2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

AVX vs Left Dash

dugue4

My ball spins way too much off the tee and I was looking at swapping to the AVX (I know its changing soon) or the left dash.  With the possible change coming, should I steer towards the left dash instead?  The feel of the ball is low priority for me.  Driver swing speed is 105ish if that matters.

Second edit - I'm not dead set on those two balls, so if anyone has another suggestion, I'm all ears.

Edited by dugue4
words

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics 722E

5w - Sub 70 949X

4H - Ping G425

4-UW Ping i210s

56*, 60* - Sub 70 286

Putter - Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Ball - Vice Pro Zero / Bridgestone Tour B XS

I did a Titleist fitting about a year ago and I found that the left dash flew much higher than the AVX.  Since I already have a high ball flight, the left dash was a no go for me.  Interestingly, the AVX and Pro V1 were almost the same ball in my fitting... the AVX was a tiny bit lower flight and a little lower spin, so technically it was the better fit, but the Titleist rep said I could easily play either and not see much of a difference.  On course, I've found this to be true.  Other than the AVX feeling softer and the Pro V1 spinning a fraction more on short game shots, I can't really tell them apart. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4, 8*, Motore X F1 7S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/10 & 58/10 Raw, DG X7
Mizuno OMOI 2 Blue Ion
Ball - Titleist Pro V1X left dash

Both balls are low spin, however like @grochol17stated, left dash launches higher than the AVX.  I'm not a fan of the AVX because it feels like a marshmallow whereas left dash is very firm which I prefer. 

• Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

AVX right now is lower and softer.

Left Dash is higher and firmer. 

Apparently AVX is firm off the putter according to Ping, I guess has to do with layers. 

Other low spin would be Chrome Soft XLS or whatever their current Chrome Tour will be, Srixon Z-Star XV, Bridgestone Tour B RX. 

I've been on a lower spin hunt and the Left Dash has been my favorite, I even find the regular ProV1 to be decent. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Most of the time I play DASH-ProV1x, been a few years now; I spin the ball more than most.  It's the longest ball of the three I have in the bag.  I split the time using ProV1x as it feels nice off my irons.   I tested Callaways LS ball, but it didn't pass feel muster for me, no other practical reason why.  

The perfect ball that works equally well off driver and irons, doesn't exist for me.  DASH is the next best thing...  Followed by ProV1x then AVX is a good ball; it's just a smidgen too soft, but I keep two in the bag for ugly weather.  

DASH -ProV1x = Extra Firm compression at 102ish

ProV1x = Firm compression is 97-100

AVX = softest of the three, compression 80

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Fujikura Pro 95i Tour S
  • T100 (2023) 3i & 4i MMT 95S, T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SM10 F46.10, MCI Wedge 105 Mild
  • F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or new AVX

2 hours ago, DFS PFD said:

I'm guessing AVX will suit you better at those swing speeds, -Pro-v1x seems to work better for high swing speed players. You have until at least 2028 to worry about any USGA changes to the golf ball so just remove that from your thought process for now. 

The changes I was referring to was the 2024 avx changes.  And is 105 not a high swing speed?

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics 722E

5w - Sub 70 949X

4H - Ping G425

4-UW Ping i210s

56*, 60* - Sub 70 286

Putter - Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Ball - Vice Pro Zero / Bridgestone Tour B XS

45 minutes ago, dugue4 said:

The changes I was referring to was the 2024 avx changes.  And is 105 not a high swing speed?

105 isn't slow, but it's not fast either.  It's in between, IMO.  You're pretty much on the border of S and X flex.  I consider 110+ fast for ams. 

• Like 1

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

20 hours ago, dugue4 said:

My ss is 107 mph and the fitter said he would have suggested the left dash for me if I needed the higher ball flight.  I don't think you need to worry about being "too slow" for the left dash... it's really a matter of what you're looking for.  If feel doesn't matter to you, go left dash if you like hitting the ball higher and go AVX if you prefer a lower flight.

Mizuno OMOI 2 Blue Ion

On 12/8/2023 at 1:29 PM, dugue4 said:

And is 105 not a high swing speed?

IMO 105 is average.

I can't say what my Driver SS is, I carry the ball 245ish; my iron SS is 85+/-, depending on my joints. 🤔 I don't believe choosing a ball is as much about SS as how the ball feels and behaves down range off Driver and irons.  But we all have different thoughts on the matter.  If feel isn't an issue for you, then you're left with numbers.  That means, you'll need to use a LM for a few hours with different balls to find optimum numbers.

PS Yesterday had DASH -ProV1x in play; hit some great shots; it's harder compression for sure.  But for sh** and giggles used an AVX on one hole where I used 2 iron off the tee; hit it straight but was hardly noticeable, and I nutted it.     

