2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Golf membership worth the $$$ if you have no plans to be involved in the club itself other than golfing?

So I've been contemplating joining a club and was just wondering if any of you have ever felt the same way. I do not care about being involved in the politics of the club. I don't give af about being friends with other members. I do not care to socialize with them nor play in their game on the weekends or during the week. What I do care about is a nice place to play golf and enjoy it for that, GOLFING. The things that matter to me are course conditions, tee time availability and stuff such as quality of food and how well the staff is that works there.

I know that being involved in a golf club when you become a member requires many to feel that they need to be involved with other members, but that is just not who I am or want to be. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Irishman1979 said:

So I've been contemplating joining a club and was just wondering if any of you have ever felt the same way. I do not care about being involved in the politics of the club. I don't give af about being friends with other members. I do not care to socialize with them nor play in their game on the weekends or during the week. What I do care about is a nice place to play golf and enjoy it for that, GOLFING. The things that matter to me are course conditions, tee time availability and stuff such as quality of food and how well the staff is that works there.

I know that being involved in a golf club when you become a member requires many to feel that they need to be involved with other members, but that is just not who I am or want to be. 

Don’t think you should join a club. To me, the best thing about being a member is everything, minus the politics, that you want to avoid. You can play golf anywhere. Clubs are for making connections.

Edited by caniac6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Everywhere I have been there has been several guys that just want to play and have dinner and not be involved with the organised competitions, don't want a regular foursome or anything else. 

Nothing wrong with that at all, and there is a freedom in it as you just jump into single spots on the tee sheet when ever you like. After a while you will learn who to jump in with and how you would rather not play a round with.

At most clubs one thing you will not be able to do unless you target the very slow times is play on you own.

• Like 3

I tend to fall into the "don't really need a regular group" and for a while stopped liking to play with other people. I played public golf for quite a while before joining a club and I had my share of terrible golfers who seemed to think they knew everything or were just annoying. I am talking 30+ hdcps who loved saying they would be so much better if only they had more range time but I digress...

This made me a little anti-social for a while but once I joined my club I found much better golfers and people that I generally got along with better in that they were comfortable with silences while still engaging in conversation every now and then. I must say, this sentence you posted worries me a little:

requires many to feel that they need to be involved with other members, but that is just not who I am or want to be. 

You don't have to tell someone your life story but is it that difficult to have a little small talk with other members? Maybe I am misreading your post. 

• Like 1

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

Not enough information here.  Is it "worth" the $$$?  No way to answer that question without knowing how much $$$ and how your value your $$$ and your time -- you're the only one who can answer that.

If you want lots of tee time availability without playing with any other members, you're either looking at a very high-priced club, or the other extreme -- a club that's hardly thriving.

My sense from your post is I would beware.  A golf club is a group of people, and if you want nothing to do with those people, all you're doing is taking and not adding anything to the club other than your monthly check.  The club may be OK with this, but after a while, you may not be.

IMO, one of the best things about membership is an organized game.  No weekly hustle to put a foursome together and figure out where and when to play and fart around with everyone's schedule and excuses.  So I would not sell that short.....it's playing golf for some kind of stakes!  I would never get into an organized game that plays a scramble or something weird like that -- that's not playing golf IMO.

• Like 2

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

7 hours ago, Irishman1979 said:

To me, it is entirely up to you what your club experience will be or or even could be.  IF you want to socialize or join games, they are available to you. Hence why it's called a club.  But, if you want to just play golf, by all means go play golf.  It's not a social responsibility, but, I imagine you would meet a few like minded people and play some golf along the way.  We are social creatures after all.  You be you and I wouldn't worry about the rest.  

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

37" Odyssey 2-Ball 10 Tour W/Superstroke Zenergy Tour 13"

Chrome Tour 

19 hours ago, Irishman1979 said:

IMO, you shouldn't join a club then. You'd be better off doing a season pass somewhere. A season pass is literally just golf, you're just paying up front and can likely maximize your cost per round. 

My wife and I have been members at a private club for the last 5 years now. When I first joined I knew I'd use the social aspect a little, and I figured my wife would probably use it even less. Not only do we love the social aspects of it, it actually has become a huge part of our entire social life. We've made so many friends, and some of those friendships have grown into yearly golf trips together. 

• Like 3

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

For what it's worth, I have a buddy in South Mississippi that joined a country club with the exact same mentality that you have.  He has been a member there for around 5 years now.  He takes pride in the fact that he's been there all this time and hardly knows any of the members personally which I find odd.

Background on him is that he has a job that requires a lot of interaction with people, so he would just prefer to avoid social interactions in his downtime.  He is actually a really great guy who would just prefer to enjoy his golf and go.  With that said, he is very cordial and will make small talk which he says is unavoidable in the club setting.  He just politely declines any further interactions outside of the small talk associated with a round of golf or a talk at the bar when eating.

