2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

2024 APEX CBs reviews

jsixman

On 10/16/2023 at 7:33 PM, jetro110 said:

Really liked hitting these, anybody combo with the Pro’s specifically at the 4 or 5 iron with the 455 face cup and how well do they gap?

I absolutely loved the combo 4/5 at 1* weak , and the blending was perfect IMO. If I order again in the right shaft I would get the exact same 4/5 Pro and either CB or MB in the 6-10

• Thanks 1

Welp built up my new cb’s. These things are beautiful! Really enjoying the feel. Love the top line. Didn’t hit too many irons as the course I played was super short but after tomorrows round I’ll have a better idea. They are def shorter than my old pros so May strengthen the lofts. 

IMG_0481.jpeg

Edited by mushkie11
  • Like 2

On 10/17/2023 at 10:49 AM, dodgyman said:

I agree, CBs do have less offset than Zx7s, but that's a whole different iron category. With Zx7s you get a bigger blade length and a much bigger topline so the offset there seems to make more sense. With the CBs I'm expecting something small and sleek; I'm contrasting Mizuno and the T100/T150s, and there it just seemed to be more pronounced. Again, not trying to be too negative on the CBs, I expect them to be popular and a lot of people to like them, but I do at least recommend seeing/trying them as to me the offset was off-putting.

Perceived offset is a good way of putting it.  If you look at the specs, yes there is less offset than ZX7.  It's the way Callaway shapes their irons from hosel transitioning to the head.  People also said the same about TCBs.  Each manufacturer has their own little vibe.  

Edited by Avidswampthing66
  • Like 1

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

2 hours ago, gokes said:

Does anyone know what the stock weight is supposed to be in these?

My set was supposed to come with the heavy weight s in it, but I checked and they are all 12g, which I think is standard.

Can’t speak to the 24 versions but xforged and 21 tcb had 22gram (heavy) - 17gr (standard) and 12 gr (light) as the offerings.

On 10/17/2023 at 12:28 PM, QuigleyDU said:

I have the 5-7 iron in the CB and 8-11 in the MB. To me, they launch high and are spinny. I think they look good but something off about the shape of these irons. I think it may be because the leading edge grind makes the leading edge look so straight. 

I went back to my apex mb 21 irons and these are sitting in a bag for now. 

Well dang.  I'm thinking Apex Pro in the 5, CB in the 6 & 7, and MB in 8-11.  But I'm already a high launch, high spin (bit of a scooper, I am) player, so that gives me a little more to consider.  

• Like 1

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

7 hours ago, Dan Drake said:

Well dang.  I'm thinking Apex Pro in the 5, CB in the 6 & 7, and MB in 8-11.  But I'm already a high launch, high spin (bit of a scooper, I am) player, so that gives me a little more to consider.  

I've been scoping out all the reviews and it seems the MB spin a few hundred rpms less than the CB.  This is anecdotal and all player dependent of course.  Mb, to CB, to Pro sounds fun and may be worth a little look especially if you strengthen the cb a degree or so.  I'm, also considering that combo and will test Wed.

• Like 1

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

16 hours ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

I've been scoping out all the reviews and it seems the MB spin a few hundred rpms less than the CB.  This is anecdotal and all player dependent of course.  Mb, to CB, to Pro sounds fun and may be worth a little look especially if you strengthen the cb a degree or so.  I'm, also considering that combo and will test Wed.

Let me know how it turns out please.  As for strengthening, I’m a little different in my gapping, so I’ll probably be weakening most of the irons to hit my target carry numbers.  Thank you!

• Like 1

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

7 hours ago, Dan Drake said:

Let me know how it turns out please.  As for strengthening, I’m a little different in my gapping, so I’ll probably be weakening most of the irons to hit my target carry numbers.  Thank you!