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • SC/CA Monterey

5 hours ago, DFS PFD said:

No, 105 isn't fast. High swing speed is 120+ IMO, no one talks about the "high swing speed" of the guy hitting it 250. 

120+ ss is fast for pros and elite ams.  For the rest of us hackers, 110+ is fast, IMO.  It's all about perspective. 

• Like 4

On 12/8/2023 at 11:01 AM, dugue4 said:

My ball spins way too much off the tee and I was looking at swapping to the AVX (I know its changing soon) or the left dash.  With the possible change coming, should I steer towards the left dash instead?  The feel of the ball is low priority for me.  Driver swing speed is 105ish if that matters.

Second edit - I'm not dead set on those two balls, so if anyone has another suggestion, I'm all ears.

I'm in the same boat, 106 SS. I love the AVX and for me its the same if not a little longer off the driver.

I still have a stash of the left dash bc it was my ball all year. But there is no arguing it is *significantly* harder feeling off the irons than the AVX is. And that part comes down to personal preference.

IMO buy a sleeve of each and go out and drop them around the course, play different shots. IMO it will take you just a few holes to make your choice.

• Like 1

OG SIM 10.5 - Mitsubishi Vanquish 5x

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

I got new irons, that basically have a full club more loft than my old irons.  I’ve always played the prov1x but I’m getting less distance and more spin with theses new iron.  Thought I’d go to the PROV1 to lower ball flight and spin but I really didn’t want to lower my Driver hight.  So I grabbed a dozen left dash last week.   It’s just 1 round but it felt like I was almost back to my old distances.  Definitely getting more from these balls than the x and has plenty of spin.  Driver seemed fine but I worry I don’t have the swing speed for I high compression ball, only swinging 100-105.  

curious if anyone with average swing speed is using these balls and likes them?

3 hours ago, TWGator said:

I got new irons, that basically have a full club more loft than my old irons.  I’ve always played the prov1x but I’m getting less distance and more spin with theses new iron.  Thought I’d go to the PROV1 to lower ball flight and spin but I really didn’t want to lower my Driver hight.  So I grabbed a dozen left dash last week.   It’s just 1 round but it felt like I was almost back to my old distances.  Definitely getting more from these balls than the x and has plenty of spin.  Driver seemed fine but I worry I don’t have the swing speed for I high compression ball, only swinging 100-105.  

My driver swing speed is 85-90. Long time Pro V1X user until my son gave me a sleeve of the left dash. Without question, it is a good 5-10 yards longer for me off the driver with a lower ball flight. Up to maybe a half club longer with the irons. And no appreciable difference in spin around the greens. 

Playing today and going to hit the AVX. Really curious to see how it compares. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, North Texas said:

My driver swing speed is 85-90. Long time Pro V1X user until my son gave me a sleeve of the left dash. Without question, it is a good 5-10 yards longer for me off the driver with a lower ball flight. Up to maybe a half club longer with the irons. And no appreciable difference in spin around the greens. 

Playing today and going to hit the AVX. Really curious to see how it compares. 

My issue with the AVX was around the green, felt like balls always rolled out farther than I wanted.  I switched to the X and spin was way better, I’m hoping the left dash is at least close to the same as the X around the green

My SS is 110-112, I have used the -PV1X for most of last season, switched between the ZS Diamond and the CSXLS, from my experience and preference the AVX is a bit too soft for my liking, the -PV1X is firmer with better performance for my swing, it spins less than the regular PV1X (500-700 less rpms), still is high spinning just not as much, recently I played the regular PV1 and had great results, softer than the -PV1X, lower spin and launch (I don't have an issue with the lower spin on launch, just enjoy the softer feel), still can spin it back with scoring clubs, very similar distances with both, all in all is up to preference and also swing speed

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway AI Smole TD 15*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway AI Smoke TD 20*, Denali Black 70g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago and White Hot Pro V-Line as back ups)
BALL: Callaway CT (current gamer), Srixon Z-Star Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

5 hours ago, TWGator said:

Personally, I haven't found a ball that is fantastic off my irons and fantastic off my Driver.   AVX and ProV1 are very similar, for similar SS, and maybe more suited for my SS, don't know.  ProV1x and Dash-ProV1x firm feel has been more to my liking. 

My SS is pretty average, only my Tempo is fast, and I hit the ball hard, creating greater spin.  Thus, been getting the best results from DASH.  In the past, my only problem with ProV1 was it felt soft, but not as soft as AVX.  It's been a while since using a ProV1 so this weekend I'll put one in play and see.  

• Like 1
  • SC/CA Monterey

I played my first round ever today using the AVX. First, as a long time user of the Pro V1X, it was a little surprising to me how soft the AVX felt.

