2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Not even kidding.....anyone struggle with golf as an addiction?

MelloYello

On 10/24/2023 at 9:16 AM, Mikey_HACKilroy said:

It's not an addiction until you start missing important events in your life to go play golf and start lying to people about what you're doing in order to go play golf.

😄

Uh oh. I'm in trouble then. 

I'm definitely addicted. But it's great exercise, keeps me moving, and I have a lot of fun when I play decent. lol I've only been playing for like 2 years though. Those first two years I played, practiced about everyday, and took lessons weekly, and it would drive me nuts when I'd play bad. Now I don't feel the need to go to the range everyday, and I'm satisfied just hitting a few balls into a net outside to stay loose. Until I get around to building my own room to have a simulator.

I'm now shooting firmly in the 80s most days. So I'm content with playing at that level, and feel I don't have to drive myself nuts trying to get better, and just let improvement happen more naturally now.  Goal is ultimately to be able to shoot in the 70s most days, but I'm going to try and enjoy the process a bit more. 

Edited by EagleGSU

13 minutes ago, EagleGSU said:

Uh oh. I'm in trouble then. 

I'm definitely addicted. But it's great exercise, keeps me moving, and I have a lot of fun when I play decent. lol I've only been playing for like 2 years though. Those first two years I played, practiced about everyday, and took lessons weekly, and it would drive me nuts when I'd play bad. Now I don't feel the need to go to the range everyday, and I'm satisfied just hitting a few balls into a net outside to stay loose. Until I get around to building my own room to have a simulator.

I'm now shooting firmly in the 80s most days. So I'm content with playing at that level, and feel I don't have to drive myself nuts trying to get better, and just let improvement happen more naturally now.  Goal is ultimately to be able to shoot in the 70s most days, but I'm going to try and enjoy the process a bit more. 

That's the hardest thing to cope with right there..... I played a lot of golf through the years, but 6 years of basically not playing takes a hefty toll. I may have had the understanding of how to swing a club when I started back, but practice production versus course production are two different things.

Where the addiction part comes in for me is in practice. I won't stop.... 😄 I did okay yesterday with a bucket of balls, but I had to continue on as it got darker. The range has lights, but there is a window of time where the sky is still dimly lit and you can't really see the ball until it is completely dark and the contrast is there. I should have stopped after one bucket but I had a free bucket worth of points so I took it. LOL

Though, if I at least learn something in the experience, I consider it time still well spent. But not stopping has become a problem... LOL!

• Like 1

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven (Still Acclimating)

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

You mean where it's hard to work, socialize, have relationships and function as a normal human because time spent not golfing is spent thinking about golf?

Nope ... No idea what that's like.

• Haha 2

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

On 10/22/2023 at 9:20 AM, MelloYello said:

Yeah, yeah, yeah...I get it. We're all golf addicts... 

...but seriously. Many of us take it home with us so-to-speak. We live with it 24/7. We let it take over our sense of who we are. We're angry at ourselves for investing so much time regardless of whether we play well. When we succeed there's very little besides meaningless pride and when we don't, it means we're horrible people. It's like anything else: food, alcohol, tv, YouTube, forums like this, etc. Addiction is real and you recognize it when you stop to think, 'Wow, everything I do, think, purchase, etc. is somehow tied to golf.' 

My only answer has been to quit for awhile, take time away and return later when it's less of an issue. Is there an answer? Maybe not? 1st world problem, I guess. That's even more embarrassing, LOL. 

I just hate the idea that I have to schedule huge gaps in my year because at my core, I'm not in control and will completely lose faith. It seems like I can predict that at some point I'll just feel empty and downright ashamed of even swinging a club. It's hit me really hard lately. It's crazy but I can only describe the numbness as though I feel like golf is ethically wrong or something.

A couple weeks ago during a 2-day tournament I showed up on that 2nd day and just felt like such a loser for even being there. Like, I hated myself for the idea of being a golfer in that moment. I could barely swing at all. It just felt wrong. I had no motivation and actually felt like I'd rather be anywhere else. The idea of golf just seemed so stupid and pointless in that moment. And honestly, it wasn't like work was terrible or anything. By all accounts, life was pretty fine at the time. It just felt as though I'd completely lost my desire to do golf and I'd woken up in the middle of somewhere I didn't want to be. I had a strong desire to go home and pull weeds from my mulch beds--which doesn't seem normal, LOL. 