One thing he has done, which was already mentioned by someone, is get in good with the Head Club Pro as it has allowed him to get access to a bunch of other clubs when he travels for work or leisure.

In conclusion, he joined strictly for golf as he plays anywhere between 5-10 rounds a week which would not be possible without his club membership.  It's worth the money for him due to how much golf he plays and the fact that his schedule is random which makes it essential to not having to make set tee times just to get on the course.

• Like 1

I was a member at a top end club for a few years when I was in university, I didn't know anyone out there and because of the club structure and my schedule didn't really meet anyone out there. The course was awesome but I didn't play tons because I didn't know anyone really and didn't have a regular game.  My current club I know a lot of guys and can find a game fairly easily and it makes my experience more enjoyable. A good deal of the failings of the first club were on my accord and were probably mostly cause I was young in a new environment, but I don't think I'd join somewhere without a good feel for the membership and the people out there. If you're fine with going out on your own in non peak hours that might work for you though. 

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

I think the missing detail here, OP, is what the alternative is? Are you in an area where tee times at decent options are relatively, if not readily, available?

Are there any high end daily fee courses you can join for early access to tee times? That might be the sweet spot for what you're looking for. Generally good conditions and food offerings to warrant higher daily fee rates, but not as much of the typical "club" socialization or expectation. This wouldn't give you the "show up without a time" access, but even most private clubs on weekends that's not the case.

I basically do what you are talking about, I play all my golf as a single and outside the food on the course, I’m not usually in the clubhouse except to shower.

I think many have hit the nail on the head, you can exist like this most places if you aren’t a jerk.  I hop on open times, or book as a single and accept all that end up on my times.

I haven’t golfed more than a handful of times with any one member, but I have golfed with many more a time or two.  I prefer it that way. I’m not looking for friends or connections, but I don’t mind a decent conversation with new people either.

$$$ value is your opinion alone.  I actually think your sentiment is more common now, especially with younger members.  They aren’t joining to brag about the club or the people they know, it’s utility for them.

If you have good daily fee courses available, no need to join a club.  You'd be paying for amenities that you don't use.  If you're fortunate, you can find a private club that focuses on only only golf and the quality of the course.  There used to be many courses like that.  Today, unfortunately,  most courses have loaded up on spending for non-golf crap.

44 minutes ago, DonatelloNobodie said:

If you have good daily fee courses available, no need to join a club.  You'd be paying for amenities that you don't use.  If you're fortunate, you can find a private club that focuses on only only golf and the quality of the course.  There used to be many courses like that.  Today, unfortunately,  most courses have loaded up on spending for non-golf crap.

I’m not sure the guy is in the same situation people are in in my area, but going private might be for time and convenience.

My area has a ton of public and semiprivate options, but they all have the same issue. They all book tee times 8 minutes apart, and all the slots fill up. This leads to the dreaded 5-hour round unless you play within the first hour of tee time availability even on weekdays. It, also, makes for a feeding frenzy as soon as the tee times become available for booking which makes getting a preferred time near impossible.

I’m not sure that that is his situation, but I know it is why I’m considering joining a strictly private country club.

I know two members at the club I belong to, and play in their groups about once every other month. I play two times a week predominantly solo. For me nothing better than a solo round of golf. This is a function of a highly social/connection based career and life off the course. I enjoy being social and engaging others, but my time on the course is time away from that.  Perhaps other members may look down on that, not my intent to be antisocial, but that is not my reason to be at a golf club. I really love to play golf. It is my primary personal leisure activity. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, vallygolf said:

I know two members at the club I belong to, and play in their groups about once every other month. I play two times a week predominantly solo. For me nothing better than a solo round of golf. This is a function of a highly social/connection based career and life off the course. I enjoy being social and engaging others, but my time on the course is time away from that.  Perhaps other members may look down on that, not my intent to be antisocial, but that is not my reason to be at a golf club. I really love to play golf. It is my primary personal leisure activity. 

I’m with you in that sentiment. I generally play as a solo and will be bunched into a group with an open spot. I will respond when spoken to and be cordial, but I never initiate the conversations. My job puts me in room talking to people constantly, so I prefer my golf to consist of just me playing and enjoying my walk around the course.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, vallygolf said:

For me nothing better than a solo round of golf. This is a function of a highly social/connection based career and life off the course. I enjoy being social and engaging others, but my time on the course is time away from that.  Perhaps other members may look down on that, not my intent to be antisocial, but that is not my reason to be at a golf club. I really love to play golf. It is my primary personal leisure activity. 

Totally understood, and when put this way, the connotation is much better than the original

don't give af about being friends with other members. I do not care to socialize with them nor play in their game on the weekends or during the week.”