Off the driver, I noticed very little difference in distance between it and the Pro1X. As noted above, the Left Dash is longer for me than both. 

With the irons, there seemed to be the occasional iron that flew farther but this was not a consistent pattern at all. And there was a noticeable difference around the green as I expected with more release and run out on chip shots. 

Honestly, it didn't deliver what I thought it would, especially off the driver. However, I am planning on giving it another full round before I come to a final conclusion. Hopefully tomorrow. 

Edited by North Texas

11 hours ago, TWGator said:

My issue with the AVX was around the green, felt like balls always rolled out farther than I wanted.  I switched to the X and spin was way better, I’m hoping the left dash is at least close to the same as the X around the green

AVX spin is much improved with the most recent version.  Some of the online ball tests show it's only slightly lower spin than the Pro V1.  About 200 RPM less than the Pro V1 at 35 yards, about 400 RPM less with a mid-iron.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TS2 21*, Fujikura Atmos HB TS 8S

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

7 hours ago, North Texas said:

Honestly, it didn't deliver what I thought it would, especially off the driver.

Just for comparison sake, what is your driver SS?

I have some Trackman time coming tomorrow and I have the RCT version of the Left Dash and AVX. Hope to do a full test with the driver.

• Like 1

OG SIM 10.5 - Mitsubishi Vanquish 5x

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

3 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

Just for comparison sake, what is your driver SS?

I have some Trackman time coming tomorrow and I have the RCT version of the Left Dash and AVX. Hope to do a full test with the driver.

85-90 SS with driver. 

I'm comparing both the AVX and Left Dash to the Pro V1X which I have used exclusively for the past 10-12 years. For me, the Left Dash was 5-10 yards longer than the V1X while the AVX was about the same as the V1X or maybe just a tad longer at best. I thought with the little lower spin, little lower ball flight, and little flatter descent angle of the AVX that it would be close to the same as the Left Dash. 

All of that surprised me a little bit and is why I want to give the AVX some additional testing just in case my first day with it was just a one-off or something. 

12 hours ago, dwboston said:

AVX spin is much improved with the most recent version.  Some of the online ball tests show it's only slightly lower spin than the Pro V1.  About 200 RPM less than the Pro V1 at 35 yards, about 400 RPM less with a mid-iron.

I've posted this in other threads about the AVX, but from about 50y and in, including chip shots, I find that the tiny bit lower spin of the AVX isn't a big deal, at least compared to the Pro V1.  The way I describe it is that the Pro V1 will take one hop and then grab, but the AVX will take two hops and then grab.  I've played both this past season and, when I'm on the course only playing one ball at a time, I really can't tell the AVX and Pro V1 apart.

Mizuno OMOI 2 Blue Ion

3 hours ago, North Texas said:

85-90 SS with driver. 

I'm comparing both the AVX and Left Dash to the Pro V1X which I have used exclusively for the past 10-12 years. For me, the Left Dash was 5-10 yards longer than the V1X while the AVX was about the same as the V1X or maybe just a tad longer at best. I thought with the little lower spin, little lower ball flight, and little flatter descent angle of the AVX that it would be close to the same as the Left Dash. 

All of that surprised me a little bit and is why I want to give the AVX some additional testing just in case my first day with it was just a one-off or something. 

Isn't AVX good for windy condition especially in your zip code?

5 minutes ago, flushem said:

Isn't AVX good for windy condition especially in your zip code?

From personal experience, hit solidly, AVX, ProV1x and ProV1 each do fine in windy conditions.  Here in SOCA and the other states we visit wind  our friend... NOT. 🙂  

Where AVX excels is during colder temps, the reason I carry 2.  It's easier to compress, plus harder to flatten in cold weather.

• SC/CA Monterey

3 hours ago, grochol17 said:

The way I describe it is that the Pro V1 will take one hop and then grab, but the AVX will take two hops and then grab.  I've played both this past season and, when I'm on the course only playing one ball at a time, I really can't tell the AVX and Pro V1 apart

I say majority of the shots 50y and in you cant tell the difference in spin especially farther out like in the 50y range cause with that much club speed an urethane ball will spin a good amount with proper strike.

I do however notice them in the more delicate 5-15y chips where I am taking a big swing and trying to really deflect it with the face creating spin and not speed. The AVX feels like it slips a bit on those shots while a prov1 I can literally feel it sticking to the face imparting more spin. Kinda like playing tetherball with new ball and you get that good grip to hit some spinners against a worn slippery one where your hands just slides off. (No idea where that reference came from haha)

Not concrete on this but I think i read the urethane cover is slightly thicker on the ProV1 than AVX. Which makes sense to me cause short game spin has more to due with the urethane cover than the mantle and cores. 

• Like 2