Bounce is Your Friend on Partial Wedge Shots and Engaging the Turf Prior to the Ball is a Good Thing When Hitting Them

13 hours ago, Valtiel said:

Literally no other productive conversation can happen in this thread until this happens, because i'd bet my irresponsibly hoarded staff bag full of golf shafts that the *actual* data would show what everyone that wants to see data has been yelling about and would cause a severe goal post shift in the conversation. Hell, *I* might do the slow motion video experiment because my local practice facility has the perfect setup for it. 

50-70 lol that’s easy. Atleast at 120 I’m close to the brink of torquing it too much. You’ve never hit a 40 yard bunker shot with a 9 iron? You really think I can’t that with a 54* from

the fairway? Ok!

Qi10 9 Ventus Blk 6x

Qi10 5w Ventus Blk 8x

p760 3i PX7.0

P730 4-9 PX7.0

MG4 46 50 54 59

Oworks 7s - TP5x

52 minutes ago, cav5 said:

The cut leg tight green side chip getitdaily can’t hit to cover rough to tight flag

IMG_2925.mov 6.81 MB · 1 download  

Lol. That shot went 3 yards. 

#1 - if that shot is from the rough then it's quite simple 

#2 - if that shot is from a tight lie then there is no rough to cover and a shot that short has about 1000% more chance of getting.close with a bump and run or a putt. If into bermuda grain then it's a hybrid "putt". 

You're describing a shot that is very different than your carpet nonsense. 

I'll put my short game up against yours anytime you want, bug guy.

Edited by getitdaily
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Lol. That shot went 3 yards. 

#1 - if that shot is from the rough then it's quite simple 

#2 - if that shot is from a tight lie then there is no rough to cover and a shot that short has about 1000% more chance of getting.close with a bump and run or a putt. If into bermuda grain then it's a hybrid "putt". 

You're describing a shot that is very different than your carpet nonsense. 

I'll put my short game up against yours anytime you want, bug guy.

Do you need to see me hit it 10 yards? Because its way easier to go a bit faster on that shot lol. Pretty sure I would of executed that perfectly and just made it more difficult being shorter. any takers?

image.png.f0263aecb5ae0ff3ffda3824770d2bbc.png

Qi10 9 Ventus Blk 6x

Qi10 5w Ventus Blk 8x

p760 3i PX7.0

P730 4-9 PX7.0

MG4 46 50 54 59

Oworks 7s - TP5x

23 minutes ago, cav5 said:

Do you need to see me hit it 10 yards? Because its way easier to go a bit faster on that shot lol. Pretty sure I would of executed that perfectly and just made it more difficult being shorter. any takers?

image.png.f0263aecb5ae0ff3ffda3824770d2bbc.png

Nope. But what I described in the post you captured is the way to play whatever you're trying to do.

I'll make sure to take that advice. Gotta be tough to see that lol. Must land ball on fringe lol. I'll just give myself the 2 yards to land it its not rolling more than 4 feet.

Qi10 9 Ventus Blk 6x

Qi10 5w Ventus Blk 8x

p760 3i PX7.0

P730 4-9 PX7.0

MG4 46 50 54 59

Oworks 7s - TP5x

can we please lock this thread? I need to actually work

Rotate the following:

Titliest TSR2 10* (@A1) Ventus TR Blue 6TX

Titliest TSR2 16.5* (@A1) Fuji Speeder 8.3TS X

Titliest TSR2 21* (@A1) Fuji Atmos Blue 8X

Titliest 818H2 21* (@B3) Fuji Atmos Black 9X

Srixon ZXU 18*, ZX5 3-4, ZX7 5-PW

C-taper 125 S+ PVD Black, BBFCO "Black Ice Ice Ferrule", Pure DTX Purple Std +4 wraps

Cleveland RTX6 Raw 50*Mid Ctaper 130X, 54* Full S400 Onyx, 58* Low S400 Onyx

Mizzy MCraft VI 36.5" SS Pistol 1.0

Titliest PV1

1 hour ago, nikegolfer93 said:

Doesn't Billy Horschel and Bob Vokey @13:24 say exactly the opposite of what some you are advocating for?

