minimum. 
It’s kinda like speed drills - you do these routines for x amount of months and your ss will increase x amount. 
I just bought the books “fix your body fix your swing” and “the flexible golf swing”. 
I early extend a lot and have a lack of rotation at impact. Not sure if it a function of technique or physical limitations. I’ve got a herniated disk as well I’ve had for a few years too. 

Muscle Activation Technique helped me with my lower back pain and also improved my mobility.  One important thing that I learned is that many forced stretches are really bad as doing them often leads to increased range of motion without the necessary strength to support the range.  

There have been numerous studies which show the positive effects of stretching, balance training and resistance training . 
Just google the  national institute of health (NCI) . Although these studies were more general in their conclusions , it is only logical that a more flexible , stronger body with a better sense of balance will also benefit golfers specifically .

And a warning relative to speed drills . They should only be done after you have achieved a certain level of flexibility and strength 

Early extension and lack of rotation later in the swing can often be traced back to your posture at setup , which is directly affected by your conditioning 

Edited by golfarb1

16 hours ago, zubby01 said:

I was wondering if any of you all had any success stories related to golf stretching or fitness? I know for sure that a structured fitness and stretching routine would be great but…. At the end of the day, there is only so much time I can devote to golf. 
I’m 60 and distance and length are not an issue for me. I could certainly stand to lose some weight at a minimum. 
It’s kinda like speed drills - you do these routines for x amount of months and your ss will increase x amount. 
I just bought the books “fix your body fix your swing” and “the flexible golf swing”. 
I early extend a lot and have a lack of rotation at impact. Not sure if it a function of technique or physical limitations. I’ve got a herniated disk as well I’ve had for a few years too. 

https://fitforgolf.blog/app/

• Like 1

You have to compensate for injuries or risk more. The number one source for injuries is an old injury.

Sure, speed drills can increase speed, optimum sequencing improves the swing the most.

Too much stretching and yoga only reduces reduces speed.

At 60, exercise will extend your strength through a round and reduce potential injuries. There is a point beyond which exercise is not improving your swing, it’s keeping you stronger longer.

• Like 2

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

13 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

Sure, speed drills can increase speed, optimum sequencing improves the swing the most.

^This^. I might add, trust the agonist and antagonist (opposing pairs) of muscular function for optimum sequencing. A smooth steady acceleration of the club. 

One side stretches the other side contracts. When relaxed they go back to a state of rest quicker and more efficiently than you can do it by adding extraneous effort in the downswing. 

There is a proper balance between fitness and flexibility for golf. At one time I worked so hard on flexibility that I injured my back because I had increased my muscular range of motion PAST my spine's safe range of motion. I still stretch daily (only about 20 mins), but I keep it within the proper ranges. Strength of support muscles is far more important than range of motion, IMHO.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

14 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

You have to compensate for injuries or risk more. The number one source for injuries is an old injury.

At 60, exercise will extend your strength through a round and reduce potential injuries. There is a point beyond which exercise is not improving your swing, it’s keeping you stronger longer.

A good fitness program will vary based upon the individuals capability and should  consist of stretching , aerobics, resistance training and balance exercises .

Some of the yoga stretches are not only very difficult for most people to do , but can result in injuries . 
The main reason to practice a fitness program is not  to improve your golf game , but to improve your health. 
As you age past 60, you will naturally experience loss of muscle mass and an increased probability of falling due to diminished balance ability . 

I’m almost 50 and I’d been feeling a noticeable lack of strength in my swing. It wasn’t only distance but flexibility and, in my case, balance. This went on for three years until I hit the gym for the first time in my life. I spent years running so I’m mostly fit. But the very moment I started activating my upper body and my legs my golf swing resurrected.

My routine is pretty average and I take some extra time to stretch. I never thought hitting the gym would be so beneficial so quickly for my golf. Shame it doesn’t improve my short game. 

On 9/24/2023 at 8:13 PM, Soloman1 said:

?????

First I have ever hear that you can do too much of stretching and yoga and furthermore that the result would be a loss of speed.  Did you mean that too much of stretching and yoga at the expense of other fitness improvement could not result in maximal gains?

Moss

Chrome Soft X LS

Driver, 5 and 7 wood = Ping G425

Irons = Titleist AP2 716 in 4-PW

Wedges = Ping Glide 3.0 in 50, 54 and 58

Putter = Evnroll ER2

• 1 month later...
On 9/25/2023 at 4:05 PM, zubby01 said:

So I bit the bullet and went for a TPI assessment. I figured it would be a good idea to help me target what needs the most work

Did you find the TPI assessment was worth it for you?

