2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

So you added a driving iron. What is your go-to fairway club from 240?

RoyalMustang

6 hours ago, RoyalMustang said:

Would a 5-wood give me more accuracy than my hybrid? That's the issue: I need something high enough with enough spin for stopping power when called for, but something uber accurate when I have to find a fairway. In wind, the hybrid is not my friend. 

Although it's a longer shaft, it's also a much more forgiving head, and without the leftward tendency of hybrids. I carry a 3w, 5w and 7w, so if I'm into the wind I just take more club. And I can flight them down enough that they are still playable in wind. It's only if I'm heading dead into a howler that I might miss a driving iron, but that's rare. 

Titleist TSR3 08.75 - Tour AD VF 6x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 - Tour AD DI 7x

Titleist TSR2 18.00 – Tour AD DI 8x

Titleist TSR2 22.00 - Tour AD DI 9x

Titleist T100 5i 6i 7i 8i 9i – X100

Titleist SM9 46F 50F 54S 60M – S400

Titleist Pro V1 – Mezz.1 Broomstick

Hi,

unless you're a fan of these driving "irons" (I'm not, I prefer hybrid vs forgiveness, 240yr/m b4 the hole is a long way, thus the best is to stay on the fairway nicely with ease 🙂 )

the coolest & most forgiving stuff is to use an hydrid.

The coolest hybrid for that is currently the Mizuno ST-Z 230, 16° (H2), with loft ajustment +/-1.5°.

Thus if some is not 100% confident with his driver, this hybrid tuned at 14.5° => only stingers thrown nicely in the middle of the fairway. Done.

I say that based on youtube reviews that all states that this stick is very good.

I don't need a club like that between my driver & my 19° hybrid, but.. my 2 cents

Rgds

• Like 1

I like the "Rickie Fowler" wood (a short shafted 5 or 7 wood).

For me, I found a 41.5" fairway at 18 degrees will fly about 245-250. 

Super versatile too. Can choke down 2" to hit bullets or manipulate a high floater easily.

Edited by b.mattay
  • Like 3

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS (8), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Taylormade SLDR Mini (12), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

Titleist TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

Srixon U85 (22), PX 6.5

Ping i210 (5-UW), X100

Mizuno T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

DFX 2 Ball Blade 

Srixon Z-Star XV

This type of scenario sounds perfect for one of the small headed hybrids, something like a TSR3. 

I think the 2/3 driving irons are suitable for those players who have a combination of high speed, launch and spin. Trying to get something to land softly from 220-230 is not that easy, especially with a long iron. 

The smaller headed hybrids get a bit over looked, but they are so versatile. Easy to hit high and to put back in your stance and knock down, best of both worlds.  

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60L Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

I have similar distance to you, and I could not recommend more the hi-fly 3 iron. I carry mine about 235 or so off the tee and am able to control the trajectory fairly easily. Additionally, I am super comfortable with it off the turf, I regularly hit it into challenging par 5s with decent height and stopping power. As many others have said before, to make a driving or utility iron work for you, you need to have a high club speed that can launch the ball and get enough spin, otherwise you are fighting an uphill battle with trying to stop one on the green.

I go driver, 3w, 5w, driving 3 iron. 3&5w are both half inch short. From 240 I’m hitting a high 5w. 

TM Qi10 (9*) | Speeder 661 Evolution  IV X

TM M6 3w (15*) | HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.0

TM Stealth2+ 5w (18*) | HZRDUS Yellow 83 6.5

PXG Gen4 0311 X (3) | HZRDUS Black 105 6.5 

PXG Gen4 0311 T (4) | DG X100

TM P730 (5-9) | DG X100 

TM MG3 (46.09, 54.13, 60.TW) | DG S300 

TM Spider X Chalk

Ball: Taylormade TP5x 

Thanks-I'll play around with some club ideas. I have several to go on. 

I did take 4 clubs out yesterday to see if they worked:

TM 790 2-iron

Apex Pro 3-iron w/S400

Mizuno 225 4-iron w/X100 SSx1

Tour Edge Exotics 2H

The TM was pretty much tee-only. I couldn't hit it otherwise. 

The Apex Pro 3-iron went way, way too high for a 3-iron. For whatever reason, it basically had my hybrid height. 

The Tour Edge exotics was nice for a lower launching club but had a leftward miss tendency. 

The Mizuno 225 was by far the best of the bunch. I hit a great tee shot with it-230 right in the middle of the fairway. I also smoked a fairway shot with it: I don't know the carry but it ran out to 235. Big sweet spot, easy to swing, trajectory seemed spot-on for something with decent height and spin but not enough to be an issue in stiff winds. It felt very confident in my hands. 

