2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Oh Rory...please zip it. Ban the pressers.

CasualLie

3 hours ago, jallen0119 said:

I didn't know if everyone knew, but: A. The players aren't the ones asking the questions. B. LIV Golf is a big part of the conversation and, most importantly C. You can always change the channel. 

A - You dont have to give a verbose answer or tell them what you really think. 

B - You once again can take the Belichick route and say your focus is on the current weeks golf tournament

C - The media drums up anything he says to make it a headline. Sometimes the boring response is the correct one, especially when your words are always under a microscope like Rory's. Why do you think Tiger was always so boring during his prolific era of dominance 

• Like 1

I’ve been a fan since the 2009 PGA Championship. Was there for the whole shebang. While pr__ks like Bubba and Elk and others couldn’t be bothered with fans during practice rounds, Rory (who was mobbed by kids, lol) and was only 20, embraced it.  Watched him sign autographs for every kid during a break between hole and next tee box (including mine, lol). Clarke and Westwood stood about 10 yards away laughing because the kids didn’t even notice them - fun to watch.

Edit: and not totally fair to all - Rory’s situation was unique, but in a similar circumstance the two mentioned and a couple others were downright rude for no reason. On the other hand I think Phil gave a kid $100 for pointing out the loo!

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ole3wiggle said:

A - You dont have to give a verbose answer or tell them what you really think. 

B - You once again can take the Belichick route and say your focus is on the current weeks golf tournament

C - The media drums up anything he says to make it a headline. Sometimes the boring response is the correct one, especially when your words are always under a microscope like Rory's. Why do you think Tiger was always so boring during his prolific era of dominance 

Nomination for ‘word of the day’. 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I’ve been a fan since the 2009 PGA Championship. Was there for the whole shebang. While pr__ks like Bubba and Elk and others couldn’t be bothered with fans during practice rounds, Rory (who was mobbed by kids, lol) and was only 20, embraced it.  Watched him sign autographs for every kid during a break between hoke and next tee box (including mine, lol). Clarke and Westwood stood about 10 yards away laughing because the kids didn’t even notice them - fun to watch.

Edit: and not totally fair to all - Rory’s situation was unique, but in a similar circumstance the two mentioned and a couple others were downright rude for no reason. On the other hand I think Phil gave a kid $100 for pointing out the loo!

You reminded me. Story I’ve told once here so I apologize to anyone that’s already read it. Two years ago volunteering at the Genesis, Rahm was walking towards me after finishing up on the practice green. Very politely said “Excuse me, it’s my son’s birthday and you are his favorite player. Can we please get an autograph?” He doesn’t even miss a beat and just says “I’m gonna just keep walking”. 

*not judging Jon based on this one experience. Just sharing a story. Thnx

• Like 2

Rory essentially got left out in the dark by those in the PGA who needed a player to speak on their behalf. He felt the need to since he is a big recipient of the bonus that is doled out at the end of the season. PGA realized it can not compete with trillionaires in the PIF so instead of a hostile takeover, they did a quiet take over calling it working together. 😂😂😂Only thing funnier are the players who aren’t jumping to the LIV while the money is still being offered. Rory could care less about the money but what bothers him more are the players who changed their stance. 

• Like 2

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

17 hours ago, Ole3wiggle said:

So because he is an elite athlete, he shouldn't be able to share his opinion? 

My response to C is, I guess you missed Tiger's pressers when he was newer to the PGA Tour. They weren't "boring" as you suggest. 

4 minutes ago, jallen0119 said:

My response to C is, I guess you missed Tiger's pressers when he was newer to the PGA Tour. They weren't "boring" as you suggest. 

Tiger never expounded on Tour or political matters and said little and wasn’t long before he said nothing of substance if he thought questions were worth answering. 

Edited by Hawkeye77

13 hours ago, BobMorris said:

Truer words were never spoken.

I think a critical (pun intended) mass of people have realized that media's game consists largely of 'He called you a name! What do you call him in return?'

Sports, politics, entertainment. Same drill.

In the age of instantaneous global communications this tactic is as annoying as ever but now it's obsolete. How many media articles and claims, important or trivial, have we seen invalidated by the parties involved (ie primary sources) saying it never happened or providing emails, texts, screenshots? Media will tell you conflict and controversy are a means of selling ads and drawing readership but in the last week we've had an iconic sports magazine check into the funeral home and the West Coast's largest paper is facing its own demise. Both entities may be in a no-win situation vis-a-vis the internet but they certainly sped the process up with their self-inflicted injuries.

Edited by chillybilly

Gotta hand it to the internet, take the old school version of sitting around the breakfast table or at the bar with your buddies pretending you have a phd in celebrity psychology while you spout nonsense opinions, and make it into a global event. Sports fans on this level baffle me, who cares if they talk a lot or barely at all. Why should you or anyone care about their opinions on anything except what they have to say about their profession, and if you do, it should only go so far as to whether you agree or disagree. Getting upset at celebrities for speaking is like getting upset at a cloud for blocking the sun, it’s pointless.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Gotta hand it to the internet, take the old school version of sitting around the breakfast table or at the bar with your buddies pretending you have a phd in celebrity psychology while you spout nonsense opinions, and make it into a global event. Sports fans on this level baffle me, who cares if they talk a lot or barely at all. Why should you or anyone care about their opinions on anything except what they have to say about their profession, and if you do, it should only go so far as to whether you agree or disagree. Getting upset at celebrities for speaking is like getting upset at a cloud for blocking the sun, it’s pointless.