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red (S)

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue (S)
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* - Project X U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW 1*flat  - FST 125 (S) -- auditioning Fujikura Axiom 125X

Ben Hogan Equalizer II 54* 1*flat - KBS Tour 120S

Ben Hogan Carnoustie 60* 1*flat  - KBS Tour 120S

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

May I suggest, do not think of exercising or a flexibility program as related to a golf commitment.  See it as part of your lifestyle, that's the only way to consistently do them over time, so you can be playing golf in your 70s and 80s.

I am saddened to share many of my childhood lifelong friends, for physical reasons, have given up most of their activities, including golf.  Some struggle walking up hills...others, because of sedentary lifestyles, and big bellies, struggle dealing with any form of exercise or flexibility.  The main reason though past 70, I am still playing the game at a reasonably high-level, I have been exercising in multiple forms since HS.  Golf is just one of the activities.

• TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

7 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

May I suggest, do not think of exercising or a flexibility program as related to a golf commitment.  See it as part of your lifestyle, that's the only way to consistently do them over time, so you can be playing golf in your 70s and 80s.

I am saddened to share many of my childhood lifelong friends, for physical reasons, have given up most of their activities, including golf.  Some struggle walking up hills...others, because of sedentary lifestyles, and big bellies, struggle dealing with any form of exercise or flexibility.  The main reason though past 70, I am still playing the game at a reasonably high-level, I have been exercising in multiple forms since HS.  Golf is just one of the activities.

You are so very, very right. Great advice. I turn 61 tomorrow, have a hernia, a herniated disc and a torn meniscus. I hit the gym but mainly lift weights. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, zubby01 said:

You are so very, very right. Great advice. I turn 61 tomorrow, have a hernia, a herniated disc and a torn meniscus. I hit the gym but mainly lift weights. 

I've had my share of problems and surgeries as a result of my earlier lunatic incountry activities.  None of it comes easy, not without pushing myself every damn day to not quit on myself.  As we age, it gets easier to not push ourselves.

If you haven't already, talk to a physical therapist to learn what you are capable of doing for Cardio.

• TSR2 9.25° Tensei 1k Pro Red 61S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S 113-SW.
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

On 11/17/2023 at 12:44 AM, jamiesd said:

get this book.  May be a bit out of date but its terrific

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Secrets-Instruction-Flexibility-Roger-Fredericks/dp/0977003957

Yeah. I have this book. 

The Flexible Golf Swing: A Cutting-Edge Guide to Improving Flexibility and Mastering Golf's True Fundamentals https://a.co/d/5NHu85J

more importantly, follow the protocols!  

• Like 1

On 11/16/2023 at 4:57 PM, Pepperturbo said:

A loud “Amen!” to this.  If you never hit another golf ball, ignoring mountains of data about the benefits of physical activity as we age would be a bad decision.

I’m 71, fit and still playing competitively.  I don’t know when the day will come when I can’t play golf anymore, much less why, but I’ve been working out longer than I’ve been playing golf, and I think I’ll be able to keep that up AFTER I can’t play anymore.  It’s as important to me as playing, and I view it as who I am, rather than just as something I do so I can play well.

And I’ll add this; IMO, for many if not most older golfers, mobility is a much more bigger issue than flexibility, and the benefits of mobility work will have a much greater impact on the ability to swing a golf club properly than simply stretching, even through a discipline like yoga.  That does NOT mean that doing yoga isn’t of tremendous benefit, both mentally and physically, but I just don’t think it has much to do with a fast, explosive movement like the golf swing.  

Developing a really well-designed weight training program that incorporates mobility work is, IMO, the best way for older guys to continue to play golf not only injury free, but also more or less pain free.  And the benefits go far, far beyond golf.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2023 at 2:56 PM, zubby01 said:

For me, yes I found it very beneficial. Unfortunately I’m not doing a very good job of working towards improvement in the range of motion areas I need. 

You can stretch 4-5x a week and gain most if not all the flexibility you need for your age for golf.  The routine doesn't have to be long or intense, however, you do need to do it properly to gain some range of motion in your joints.  I'd suggest by doing static stretching first, 30 seconds per muscle then work your way up to a minute per muscle.  Dynamic stretching which includes yoga, pilates, etc. can be added as well. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2