No with those basic shots you want to use ball first lol. I know because I have trackmans bounce1st edition

Qi10 9 Ventus Blk 6x

Qi10 5w Ventus Blk 8x

p760 3i PX7.0

P730 4-9 PX7.0

MG4 46 50 54 59

Oworks 7s - TP5x

15 minutes ago, iacas said:

You don't even know what you're saying anymore. You have no idea what a video showing you kicking the handle out from the club demonstrates, or how it applies to a short game shot. Go ahead and try to explain it — you can't, because it doesn't make any actual sense — it's not something you do in an actual short game shot (or any other shot).

And again: Nobody is saying you can't hit a 3- or a 10-yard shot by using the bounce. They are pointing out that you don't hit 50-yard shots, or 120-yard shots, hitting 6, 4, or even 1 inch behind the ball.

They are saying that you don't even hit ALL of your short game shots from inside of that 50 yards by "using the bounce" and hitting the ground first before you hit the ball.

They are also saying that you've gotten several basic things dead wrong:

• opening up the face and/or exposing more bounce doesn't lower the shot.
  • the wedge doesn't have 40° of bounce
  • hitting the ball lower on the face doesn't appreciably change the spin generated (it does on a driver, but it doesn't on a wedge because of geometry, CoG locations, shaft length/gear effect magnitude, etc.).
  • You don't generate max spin — you can stop the ball with trajectory, yes — when you open the spin loft up and get on the other side of the mountain.

Even in the videos you're posting, you're not hitting anywhere near even 2" behind the ball, let alone 6". And let's call 6" a massive exaggeration — you're still bottoming out in front of the ball, hitting down with forward shaft lean, and contacting the ball at the earliest at the same time as you get into the ground, which is different than the tops of the grass or carpet.

I'm not a hater. I'm a guy who understands the physics, and can spot a bullshitter when I see one.

I teach people to use the bounce on some shots around the greens. I've got video of me hitting a wedge with legit 22° of bounce off almost hardpan… Your videos don't do anything to illuminate anything other than that you don't really know what you're talking about.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you but can you address the Billy Horschel video I posted above?

TM SIM 8* Ventus Black 6x

Titleist TS2 16.5* Ventus Black 7x

Mizuno MP-32 3-PW S300

Titleist Vokey SM6 52*F, 56*F, 60*S
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless NP2 34/340g

2 hours ago, nikegolfer93 said:

Doesn't Billy Horschel and Bob Vokey @13:24 say exactly the opposite of what some you are advocating for?

Per what @iacas stated above, that is exactly the "use the bounce" type of technique for pitches around the green that is totally fine. It's the insistence that this *same* technique is used on fuller to full shots which is ridiculous. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Tensei AV White 85TX 1.0 // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour X  // Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour X
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-6i 26*- 30* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 7i-PW 34*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 59* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

You’re right I’ve only self taught myself from a 4 to plus 4 at one point. I haven’t spent thousands of hours reading and learning and applying. I just stumbled upon everything. 

im sure the 7k reading this thread are not interested in my spewing lol. If you understood math you realize that bounce is more a science than you’re projecting. It doesn’t fail if the inputs are correct. You 100% can hit 6in behind the ball if the loft bounce yardage and turf give allow for it. Just like you can only hit so far up on driver if the spin allows it. 

you are much better off with more bounce than you’ll need and taking it off. Your window of shallow to steep becomes huge and you pick up consistency without the big error. Your goal is to break even on each shot worst case scenario. And capitalize on the good ones. 

same with trading. I could show you how to measure velocity of price to time acceleration to volume to trap equity markets. Picking tops and bottoms don’t make winners. Taking the meat after a bottom through to the top and exiting after that top becomes a sell does. Never getting it all is winning. Of course you need the tools to do that. They aren’t in Harvard business books or online. 

you’re buddy getitdaily is gonna hit backfoot 60s to fringe spots to tight flags. But if it’s all you know I get it. 

You think Kelly slater can’t keep his nose up on a 50’footer because the wave gets steeper or an experienced boater can get a 22 footer thru a storm? No it’s fear because you have doubt. 