I'll grab a 5 wood and see if that may work as well. If not; perhaps the "strong" 225 4-iron is the ticket. If I need to hit 215 with it, I'll just choke down. 

Is there a reason to have a regular player's type 4-iron in the bag when something like a 225 is more forgiving? I love striping my Mizuno MMC but you can instantly tell the 225 is a lot more forgiving, which isn't a bad thing on a 4-iron. 

I go back and forth between a 21* hybrid turned down to 20* and a 20* T200 utility. But I have yet to find the magic combo that feels completely comfortable both off the tee and into a green. I was playing a 19* hybrid but it tends to spin too little and goes too far/comes in too hot.

Edited by TLUBulldogGolf

Titleist TSi3 10° TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15° Devotion HB 75-X
Wilson Staff Utility 3/21° HZRDUS 4G 6.5
Wilson Staff Blades 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

Played a 5W for several years (Cobra F8) in that 230 to 240 range, but really struggled in windy days where the ball would just balloon.

Switched to a Sim DHY and had some success with it for a while, but if I wasn't swinging well, it would be a nightmare.  Ended up switching from the DHY to the Paradym hybrid at 20* and that seems to have been a good replacement. 

The frequency of actually using the DHY/5W/HY from that distance is still really low.  Maybe 2 shots a round (both off the tee).

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

1 hour ago, CactusGolf said:

Played a 5W for several years (Cobra F8) in that 230 to 240 range, but really struggled in windy days where the ball would just balloon.

Switched to a Sim DHY and had some success with it for a while, but if I wasn't swinging well, it would be a nightmare.  Ended up switching from the DHY to the Paradym hybrid at 20* and that seems to have been a good replacement. 

The frequency of actually using the DHY/5W/HY from that distance is still really low.  Maybe 2 shots a round (both off the tee).

I'm still rocking my F8 5-wood turned down to 17° and I love that thing. Perfect 240 club for me and works equally well off tee or turf.

My DI is replacing my 4i for now (of course, If I will play a windy course I likely will keep the 4i and drop the 7w). From 220-240 in the fairway It will likely be my 7w if I need all carry. If the green complex is open, I may actually use my DI. If I am on the 240-250 range, then it is 4w if the lie is good. If a bad lie than likely 7w or DI so I can then have an easy wedge to get onto the green.

Edited by Rbsiedsc

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with KBS TD Cat 4 44.5" 

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Snell Prime 4.0

I have 3 options 🫣

Tour edge exotics hybrid

(goes really high and straight but on bad shots I tend to yank it left)

Mizuno fli-hi 2 iron

(new to bag, felt nice on the sim)

Turned a Mizuno Pro 225 3 iron into a driving iron, graphite shaft 1/4” over std.

(new to bag) 

Edited by PlatinumNike

14 hours ago, RoyalMustang said:

Thanks-I'll play around with some club ideas. I have several to go on. 

I did take 4 clubs out yesterday to see if they worked:

TM 790 2-iron

Apex Pro 3-iron w/S400

Mizuno 225 4-iron w/X100 SSx1

Tour Edge Exotics 2H

The TM was pretty much tee-only. I couldn't hit it otherwise. 

The Apex Pro 3-iron went way, way too high for a 3-iron. For whatever reason, it basically had my hybrid height. 

The Tour Edge exotics was nice for a lower launching club but had a leftward miss tendency. 

The Mizuno 225 was by far the best of the bunch. I hit a great tee shot with it-230 right in the middle of the fairway. I also smoked a fairway shot with it: I don't know the carry but it ran out to 235. Big sweet spot, easy to swing, trajectory seemed spot-on for something with decent height and spin but not enough to be an issue in stiff winds. It felt very confident in my hands. 

I'll grab a 5 wood and see if that may work as well. If not; perhaps the "strong" 225 4-iron is the ticket. If I need to hit 215 with it, I'll just choke down. 

Is there a reason to have a regular player's type 4-iron in the bag when something like a 225 is more forgiving? I love striping my Mizuno MMC but you can instantly tell the 225 is a lot more forgiving, which isn't a bad thing on a 4-iron. 

My bag is Srixon ZX7 5-pw but went with a more forgiving ZX5 for my 4 iron 

and as you’ll read on my above post for your reasoning I’m trying the 225 for an easy 3 “driving iron”

I managed to get a driving iron (or 3 iron as I call it) in the bag without taking out my 3 Hybrid out, so my answer is I'll just use my hybrid, which is good for 230-240. 