Anyone go through something similar? 

I wouldn't say to that extreme. But practicing has become more of a chore now, especially going through lessons and trying to make better movements in my swing. And I do have weeds in my mulch planter as well, so golfing leaves me with less time to pick those out as well 🤣

Edited by hanginnwangin

On 10/23/2023 at 2:20 PM, getitdaily said:

If I didn't practice and play then I'd be less active. I take my sons with me often enough that it's good bonding time and they get out of the house.

The time on here is just to pass some time; whether on a meaningless work call, resting after a set during my workout, or chilling on the couch after the kids and wife have gone to bed. 

I overdue it sometimes, but I still get plenty of other key needed stuff in. It also really helped that I bought a launch monitor and setup a net in my backyard for long game. I don't have to plan around family events to get swing work in much anymore.  Done with a session in the time it took to drive to and from range. 

Putting green going in in a other year or 2. 

Similar situation here. I have a simulator in my garage and love it, but the swing work can get exhausting with the lessons I'm going through. I'm seeing results for sure, but I do often ask why I am putting in so much work to get to scratch (at a 3 right now). Like why? It literally will do nothing for me in life other than maybe show I can do what I put my mind too. But oh well, like you said, it really helps me be more active. Slow motion swings/drills work out your core and help you get better at swinging the club.

On 10/24/2023 at 10:24 AM, Hammer_Hands said:

I've come to understand that golf is just like anything else that the bible calls an "idol".  My belief is that we are made to worship our creator. But when something else takes that place, our lives will begin to get out of order and we will feel the result of that.  

(I know we are not supposed to debate religion and I'm not trying to do that.  Just sharing what is helpful for me in response to a question about addiction.  Would be happy to discuss more with anyone outside this forum, such as through PM)

Yeah, this place is a little too heavy handed with the censorship.   Very nice if you don't want to discuss anything of consequence.  

• Like 1

On 10/25/2023 at 12:59 PM, tatertot said:

You mean where it's hard to work, socialize, have relationships and function as a normal human because time spent not golfing is spent thinking about golf?

Nope ... No idea what that's like.

Agree with this. I love the game, and let’s face it, people on this forum are far more into golf than the general public. But let’s not be fast and loose with the language IMO. Addiction is something very different. 

• Like 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

14 hours ago, mshills said:

Agree with this. I love the game, and let’s face it, people on this forum are far more into golf than the general public. But let’s not be fast and loose with the language IMO. Addiction is something very different. 

I don't know the clinical term of "addiction" but when I think of addiction, I think of not a "prioritization" of certain activities but an all-consuming need for certain activities that destroys relationships, finances, and professinal lives. It's not an active "choice". A choice to play more golf would be "I like golf, I am going to do fewer other activities or even take a less stressful job". An addiction would be "I'm going to play so much golf that I could get fired and lose my career; I can't help myself from doing so". 

Some people have very "locked-in" personalities; I don't consider that addiction unless they couldn't walk away if they had to without severe withdrawl type symptoms. 

f***.... I just bought another shaft... I couldn't resist... The Macallan might have had something to do with it, but after a few range sessions with the Riptide in the 2 Wood producing such exceptional results I had to get another one of those.....

I just couldn't @#%#$^ help myself. It was there, and I bought it.... I didn't have to... but the shots with that sucker looked so @#%#$%@ good I had to. I didn't tell the wife.... SHH.... She doesn't know. Will probably wonder WTF the box is for when it arrives next week....

😄

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven (Still Acclimating)

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

Addiction, obsession , hobby , distraction , enthusiastic endeavour, dedication, OCD? There’s many words. 
As has been touched on, if you’re doing it to a detriment to other parts of your life it probably requires some thought and adjustment.  
Alternatively if it gives you peace and relief from the daily pressures of life that can be good. 
Buying golf stuff endlessly probably doesn’t harm anyone, unless you can’t afford it. But one has to ask themselves , is this getting me where I want to be?  In fact where do I want to be? There’s lots of hobbies that require money spent and provide a person with satisfaction and something to do.  Check out the classic car crowd…..