Edited by cav5
  • Confused 1

Qi10 9 Ventus Blk 6x

Qi10 5w Ventus Blk 8x

p760 3i PX7.0

P730 4-9 PX7.0

MG4 46 50 54 59

Oworks 7s - TP5x

13 minutes ago, cav5 said:

You’re right I’ve only self taught myself from a 4 to plus 4 at one point. I haven’t spent thousands of hours reading and learning and applying. I just stumbled upon everything. 

im sure the 7k reading this thread are not interested in my spewing lol. If you understood math you realize that bounce is more a science than you’re projecting. It doesn’t fail if the inputs are correct. You 100% can hit 6in behind the ball if the loft bounce yardage and turf give allow for it. Just like you can only hit so far up on driver if the spin allows it. 

you are much better off with more bounce than you’ll need and taking it off. Your window of shallow to steep becomes huge and you pick up consistency without the big error. Your goal is to break even on each shot worst case scenario. And capitalize on the good ones. 

same with trading. I could show you how to measure velocity of price to time acceleration to volume to trap equity markets. Picking tops and bottoms don’t make winners. Taking the meat after a bottom through to the top and exiting after that top becomes a sell does. Never getting it all is winning. Of course you need the tools to do that. They aren’t in Harvard business books or online. 

you’re buddy getitdaily is gonna hit backfoot 60s to fringe spots to tight flags. But if it’s all you know I get it. 

You think Kelly slater can’t keep his nose up on a 50’footer because the wave gets steeper or an experienced boater can get a 22 footer thru a storm? No it’s fear because you have doubt. 

Lol.

You need as much bounce as your technique and turf you play on dictate. 

And I like that you threw in the trading stuff. That's called deflection, using a topic you feel you're much more learned on than others. In psychology, that's a sign of a feeling of inadequacy. 

Also…

18 minutes ago, cav5 said:

a) it's "your"

b) image.png.5301e63c5c2a34499fcac3ba30b35aa3.png

c) 🤣

• Like 2

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 28. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

20 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Lol.

You need as much bounce as your technique and turf you play on dictate. 

And I like that you threw in the trading stuff. That's called deflection, using a topic you feel you're much more learned on than others. In psychology, that's a sign of a feeling of inadequacy. 

No its explaining how not being perfect makes you better.

Qi10 9 Ventus Blk 6x

Qi10 5w Ventus Blk 8x

p760 3i PX7.0

P730 4-9 PX7.0

MG4 46 50 54 59

Oworks 7s - TP5x

lol my half inch carpet off hardwood has less forgivness than your mats. i put a video of it up and hit a 3 yard baby flop ground first as soft as you possibly could. I doubt you or any of the others can hit that shot. Hitting that shot takes 100% commitment of what you're doing. Hitting that shot early from 80 yards is a breeze in comparison.

why not let average golfers have a larger variance of attack angles by learning bounce. you'll stop hitting the real bad ones and the days that your mind (or markets) are syncing to blend the math with turf bounce loft yard etc.. then you capitalize. pretty fool proof to me.

Qi10 9 Ventus Blk 6x

Qi10 5w Ventus Blk 8x

p760 3i PX7.0

P730 4-9 PX7.0

MG4 46 50 54 59

Oworks 7s - TP5x

1 minute ago, cav5 said:

lol my half inch carpet off hardwood has less forgivness than your mats.

Uhmmm, which is why I said:

33 minutes ago, iacas said:

But… you're not anywhere close to even 3" behind the balls you're demonstrating, because there's not a bunch of soft padding beneath.

You hit very close to the golf ball, and you do so with a negative AoA, because you have to with less padding. You're not hitting even 2" behind your golf ball. Probably not even 1 to get into the actual "turf" (not the top of the carpet).

And… my turf is firmer than your carpet out where I demonstrated hitting a pitch off "hardpan."

Again, you don't even know what you're arguing against. And instead of speaking to the objections people have had to the factual matters and your preposterous claims about how far behind the ball you engage with the turf, you try to pick at nits thinking that if you can find fault in one little thing, you'll "win" the entire argument. And then you can't even really find fault in little things here and there!

9 minutes ago, cav5 said:

i put a video of it up and hit a 3 yard baby flop ground first as soft as you possibly could.

Bold is debatable, and nowhere near even 2" behind the ball.

I doubt you or any of the others can hit that shot.

And you're proven wrong again.

Hitting that shot takes 100% commitment of what you're doing. Hitting that shot early from 80 yards is a breeze in comparison.

You don't engage the turf even 1" behind the ball! Sheesh, man.

why not let average golfers have a larger variance of attack angles by learning bounce. you'll stop hitting the real bad ones and the days that your mind (or markets) are syncing to blend the math with turf bounce loft yard etc.. then you capitalize. pretty fool proof to me.

