2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

2024 APEX CBs reviews

jsixman

4 hours ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

Who needs TCB's? 😉

IMG_9699.jpg

What's the BB&F name for those ferrules?  They look mint!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9*, Accra RPG 472 M5+ (D3) 18GF, 8GB 44.5"

ST-G Ti 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X, 43"

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41" or

X-Forged UT 2i (18*) CK PW 90TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW, Accra Tour 110i (TX)

T20 50.07, Modus 125 Wedge

T24 54.08D, T20 60.06, Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon San Diego 34" Stability Tour, Callaway Tour X

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2024 at 7:20 PM, HeftyLeftyfromTX said:

Can anyone compare the new CBs to the TCBs? I just hit the TCBs in store and really liked their feel and forgiveness, but the CBs look way better. If the CB are as forgiving and feel anything like the TCBs I’m going to have to buy them and I’ve literally never owned a Callaway club.

Very similar if anything CB's feel marginally softer or more muted.  Cb's have a slight pre warn leading edge on the sole.  Not sure you AoA but if you are shallow they could be better for you than TCB.  I much prefer the look and feel of the new CB, but there are others who prefer TCB haha.  Forgiveness will be the same on both irons.  Pretty demanding, but with some help.

Edited by Avidswampthing66
  • Like 1

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

I've been ball striking the Cb's since I've gotten them.  There was a week where I was learning how the sole interacts with the turf.  I struggled a bit with the PW, but learned it likes a slightly more aggressive AoA than I was delivering.  Once I got that dialed it's been wonderful.  Do you know that feeling when you pull your iron out of the bag and you feel excited??   Looking forward to 24.  Very happy I went the CB route over TCB.

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

I just went to a Callaway and Srixon Demo Day last Friday.  I have the OG ZX7's in a Nippon Modus 105S shaft.  I will get to the point.  All models (7 irons) were compared in the same 105S shaft. - I really didn't like the Apex Pro and ZX4 MII.  The sound and feel of the head was muted/dull.  The Apex MB was not very forgiving.   I hit the new ZX7 MII better than the ZX5 MII (go figure).   

However- these are my observations regarding Apex CB and ZX7 OG and MII.  These were my two favorites out of the bunch.  Keep in mind, my whole bag is Callaway with the exception of the irons.

- Both irons look great.  The CB looks nicer overall.  

- Both irons have a similar profile.  The CB has a thinner topline and sole.

-  Dispersion is better with the ZX7.  I had the feeling if I had owned the CB for a few years this would have been a wash.

-  Forgiveness is better with the ZX7.  Heal and toe hits much more punishing on the CB.

-  Distance was the same (ZX7 MII was 2-3 yards longer).  Like others have said - the CB's peak height was slightly higher and they spun on average 700 rpm more (6500 vs 5800).

- Feel on the CB and OG ZX7 very similar and very good.    The ZX7  MII was softer with an almost Mizuno feel  (which I liked). 

I decided not to get either the CB or ZX7 MII since any perceived gains would have been small, if any, over the OG ZX7's.  This is especially when you consider the cost of $1200 -$1500 per set.  However, If I had the choose, I would have picked the ZX7 MII.  The Callaway rep told me that new irons are coming out at the end of the year and that I should like them based  on what he has seen to date.  Got the impression that it would be a club with a slightly larger profile like the ZX7/ZX5.  We'll see in a few months.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

I've been ball striking the Cb's since I've gotten them.  There was a week where I was learning how the sole interacts with the turf.  I struggled a bit with the PW, but learned it likes a slightly more aggressive AoA than I was delivering.  Once I got that dialed it's been wonderful.  Do you know that feeling when you pull your iron out of the bag and you feel excited??   Looking forward to 24.  Very happy I went the CB route over TCB.

So you think the CBs are best for a shallow AOA? I’m very shallow and play in firm conditions. They sound perfect for me

6 minutes ago, HeftyLeftyfromTX said:

So you think the CBs are best for a shallow AOA? I’m very shallow and play in firm conditions. They sound perfect for me

I Bet GIF by chuber channel

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

10 hours ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

I think you’re the only one who actually raves about them on here. For me, they had the worst turf interaction feeling of any iron I have hit over the last 5 years, and I shot 4/10 rounds in the 60’s with them 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

1 minute ago, Brooks_Cupcake said:

I think you’re the only one who actually raves about them on here. For me, they had the worst turf interaction feeling of any iron I have hit over the last 5 years, and I shot 4/10 rounds in the 60’s with them 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

I've noticed that too.  Just no love at all.

