2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Bounce is Your Friend on Partial Wedge Shots and Engaging the Turf Prior to the Ball is a Good Thing When Hitting Them

We’re making a lot of jokes at the OP’s expense and he probably deserves some of it but the elephant in the room is the single biggest reason golfers don’t get better revolves around the word “feel.”

When I hear the phrase, “This feels weird,” I know I have a harder job in front of me.  

What we feel and what’s actually happening are almost never the same thing.  It’s why a lot of ams spin their wheels on the merry go round of feels with no context of what they’re actually trying to accomplish.  It’s why a context and videoing to rectify the difference between what you feel and what you actually do, is imperative in getting better.

If a certain move doesn’t make logical sense or feels weird to an individual, the incentive to buy in is very low, or in some cases, zero.  Doesn’t matter how much data, how many tour players endorse it or how many golfers succeed doing said move, people just won’t buy it.

In addition, the misinterpretation of 2D stills has for decades and still continues to drive bad narratives of what a good swing involves.  

So you have two choices, just like everything else in life’s. Open your mind or stagnate. 

• Like 4

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

First or one hundreth time I've heard this theory since 1968. 😴

Club Champion Custom Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*, Aldila Ascent 40 Gram, A Flex

Taylor Made Sim 2 Max 5-wood 18*, Ventus Blue 50 A
TXG Custom  SIM Max 7-wood, Accra FX 140 2.0 M2

TXG Custom Cobra Tech 5-hybrid, KBS TGI 75 R
TXG Custom PXG 0211 6-pw, 1* upright, Recoil E460 R
PXG 0211 GW, 50*, (new version), UST Recoil Dart R
TXG Custom Cleveland CBX 54*, Tour Issue DG Spinner 115 

Ping Glide 4.0 58*, Nippon 115 
TXG Custom Cobra Nova, KBS CT Tour Shaft

Maybe the OP hasn’t played much on grainy bermuda?  

I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt for a minute trying to share what works for him to maybe help others improve, but at some point he needs to exercise some self awareness.

Ok, minutes up.

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Driving Iron  Ping iCrossover 2i Ventus Blue 9x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

3 hours ago, Sean124 said:

I took a video of what I consider a “use the bounce” shot. It comes out high and lands soft, but doesn’t have much spin. 

I also guessed at the distance of OP’s fairway video and hit this about 70 yards. 

Modern camera are insane lol.  Nice vid

2 hours ago, Gsea said:

That was the whole idea I believe. Using the bounce on all shots is ridiculous.

It’s actually more beneficial to use bounce on an overclubbed wedge say 50 to 120 than it is chipping. If you think you’re accessing pins on tiered flags with that amount of compression you’ll have no chance. No offense but Whoever posted the video has a face release with an unplayable right hand roll so not even sure he could play the shot anyways.

so unless he was maxed out on yardage that isn’t a shot you’ll see pros hit

thats something even the “pros” here I don’t think will disagree with. 

Qi10 9 Ventus Blk 6x

Qi10 5w Ventus Blk 8x

p760 3i PX7.0

P730 4-9 PX7.0

MG4 46 50 54 59

Oworks 7s - TP5x

3 minutes ago, cav5 said:

It’s actually more beneficial to use bounce on an overclubbed wedge say 50 to 120 than it is chipping. If you think you’re accessing pins on tiered flags with that amount of compression you’ll have no chance. No offense but Whoever posted the video has a face release with an unplayable right hand roll so not even sure he could play the shot anyways.

I hit my lob wedge 100 yards. The one in the video went 70, right where I wanted it to go. 

Using the bounce at 120 yards? 😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

TSR2 8.0 Ventus TR Black 6-X

TSR2+ 13.0 Ventus Blue 8-TX

P-UDI 2-3 Recoil Dart 105-X

T100 4-5/ 716 CB 6-P MMT 125-TX

SM10 54D, 60M Modus 125-X
PLD Anser 30

15 minutes ago, Sean124 said:

I hit my lob wedge 100 yards. The one in the video went 70, right where I wanted it to go. 

