USGA and R&A Announce golf ball rollback for everyone!?!?!

NoCalHack

I’m slowly aging here like everyone else and I’m going to be honest and say i’m really not too worried about it. Club manufacturers will keep working to squeeze out every last yard, courses will  move tees up a few yards and I think that for the vast majority of people they won’t really even notice the change. The elite amateurs and touring pros will notice it, but at that level they will make the adjustments and I don’t think you’ll see any dramatic changes in scoring.

What I think it does is allow courses to not have to stretch those extra yards, change angles, etc… in order to keep hazards and playing lines in place. And that to me is a good thing. 

Obviously no right or wrong, but thats my $.02 anyway. Thanks and make lots of birdies!

• Like 3

The problem is this roll back or pause should have been implemented about 20 years ago, the governing bodies dropped the "ball" and should have seen the big games from development of solid core balls. They allowed for the increases due to a number of factors, mostly better ways of measuring and pushing stuff, it's really about optimization. 

If this makes golf less fun for me I will play less and spend less as would others which isn't what golf wants. Hopefully it turns into a new equipment race for manufacturers and it will minimize damage to amateurs like myself.

I am quick for an Am and would be on the low end for tour guys (112-115 mph driver speed) and if my drives go from 295 average to 280 I wouldn't like it much, though it would be give me a bigger edge on my 6800 yard course as the 100-105 guys (we have alot of sub 5 caps at my club in that speed), they would have to move up or hit a lot of hybrids/woods into par 4s which would mean less people from the back tees and less people in the club C. Now that I think about it this puts more pressure on AMs if there is a 5% reduction in distance. Say you average 250 on the drive, a 450 par 4 is already tough leaving a hybrid or wood in, if you knock off 12 yards it's a layup or maybe a 3/4 wood in, where the 290 guy now goes from an 8 iron to maybe a 6 iron in. 

• Like 1

Ping 430 LST 9* set to 7.5*  ventus TR blue 6x

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎3+ Kai'li 70x

Ping g425 max 7 wood set to 19* w Ventus TR blue 8X

Srixon ZX utility 23* Ventus Black 9tx

Srixon ZX-7 5-AW, Project X 6.5 LZ

Cleveland RTX mid bounce 56 and 60 DG S400

Odyssey metal x milled 2-ball mid, 

Srixon Z-Star 💎

11 minutes ago, bomberman said:

If this makes golf less fun for me I will play less and spend less as would others which isn't what golf wants. Hopefully it turns into a new equipment race for manufacturers and it will minimize damage to amateurs like myself.

I'm confident in the ability of the engineering geniuses in R&D to find a way to increase distance dramatically again in ways that will cost golfer's a fortune to put into play.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, iknowbagu said:

Distance has become the biggest red herring in golf. Distance is not now, nor ever has been, the problem. 

The biggest issue with golf today is course design and layout. Remember when golf used to be about strategically getting your ball from A to B? What happened to actual shot making? Now the game is simply hit it as hard as you can from A regardless of what's out there on the way to B. There's little to no penalty for wayward shots. 

Stop designing / laying out courses to promote "bomb and gouge".

Tighten up the fairways. 

Make the rough rough. (Stop over seeding, stop watering, stop mowing so much.)

Make hazards hazardous. (How many of us now almost aim at greenside bunkers as a bail out? I know I do. With as manicured as they are these days it's a much more predictable lie than the rough a lot of the time. While we're at it, get rid of rakes, foot smooth only.) 

Remember dog legs? Especially dog legs where it's less than driver to the bend? Yeah, me either. 

Remember trees? Tree lined fairways even? (Straw poll - In recent memory, how many of your home courses have removed trees vs planted new trees? I'm willing to bet 10:1, at least)

Best part about making these types of changes to the course is there is zero cost involved. OEMs don't have to put money into R&D. Consumers don't have to buy new equipment. And with as valuable and limited as land is becoming, you won't need to build courses at 8000 yards. All the architects have to do is just make them challenging and interesting at 6000 instead. 

And I'm not even going to get into the hypocrisy of telling us all to move up a set of tees for the last 10+ years just to try and nerf the ball.