IDK.  Being a +cap with ball striking as my strength and gaming various Srixon players irons for the last few years I have high expectations of what an iron needs to be for my game.  

I have noticed if you don't strike it dead center, then it can feel a little hard or "thin"

• Like 1

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

1 hour ago, Avidswampthing66 said:

I've noticed that too.  Just no love at all.

IDK.  Being a +cap with ball striking as my strength and gaming various Srixon players irons for the last few years I have high expectations of what an iron needs to be for my game.  

I have noticed if you don't strike it dead center, then it can feel a little hard or "thin"

I’m with you, the last couple rounds I’ve played, I have loved the CBs.  When you hit the center, it feels so awesome.   I’m a 5 handicap right now and that’s up a point since I got these irons but I think I’ll be headed back down soon.  Hit it really good this past weekend, short game killed me.   I only wish I had the 6&7 in CBs, pretty happy with the pro 4&5

• Like 1

IDK turf interaction was pretty good for all these people (this is just page one) @HeftyLeftyfromTX

On 9/24/2023 at 8:01 PM, mikehill06 said:

Shape - I much prefer the shape and sole of the CB’s over the OG TCB’s.  Toe, topeline and footprint looked really good

Feel - I think these are much softer than the OG TCB’s.  As good as anything I hit - Srixon ZX7 MK II 23’ T100

Turf interaction - probably the best change, the pre-worn leading edge and overall sole are really good 

On 10/9/2023 at 5:25 PM, SBH9458 said:

I love them. Looks, sound, feel all are outstanding. 

On 10/18/2023 at 2:47 PM, JTK37 said:

the CBs way more forgiving than I expected( close enough to the Pros that I don't see swapping out the longer clubs) and the turf interaction is amazing.

Edited by Avidswampthing66

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

13 hours ago, HeftyLeftyfromTX said:

I had a fitting over the xmas break and these irons were the best I hit all day if you take the Miura TC out of the equation. I have a shallow AOA/sweeper swing and they felt fantastic to me immediately upon hitting them. If I was buying new irons, these would be it. 

• Like 1

Callaway Rough SZ 8.0* Fuji Evo 757x / Fairway 15* Shaft TBD

Cleveland 588h 18* Speeder 904hb / Srixon ZU85 23* 4u

King Cobra Forged CB 5-Pw Nippon Modus 120x

Mizuno T20 50s Modus 120x, SM4 55.12 / Callaway MDf 60* DG Spinner 

Odyssey O-Works Black 1WS

31 minutes ago, jedc said:

I had a fitting over the xmas break and these irons were the best I hit all day if you take the Miura TC out of the equation. I have a shallow AOA/sweeper swing and they felt fantastic to me immediately upon hitting them. If I was buying new irons, these would be it. 

How forgiving are they? They look really small. Like a blade basically. They’re smaller than the new T100 and Blueprint S. 

20 hours ago, HeftyLeftyfromTX said:

What’s wrong with the turf interaction?

Yeah, there is nothing wrong with the turf interactlon. That is one opinion and way off in my opinion. I laughed when I read that only one person raves about these Apex CBs. There are a ton of people who like everything about the Apex CB. Best club in the lineup. They are selling plenty of them.

I think it is one of Callaway’s best CBs ever. To me the design crushes Srixon’s giant soles. I do not get the fascination with the thick v-soles. I enjoy the thinner soles My three favorite CBs of 2024 are the Mizuno 243, New Level 480TC and the Apex CB. 

Edited by dmeeksDC

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

8 hours ago, HeftyLeftyfromTX said:

How forgiving are they? They look really small. Like a blade basically. They’re smaller than the new T100 and Blueprint S. 

I didn’t buy them so i don’t have a long term review, but I fight a toe miss along with some actively closing hands. On minor mishits they were able to hold a decent line. Bad swings still produced a bad shot, but that was on me. 