Using the bounce at 120 yards? 😂

yes you obviously don’t know the difference if you don’t understand how  a ball lands checks face versus bounce. I hit 50 about 140. So 120 goes about 1/3 as high for a soft bounce and not enough spin to rip

away. 

in your case though I’d worry more about your technique in general as there is very little chance to control yardage like that anyways if you can’t keep the loft on the face bounce irregardless 

• Haha 2

Qi10 9 Ventus Blk 6x

Qi10 5w Ventus Blk 8x

p760 3i PX7.0

P730 4-9 PX7.0

MG4 46 50 54 59

Oworks 7s - TP5x

6 hours ago, Shilgy said:

Apparently some consider brushing the grass to be engaging the turf. Last time I checked the club does NOT bounce of the blades of grass.

Right. That's not "engaging the turf" and the bounce (on the club) doesn't care one bit about the tops of the grass. The bottom of the ball is sitting down in the grass some, so you're going to touch some of the top of the grass before the ball. You're right — that's not how anyone takes that type of phrasing.

5 hours ago, naj959 said:

I think this is the source of all the disagreement. OP says engage the turf and many are visualizing the club get into the soil.

The "turf" isn't the tops of the grass, right.

2 hours ago, Cliffy2020 said:

I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt for a minute…

He's more than burned through any benefit of the doubt with his intellectually dishonest approach to "discussing" things here. You run out of benefit of the doubt when you get things as wrong as frequently as he does.

56 minutes ago, cav5 said:

It’s actually more beneficial to use bounce on an overclubbed wedge say 50 to 120 than it is chipping.

🤔🫤

56 minutes ago, cav5 said:

I'm not sure what I'd be agreeing or disagreeing with, or why "pros" is in quotation marks, but…

• PGA Tour players don't play the "use the bounce" shot very often.
  • When they do, it's almost always from closer to the greens, or very high shots.
  • They tend to play the ball lower with wedges and use spin, from everything like the shots Joe Mayo's been showing off lately out to even 30, 40, 50 yards. Beyond that, it's almost entirely not "using the bounce" but rather divots, shaft lean, more like partial iron swings and shots.
  • Like 4

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

Actually have played with Bryson and he can hit it further than that and you know it. But appreciate the sarcasm. I haven't hit a 50, 49 actually past 120 in years unless im roughed out and can hold it on decent but whatever you say pro

• Sad 1

Qi10 9 Ventus Blk 6x

Qi10 5w Ventus Blk 8x

p760 3i PX7.0

P730 4-9 PX7.0

MG4 46 50 54 59

Oworks 7s - TP5x

1 hour ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Hits 50 almost as far as Dechambeau hits a 47.  Rory only hits GW 130.   I swing driver 120 and only hit 50 125.  impressive.

Only 125? Well clearly you're not getting any spin like cav5 is. Good luck stopping that on a green 😂

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

35 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Only 125? Well clearly you're not getting any spin like cav5 is. Good luck stopping that on a green 😂

The people who run the site call this forum Thunderdome.  So many people think I’m Master Blaster and fancy themselves as Max.

I’m not Master Blaster,  I’m the Collector.  Maybe I should change the Dr. Evil avatar

2FCF9FB0-EE36-4DA7-A4A6-38D99FF11E51.jpeg

Edited by MonteScheinblum
  • Haha 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

5 hours ago, cav5 said:

yes you obviously don’t know the difference if you don’t understand how  a ball lands checks face versus bounce. I hit 50 about 140. So 120 goes about 1/3 as high for a soft bounce and not enough spin to rip

away. 

in your case though I’d worry more about your technique in general as there is very little chance to control yardage like that anyways if you can’t keep the loft on the face bounce irregardless 

5 hours ago, cav5 said:

Actually have played with Bryson and he can hit it further than that and you know it. But appreciate the sarcasm. I haven't hit a 50, 49 actually past 120 in years unless im roughed out and can hold it on decent but whatever you say pro

So do you hit your 50° 140 or 120? Even you don't seem to know, but thought I'd ask anyway. 