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

1 hour ago, Pepperturbo said:

When I logged on today, and saw go-to fairway club from 240, I laughed.  All my years playing tournament golf as a -2, with and against all sorts of skill, very few had a 240yd fairway club, wood, hybrid or iron, much less one of those that was controllable. 

But this is Golfwrx where everyone has Tour distance.  Pardon me while I LOL.

Hey, I had 3 rounds in a row 2 weeks ago where I hit my drive to the spot around the bunker, then was putting for eagle. The green is at elevation plus often has a slight headwind, hence the 240 number. The top HS kids that play out here can hit those shots as well; it's modern tech and balls combined with 90 degree plus temps.  Heck they are hitting from in front of that bunker and only need 200 to the pin.   

Granted, I didn't get there my next 4 times, but I only went for it once due to drives that left me out of range or in the FW bunker.  I caught that miss a little fat and it ended up just short. Still an easy par. 

Hole 3.jpg

6 minutes ago, RoyalMustang said:

Hey, I had 3 rounds in a row 2 weeks ago where I hit my drive to the spot around the bunker, then was putting for eagle. The green is at elevation plus often has a slight headwind, hence the 240 number. The top HS kids that play out here can hit those shots as well; it's modern tech and balls combined with 90 degree plus temps.  Heck they are hitting from in front of that bunker and only need 200 to the pin.   

Granted, I didn't get there my next 4 times, but I only went for it once due to drives that left me out of range or in the FW bunker.  I caught that miss a little fat and it ended up just short. Still an easy par. 

I didn't say I didn't believe you. 

I am 70+ yrs young, play to 4, still.  My recent best drive on a Par 4 was 290 yds, recent 17' 2i was 230 on a short Par 4, fairway conditions helped both.  Though both were exceptional, neither reflects my average 245yd carry drive nor my normal 2i at 205-215yds.  For reference, my 30yr old son doesn't play much, but when he does, he uses my backup bag filled with blades, etc. 5i is 205yds plus and driver is 285-300 surprisingly consistent.  He's crappy around the greens, but smart enough to ask his dad.

My laughter is from experience.  Every now and again, I tee it up with some big hitter younger 30/45 something guys that regularly play in Regional Am events, where we met.  One is +4, one is +1/scratch and the other is 1 index; when we play no strokes.  Not many minus index players have trustable 300+yd drives, nor trustable hybrid or 5 wd for 240+ or 260yd 3 wd, like the +4.  He's fun to play with.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo, Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 TMB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

OP, your post perfectly describes why I’ve given up on driving irons.

They’re a one-trick pony in a distance range that requires versatility. 

TSR2 8.0 Ventus TR Black 6-X

TSR2+ 13.0 Ventus Blue 8-TX

M5 5 wood Ventus Blue 9-TX
P-UDI 3 iron DI Hybrid 105-X

T100 4-5/ 716 CB 6-P MMT 125-TX

SM10 54D, 60M Modus 125-X
Pro Platinum Newport 2

G430 7 wood on the big minus so it plays about 19.5*.  240-245 all day long for me and dead straight.  Comes into the green like a wedge.  I’ve never been much of a fairway guy until I tried the G430.  Super consistent numbers, dispersion in just silly.  I’m tempted to pick up a 9 wood just for fun.

Driver: TaylorMade BRNR 9.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 13.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 19.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Irons:  PXG 0317 CB 4-GW KBS Tour 130X

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 54S Modus 125W

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 58S Modus 125W

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

2 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

I didn't say I didn't believe you. 

I am 70+ yrs young, play to 4, still.  My recent best drive on a Par 4 was 290 yds, recent 17' 2i was 230 on a short Par 4, fairway conditions helped both.  Though both were exceptional, neither reflects my average 245yd carry drive nor my normal 2i at 205-215yds.  For reference, my 30yr old son doesn't play much, but when he does, he uses my backup bag filled with blades, etc. 5i is 205yds plus and driver is 285-300 surprisingly consistent.  He's crappy around the greens, but smart enough to ask his dad.

My laughter is from experience.  Every now and again, I tee it up with some big hitter younger 30/45 something guys that regularly play in Regional Am events, where we met.  One is +4, one is +1/scratch and the other is 1 index; when we play no strokes.  Not many minus index players have trustable 300+yd drives, nor trustable hybrid or 5 wd for 240+ or 260yd 3 wd, like the +4.  He's fun to play with.