Callaway Rough SZ 8.0* Fuji Evo 757x / Fairway 15* Shaft TBD

Cleveland 588h 18* Speeder 904hb / Srixon ZU85 23* 4u

King Cobra Forged CB 5-Pw Nippon Modus 120x

Mizuno T20 50s Modus 120x, SM4 55.12 / Callaway MDf 60* DG Spinner 

Odyssey O-Works Black 1WS

8 hours ago, dmeeksDC said:

Yeah, there is nothing wrong with the turf interactlon. That is one opinion and way off in my opinion. I laughed when I read that only one person raves about these Apex CBs. There are a ton of people who like everything about the Apex CB. Best club in the lineup. They are selling plenty of them.

I think it is one of Callaway’s best CBs ever. To me the design crushes Srixon’s giant soles. I do not get the fascination with the thick v-soles. I enjoy the thinner soles My three favorite CBs of 2024 are the Mizuno 243, New Level 480TC and the Apex CB. 

was it hilarious? Did you spit out your coffee on the screen? 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Im saying for me, who played to a plus at the end of year wasn’t a fan of the turf interaction, and (more recently) avidswamp dude was the only one raving about them.

Agree with you on the 243, but can’t comment on the New Level as I have never seen or hit them.

My favourite iron in the last 5 years were both Callaway offerings - Apex Pro Dot 19’s and TCB 22’s.

1 hour ago, Brooks_Cupcake said:

was it hilarious? Did you spit out your coffee on the screen? 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

Im saying for me, who played to a plus at the end of year wasn’t a fan of the turf interaction, and (more recently) avidswamp dude was the only one raving about them.

Agree with you on the 243, but can’t comment on the New Level as I have never seen or hit them.

My favourite iron in the last 5 years were both Callaway offerings - Apex Pro Dot 19’s and TCB 22’s.

Are you shallow or steep? I’m curious why the turf interaction was so poor for you. I would think the thin sole, but leading edge relief would be pretty versatile and allow for really smooth ball first contact and quick turf exit. 

4 hours ago, HeftyLeftyfromTX said:

Are you shallow or steep? I’m curious why the turf interaction was so poor for you. I would think the thin sole, but leading edge relief would be pretty versatile and allow for really smooth ball first contact and quick turf exit. 

I wouldn’t say I’m definitive in either direction. Could have been the $ Tapers too, but I had them in my TCB and they performed great in that head.

Im not complaining about how the CB performed but maybe I just hit a lot of thin shots with them unknowingly but they weren’t dropping off from a distance perspective.

IMG_5982.jpeg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Brooks_Cupcake said:

avidswamp dude

😂 It finally appears, the long awaited name for my trendy golf brand 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

DF3

Chrome Tour X

Thanks everyone for all the reviews. 

Anyone compare these to the T100 head to head? Im nostalgic about the Apex line so may want to pick some up..

Titleist TSi3 Ventus TR Blue 6s - TBD upgrade

Titleist TSi2 3W Venus TR Blue 7s - TBD upgrade

Callaway Apex 16 3 Hybrid Ventus HB Blue 9x

Callaway Apex Pro 4, CB 5-10 DG 120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM10 50F/54S/60S DG S300

Ping Anser PLD

I’m not sure there is anything in it.  I keep trying them, just to see if they should be added to the rotation, but the T100 head, I think, is more forgiving.  Mind you, I think the Apex CB is remarkably consistent when it comes to spin.  I have yet to hit them outdoors, but right now, I would think there is nothing in it.  The Apex CB would just be a change from the T100 - six of one, half a dozen of the other.

28 minutes ago, lordemsworth said:

I’m not sure there is anything in it.  I keep trying them, just to see if they should be added to the rotation, but the T100 head, I think, is more forgiving.  Mind you, I think the Apex CB is remarkably consistent when it comes to spin.  I have yet to hit them outdoors, but right now, I would think there is nothing in it.  The Apex CB would just be a change from the T100 - six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Totally agree.  Very similar irons.  I went CB mainly because of the sole design.  Otherwise it was a toss up..

• Like 1