• Like 3

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

I love to play the game. Played competitively in high school and college and also some mini tour stuff, traveled all around the country. At one point in my life there was no one who had more passion for the game more than I did. The thing I'm trying to avoid is the cliques you find at clubs. It is really annoying to be honest with you. These people get so offended if you just want to stay to yourself when becoming a member somewhere. Being a good player to be honest and I'm going to be blunt, I'd much rather just go out on my own and play under 3 hours than deal with guys who are going to slow me down (looking for balls, shooting in the 90's or 100's). 

I've always been this way since I was a junior golfer. Always preferred to play solo. 

Its just who I am. BTW I'm far from an introvert. I love socializing with new people. 

It just has its time and place and to be quite frank, the types of people who join golf clubs are not really my kind of people. Very judgemental, snobbish. Its the mentality "What do you do for a living? Where are you from? Where do you live?" And they aren't asking this because they really care about where you live. They are trying to find out how much money you have and what they can gain from knowing you.

Just give me a good golf course, in good shape, and let me enjoy the game alone.

If you aren’t looking to simply keep to yourself but actually want to play most of your rounds solo, that is not realistic unless you are talking about a very high-end club with very few members, a very low-end club struggling for members, and/or playing almost all of your golf at non-peak times. 

A club is not just a golf course. It is also a group of people who should, by and large, want to associate with each other. 

Based on your input in this thread, I’d say the answer to your question is “no.”

• Like 3

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

I always get the first time off in the morning. The courses I play I do get to know the ranger well  and pro shop staff so if I show up early they just let me go and tee off. I can play 18 holes in literally 2 1/2 hours which is great. 

Evenings are good too when its a ghost town and it stays light out till 9 pm in the summer.

You probably wouldn't want to join a club and then be that guy that expects to be allowed off first every time.  Some clubs already got those guys. Some clubs require you to have a tee time, and some clubs they fill up fast these days.  Maybe you could get some deal like that some place but I sure wouldn't count on it.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2023 at 8:44 AM, Irishman1979 said:

I always get the first time off in the morning. The courses I play I do get to know the ranger well  and pro shop staff so if I show up early they just let me go and tee off. I can play 18 holes in literally 2 1/2 hours which is great. 

Speaking as a dew sweeper who will tee off in the dark solo sometimes at public courses if they allow it, do not expect to join a private club and do this. Every club I've been a member of has had a later first tee time than any public course in the area, and absolutely will not bend the rules and let anyone tee off early. Not only because private courses usually have more maintenance people out early in the morning doing more detailed work than public courses, but because it looks like favoritism. If you have such an arrangement with the staff at the public courses in your area (which I have had in the past at a public course), I'd hold on to it.

Edited by Bonneville85308
  • Like 2

It's funny how differently golfers approach the game and assign value to their club memberships. II'm all about the golf as well and not really interested in other club amenities. And I'm not a drinker who's going to live in the bar after I play. But I'd quit playing if my golf experience equated to what many in this thread have said is their ideal scenario.

When I'm looking at a club, the first question I'm asking is "what kind of regular games can I expect to find here?"

Give me a group of 12, 16, 20 good guys who are low-to-mid cappers and in some capacity get together and play a scratch game a few times a week for a few bucks and bragging rights and I'm in. I want the competition.

That component is far more important to me than the quality of the golf course. I'd much rather have a regular game at a decent course than no game at a great course.

Anyway, no judgment. It's just interesting.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, ChrisSP said:

It's funny how differently golfers approach the game and assign value to their club memberships. II'm all about the golf as well and not really interested in other club amenities. And I'm not a drinker who's going to live in the bar after I play. But I'd quit playing if my golf experience equated to what many in this thread have said is their ideal scenario.

When I'm looking at a club, the first question I'm asking is "what kind of regular games can I expect to find here?"

Give me a group of 12, 16, 20 good guys who are low-to-mid cappers and in some capacity get together and play a scratch game a few times a week for a few bucks and bragging rights and I'm in. I want the competition.

That component is far more important to me than the quality of the golf course. I'd much rather have a regular game at a decent course than no game at a great course.

Anyway, no judgment. It's just interesting.

Same. I have two different groups of guys that I bounce between at my club. The group I play with on Wednesday and Friday afternoons are on average a little younger (I'd say average age 45) and like to gamble. We always have some sort of wager going. The other group I play with on weekends is a little older, and like to keep the betting to a very simple team game where everyone puts in $20, and essentially that money is pooled on the bar afterwards to buy drinks. 

Like you, I find it interesting that some prefer to stay out of this sort of thing. It's one of the many things I love about belonging to a club, I've almost always got someone to play a round with. 

• Like 1

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

I'd also think if the OP doesn't want to play with higher handicap players like he mentions, he should have no trouble finding out who the low/scratch handicappers are at any club and getting into their games, unless there is a personality clash. Every club I've been involved with had at least a handful of low single digit/scratch players who tended to play together regularly.