Yes, I’ve got a lot of golf “stuff”, on the one hand it’s given me hours upon hours of enjoyment , on the other hand, I don’t really want to leave it all for my kids to deal with………because they’ll probably throw it in the dumpster, and it’s good “stuff”.  
😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/23/2023 at 4:47 PM, hardestcoregolfer said:

I appreciate this topic. I am actually a recovering addict and alcoholic. I have been clean for over ten years and got into golf early in my recovery (in my early 30s). Golf is definitely an addiction for me, but it also has helped me keep away a much more dangerous addiction. There are so many things about the sport that lend itself to addictive personalities.

Ha! Funny anecdote I heard a few years back. Alice Copper (yeah, the School's Out Forever rocker) was apparently a bad alcoholic, and said golf saved his life. Quit drinking and got obsessed with golf almost as a replacement.

But the funny anecdote? He's apparently good friends with John Daly. Someone asked about whether it was weird - being an ex-alcoholic playing golf with Daly. He said something like "John's problem isn't that he drinks, its that every time he drinks he gets married" ... 😅

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

There's prob a good portion of players that feel they're not really plateaued.... Im def in that group lol.  If I practiced or played more I would just get better or level up...  mix that with some addictive tendencies and makes for a nice golf crazy player..... like most of us 😂

• Like 1

Can't figure how to like my own posts

I played in college which required 6 days a week in some capacity - whether practicing, qualifying, or off-season workouts. When I got to my senior year, I was completely burned out. Graduated, started my career, played a couple times that summer but didn't have the desire to put any effort towards it.

Now 8 years post college, I find that when I go play now, I've had more fun than any point in my life because there is literally nothing left to prove. If I shot 72, great. If I shoot 80, that's fine too. I get to be outside, likely playing with my dad or both my parents, or my buddies. Guess it's all in the eye of the beholder. I don't play golf anymore to prove it as my worth. And it has been extremely liberating. The lower my expectations, the better I play most of the time. 

• Like 1

I go through phases where I'm pretty obsessed. It ebbs and flows. But that's the way I am with all of my hobbies. Whatever I'm into at the moment consumes my attention to the detriment of other things I'd normally be doing. 

For most of us who are trying to improve our golf game there seems to be this a constant fear of going backwards from inattention. After all there are so many important aspects to the game and they all require practice to stay sharp.

In our mind we're dividing our practice time into honing the full swing or pitching or chipping or putting or bunker play or some specific aspect of any one of those. From the perspective of non-golfers that all falls under the category of "playing golf." Only we care about the differences. 

• Like 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

I absolutely love the game and many parts of it. The equipment, architecture, statistics/strategy, it all is very interesting to me and is a part of who I am. I used to struggle with that a bit more, but I realized 2 things. 1) my expectations were too high about what constitutes a good shot or score, and 2)The more I dwell on my swing, or the golf swing in general, the worse I play. After I accepted those things, I enjoy it more than I ever have after 30 years of playing. 

3.9 HCP and falling (hopefully)

PIng G430 10.5 AltaCB 55 stiff, flat setting

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, Tensei Blue 65 stiff, C1 setting

Titleist TSR3 21*, HZRDUS Black 6.0, D1 setting

Titleist TSR3 24* HZRDUS Black 6.0, C1 setting

Titleist T150 5-9, PX LZ 6.0

Vokey 46F, 50F, 54D, 58T
TM Spider Tour for now.......

Ball ProV1x

For me when I do get back into the game I do tend to overdue it but I can just quit playing for months. I can practice all day to swinging in the house or even taking clubs to the bedroom swinging couple of times before going to sleep. So when I am playing the game I do get addicted where I have to go to the range or course to play, funny thing is I can just stop playing for months.

As for having those days where you just wanted to hide under a rock because your ego is deflated for having a bad day on the course--worse feeling ever!

I only struggle with not enough golf. Espically this time of year when the clocks go back from "Golf Light Savings Time". 

Lackofgolfitis is a serious illness 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

I've been playing golf since I was 8 years old so it's been a part of my life.  It's what my family does when we get together.  I had surgery on my hip recently and was out for 5 weeks.  No golf and very minimal training in the gym.  I was very depressed during the layoff itching to get back out there so I focused on work.  The wife was going absolutely nuts dealing with all my nonsense and self pity talk, lol.  I've been back at it for 3 weeks now and my game is slowly coming back around.  I digress..........yes, I'm addicted.   