You don't even know who you're arguing against. Seriously.

I've said it in this topic: I teach A LOT of people to use the bounce specifically because it can increase the "forgiveness" for a usable shot. But:

• It's one shot. Good players need and use a variety of shots, including several where it's ball, then turf.
  • You're not maximizing spin by "using the bounce." The "high spinner" is tough (you can do it - spin loft of 55° will still get it done, but even then it's not super high because high shots ≠ friction ≠ spin. High shots are more slippage and less spin.
  • Neither of you have demonstrated hitting even 1" behind a ball on an 80-yard shot, and that's NOT the way you play a shot of that length. Or 90. Or 100. Or 120. That's ball first (nearly) all the time. And the only reason I'm saying "nearly" is because your ball might be sitting in the back of a divot or something.
  • Like 3

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

I use finance cuz most of us are adults and use different people with different ideas to grow and secure our money. Are they all right? How many people claim to know or have models to work. Or better yet call it a thesis for a get out jail free card. Really not that far fetched getitdaily. Not deflecting theres just really nothing else to say.

Data taken from the exchange, measured, and plotted so you can visualize it without doing math. That is measuring. Could share a picture but theres too many smart people here that would attempt to reverse engineer.

There is no golf swing physics data exchange as much as every dang teacher on the internet claims there to be. I've actually talk to some smart people who've tried and seemingly so far the easiest way is actually 2D.

Theres no convo to be had. You get the physics or you don't, and it actually doesn't matter.

• Sad 1

Qi10 9 Ventus Blk 6x

Qi10 5w Ventus Blk 8x

p760 3i PX7.0

P730 4-9 PX7.0

MG4 46 50 54 59

Oworks 7s - TP5x

7 minutes ago, cav5 said:

lol if you think that shot was even close to a 3 yard flop

I didn't say it was. It's a flop shot off firmer turf than your carpet. With a wedge that has 22° of actual bounce, not the 12° on the C3i. You can get an idea of the launch angle from the video, too.

It's ten years old, and your response is the latest in a long line of:

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

And instead of speaking to the objections people have had to the factual matters and your preposterous claims about how far behind the ball you engage with the turf, you try to pick at nits thinking that if you can find fault in one little thing, you'll "win" the entire argument.

Anyway…

There is no golf swing physics data exchange as much as every dang teacher on the internet claims there to be. I've actually talk to some smart people who've tried and seemingly so far the easiest way is actually 2D.

Theres no convo to be had. You get the physics or you don't, and it actually doesn't matter.

You've yet to demonstrate that you "get" the physics at all. You've said things that are, again, literally wrong. Incorrect. False.

You've said nonsensical things like "there's no golf swing physics data exchange". Huh? Nobody's claimed that there is. What people have said is to ask you to show us the data on some of the shots you're hitting. Show us a shot, even, without data - just good video - of a 90-yard shot where you engage the turf even 2" behind the ball.

I could show you that shot. Unfortunately, it'd be a shot I'm trying to hit 180 yards that I caught 2" fat and so the ball only went 90! 🤣

P.S. I literally posted a three-yard shot — a low shot with a lot of spin — earlier in the topic. It was decidedly NOT using the bounce, because that would reduce the margin of error on a shot like that off the turf I was using. The first shot was a bit heavy, but quite literally about 1/4", which is about the max error I had on that type of shot. Trying to engage the bounce before the ball would result in really bad shots off that lie/turf. And it's not because, even with a much larger swing as the video above demonstrates, I can't do it.

Edited by iacas
Added postscript
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, GolfTurkey said:

Using the bounce on distance wedges, kicking an upside-down club, trading on Wall Street, surfing giant waves, skippering boats…

Conspiracy Theory Glasses GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

You'd think that stuff would all be coming from someone with a username like, oh, I dunno, @GolfTurkey, right? 🤣

3 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

Using the bounce on distance wedges, kicking an upside-down club, trading on Wall Street, surfing giant waves, skippering boats…

Conspiracy Theory Glasses GIF by nounish ⌐◨-◨

Yes you have no clue. And no one’s reading this thread because of you. Must be fun to be a hangeron. 

Qi10 9 Ventus Blk 6x

Qi10 5w Ventus Blk 8x

p760 3i PX7.0

P730 4-9 PX7.0

MG4 46 50 54 59

Oworks 7s - TP5x