2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

You hit the ball where you look. Eyeline

32 minutes ago, Nickb333 said:

So, for us dumb bass, which numbers are out to in & which are in to out? 

I believe nearly all launch monitors work the same. Assuming a golfer who plays right-handed, an in->out path will be positive. An out->in path will be negative. 

It's cleaner to say a left->right path will be positive, and a right->left path will be negative, as that applies equally to both left-handed and right-handed golfers. (And to me, who is left-handed but plays right-handed.)

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

4 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

I believe nearly all launch monitors work the same. Assuming a golfer who plays right-handed, an in->out path will be positive. An out->in path will be negative.

Yeah, both GEARS and the Foresight software report "out to in" and stuff like that. Drives me (mildly) nuts. So much wordier than a - or a + sign.

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

2 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

It's cleaner to say a left->right path will be positive, and a right->left path will be negative, as that applies equally to both left-handed and right-handed golfers. (And to me, who is left-handed but plays right-handed.)

Thank you. And sorry I somehow quoted the wrong post. 

I was asking about Monty holding that kids head. If I understand what you wrote, the kid was coming way inside to out. Monty held his head and produced an outside to in swing. 

if that’s correct, why would that be an improvement? Or am I missing the point? Again…

47 minutes ago, KD1 said:

I think the point was how Monte was able to use just the eye line to change the students swing path.

Correct.  I called out both swing paths…..and there’s nothing wrong with a slight outside in swing path.  Tons of good players do that.  In this scenario, -3 is way better than +6-11

Edited by MonteScheinblum
  • Like 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

PS-I have donated my time to charity hitting drives and “tips” from the pro.

On many any occasion someone will say, “I don’t want put in the effort to change my swing, but is there a quick fix for an OTT slice.”

Easy peasy.

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

2 hours ago, chollier986 said:

There’s an option for “numerical” report out for foresight to show +/- rather that “in to out/ out to in”

Oh, okay, great. Thank you. I don't use the software too often, mostly just look on the unit itself… and that doesn't have a setting to change it on the LCD display, IIRC.

5 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

On many any occasion someone will say, “I don’t want put in the effort to change my swing, but is there a quick fix for an OTT slice.”

Easy peasy.

My brother-in-law hits draws/hooks from an open stance and fades/slices from a closed one, partly because his eye line changes and partly because he "senses" the target being "out to the right" when he's open and "over there to the left" when he's closed, and swings in that direction.

I play better golf from a slightly open stance, too. But I can close it to hit a bigger hook, too, when I need to. I don't suddenly start hitting slices like my BIL. 😄 

Edited by iacas
Added quote/reply

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

42 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Correct.  I called out both swing paths…..and there’s nothing wrong with a slight outside in swing path.  Tons of good players do that.  In this scenario, -3 is way better than +6-11

Excellent. Thanks once again. And my apologies for misspelling your name Monte. 

I’m not very bright, but I’m a slow learner. 

25 minutes ago, rchang72 said:

When my head feels centered, my left eye is lower than my right. Might that contribute to generally out to in path? And should i touch my right ear to shoulder to fix this?

Likely part of the problem, but don’t over do it.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

On 1/15/2024 at 2:57 PM, MonteScheinblum said:

A fun moment just now that shows how much this works.  Look at swings 1-7. Inconsistent low point and 2 way miss.

Swing 8 I told him I could get him to make a left path without him swinging differently.  He laughed.  I held his head and tilted his eyeline left.

Swing 9 he tried on his own.

Swing 10 I held his head again and said, “I’ll give you a 1-3 in to out on this one.”

Its fun when the trackman makes you look smarter than you are

IMG_0963.jpeg

Reading @betarhoalphadelta’s post, it seems like his issue is slightly different since he’s adding the turn right as he moves away from the ball. But just like @betarhoalphadelta, this guy is also left eye dominant and can get wildly inconsistent at times. 

The issue was that the head was moving right on the backswing as the arms and hands got higher. It was like the left shoulder was taking the chin and head along for the ride back and forcing it to turn right at the top. Monte was showing this guy that he could control the path left or right by keeping his head from turning so much on the backswing.

Unlike @betarhoalphadelta, the fix wasn’t so easy for this student and it’s something that he’ll need to work on in order to correct the eyeline over time.

• 4 weeks later...

Was just working and had Golf Channel on in the background and they were commenting on Rory at the range at the Genesis. 

The announcers said eyeline has a huge effect on path. 

@MonteScheinblum Did the announcers come down to you for a lesson this week? 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

15 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Was just working and had Golf Channel on in the background and they were commenting on Rory at the range at the Genesis. 

The announcers said eyeline has a huge effect on path. 

@MonteScheinblum Did the announcers come down to you for a lesson this week? 😂

They steal my stuff all the time. 🤪

• Haha 3

BERTRAND RUSSELL

A comment and a question.

@MonteScheinblum thank you!!! I've been working with my coach on my swing for 3+ years now, with that effort it's improved tremendously in many aspects, but one thing that I've never been able to shake in all those years is swing direction that no matter what always creeps back to the 7-10 range. Anything plausible I would try, and just tillting my head and changing my eye-line instantly moved my swing direction from the 7 range to around 2. I even saw a -0.5.

TBH I was a bit angry at first. All those years of instruction, why did we never discuss this. My coach is great, he's always noticed when I "cheated" to fix my swing direction, and the instruction has always been valuable, but if this was one of the big causes and it's so un-obtrusive why didn't he notice?