/rant

terrible ideas. Most actually promote bomb and gouge.  Trees are expensive to grow and maintain and compete with grass for resources. Not a good option. 

54 minutes ago, bomberman said:

If there is a 5% reduction in distance. Say you average 250 on the drive, a 450 par 4 is already tough leaving a hybrid or wood in, if you knock off 12 yards it's a layup or maybe a 3/4 wood in, where the 290 guy now goes from an 8 iron to maybe a 6 iron in. 

Just think of all the new instruction articles and YouTube videos we'll get! Like "How to hit a 3-wood approach shot into the green".

Edited by Double Mocha Man

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

28 minutes ago, klebs01 said:

Most actually promote bomb and gouge.

Um, I know, and that was my point. Stop promoting bomb and gouge. Design challenging 375 yard par 4s with character instead of boring, cookie cutter 450 yard par 4s.

Cobra RadSpeed (9°) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour (13.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour (17.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP (16°) - Aldila RIP 85X

Titleist U500 (2) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 95X

Titleist 620CB (3-6) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist 620MB (7-9) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 (48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

57 minutes ago, Louis_Posture said:

Distance is not a problem.

What difference does it make if Dustin Johnson is hitting a wedge into a hole that 60 years ago Byron Nelson hit a 5-iron?

What difference does it make if players shoot 58 instead of 68?

The USGA and R&A are trying to find a problem where there is none.

There are a lot of different problems that you can solve with a ball roll back.  Personally I find bomb and gouge boring to watch.  But, there are three reasons as a golfer why I'm good with the ball being rolled back...

1) Hopefully this will make golf cheaper or at least keep the prices cheaper than they would be otherwise.  Rolling the ball back means that a golf course needs less space to keep the same level of challenge so there's less to maintain which should save money on equipment and man hours for course work.  An additional benefit is that more golf courses might become financially viable so there won't be as many course closings and more choice is better for the golfer.

2) Shorter courses and/or people playing from shorter tees to accommodate the "new" ball will hopefully make the game faster to play.  Plus, a ball that doesn't go as far overall won't go as far offline, so there might be less time spent looking for lost balls.

3) Courses that can't expand won't become obsolete (or will become fun to play again).  The course I grew up playing on is a short par 70 golf course, maxing out at 6000 yards.  Since pretty much every hole is surrounded by streets or houses, there's no room to expand.  When I was in high school hitting balata balls and the great big bertha driver, the course could be challenging.  I went back and played it about 10 years later using a pro v1 and a Titleist 983E and it was kinda boring... it basically played as a par 66 (or less) since both par 5s became reachable with with driver/mid-iron and on multiple pars 4s it was possible to easily hit it past all the trouble and have a short pitch into the green.  As I've moved around to different areas, when I look for new courses I generally stay away from playing a course that maxes out less than 6500 because that means to make it interesting and hit a variety of clubs for my approach shots, I'll probably never hit driver (like I said, I find bomb and gouge boring).  A shorter ball means that courses that are currently too short for me will become more fun to play, so I'll have more options.

• Like 3

Titleist TSR4, 7.25*, Aldila Rogue Black 95 MSI 70 S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/12 (bent to 53*) Raw & 58/10 Black, DG Spinner
Piretti Potenza 1.5
Ball - Titleist AVX Yellow

57 minutes ago, Snowman9000 said:

I’m pretty sure that some current soft 2 piece balls already meet the new standard.  Not that this would matter on GolfWRX. 😀

My thought exactly.  Are the roll back balls going to be worse than Supersofts?  I would think it hits the bombers worse.  It is nothing I don't adjust to every winter.  

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra LTDX 9 degree; HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black

Fairway Wood: Taylormade M6 15 degree

Titleist u510 2 iron

Srixon ZX5 4-PW; ACCRA iSteel 115

Wedges Vokey SM9 58/54/48

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 2 

1 minute ago, klebs01 said:

your ideas on how to fix things promote bomb and gouge. 

OK, my misunderstanding then. I thought your "most" meant courses, not my ideas. 

But now I'll ask, how so? If you make the punishment worse for being off target, wouldn't the premium then become being on target rather than just bombing away? 