Will do!  I'm curious about the MB vs CB question

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

On 10/22/2023 at 6:30 PM, Avidswampthing66 said:

Will do!  I'm curious about the MB vs CB question

I don't have a direct comparison, but I have the MB21/Apex Pro blended at 7/8

The 8 carry is a solid 169 when struck well, although I have coaxed 176 out of it when perfectly flushed. 

The 7 is a little strong as it will easily carry 185 most of the time. This is compared to my traditional lofted Mizuno MMC which is a 180 club in calm conditions.  I choke down on it to maintain gapping and get that target 180 number. We have a hole that plays 175 into a slight breeze: just a touch off the full swing with the pro 7 choked down and I'm usually in a good spot. Same with the Pro 6: we have a hole here that is 185 normally and plays into a 2-4mph light breeze most days. I'll play that 6-iron choked down about an inch; otherwise it's flying 190+ even with the headwind and I've definitley flushed it and sent it over the back of the green, even going easy. The pro has some serious "boost" if struck well. A lot of decent players won't like that. 

I should just get them weakened a tad but I don't really mind choking down. It often gets me into a mental place of swinging easy or in baesball terms, using a two strike approach.  

Edited by RoyalMustang
  • Like 1

I like the leading edge stuff but i dont like this plate weighting stuff and the looks have been a downgrade the past few years imo. I have th 18 mb/xforged and rogue st pro.. those are the last things i thought look good but when i really think about it... i dont think callaway ever really made a ton of good looking irons lol just my opinion and im a callaway guy. My best rounds have been with all callaway in the bag.

5 hours ago, UnderPar18 said:

CB’s needed some complimenting. This will do 🚀

F1FBA856-06A3-4DD8-A65E-585F66DAD3BA.jpeg

How is that bad boy?

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix 

1 hour ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

I like the leading edge stuff but i dont like this plate weighting stuff and the looks have been a downgrade the past few years imo. I have th 18 mb/xforged and rogue st pro.. those are the last things i thought look good but when i really think about it... i dont think callaway ever really made a ton of good looking irons lol just my opinion and im a callaway guy. My best rounds have been with all callaway in the bag.

Definitely entitled to your opinion, but I would put these as the best looking iron Callaway has released since ‘13 X forged. The weight doesn’t look the best aesthetically for a purist, but then you look at PXG or other OEMs with weights and the Apex CB is aesthetically pleasing for what it is. Limited time with them so far but they have performed very well thus far. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again I do think this is Callaway’s best attempt of competing with T100’s.

• Like 3
:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

1 hour ago, craz-e said:

How is that bad boy?

Just got delivered today and unfortunately I didn't get to hit it. Will try and find some time tomorrow to hit some shots with it and see how I like it. Visually it looks fantastic at address and blends in really nicely with the CB's and Pro's.  

• Like 2
:taylormade-small: Qi10 LS Driver 10.5D (Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6x) 
:taylormade-small: Qi10 3 Fairway 15.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 75tx) 

Callaway   Apex UW 19.0D (Tensei AV Raw Blue 85tx)
:taylormade-small: P7MC/P770 Irons (KBS $-Taper 120s) (5-PW)/(4i) Lamkin Crossline Cord (All Metals / Irons)
 :taylormade-small:MG4 Wedges 50.09, 56.12, 60.08 (KBS $-Taper 120s)
:titleist:Scotty Cameron Champions Choice NP2 33.5" - Lamkin Deep Etched Cord

So if I order a set at - 1/2", will they change out the plate on back at the factory to get the SW right? I'm thinking of essentially doing a retro spec type build and order them 2* weak, making the 5 iron a 6 iron, 6 iron a 7 iron, etc. Really wanting to build a set with very little offset and figure that's probably my best bet. I know this will add a good bit of bounce though. 