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

On 11/1/2023 at 6:35 PM, hacker113 said:

I'd say probably 85+ % of my thoughts are about this game, every single object that I see that even slightly resembles a golf club I want to grip it like one and start making practice swings 

Ha.  You've got it pretty bad.  Be careful.   It's only going to make you crazy.    I know.   I've wasted a good portion of my life in pursuit of this glorious waste of time.   It's worse than the Great White Whale. 

You know what they say.  An addiction is a sickness.   And golf gets you like that.  Thank God it's socially acceptable.   Though I'll never understand why.  For some reason, it's completely legitimate.  Don't bother him.  He's out golfing.   It wouldn't be the same if you were out smoking crack.

It’s an addiction if you prioritize it over providing for yourself or loved ones or if you prioritize it over relationships with loved ones. 
So if it’s more important than career or  significant other/ family you’ve got a problem. 
True story; I knew a guy whose marriage actually ended because all he did was play golf and he barely worked. He was in and out of jobs. No engagement whatsoever with his wife. One day, he was out playing and she moved out. He was served with divorce papers the same week. 
But essentially, his behavior was like that of an functioning alcoholic. And then he actually became an alcoholic, or he seemed to be one,  before he passed away. 
Also, my roommate  in college, Mitch Cumstein, lost it all because he went so far as to even putt at night. 

• Like 1

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

2 hours ago, PJE said:

It’s an addiction if you prioritize it over providing for yourself or loved ones or if you prioritize it over relationships with loved ones. 
So if it’s more important than career or  significant other/ family you’ve got a problem. 
True story; I knew a guy whose marriage actually ended because all he did was play golf and he barely worked. He was in and out of jobs. No engagement whatsoever with his wife. One day, he was out playing and she moved out. He was served with divorce papers the same week. 
But essentially, his behavior was like that of an functioning alcoholic. And then he actually became an alcoholic, or he seemed to be one,  before he passed away. 
Also, my roommate  in college, Mitch Cumstein, lost it all because he went so far as to even putt at night. 

Yeah... THATS an addiction..

Do I think about it everyday since I'm a weekend warrior? Absolutely, I play once a week. Once my round is over, im thinking about the next weekend/chance to play. 

• 1 month later...

It's certainly an addiction for me. I think almost everyone has impulse control issues, some just have minds that point them towards healthier things, though maybe most do multiple healthy things in smaller doses rather than one pretty often. 

I've played golf for years now, but it was only a social thing for most of it. The funny bit is when I got healthier overall and out of a very long depression, that was when the golf addiction took off. If the weather permits I'm usually out six days a week playing or practicing; some of my less addicted family and friends only get to the course five days a week. Can't help that's what my brain wants aside from work, some side projects, and working out. I hate being inside all day even if it's burning up or freezing, and the fresh air paired with a bucket of balls or being out on a relatively tranquil course keeps the mood mostly positive all year round. 

I do feel badly for the people who genuinely can't quit while also having a hell of a time every time they're out. Wild hearing guys calling themselves every name under the sun and muttering how they're too stupid to quit. Golf is a hobby for some, a mostly inescapable addiction for others. There's a reason people talk about being bitten by the golf bug or golf as a disease, virus, or sickness, hah. 

The fact that 95% of the outcome is all on the individual sets off something deep in the mind that many other sports & past times can't quite manage. 

Edited by PedronNiall

Another way to look at our ties to golf is the reason I can't quit.  I took lessons early during covid.  My instructor changed my grip, path, basically everything, and I lost the ability to advance the ball with irons and really struggled to ever enjoy golf.  No matter how badly I played, I used to enjoy getting outside with friends and having a few beers.  Now, after lessons, practice, blood, sweat, and tears, when I play poorly it's very difficult to have fun.  For context, I've spend thousands of dollars and spent hours almost everyday to remain a 20+ handicap.  Any normal rational person would quit, including myself.  But I can't quit, but golf is basically the only time I see my friends now.  We all have jobs, young families, etc.  It's one of the few things that brings us all together.  We go hunting maybe once a year, have a big barbecue on occasion, but 90% or more of our get togethers are now golf.  I've made some progress in my game recently, but I had almost three years of really really struggling with the game, which affected me socially and emotionally.