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

2 hours ago, dgarland said:

Here's the article: https://www.golfdigest.com/story/usga-ra-rollback-announcement-december-2023

Making the ball shorter will do more to shrink the game than anything they could possibly do.  This is absolute lunacy.  If you read the article there is a part that says this isn't for recrational golfers but if that's the case I have no idea whe the word "universal" is used in the headline.  Thoughts?

Wouldn’t be surprised. The bow ties at the usga have been ruining the recreational game for decades. Hopefully someone with an ounce of intelligence in NJ realizes that the answer has been there the whole time. Condition of competition has been on the books for decades. It’s simple, have different equipment rules for professionals and elite amateurs than recreational players. They are just hardheaded and refusing to enact bifurcation. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

10 minutes ago, iknowbagu said:

OK, my misunderstanding then. I thought your "most" meant courses, not my ideas. 

But now I'll ask, how so? If you make the punishment worse for being off target, wouldn't the premium then become being on target rather than just bombing away? 

if you line the fairways with trees or narrow the fairways, then there really isn’t a point to laying up. Golfers are sufficiently more accurate with shorter clubs to offset the increase in distance for their approach shots. I was a member at a course like that for a while. Tried different things and mapped out the course.  The best option really was bomb and gouge and then just take your medicine when in the trees. 

34 minutes ago, grochol17 said:

.  As I've moved around to different areas, when I look for new courses I generally stay away from playing a course that maxes out less than 6500 because that means to make it interesting and hit a variety of clubs for my approach shots

At shorter length courses (or a long course from the forward tee boxes)  I find playing fairway woods , hybrids, or irons off the par 4 and par 5 tee boxes makes approach shots more interesting and fun to play.

2 hours ago, dgarland said:

If you were charged with devising a plan to destroy the game of golf... you couldn't come up with anything better than this.  Great job governing bodies of golf.  You all should be banished to the far reaches of the earth.  

It certainly isn't a great follow-up to the still ongoing drama of the LIV/PIF issues.

37 minutes ago, klebs01 said:

if you line the fairways with trees or narrow the fairways, then there really isn’t a point to laying up. Golfers are sufficiently more accurate with shorter clubs to offset the increase in distance for their approach shots. I was a member at a course like that for a while. Tried different things and mapped out the course.  The best option really was bomb and gouge and then just take your medicine when in the trees. 

Fair, and agreed, as courses are presently laid out.

But what if (and I'm just pulling arbitrary numbers here) instead of the rough/trees/hazards resulting in +0.25 or +0.33 shots per missed fairway/green, they resulted in +0.50 or +0.67? Wouldn't shot selection (and execution, of course) ultimately become more valuable as the punishment goes up on misses?

Obviously that tipping point would be different for everyone, but regardless of the exact point, moving it would achieve the desired result without a rollback. And I'd argue that version of the game would be significantly more interesting. Skill and course management would begin to outweigh pure power. 

• Like 3

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

12 minutes ago, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

But asking 99.9999% of the rest of golfers to suffer because your Tour/Club/Regulatory Body is too cheap to subsidize a special ball for those few courses and tournaments, is garbage.

Now that would be the best solution.

• Like 2

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

2 hours ago, iknowbagu said:

Distance has become the biggest red herring in golf. Distance is not now, nor ever has been, the problem. 

The biggest issue with golf today is course design and layout. Remember when golf used to be about strategically getting your ball from A to B? What happened to actual shot making? Now the game is simply hit it as hard as you can from A regardless of what's out there on the way to B. There's little to no penalty for wayward shots. 

Stop designing / laying out courses to promote "bomb and gouge".

Tighten up the fairways. 

Make the rough rough. (Stop over seeding, stop watering, stop mowing so much.)

Make hazards hazardous. (How many of us now almost aim at greenside bunkers as a bail out? I know I do. With as manicured as they are these days it's a much more predictable lie than the rough a lot of the time. While we're at it, get rid of rakes, foot smooth only.) 

Remember dog legs? Especially dog legs where it's less than driver to the bend? Yeah, me either. 