Gotta hand it to the internet 

People telling people to shut up about telling other people to shut up 

🤣🍻

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 hours ago, Ole3wiggle said:

A) What if he wants to tell them what he really thinks? Who needs to police that?

B) Why would anyone want to listen to that boring response?

C) There is no correct response to a question in a press conference. The Tiger default is not the gold standard. A lot of people would rather listen to Rory speak in a press conference than Tiger. Tiger is arguably the best golfer ever on the course. Off the course, he is nothing to be aspiring to, in personal life or in demeanour/press conferences. Aside from Rory, there are dozens of players that have been more interesting to listen to off it than Tiger, including his old enemy Phil Mickelson.

Talking a lot like Phil and Rory has done little to no damage whatsoever to their games, but made them more interesting individuals. McIlroy is chasing down world number 1, has started the season 2nd, 1st since his win. They're in the top 5 golfers of the past 30 years. Tiger is better because he was much better at golf, not because he does better press conferences.

Edited by Dave230
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dave230 said:

A) What if he wants to tell them what he really thinks? Who needs to police that?

C) There is no correct response to a question in a press conference. The Tiger default is not the gold standard. A lot of people would rather listen to Rory speak in a press conference than Tiger. Tiger is arguably the best golfer ever on the course. Off the course, he is nothing to be aspiring to, in personal life or in demeanour/press conferences. Aside from Rory, there are dozens of players that have been more interesting to listen to off it than Tiger, including his old enemy Phil Mickelson.

Talking a lot like Phil and Rory has done little to no damage whatsoever to their games, but made them more interesting individuals. McIlroy is chasing down world number 1, has started the season 2nd, 1st since his win. They're in the top 5 golfers of the past 30 years. Tiger is better because he was much better at golf, not because he does better press conferences.

Tiger hit a billion net worth 2x..  If Ror's had proper people behind him, they would tell him to shut his yapp and play better golf.

• Confused 1

Titleist....

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

Gotta hand it to the internet 

People telling people to shut up about telling other people to shut up 

🤣🍻

Kind of missing the point, talk all you want but ultimately you accomplish nothing except for self aggravation, especially since most can't handle criticism of their opinions. Its fun to talk in person with your buddies about this stuff because when the topic naturally dies you move on to the next. 

42 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Kind of missing the point, talk all you want but ultimately you accomplish nothing except for self aggravation, especially since most can't handle criticism of their opinions. Its fun to talk in person with your buddies about this stuff because when the topic naturally dies you move on to the next. 

Very true.  Although, sometimes it's hard to tell if anyone posting is really THAT upset.  Take me for example.  I started the thread.  I'm not upset at all.  "Bored" is closer to the reality, but even that's a bit much.  It's a simple reaction, like you say, 19th hole fodder/rant and quickly move on.  I suspect that's what mostly goes on it's just an internet thread has a lot more people than what fits at your group table after Saturday skins.  But there are a few with constant replies of the same thing; four posts on the same page - now that's a bit much!

I purposely broadened out my rant, because it's the internet!  Haha!  But really, like Rory, nice back door win yesterday, can't believe how long his major drought has gone on.  I started the topic on the heels of his latest "here's my latest vision of world golf" because this guy is flopping more than a fish out of water.  And in just a matter of weeks.  Smacks of a guy who desperately wants out of the LIV dog house and get his cut.

Anyway, who gets all worked up and upset from internet threads?!?!  I know... 😂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jallen0119 said:

No, he can share his opinion as he has. In my opinion it does him no good and likely causes him to play worse golf because of the distractions it causes. 

I would say I remember well enough from 2002 - 2008 and he was pretty impassive with the media to my recollection 

2 hours ago, Dave230 said:

A) He can do whatever he wants. In my opinion, him doing so has caused more distraction and been overall a factor in playing poorly. How many times has he called out Phil or Greg Norman in the last few years? It gains him nothing to do so (on the course) yet it causes a distraction and often more questions about it from the media. 

B) I think most couldnt care less of golfers opinions about off course matters. I think most care to listen to their opinions on their golf games and the tournament that week.

C) Why do golfers need to be hero's off the course? I only care about their accomplishments on the course. Tiger is someone to emulate on a golf course. He's not someone I'd recommend as a role model in terms of being a human being. Thats not why he's famous. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ole3wiggle said:

A) He can do whatever he wants. In my opinion, him doing so has caused more distraction and been overall a factor in playing poorly. How many times has he called out Phil or Greg Norman in the last few years? It gains him nothing to do so (on the course) yet it causes a distraction and often more questions about it from the media. 

B) I think most couldnt care less of golfers opinions about off course matters. I think most care to listen to their opinions on their golf games and the tournament that week.

C) Why do golfers need to be hero's off the course? I only care about their accomplishments on the course. Tiger is someone to emulate on a golf course. He's not someone I'd recommend as a role model in terms of being a human being. Thats not why he's famous. 

Bingo.  Like I posted, he should shut up and play. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Dave230 said:

Rory's net worth is close to $300 million for hitting a golf ball, he's doing alright for himself.

Augusta is what keeps him up at night..  Tiger kept his trap shut and played winning golf.

Oh and Rahmbo surpassed Ror's total earnings with a simple swipe of a pen...  Read: didn't open his mouth, played golf.

Titleist....