So I recorded two swings, one as usual, and one with my head/eyeline in a way that feels more out to in. Talk about feel isn't real, I could not see any difference between the two side by side. On video my head change is so minute that honestly I had to double check if I was really looking at before/after. Obv. I'm not a professional so I shouldn't be always be able to tell the difference, but this feels so small that I can't really blame anyone for not noticing.

So I guess my question is... how? What do you see to even know that this may be a cause? Is it just experience on affect of swing path, something specific you look for? I'm honestly kind of amazed that something so subtle does work so well.

I'm a little bit afraid to lose this feeling, and hope I can ingrain it and be rid of these bad numbers forever, but so far so good. So thank you, this is just the kind of thing I need right now.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym TD -  Autoflex SF505X

3 Wood: Taylormade Sim2 Ti  - TourAD VR 7S

2 Srixon ZX Utility -  Mitsubishi MMT 105s

4 Hybrid: Titelist TSi2 - Kuro Kage 60s

PW-5:  Titelist T150 - Mitsubishi MMT 105s

Wedges: Titelist SM9 50,55,60  -  Mitsubishi MMT 105s

Putter: Evnroll ER2

1 hour ago, dodgyman said:

@MonteScheinblum thank you!!! I've been working with my coach on my swing for 3+ years now, with that effort it's improved tremendously in many aspects, but one thing that I've never been able to shake in all those years is swing direction that no matter what always creeps back to the 7-10 range. Anything plausible I would try, and just tillting my head and changing my eye-line instantly moved my swing direction from the 7 range to around 2. I even saw a -0.5.

TBH I was a bit angry at first. All those years of instruction, why did we never discuss this. My coach is great, he's always noticed when I "cheated" to fix my swing direction, and the instruction has always been valuable, but if this was one of the big causes and it's so un-obtrusive why didn't he notice?

So I recorded two swings, one as usual, and one with my head/eyeline in a way that feels more out to in. Talk about feel isn't real, I could not see any difference between the two side by side. On video my head change is so minute that honestly I had to double check if I was really looking at before/after. Obv. I'm not a professional so I shouldn't be always be able to tell the difference, but this feels so small that I can't really blame anyone for not noticing.

So I guess my question is... how? What do you see to even know that this may be a cause? Is it just experience on affect of swing path, something specific you look for? I'm honestly kind of amazed that something so subtle does work so well.

I'm a little bit afraid to lose this feeling, and hope I can ingrain it and be rid of these bad numbers forever, but so far so good. So thank you, this is just the kind of thing I need right now.

When you spend almost 4000 hours a year playing golf, studying the swing and GIVING LESSONS, for 40 years, you learn things and have insight that the casual golfer and swing nerd don’t.  

• Like 3

BERTRAND RUSSELL

2 hours ago, dodgyman said:

Glad this worked for you!

I'll PM you my payment details to offset the cost of my lesson since you're getting to freeload off it 😉

• Haha 4

20 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

When you spend almost 4000 hours a year playing golf, studying the swing and GIVING LESSONS, for 40 years, you learn things and have insight that the casual golfer and swing nerd don’t.  

I was golfing in a tournament with my friend Tom a few years ago and we were randomly paired with a couple of fellows who were not very good.  Tom was not having a good day that day and on the 14th tee one of the two guys who was shooting well over 100 with a really ugly hack of a swing gave him some advice I think it was to slow his backswing down or something.  The guy then said; "I may not swing very well but I know the golf swing!".  

I thought that was kind of funny...

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Nels55 said:

I was golfing in a tournament with my friend Tom a few years ago and we were randomly paired with a couple of fellows who were not very good.  Tom was not having a good day that day and on the 14th tee one of the two guys who was shooting well over 100 with a really ugly hack of a swing gave him some advice I think it was to slow his backswing down or something.  The guy then said; "I may not swing very well but I know the golf swing!".  

I thought that was kind of funny...

LOL, so true.  

BERTRAND RUSSELL

@MonteScheinblum One of the most unexpected things I've noticed after this fix, through a few range sessions and now even seeing it on the course over two rounds, is that it seems to have greatly reduced my toe-side miss. That was probably my most consistent miss before, and I'm hitting the center MUCH more reliably. 

Just wondering, as so many things in a golf swing are interrelated, whether there is a correlation due to either eyeline or in->out path with toe-side misses? In short, would it be EXPECTED that a fix like this would also reduce toe-side misses?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

@MonteScheinblum One of the most unexpected things I've noticed after this fix, through a few range sessions and now even seeing it on the course over two rounds, is that it seems to have greatly reduced my toe-side miss. That was probably my most consistent miss before, and I'm hitting the center MUCH more reliably. 

Just wondering, as so many things in a golf swing are interrelated, whether there is a correlation due to either eyeline or in->out path with toe-side misses? In short, would it be EXPECTED that a fix like this would also reduce toe-side misses?

Yes

• Like 1

BERTRAND RUSSELL

1 hour ago, JayMas said:

Still curious as to whether those that implemented changes here are literally changing where they are looking or just the tilt of their eye line?

For me it's pure tilt. At setup I focus to tilt just SLIGHTLY more neutral than I did before, but I just focus on not tilting my head AWAY in the takeaway. I don't change the focus of where I'm looking.

1 hour ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Yes

Thanks Monte. Appreciate it. First two rounds with this change my GIR% is trending higher. 

• Like 1