I'll also refrain from pointing out the hilarity of someone taking lessons from the Alien Wedge king then trying to critique other's wedge play, but if I did point it out that fact would indeed be laugh inducing. 

• Like 3

On 1/13/2024 at 8:26 AM, iacas said:

I play really high bounce wedges, too, and like the forgiveness bounce gives me. As I mentioned in the other topic, PING named their Glide wedges after what I wrote in my book about how the "bounce" should be called the "glide" because "bounce" has a negative connotation of the club bouncing into the ball… which it can and will do on hardpan or other types of lies.

Ping named their Glide wedges after something you wrote in a book? 

are you sure?

Ping say the name Glide comes from a moisture repellent chrome finish to the 431 stainless steel head to help it glide through damp grass more easily

1 hour ago, kiwigolf72 said:

are you sure?

Quite.

• Haha 1

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

23 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

"using the bounce"'on 50-120 yard wedge shots, hilarious.

If you're hitting behind the ball on that length shot you're laying sod in normal to soft conditions and skilling it in firm conditions. Maybe there's a perfect turf firmness where you could get lucky once in a while.

Not exactly. If you're using bounce correctly then by the iacas dudes definition you are just gliding, surfing what ever through the turf. The trail edge is rudded through. Sure you'll hit it fat if you don't use the bounce but thats not what we're talking about. Open your mind a little. By definition bounce removes the fat so again don't know what to tell you

• Confused 3

Qi10 9 Ventus Blk 6x

Qi10 5w Ventus Blk 8x

p760 3i PX7.0

P730 4-9 PX7.0

MG4 46 50 54 59

Oworks 7s - TP5x

10 minutes ago, cav5 said:

Not exactly. If you're using bounce correctly then by the iacas dudes definition you are just gliding, surfing what ever through the turf.

No Tour player "uses the bounce" from 120 yards out before the ball is struck. Don't bring me into it as supporting your side of things.

10 minutes ago, cav5 said:

Open your mind a little.

Open yours. And tell your buddy/alter ego to open his.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sean124 said:

Watch Rory use the bounce and engage the turf behind the ball on this 75 yard wedge shot. 

FullSizeRender.MOV 16.78 MB · 2 downloads  

No one is saying you need to use bounce man. Pros are good. Rory has control of the loft he can do whatever he pleases. I just think he'd be better off using it

19 hours ago, PedronNiall said:

So do you hit your 50° 140 or 120? Even you don't seem to know, but thought I'd ask anyway. 

I'll also refrain from pointing out the hilarity of someone taking lessons from the Alien Wedge king then trying to critique other's wedge play, but if I did point it out that fact would indeed be laugh inducing. 

Okay again just talking to talk. 140 is full. Too much spin so its not a playable shot if you can and are actually trying to break par each day. So yes, I knock the wedge open a little, enter turf a smidge before impact, play the whole system a bit further back on the arc and play a low small draw about 120. Mind blowing. I don't need to worry about catching it too high on the face and it falling out of the air.

Qi10 9 Ventus Blk 6x

Qi10 5w Ventus Blk 8x

p760 3i PX7.0

P730 4-9 PX7.0

MG4 46 50 54 59

Oworks 7s - TP5x

Intentionally hitting ground first on distance wedges is ridiculous.

We all know what a "flier" is, i.e. loss of spin / distance control when a bit of grass gets between the face and ball.

Intentionally chunking wedges makes ball speed, launch angle and spin impossible to predict or control (will that chunk go 10 / 20 / 30 / 40 yards...or will the divot go further...)

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, GolfTurkey said:

Intentionally chunking wedges makes ball speed, launch angle and spin impossible to predict or control (will that chunk go 10 / 20 / 30 / 40 yards...or will the divot go further...)

Yep. More #Truths and #Facts that one side (one person?) simply won't acknowledge.