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5° | Ventus TR Blue 6s

Taylormade BRNR Mini 13.5° | Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway Apex UW 17° | Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 75 6.5

Callaway XR Pro 20° | Tour AD DI 95x
Maltby TS1 IM 5-PW | Dynamic Gold S300
Cleveland RTX 6: 50° 56° 60° | KBS Tour Custom 120s Black 

L.A.B. DF 3 Counterbalance 37.5" | TPT Putter Shaft 

5 hours ago, coreyhr said:

So if I order a set at - 1/2", will they change out the plate on back at the factory to get the SW right? I'm thinking of essentially doing a retro spec type build and order them 2* weak, making the 5 iron a 6 iron, 6 iron a 7 iron, etc. Really wanting to build a set with very little offset and figure that's probably my best bet. I know this will add a good bit of bounce though. 

Cool idea!  They are designed as a fitting tool for the purpose of dialing in desired SW.  I would think yes, they will change the weight.  But, I would still make a call to home office before finalizing order.

• Like 1

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

10 hours ago, coreyhr said:

only if you request the SW, will they adjust. Otherwise you’re getting standard weight back plates. 

First round in the books with mine and I really like them. Could be the shaft also, but very consistent distances in the CB (have the Pro in 5 and 6, and they are forgiving for what it's worth...very bad long iron player). I like the feel, the look, leading edge relief, size, forgiveness, etc. 

• Like 4

TSR2 8* w/ AD VF 7x

TSR3 15* w/ 1K White 80x

TSR2 3h w/ Ventus Blue 8x

G425 4&5H w/ Ventus Blue 9x

T150 6-P w/ KBS Tour V X
RTX6 Tour Rack 50/54/58

Mezz Max CB w/ TPT

On 11/4/2023 at 12:45 PM, Jim53 said:

Clubs could arrrive today, but more likely Monday. Fast shipping 

Just got a text that mine came in yesterday, probably try to grab them today.

edit

just got back from playing 9.  I hate the driving range, hitting 80% balls had me worried I made a mistake but after taking them to the course I’m pretty happy.  I previously played the regular Apex21s. These aren’t as forgiving for sure but are super great feeling.  I loved the pro 4-6, probably should’ve gotten the CB 7 but the pro is just fine,  I felt like my ball flight was higher than expected but my distances were just as good as the apex21s. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TWGator said:

Just got a text that mine came in yesterday, probably try to grab them today.

edit

just got back from playing 9.  I hate the driving range, hitting 80% balls had me worried I made a mistake but after taking them to the course I’m pretty happy.  I previously played the regular Apex21s. These aren’t as forgiving for sure but are super great feeling.  I loved the pro 4-6, probably should’ve gotten the CB 7 but the pro is just fine,  I felt like my ball flight was higher than expected but my distances were just as good as the apex21s. 

This is good to hear considering the loft package is stronger with Apex 21.  I was worried that CB would be a step back in distance from my ZX7 since the lofts are 2 degrees weaker.  

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

20 hours ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

This is good to hear considering the loft package is stronger with Apex 21.  I was worried that CB would be a step back in distance from my ZX7 since the lofts are 2 degrees weaker.  

It’s gonna take time to know for sure, I played in a scramble today, felt like I was coming up short some, but I was in between clubs a lot and it was breezy.  Plus my swing wasn’t too great today, lol I guess a lot going against me.  Still clubs are very playable.

18 minutes ago, TWGator said:

It’s gonna take time to know for sure, I played in a scramble today, felt like I was coming up short some, but I was in between clubs a lot and it was breezy.  Plus my swing wasn’t too great today, lol I guess a lot going against me.  Still clubs are very playable.

21 Apex pros or standard apex?

I have to say even though I saw and hit them in the store (with awful results, all me not them) they are really nice looking clubs in hand. I look forward to gripping them and putting them in play later this week.

Callaway Smoke Max 10.5 GD AD VF 6s

Titleist TSR 2 16.5 GD AD UB 7s

Titleist TSR 2 21 GD AD DI 8x

Callaway APEX CB  5-11 Steelfiber i95 r

Chikara 54* Steelfiber 110 s

Chikara 58* Steelfiber 110 s

SLED # 1  35.5