Remember trees? Tree lined fairways even? (Straw poll - In recent memory, how many of your home courses have removed trees vs planted new trees? I'm willing to bet 10:1, at least)

Best part about making these types of changes to the course is there is zero cost involved. OEMs don't have to put money into R&D. Consumers don't have to buy new equipment. And with as valuable and limited as land is becoming, you won't need to build courses at 8000 yards. All the architects have to do is just make them challenging and interesting at 6000 instead. 

And I'm not even going to get into the hypocrisy of telling us all to move up a set of tees for the last 10+ years just to try and nerf the ball.

/rant

I could not agree with your post more than I do!

I miss the style of golf that I grew up playing, with tree-lined fairways that turned once or even twice before opening up to a shot at the green, a two feet wide section of first cut and everything beyond that is brutal to hit out of.  You were penalized for making bad decisions or failing to execute when you were aggressive.  I miss hitting 2 iron off of a tight par 5 to make sure I didn't run through the open area that allowed for a shot at laying up to the 100 yard marker.  Having to execute three great shots to have a chance at birdie. 

A couple of years ago, my family and I moved to Florida and although I love having 2000 golf courses and sunshine 10 months a year, I absolutely hate that every course is a resort style course that is completely flat and no penalty at all for swinging as hard as you can off of every tee box.

Bring back rolling hills, trees, rough, reasonable sized fairways, and fast greens.  Checkers will never be as fun as chess for anyone capable of critical thinking

Edited by Golfinfloridaafter40
  • Like 4

Titleist TSR3 - Hzrdus T1100 Hulk

Sub 70 949 Pro Hybrid 19 and 22* - Recoil Dart 95x

Srixon ZX7 - MMT's 105TX SSx1

Sub 70 JB Forged 48*, 52*, 56*, 60*- MMT Scoring

PXG Gen2 Mini Gunboat

25 minutes ago, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

This is a Pro problem, for some Pro courses. Make them find a solution or stop getting butthurt that Touring Pros can abuse St. Andrews these days. 

But asking 99.9999% of the rest of golfers to suffer because your Tour/Club/Regulatory Body is too cheap to subsidize a special ball for those few courses and tournaments, is garbage.

The USGA/RA proposed a local rule saying the PGAtour and other pro tours could use the shorter ball and the Tour said no way.  We're not going to use the short ball.  So, the USGA/RA said fine, we'll roll it back for everyone.  

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, iknowbagu said:

Fair, and agreed, as courses are presently laid out.

But what if (and I'm just pulling arbitrary numbers here) instead of the rough/trees/hazards resulting in +0.25 or +0.33 shots per missed fairway/green, they resulted in +0.50 or +0.67? Wouldn't shot selection (and execution, of course) ultimately become more valuable as the punishment goes up on misses?

Obviously that tipping point would be different for everyone, but regardless of the exact point, moving it would achieve the desired result without a rollback. And I'd argue that version of the game would be significantly more interesting. Skill and course management would begin to outweigh pure power. 

I agree with the bunker proposal. Those should be more penal. Trees and narrow fairways just make driving distance more important. Wider, wilder fairways, strategic bunkers, and firmer more sloped greens and surrounds making angles matter are all good options. Lot more expensive than changing the ball and still requires more than a wedge coming in to really matter. 

1 hour ago, Ger21 said:

Distance has nothing to do with the price of golf. This past year, all my local courses raised their prices 10%-15%. Because the cost of everything has gone up.

Costs at the big golf resorts are through the roof, due to supply and demand. A lot of people would need to stop playing golf for prices to change.

Nobody will be moving up a tee when the "new ball" arrives. And even if they did, do you really think hitting 1-2 clubs less into a green will speed up someone that normally takes 5 hours to play?

I've been playing 40 years, and have yet to see a course become obsolete. And I've never seen a course near me (50+ courses within an hour) expand, unless they are hosting high level tournaments.

98% of the golfing public does not have this "problem".

Absolutely spot on!

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 10*
Titleist TSi3 16.5*

Titleist 818H1 21*

Titleist T150/100 (5-PW)
Vokey SM9 54*, 60*
Piretti Cottonwood II