Oh Rory...please zip it. Ban the pressers.

CasualLie

33 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

I think Rory is on par with DJ 🤣

However, the Irish have a culture and gift for language that permeates the entire population, I think.

Like we went to a wedding in Ireland, County Clare, ordinary folks, I don’t think many had secondary educations 

But the wedding speeches were superb! Eloquence and humor perfectly lubricated with copious potables. 

Man, that was one of the few times I couldn’t last the whole celebration ; )

Again, Rory isn't going to be building colonies on Mars but I do know that he can read, can have a conversation about what he read, and can understand the humor of HBO's Succession. That might not be a very high bar but I don't have very high expectations of a typical college graduate. I have very little doubts that had Rory been a really good golfer as opposed to a generational golfer, that he would have stayed eligible and gotten a degree in communications or exercise science from Okie State or any number of universities he chose to play at. 

Now I have never met DJ but I know a few people that have. The unanimous opinion was, "he's exactly like what you'd expect". Now I like DJ. I thought he handled the transition to LIV as well as anyone. Also, besides Rory, he's probably the guy I most enjoy watching play. Those two, in form, just make golf look so damn easy. Even more so than Tiger. There is an effortlessness to DJs and Rorys game when they're cruising that just hits different. But c'mon. I think Rory is just smart enough to be dangerous. Meaning he's had enough conversations with executives and read enough business books to believe he knows more than he truly does. Its a pretty common affliction. DJ has a different problem. To continue w/ the OPs Bull Durham references, DJ truly is Nuke Laloosh. A million dollar arm but a five cent head.       

• Like 1

I wish he would learn that he doesnt need to share his opinion about everything. Even if you personally believe something you can easily keep quiet about it to the media. The media twists and turns and also embellishes everything he says and it has blown up in his face a few times. Not to mention it just causes way too much of a distraction outside of what hes there to do, which is play golf. 

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Dutch1008 said:

Again, Rory isn't going to be building colonies on Mars but I do know that he can read, can have a conversation about what he read, and can understand the humor of HBO's Succession. That might not be a very high bar but I don't have very high expectations of a typical college graduate. I have very little doubts that had Rory been a really good golfer as opposed to a generational golfer, that he would have stayed eligible and gotten a degree in communications or exercise science from Okie State or any number of universities he chose to play at. 

Now I have never met DJ but I know a few people that have. The unanimous opinion was, "he's exactly like what you'd expect". Now I like DJ. I thought he handled the transition to LIV as well as anyone. Also, besides Rory, he's probably the guy I most enjoy watching play. Those two, in form, just make golf look so damn easy. Even more so than Tiger. There is an effortlessness to DJs and Rorys game when they're cruising that just hits different. But c'mon. I think Rory is just smart enough to be dangerous. Meaning he's had enough conversations with executives and read enough business books to believe he knows more than he truly does. Its a pretty common affliction. DJ has a different problem. To continue w/ the OPs Bull Durham references, DJ truly is Nuke Laloosh. A million dollar arm but a five cent head.       

I have a ton of respect for the way DJ left. He straight up said it was about the money and also avoided litigation.

• Like 3

Rory is struggling, out loud, to make sense of being undermined by Monahan and his cronies and to find his place in a changing environment. 

Media relies on continual content. Rory obliges them. But, I’d rather listen to him than someone like Tiger who tries to message via non answers to protect his brand. Speaking of Tiger, his carefully curated press event after his infidelity was the epitome of cringey spin.  

But, like any sports figure, if you don’t like Rory, just ignore him. 

Edited by PJE
  • Like 4

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

5 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

Is it that or his height? 

image.png.3c235ea5062555aa77a45a1ccfde81a1.png

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2211682-rory-mcilroy-jokes-he-would-be-a-virgin-if-not-for-golf.amp.html

See the link for the funniest thing Rory has ever said at a presser. 

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

3 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

In those days at least the lunatics needed to make a pretty significant investment to transmit on shortwave and only a tiny fraction of people had or were interested in buying such a radio.

Art_Bell_portrait.jpg

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

3 hours ago, kiwigolf72 said:

Unbelievable, Rory talks about moving on and all of a sudden his education is in question. 

You’re nice to defend RM but we all like Rory, just wish his championship play matched his championship mouth

Plus, Rory got like a billion 💰 

He don’t care if we call him an illiterate 🤣

8 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

You’re nice to defend RM but we all like Rory, just wish his championship play matched his championship mouth

Plus, Rory got like a billion 💰 

He don’t care if we call him an illiterate 🤣

I'm not defending Rory, apart from watching him hit driver, I'm not a fan.

Edited by kiwigolf72
  • Like 1

On 1/18/2024 at 12:27 PM, jt2gt said:

But wait...the media tells us all the time how "smart" these athletes are after they sign their million dollar endorsement deals and then Steve Sands goes and strokes their ego even more about not wearing a hat.😂   Maybe its a criticism of both the media and the athlete.

On the one hand, when players open up ina press conference, people get mad when the player says something they don’t like 

On the other, when players are guarded and don’t talk much, they’re accused of being disingenuous 

Rolling my eyes over here

• Like 2

On 1/18/2024 at 7:15 AM, Itsjustagame said:

Stop judging entertainers (including athletes) by what they say. They are very good at something (singing, acting, hitting a ball), but that doesn't make what they say to reporters either important,  intelligent or worth listening to.

Well that is senseless, IMO. He is on there because we are SUPPOSED to care what he says. I don’t but thats me. That said, making PUBLIC comments about a sport played before the PUBLIC creates every expectation that one’s thoughts and words are going to be judged. 

10 hours ago, IndyArcher said:

Well that is senseless, IMO. He is on there because we are SUPPOSED to care what he says

Nah. He is on there because he can play world class golf. Period.

That gives him a platform and we expect him to express his thoughts. But entertainers are not on TV because thay have proven to be great thinkers/speakers.

Watch them sing, dance, act, hit a ball and enjoy that, but it's way to easy to be critical when they say or do something you don't like or agree with.

• Like 2

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

15 minutes ago, Itsjustagame said:

That gives him a platform and we expect him to express his thoughts. But entertainers are not on TV because thay have proven to be great thinkers/speakers.

Watch them sing, dance, act, hit a ball and enjoy that, but it's way to easy to be critical when they say or do something you don't like or agree with.

Exactly, like Alec Baldwin. Guy is a total RL nut but professionally, can be brilliant. Like he killed it in Glenngarry.

And his SNL Tony Bennet was insane funny.

Oh and his Al Pacino 🤣 Although the Tony Danza steals the show…

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Itsjustagame said:

Agreed. Being able to get the ball in the hole a little quicker than most doesn't allow an athlete to have any more insight into complicated issues than you or me.

Athletes are neither role models nor academics, the sooner people realize this the better off they'll be. 🙂 Sports figures will let you down every time.

• Like 1