I played with a guy last year who was varsity at OK State a few years back. That guy was massive off the tee but not all that accurate: he would rather be 340 and occasionally in the fairway vs 300 and in the fairway all the time. He either shot 65 or 75 but he often drove 340 yard par 4s. I doubt he cared much. The club champ at the time was a +3 and he wasn't really capable of hitting the ball over 280; he was just deadly accurate with his tee shots and approach irons. He would have taken the distance if he had it, surely, but I would love to have his distance control and ability to put the ball 8 feet below the pin on a steep back to front green. 

I suppose every good player has a "superpower"; something they are exceptional at. If you have two, you probably play golf for a living.   

• Like 1

On 10/2/2023 at 1:45 PM, uglande said:

240 is 5 wood

I have bought and sold so many 2 irons over the years. But I've finally kicked the habit. They look cool and are fun to play around with, but it's a one-trick pony, and it's not even that great at that one trick. I can hit a lazy five right down the middle of any fairway that goes as far as 2 iron swinging out of my shoes. And forget about hitting into greens. 

This guy gets it, I mean when Dustin Johnson put a 7 and 9 wood in the bag it's a wake up call for the rest of us mere mortals.... 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

When I logged on today, and saw go-to fairway club from 240, I laughed.  All my years playing tournament golf as a -2, with and against all sorts of skill, very few had a 240yd fairway club, wood, hybrid or iron, much less one of those that was controllable. 

But this is Golfwrx where everyone has Tour distance.  Pardon me while I LOL.

haha I thought the same thing.

Don't forget that it can't fly high due to ballooning but needs enough spin to land soft and stick greens.

Titleist TSR4 9*

Titleist 917 f2 3w 16.5*

Callaway UW 21*

Mizuno MP4 4-P

Vokey SM9 50/56/60

L.A.B Direct Force 2.1

On 10/2/2023 at 12:14 PM, stormbringer said:

My 5 wood is the club for the shot you are describing.  I also carry a 20 degree hybrid.  Depending on wind, uphill/downhill, pin front/back and lie would dictate which one I hit.  All things being equal I'm using the 5 wood.  I can vary the 5 wood trajectory but usually it's quite high and stops within 10 feet.

YMMV

On 10/2/2023 at 2:45 PM, uglande said:

240 is 5 wood

I have bought and sold so many 2 irons over the years. But I've finally kicked the habit. They look cool and are fun to play around with, but it's a one-trick pony, and it's not even that great at that one trick. I can hit a lazy five right down the middle of any fairway that goes as far as 2 iron swinging out of my shoes. And forget about hitting into greens. 

Agree with this.  Last year I stumbled on a clean Jetspeed 19 degree 5 wood for $42.  I figured, no loss if it doesn’t work…

It hasn’t left the bag since.  I use it for everything.  Off the tee for a fairway finder, choke down and flight a lower cut, take it in high or low bound it lower, heck I even punch out with it from time to time.  

I will also say the UW is a fine stick as well.

• Like 1

Over the years I’ve heard people they hit short clubs well, but struggle with long ones, or vice versa.  I myself went through a period when I could hit my 20 degree 3 iron like a dream but couldn’t use anything shorter than my 36 degree 7.  Eventually I figured out I was just hitting up on the ball instead of down, and the harder I hit my short irons they just went higher, instead of farther.

My observation is that striking the ball properly is an all purpose super power, and of course the ultimate answer to all equipment problems.  I don’t know about the OP’s game, but I see a lot of people hitting up on their drivers and getting distance, with a swing that shall we say doesn’t work so well with irons.

All said, hitting the green and leaving it there with any regularity from 240 yards is a lot for any amateur to expect with any club and any swing.  Apparently the pro average of GIR’s from 200 plus yards is 43%.

If you’re worried you can run up a big score with a less than perfect swing, unless you have one, a layup may just be in order instead of a new club.

Enjoyed reading everybody's thoughts on this.... This summer I added a 3h hybrid that goes a good way probably 220-245ish depending on conditions, but then I added a 15 degree 3w that goes more into the 250-260+ range, and found myself using the 3h less. and then just added a 24* callaway ut.

I'm going to keep the Driver, 3 wood, and 24* UT think.

My question is what to do more for the 215-220 shot moreso than 240, because I think it comes up more often for me.

The 205ish shot hopefully becomes the 24*.

But then maybe getting a 4h instead of a 3h,

or do i just go 21* ut,

or do i go 3w, 5w, then 24*. What a game... 

(or 3w, 18*, 24*)