2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

From Ping i230 to........?

jtj74

I have been playing i230 this year and like them a lot for the most part. The ONLY thing I would like is better turf interaction. I feel like they bounce a bit too much. I have played Cobra MIM prior and before those I played ZX7s and Wilson Staff V6. I'm getting old and felt like I needed a little more help with a bit of forgiveness, hence the i230s. 

What have those of you that loved the performance of i230s but didn't care for the turf interaction moved on to? 

I had the i525, went to the i230, a month later I went back to the i525.

The i525 is a seriously underrated iron, notably more forgiving for my misses (slightly thin and/or slightly towards the heel).  The i230s just fell out of the air with that miss and I would lose 15-20 yards and that was just unplayable for me given kid and work and my practice being minimal at the absolute most.  Gave up the idea of hitting working shots and instead just hit my 5 yard draw with the i525 and give up trying to flight cuts into things, lol.  

• Like 4
Aerojet LS 9* - Aerojet LS 14.5* - Baffler 17.5* - Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

6 minutes ago, golfheaven69 said:

Rarely have I attended a fitting and bought the club I was most interested in going in to the fitting. You have to hit four or five different models to see what fits best. 

Thats how I ended up in the Ping. I went in with my mind set on Mizuno Pro 223. I hit a quite a few and the fitter had it down to the 223 or i230. We settled in i230 based on very minute gains in dispersion but it was off mats. Once I had them out on the course I found I really liked them but on firm turf the tend to bounce off the ground a bit too much. 

Pxg CB. If you like ping irons, the only logical step would be to PXG. I just can't recommend anything else once someone says they like their pings. To me, ping irons are completely different than any other irons. Satin finish, white bottom line, more Squarish, more bounce, high vcog, not super soft but GREAT feeling. On paper, I'm sure there are other irons to try. But pxg uses similar engineering to Ping and all the things I love about ping, pxg does in their own way. I personally LOVE the white bottom line on the grooves and squarish looks. Moving to the CB was one of the best things I did this year. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, golfheaven69 said:

Rarely have I attended a fitting and bought the club I was most interested in going in to the fitting. You have to hit four or five different models to see what fits best. 

Same went into a fitting, expecting x,y or z for my irons and walked out with a set of PXG's. They worked best for me. 

OP really suggest you do a fitting just to try out everything or maybe wait for the Blueprint S irons to be released? 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

2 hours ago, jtj74 said:

I have been playing i230 this year and like them a lot for the most part. The ONLY thing I would like is better turf interaction. I feel like they bounce a bit too much. I have played Cobra MIM prior and before those I played ZX7s and Wilson Staff V6. I'm getting old and felt like I needed a little more help with a bit of forgiveness, hence the i230s. 

What have those of you that loved the performance of i230s but didn't care for the turf interaction moved on to? 

check your ball position with your irons. it might be too far forward across the board.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, toastinato said:

Pxg CB. If you like ping irons, the only logical step would be to PXG. I just can't recommend anything else once someone says they like their pings. To me, ping irons are completely different than any other irons. Satin finish, white bottom line, more Squarish, more bounce, high vcog, not super soft but GREAT feeling. On paper, I'm sure there are other irons to try. But pxg uses similar engineering to Ping and all the things I love about ping, pxg does in their own way. I personally LOVE the white bottom line on the grooves and squarish looks. Moving to the CB was one of the best things I did this year. 

I moved from the I230 into the 0317CB and couldn't be happier.  Literally nothing I miss about the I230 since making the switch.  

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade BRNR 9.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 13.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 19.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Irons:  PXG 0317 CB 4-GW KBS Tour 130X

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 54S Modus 125W

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 58S Modus 125W

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

Underrated for sure, but one to try is the Cobra King Tours.  Good forgiveness, great through the turf, a little wider sole, but doesn't bounce like the Ping's

Ping G430 Max 10.5, VA Nemesis 55 four

Ping G430 5-18, VA Vylyn 65 four

Ping G430 4H, 5H, 6H, Alta 70S

Titleist T150, KBS Tour R+, 6-pw

Titleist SM10 Nickel, 48F,54D,& 58D Black Onyx wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom 11L

Pro V 1X or Z-Star XV

15 minutes ago, jblough99 said:

I moved from the I230 into the 0317CB and couldn't be happier.  Literally nothing I miss about the I230 since making the switch.  

Yup. I mean there are so many great irons. But I can't see how you could love a ping iron and NOT go to pxg CB if you're looking for smaller. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johan93 said:

im very surprised more tour pros havent switched into i230, i understand Hovland has been on a hot streak so he doesnt feel any need to switch right now

I think Hovland casts an inaccurate shadow on the i230s in terms of their popularity on the tours. He's been in the spotlight because of his incredible play but he's really sticking to what he's comfortable with. No one ever talks about how he hasn't moved into the G430 range for his driver. Some tour players switch to new stuff quickly, and others take their time (e.g., Hovland, Morikawa, Wyndham Clark).

Here are some rough counts:

PGA

Tano Goya full set
Tyrell 3-6, previously full set
Nate Lashley full set
David Lingmerth full set
Alex Smalley 4-5, previously full set    
Trevor Werbylo full set

DP World - 8 or so with some mixed i230s sets

Couple sets on Champions

We should also keep in mind that the S55/OG Blueprint players on Ping staff aren't going to magically jump to a progressive player's cavity like the i2xx-series.

The i230s are crazy good. They go so high and straight it's unreal, and they're one of the softest Ping irons I've tried. I've hit several towering draws into uphill 190 yd+ par 3s at my course that just stopped dead near the pitch mark. I don't think I could get that kind of height and control in the 5 and 6 irons with my ZX7s.

To the OP, I would work on getting a touch more down into the ball with the i230s before jumping ship. Another option would be to wait until the Blueprint S arrives and test those. They seem to be picking up a lot of steam on the various tours.

Edited by ^m9
clarity
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

TITLEIST TSR2 TENSEI AV BLUE XLINK 65S

3w broken

PING G430 3H 4H TOUR 2.0 CHROME 85S

PING i230 5-PW MODUS 115S

TITLEIST SM9 50F 54D 58D S200

LAB DF3 BLK, 73°, 35", Heavy

42 minutes ago, ^m9 said:

I think Hovland casts an inaccurate shadow on the i230s in terms of their popularity on the tours. He's been in the spotlight because of his incredible play but he's really sticking to what he's comfortable with. No one ever talks about how he hasn't moved into the G430 range for his driver. Some tour players switch to new stuff quickly, and others take their time (e.g., Hovland, Morikawa, Wyndham Clark).

Here are some rough counts:

PGA

Tano Goya full set
Tyrell 3-6, previously full set
Nate Lashley full set
David Lingmerth full set
Alex Smalley 4-5, previously full set    
Trevor Werbylo full set

DP World - 8 or so with some mixed i230s sets

Couple sets on Champions

We should also keep in mind that the S55/OG Blueprint players on Ping staff aren't going to magically jump to a progressive player's cavity like the i-series.

The i230s are crazy good. They go so high and straight it's unreal, and they're one of the softest Ping irons I've tried. I've hit several towering draws into uphill 190 yd+ par 3s at my course that just stopped dead near the pitch mark. I don't think I could get that kind of height and control in the 5 and 6 irons with my ZX7s.

To the OP, I would work on getting a touch more down into the ball with the i230s before jumping ship. Another option would be to wait until the Blueprint S arrives and test those. They seem to be picking up a lot of steam on the various tours.

A ping engineer just commented on hovland and the i210s.  The i210 launches high and spins more than the i230.  Hovland needs the extra height and spin.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

A ping engineer just commented on hovland and the i210s.  The i210 launches high and spins more than the i230.  Hovland needs the extra height and spin.  

There you go. Iirc, many on this site said the 230s are spinny and short. Every player is different in their AoA, speed, and other dynamics.

• Like 2

TITLEIST TSR2 TENSEI AV BLUE XLINK 65S

3w broken

PING G430 3H 4H TOUR 2.0 CHROME 85S

PING i230 5-PW MODUS 115S

TITLEIST SM9 50F 54D 58D S200

LAB DF3 BLK, 73°, 35", Heavy

I wouldn't sleep on the new Apex Cb's strictly bc the pre-worn leading edge could be a great fit.  The CB thread is full of people loving the turf interaction and you could combo the Pros in the longer irons. T100s-T150 have great soles. The new Blueprint S soles look great, but we are talking a feb release... I know these are all players irons, but you may find good success and distance from better contact.  

The new P790's have slimmed down if you are looking for more pop and a pretty sleek design.

Edited by Avidswampthing66

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ Ventus Blue +

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

24 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

24 Apex Pro 4 Iron

24 Callaway JDM X -Forged 5-PW  Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S ,54W, 58Z

Butter Putter

Chrome Tour X

10 hours ago, jtj74 said:

You can always ask the WRX dept to grind the soles for you. Not sure if they would, but wouldn’t hurt to ask.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip