2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Different tee boxes in a group - how common is this?

I often play with my wife, so we're using at least two tee boxes on every hole. Depending upon who we're playing with, I will play tees that range from 6,000 - 6,600 yards. These days, much past 6600 just isn't fun.

I will always tell others "play from whatever tees will make your round fun ... heck, if you want to tee it up at the 150 yard marker and it with a putter, go for it!"

That always gets a laugh, and makes people comfortable with choosing whatever they want.

• Like 2

When I play with my FIL and his buddies we usually play from at least 2 different tee boxes. He’s about 30 years older than me so playing from the same tee boxes isn’t realistic anymore. It makes it more fun for both of us compared to if he played back where I am or if I played up where he is.  Neither of us are shooting course records so having a good time is the number 1 priority and using different tees has really helped with that. 

• Like 3

On 2/2/2024 at 12:57 PM, Augster said:

Not to throw math into the equation, but if everyone in a foursome wastes only 10 seconds per hole, you add 12 minutes to your round. If they waste 20 seconds, it’s 24 minutes added. 

Playing extra tee boxes, if the forward players don’t go forward and are hitting while the back players are still on the move DEFINITELY takes longer to play. 

We have a player that slows down our entire round. He plays all the way up, but comes to the back tees to watch everyone hit then BS on the way to his tee. Then we all have to stop and watch his preshot routine and hit. Then we can all keep moving. That delay, every hole, adds time. 

Now, if your group is always waiting on shots for the group ahead, it doesn’t matter. Where it does add the time is on an open course ahead of you. 

In conclusion, here’s my findings. If the course is busy and you’ll be waiting on every tee anyway, play as many tee boxes as you’d like. But if the course is empty ahead of you, playing extra boxes WILL make you play slower if the up boxes don’t go to those boxes efficiently. And you’ll be unnecessarily holding up groups behind you. 

Ah, I'm surprised it took this long for Fast Golf (tm) to rear its ugly head in this discussions. Missed in your "math" is that forcing a shorter hitter to play further back will inevitably cause them to take longer approach shots, which will inevitably will cause them to miss more greens and take additional strokes. So the handful of minutes you save will be eaten up. I see it time and time again in a group at our club that requires everyone to play from the tips. 

I usually play with my wife, and we play from different tees. I take my shot, we walk (or ride) up, and she takes hers. We do, gasp, BS on the way to her tee. Time "wasted" is minimal, and we both have more fun playing off the tees appropriate to our respective skill levels. In a random group, I play from the appropriate tee regardless of where the others are playing, and have never had a complaint.

I've said this before here and I'll say it again: If you're primary concern on the golf course is the well being of the people behind you, you're doing it wrong. I'm not going to force anyone in my group to play a tee they don't want to play under the theory that the guy behind me gets home 10 minutes sooner. Ask to play through, or plan your day better. 

• Like 3

On 1/28/2024 at 7:56 AM, tleader said:

Play with my nephew all the time.  He’s gone from hitting tee shots 20 yards from our tee box, to keeping up with us from the reds. He tees off first, then waits for us to hit from the blues. 

Play whatever box/order keeps up pace, and maintains enjoyment of the game. 

This is the key ... Play the tee you enjoy, but be respectful and tee off in an order that makes sense.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

4 hours ago, shankasaurus rex said:

Ah, I'm surprised it took this long for Fast Golf (tm) to rear its ugly head in this discussions. Missed in your "math" is that forcing a shorter hitter to play further back will inevitably cause them to take longer approach shots, which will inevitably will cause them to miss more greens and take additional strokes. So the handful of minutes you save will be eaten up. I see it time and time again in a group at our club that requires everyone to play from the tips. 

I usually play with my wife, and we play from different tees. I take my shot, we walk (or ride) up, and she takes hers. We do, gasp, BS on the way to her tee. Time "wasted" is minimal, and we both have more fun playing off the tees appropriate to our respective skill levels. In a random group, I play from the appropriate tee regardless of where the others are playing, and have never had a complaint.

I've said this before here and I'll say it again: If you're primary concern on the golf course is the well being of the people behind you, you're doing it wrong. I'm not going to force anyone in my group to play a tee they don't want to play under the theory that the guy behind me gets home 10 minutes sooner. Ask to play through, or plan your day better. 

+100. The logic makes no sense. The primary purpose of different tees is to (roughly) equalize distance to compensate for differences in different players' shot lengths. If a guy plays the tips, and his wife plays the women's, she may be teeing off 30 yards in front of him. So time is (allegedly) "wasted". But is it? If they tee off together from the same tee, his second shot will be 30 yards in front of her. If you have two (or more) players with a big difference in basic distance, the only question is whether that gets equalized on the tee, or on the second shot.

Right? Where's the wasted time? She waits for him to tee off, then they walk to her forward tees and she tees off. Or, they tee off together, walk to the second shot, where he waits for her to hit it, then they walk together to his. 

Both will take roughly the same amount of time, no? (Except - in the case of the latter, she will often need to add an entire additional shot to the hole itself.)

I've almost never seen foursomes playing different tees slow a course down. I do occasionally see course bottlenecks come from foursomes of ego-driven jackalopes all playing from the tips, when their games aren't remotely good enough. In practice, IMO far more PoP problems arise from people playing tees not suited to their games than come from groups using different tees that are suited to their games.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

2 hours ago, bobfoster said:

+100. The logic makes no sense. The primary purpose of different tees is to (roughly) equalize distance to compensate for differences in different players' shot lengths. If a guy plays the tips, and his wife plays the women's, she may be teeing off 30 yards in front of him. So time is (allegedly) "wasted". But is it? If they tee off together from the same tee, his second shot will be 30 yards in front of her. If you have two (or more) players with a big difference in basic distance, the only question is whether that gets equalized on the tee, or on the second shot.

Right? Where's the wasted time? She waits for him to tee off, then they walk to her forward tees and she tees off. Or, they tee off together, walk to the second shot, where he waits for her to hit it, then they walk together to his. 

Both will take roughly the same amount of time, no? (Except - in the case of the latter, she will often need to add an entire additional shot to the hole itself.)

I've almost never seen foursomes playing different tees slow a course down. I do occasionally see course bottlenecks come from foursomes of ego-driven jackalopes all playing from the tips, when their games aren't remotely good enough. In practice, IMO far more PoP problems arise from people playing tees not suited to their games than come from groups using different tees that are suited to their games.

The only way time isn’t wasted is if the further up tee box player goes to that tee box and hits expediently. 

IF they hang out at the back tee box, and wait for the back tee box players to finish hitting and finish putting their clubs away, then walks with them to the front tee box, then does their preshot routine, all while the other players are just standing around watching instead of walking, then the player finally hits, and they can all carry on. 

That time simply cannot be made up. It’s already gone. And it’ll be gone on the next tee. And the next. Etc. 

Regardless of tee box, even time spent chatting instead of moving, or hitting, costs time. That time adds up. 

One given in golf is that one can’t explain how to play quicker to slow players. Slow players strike out with every (slow) fiber of their being when challenged. As seen in this thread, and  on courses everywhere all over the world every day. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Don't be a possibly long hitter, who is holding up the group from the tips or blues,
while they play shorter tees.   

Don't let a short/SR golfer come back to the White/Blue/Tips, just to be with you.   

There are plenty of regular foursomes, where one or two are blue or tips players, 
but they allow C/D flight friends to play back there with them.    Don't do that. 

Multi tees are fine if they are the correct tees.         

On 2/2/2024 at 12:57 PM, Augster said:

Not to throw math into the equation, but if everyone in a foursome wastes only 10 seconds per hole, you add 12 minutes to your round. If they waste 20 seconds, it’s 24 minutes added. 

Playing extra tee boxes, if the forward players don’t go forward and are hitting while the back players are still on the move DEFINITELY takes longer to play. 

We have a player that slows down our entire round. He plays all the way up, but comes to the back tees to watch everyone hit then BS on the way to his tee. Then we all have to stop and watch his preshot routine and hit. Then we can all keep moving. That delay, every hole, adds time. 

Now, if your group is always waiting on shots for the group ahead, it doesn’t matter. Where it does add the time is on an open course ahead of you. 

In conclusion, here’s my findings. If the course is busy and you’ll be waiting on every tee anyway, play as many tee boxes as you’d like. But if the course is empty ahead of you, playing extra boxes WILL make you play slower if the up boxes don’t go to those boxes efficiently. And you’ll be unnecessarily holding up groups behind you. 

Just because your group can't handle it efficiently doesn't mean everybody can't. I'm guessing the guy slowing down your group is going to find a way to be slow no matter where he tees off from.

1 hour ago, Augster said:

The only way time isn’t wasted is if the further up tee box player goes to that tee box and hits expediently. 

IF they hang out at the back tee box, and wait for the back tee box players to finish hitting and finish putting their clubs away, then walks with them to the front tee box, then does their preshot routine, all while the other players are just standing around watching instead of walking, then the player finally hits, and they can all carry on. 

That time simply cannot be made up. It’s already gone. And it’ll be gone on the next tee. And the next. Etc. 

Regardless of tee box, even time spent chatting instead of moving, or hitting, costs time. That time adds up.

And hits quickly ?

This is about different tees sets, no ? If someone ISN'T going to hit when ready, it's a "be ready when it's your turn" issue. So NOT a different tee issue.

Last statement ? Same-same. NOT a different tee issue.

I don't see you disputing what shanks said - about the short hitter playing too far back for his distance level and likely spraying shots all over the place and having to look for lost balls while trying to "keep up" wit da big boys - or don't you think that's a valid argument ? :classic_blink:

And IMO likely cost considerably more time than simply walking up 20-3o yards to his more forward teeing area.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

5 hours ago, Augster said:

One given in golf is that one can’t explain how to play quicker to slow players. Slow players strike out with every (slow) fiber of their being when challenged. As seen in this thread, and  on courses everywhere all over the world every day. 

Well first, just factually wrong. The primary determinant of time on any given hole is length - and the number of strokes. Basic, average goals (rule of thumb used by course architects) are 10 minutes for a foursome to play a par 3, 13 minutes to play a par 4, and 16 to play a par 5. While a golf shot itself takes less than 2 or 3 seconds, what a shot really is composed of is arriving at the ball, putting the bag down, getting a distance, choosing a club, and doing the pre-shot routine, hitting the ball, putting the club away, and picking the bag back up. Further, one of the most widely known and tracked stats is "GIR". Par golf always assume a two putt. So a  GIR on a par 3 is one stroke. On a par 4 two strokes. On a par 5 three strokes. The difference in those times (10/13/16) comes from sheer strokes. A foursome all shooting par on a par 3 needs 12 strokes. On a par 4, 16 strokes. On a par 5, 20 strokes. 

If two old guys that should play the most forward tees instead play the back tees (simply so all four people can use the same tee box), every par 4 will (functionally) be a par 5 for them, and every par 5 a par 6. They simply wouldn't be able to be on the green in two on a par 4. A 370 par 4 from the tips, the young folks hit a 220 drive, have a 150 7i/8i mid-iron to the green. The old guys with a 170 drive still have 200 to the hole - i.e., to get a GIR, they'd need to hit a 3FW off the deck that is 30 yards longer than their driver off the tee. Not going to happen. That is why there are different tee boxes. 

So on a par 4, with two old guys and two young guys (all of them decent golfers) teeing from their appropriate tees - you'd need 16 shots. If all four played from the back tees, that would require 18 shots. And that would be the most minimum of differences - which would only be amplified by the fact that very few foursomes all shoot par.

But the bigger issue is the attitude. The primary purpose of golf is not to finish as fast as possible. The vast majority of foursomes are friends and playing buddies. They go out and certainly try to shoot well, but another equally big part (sometimes the biggest) is hanging with friends. Having a great time. Sometimes with friendly wagers. That "time spent chatting" that you so deride as "costing" time is actually a good part of what a lot of folks are doing on the course in the first place. I don't know of anyone I play with that would think in terms of "well, if each golfer wastes 10 second per hole, that adds up to 12 minutes per round. I mean, seriously?

There are some "givens" in golf. One is an average 4 hour round. The vast majority of golfers will be on top of a Bell curve +/- 15 minutes of that. But Bell curves always have tails.

At one extreme end will be those that are obscenely low. The foursomes that are drinking. Or are oblivious to common courtesy. Or play the tips because while in distance they can bomb it, their games are so bad that a couple are taking a provisional off every tee. These people will lash out at anyone (including even rangers) that suggest they speed up. 

At the other extreme end are the speed freaks. Often misanthropes, that consider any foursome in front of them that is not "optimizing" for speed and efficiency to be irritations to be spoken about in disparaging, condescending terms. These people, of course, will "strike out" with every fiber of their (meth head) being when challenged. ("As seen in this thread."). Or even if it is just suggested that they chill the hell out and enjoy nature. 

I have several local foursomes I play with off and on during the season. Mostly serious golfers, but we also have just a kick of a time. One is me and another woman slightly younger, and an old couple. We commonly play from three tee boxes. We do a lot of wasteful "chatting". But we are all courteous - which fundamentally (in terms of PoP) simply means keeping up with the group ahead of us. Which we never have a problem doing despite playing from three tees (in fact, precisely because we each play from the tees best suited for our different games). 

Golf is, and always has been, part sport, and part social event. The basic norm - a four hour round - takes into account both the game and the social aspects. Want to play unusually slower, and other golfers will get irritated, and the rangers might say something if you bottleneck the whole course behind you. Want to fixate on speed and play unusually faster, and you'll get irritated at pretty much the entire golfing world, who will just feel slightly sad for you when you complain about it.

I (unfortunately) have to drive the NJ Turnpike into NYC now and then. Speed limit on most of it is 65. Which means normal traffic (the vast majority of drivers) are going between 65 and 75 (yeah I know the low end of the norm is the actual speed limit, but in practice, unless it is rush hour, people are generally going at least 70 - 75 ... that's just NJ). A few (usually older folks) are going 55 or 60. Then there are a few that do 80, even not infrequently 85 or 90, and will actually honk at someone in front of them that dares drive the speed limit. They are a**holes piss everyone off, and can cause accidents. This is like that.  

My purpose for nearly every round I play is simply to shoot a better score than the last round I played, and have a great time with my friends while I'm doing it. It is not to shave seconds off a damn stopwatch. Don't think it is for hardly anyone. 

We play this game for fun. IMO the people that have the most fun (and, as an aftereffect, produce the best Pop) are those that play from the tee boxes that give them a good chance at a GIR on every hole. 

Edited by bobfoster
  • Like 4

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

6 hours ago, bobfoster said:

Well first, just factually wrong. The primary determinant of time on any given hole is length - and the number of strokes.

Not disagreeing, but am curious if you've read "Out of Time" by Bill Yates?

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

I don't understand why people think that this stops at the tee - this is shortsighted in the realm of data and has not had anybody smart make it into information or even knowledge.  Pennywise, pound foolish.  Making every hole a par 5 for a short hitter, missing every green and having folks in your group that have to hit a few shots before they get to the longer shots is what slows stuff down.  Even then, more time is wasted around the green.

Long hitters moving up also does not help much.  When I was in a club, they made us all play from the whites in club events.  I would often be in a foursome where the other three would have to hit twice before I got to my ball.  That is 3 extra shots where I cannot do anything productive but wait... then all three of them cannot do anything productive until I hit.  If I played back a few tee boxes, then the pennies lost on the tee would be pounds as they all could start getting ready for their third shots at the same time is huge.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, st1800e said:

That book seems to be unavailable when I search the web.  

It is, in large part because he died, and his widow may or may not be able to reprint books, etc. But you can still find copies out there, and it's a good book that speaks to the real reasons for slow play. Often it's the golf course (setup, signage, order and length of holes, etc.) that affects pace of play, not the golfers themselves as much.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

In a group where I am the single, I will always play my own box. I typically succumb to peer pressure when I play with a group of people I know, mainly because they want to play a game of some sort and not try to sort out handicaps via different course handicaps from different tees, etc. 

But as an example, I am going on spring break next week and I will play a notoriously tight and treacherous golf course (typical Florida course with OB on both sides of almost every hole and water everywhere). I play this course at 5,700 yds and it is a par 72. I am an able bodied man who hits it okayish distance (265 carry with a driver, 170 with a 7 iron). Almost EVERY time I play this course it is people who have never played it (I play as a random single) and they tee up at 6,300 yds and lose a dozen balls each. I don't lecture anyone on the first tee or warn them (I used to, no one cares) and I have no idea what their skill level is so maybe they can handle it. In this instance, I have no issues with playing a different tee box. 

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

It is, in large part because he died, and his widow may or may not be able to reprint books, etc. But you can still find copies out there, and it's a good book that speaks to the real reasons for slow play. Often it's the golf course (setup, signage, order and length of holes, etc.) that affects pace of play, not the golfers themselves as much.

The/A problem is, SO many experienced golfers, even including some club pros, tell golfers that they should ALWAYS be just about ready to hit as soon as the group in front of them is moving out of the way.

Given the items you are talking about that is basically impossible.

I've tried explaining it many times, including just last week, - they just don't/won't hear you. About the only thing they will concede is that the golf course most often backs up, and frees up, in the same places round after round after round.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

10 hours ago, bobfoster said:

Well first, just factually wrong. The primary determinant of time on any given hole is length - and the number of strokes. Basic, average goals (rule of thumb used by course architects) are 10 minutes for a foursome to play a par 3, 13 minutes to play a par 4, and 16 to play a par 5. While a golf shot itself takes less than 2 or 3 seconds, what a shot really is composed of is arriving at the ball, putting the bag down, getting a distance, choosing a club, and doing the pre-shot routine, hitting the ball, putting the club away, and picking the bag back up. Further, one of the most widely known and tracked stats is "GIR". Par golf always assume a two putt. So a  GIR on a par 3 is one stroke. On a par 4 two strokes. On a par 5 three strokes. The difference in those times (10/13/16) comes from sheer strokes. A foursome all shooting par on a par 3 needs 12 strokes. On a par 4, 16 strokes. On a par 5, 20 strokes. 

If two old guys that should play the most forward tees instead play the back tees (simply so all four people can use the same tee box), every par 4 will (functionally) be a par 5 for them, and every par 5 a par 6. They simply wouldn't be able to be on the green in two on a par 4. A 370 par 4 from the tips, the young folks hit a 220 drive, have a 150 7i/8i mid-iron to the green. The old guys with a 170 drive still have 200 to the hole - i.e., to get a GIR, they'd need to hit a 3FW off the deck that is 30 yards longer than their driver off the tee. Not going to happen. That is why there are different tee boxes. 

So on a par 4, with two old guys and two young guys (all of them decent golfers) teeing from their appropriate tees - you'd need 16 shots. If all four played from the back tees, that would require 18 shots. And that would be the most minimum of differences - which would only be amplified by the fact that very few foursomes all shoot par.

But the bigger issue is the attitude. The primary purpose of golf is not to finish as fast as possible. The vast majority of foursomes are friends and playing buddies. They go out and certainly try to shoot well, but another equally big part (sometimes the biggest) is hanging with friends. Having a great time. Sometimes with friendly wagers. That "time spent chatting" that you so deride as "costing" time is actually a good part of what a lot of folks are doing on the course in the first place. I don't know of anyone I play with that would think in terms of "well, if each golfer wastes 10 second per hole, that adds up to 12 minutes per round. I mean, seriously?

There are some "givens" in golf. One is an average 4 hour round. The vast majority of golfers will be on top of a Bell curve +/- 15 minutes of that. But Bell curves always have tails.

At one extreme end will be those that are obscenely low. The foursomes that are drinking. Or are oblivious to common courtesy. Or play the tips because while in distance they can bomb it, their games are so bad that a couple are taking a provisional off every tee. These people will lash out at anyone (including even rangers) that suggest they speed up. 

At the other extreme end are the speed freaks. Often misanthropes, that consider any foursome in front of them that is not "optimizing" for speed and efficiency to be irritations to be spoken about in disparaging, condescending terms. These people, of course, will "strike out" with every fiber of their (meth head) being when challenged. ("As seen in this thread."). Or even if it is just suggested that they chill the hell out and enjoy nature. 

I have several local foursomes I play with off and on during the season. Mostly serious golfers, but we also have just a kick of a time. One is me and another woman slightly younger, and an old couple. We commonly play from three tee boxes. We do a lot of wasteful "chatting". But we are all courteous - which fundamentally (in terms of PoP) simply means keeping up with the group ahead of us. Which we never have a problem doing despite playing from three tees (in fact, precisely because we each play from the tees best suited for our different games). 

Golf is, and always has been, part sport, and part social event. The basic norm - a four hour round - takes into account both the game and the social aspects. Want to play unusually slower, and other golfers will get irritated, and the rangers might say something if you bottleneck the whole course behind you. Want to fixate on speed and play unusually faster, and you'll get irritated at pretty much the entire golfing world, who will just feel slightly sad for you when you complain about it.

I (unfortunately) have to drive the NJ Turnpike into NYC now and then. Speed limit on most of it is 65. Which means normal traffic (the vast majority of drivers) are going between 65 and 75 (yeah I know the low end of the norm is the actual speed limit, but in practice, unless it is rush hour, people are generally going at least 70 - 75 ... that's just NJ). A few (usually older folks) are going 55 or 60. Then there are a few that do 80, even not infrequently 85 or 90, and will actually honk at someone in front of them that dares drive the speed limit. They are a**holes piss everyone off, and can cause accidents. This is like that.  

My purpose for nearly every round I play is simply to shoot a better score than the last round I played, and have a great time with my friends while I'm doing it. It is not to shave seconds off a damn stopwatch. Don't think it is for hardly anyone. 

We play this game for fun. IMO the people that have the most fun (and, as an aftereffect, produce the best Pop) are those that play from the tee boxes that give them a good chance at a GIR on every hole. 

Freakin' bravo. The idea that someone is looking at an enjoyable hobby (that isn't racing) primarily as "how can I save a few seconds on this hole" is beyond ridiculous. 

19 hours ago, Augster said:

The time it takes for different folks to play the appropriate tee boxes (which are there to be played) is what it takes —- it isn’t “wasted”.  

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Augster said:

Augster, this isn't aimed at you specifically as others have voiced pretty much the same thoughts in this thread. 

Apparently, I play a pretty unusual course because we have no holes where the back tee is farther away from the green just played than the most forward tee. In fact, there are 10 holes where the back tee is the first tee you come to when leaving the previous green. 

We have 4 sets of tees that go 5200, 5900, 6600, and 7100. 

• 2 weeks later...

Played with a group of randos a few weeks ago.  Four different tee boxes, 3:55 minute Saturday round, we waited in a lot of the fairways for the group in front of us and everybody had fun.

I played Black at 7200, 2 dudes from gold (former blue) and blue (former white) and a lady from the red.  My ball was usually very close to the rest of them, so this was well done, IMO.  After I teed off, put the Big Dog away and started walking and never stopped... each was done hitting when I got to their tee box.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/21/2024 at 10:09 AM, vandyfan said:

So I had this experience yesterday. 

I played a somewhat demanding golf course that has OB on a lot of holes and material elevation change on a lot of holes. I play this course from the white tees which are about 6,100 yds -- my avg driver distance is 260 yds / avg 7 iron (32.5*) carry is 165 yds / I am a 3-5 HDCP. I played with 3 guys, all in their 50s, who played from the Blue tees which is about 6,500 yds. The longest of these 3 guys probably hit their driver 240 yds. The other two *maybe* could get it out there about 215 yds. I noted that all 3 had to hit fairway woods on 2 out of the 4 par 3s. There were at least 3 par 4s that they could not reach in 2 even with a good drive and one of the par 5s that plays 575 yds from the blues each player had to go Driver + Fairway wood + Long iron to try to reach the green (2/3 still did not). 

When we were meeting on the first tee they asked what tees I was playing from and I noted "white" and one of the guys said "beginner, huh?" I just said, "Something like that." There was never any mention of it throughout the round, did not seem to slow play down. Not that anyone cares but I shot 73 and the next closest score from the 3 gentlemen listed above was 87. Did they have fun? At least one guy seemed to. Would they have had more fun from the white tees? I can't say, it all depends on if their ego would allow it. 

I am patting myself on the back for not saying "I'm not good enough to play from the Blues", that was a personal win for me. Working on being less smug. 

I don't understand the mentality of the guys you played with ... How is it fun to hit woods into the majority of holes, and have no chance to reach quite a few holes? 

And it's not about scoring ... It's about experiencing the course the way it was designed to be played.

On 2/1/2024 at 12:01 AM, Mr. Bean said:

Leave all woods home and use your irons only. Excellent form of practice.

Or challenge yourself hitting driver from tees that are often not as accommodating for drivers.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

On 2/2/2024 at 11:57 AM, Augster said:

Ah, but what if they all waste the same ten seconds?🤣 Then it would only be three minutes total.  They can more than make that up by not stopping at the turn.

Point being…..even if someone “wastes” ten seconds per hole they can easily make it up in other ways.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar