Oh Rory...please zip it. Ban the pressers.

CasualLie

9 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Because we’re not entitled to his daily thoughts or mood changes. It’s making a mockery out of certain folks.  He could learn a lot by taking a class from Tiger.  I’m not in the camp of fans that thinks we’re entitled to interrogate a player once a day.  

If he shows up at an event is paid a lot of money to be there, it's common courtesy to speak to the media and answer a few questions to help promote the event. It's a bad thing if he stops doing that.

I don't think we should be encouraging players to be boring and talk in cliches. You can't complain about there not being enough characters in the game today, and then encourage them to say nothing and disengage from the media.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I’m not saying don’t do the presser. I’m just saying stop talking. It’s turning into pro wrestling.  I am not entertained.  I was most entertained watching Tiger make the media squirm.  The media deserved every second of his one word answers. And they’d deserve it again from Rory .  

im not one who is complaining of no characters in golf  today.  I think we have too many , and most of it is manufactured by the media.  The media is the enemy of most people.  

You find out most of what you know about golfers from the media. It's the gateway from the players to the fans. The media is not the enemy, but it depends on the media though, doesn't it? Tabloid and gotcha sort of journalism is different to other kinds. McIlroy won the PIP money and at every tournament has the most following his group, apart from Tiger. So it obviously must work for him. I believe he could say nothing if he wanted to, but he doesn't want to. He knows what he's doing.

35 minutes ago, Itsjustagame said:

Stop judging entertainers (including athletes) by what they say. They are very good at something (singing, acting, hitting a ball), but that doesn't make what they say to reporters either important,  intelligent or worth listening to.

In many cases this is true.  I used to listen to Jim Rome back in the day before he went corporate and boring.  He'd frequently interview players and it was usually a cringefest. They were almost universally terrible radio segments. I'd have to change the station. 

Then of course Rome became entirely boring at some point and I stopped listening. 

3 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Exactly

Pro athletes are all dunces

Nobody cares what they say outside of their craft. Like take Tiger, he like Mozart on the course but say nothing but “reps” and “traj”. And that’s great, nobody wants hear him talk. He actually talk beyond “golf talk”, he be like,

“Yeah, a bone popped out of my wrist but it’s ok, I popped it back it in”

🤣

Rory is a bigger dunce than most. At least he was killing it on the course at one time. Now he’s just a dunce who chokes away majors. 

But I always root for Rory oddly enough 🤣

This ^.  

reporters now are just picking them for catch phrases or hot takes.   They weren’t even reporting on their game. We do not care what they think about world subjects etc.  and we definitely don’t need them to blow the tour business up and out of proportion. Like they did with Rahm.  They blow his opinions up for months. So that when he defects , it’s reportable as a bigger deal than it is.  All fake. Jon’s gone. Retired. Nobody cares.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

3 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

This ^.  

reporters now are just picking them for catch phrases or hot takes.   They weren’t even reporting on their game. We do not care what they think about world subjects etc.  and we definitely don’t need them to blow the tour business up and out of proportion. Like they did with Rahm.  They blow his opinions up for months. So that when he defects , it’s reportable as a bigger deal than it is.  All fake. Jon’s gone. Retired. Nobody cares.  

Scott Fawcett will put up a YouTube vid wondering what ever happened to Jon Graham, lol.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, MattyO1984 said:

Whilst I would accept that at times there are players like Rory who put their foot in their mouth, I would also accept that I am far more interested in hearing what guys like Rory might have to say.

The old knock against Koepka even after he won his first US Open was his interviews were simply paint by numbers affairs. Question answered, generic, pointless, waste of time answer given. He used to get heat for it and the media got to the point of not even wanting him to appear. He realised that and started shooting from the hip a little more. Then he got criticised for doing that.

Players are in a no win situation - they are going to have to get interviewed, there is no ifs or butts about it. If they say something, then some, whether it is on here or on (anti) social media will have to add their tuppence. If they say nothing, then they are boring and they are lambasted for that. It’s a lose lose for them.

MattyO!

Ya it’s lose lose so…why say anything? Lol

I mean, do we remember anything Brady, MJ, Tiger, or pick you all time great sports stars, ever said…

5-minutes after they said it?

I still root for RM 10 years after he “lit it up” and would prefer he never spoke again and actually won something!

Of course he’s welcome to share whatever is on his mind, the media is happy to oblige, just seems he talks a ton for a guy who has won no championships for a decade. 

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

MattyO!

Ya it’s lose lose so…why say anything? Lol

I mean, do we remember anything Brady, MJ, Tiger, or pick you all time great sports stars, ever said…

5-minutes after they said it?

I still root for RM 10 years after he “lit it up” and would prefer he never spoke again and actually won something!

Of course he’s welcome to share whatever is on his mind, the media is happy to oblige, just seems he talks a ton for a guy who’s won no championships for a decade. 

He's won 21 times on the main tours since that last major and been constantly in the top 5 of the world, and been number 1 for a good time too. He is still very relevant. Go to any tournament and see who they're following. He topped the PIP last year.

Talking to the media in an interesting way didn't make him hit a bad wedge at the US Open last year, or lead to Cameron Smith shooting 64 at St Andrews. You can have both things. Arnold Palmer and Seve didn't win any majors late in their career but people still cared what they had to say.

Edited by Dave230
  • Like 1

Koepka doesn't have a lot of views to share about the tour and such, because as well all know Koepka only cares about himself. 

• Like 1

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Long Irons: Ping Zings 2 Iron, 3 Iron 

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 or Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW or Hogan Redline's 1988 4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  , 80s Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  60s Wilson Sandy Andy

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

Ball: Yellow Srixon Q Stars

Ok...it was a bit of trolling.  But really, ditch the pre-tournament presser, or ask better questions. The post round stuff is great.  Rory was an easy target, but I am a fan and it would be a good story if he can win a major again....for 10 minutes.

The thing about current Rory, because he is still the mouth piece, is I suspect he's angling for LIV money.  His 180 on the current state is not simply a reaction to "betrayal".  He was fine with Phil getting $200M as Rory makes more.  He was fine with the likes of Sergio, Poulter, and Westwood leaving, they are no threat.  But $500M+ Rahm?!?!  Now he's feeling he has to get his, but first he has to unwind all his past talk.

The media is eating this up and now we are treated with the dumb "takes".  

I can't believe you all missed the Bull Durham reference 😉

4 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Because we’re not entitled to his daily thoughts or mood changes. It’s making a mockery out of certain folks.  He could learn a lot by taking a class from Tiger.  I’m not in the camp of fans that thinks we’re entitled to interrogate a player once a day.  

Ah yes, I remember the early Tiger pressers. No one gave a thirty minute presser and said absolutely nothing like Tiger. He kept it golf course related and never told anyone what he was working on, He completely controlled the presser or interview...

• Like 2