2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Callaway AI Smoke Triple Diamond MAX?

TmagBryce

2 hours ago, Cstobaugh said:

Makes sense thanks. My GG doesn’t have them in store, so it would be shipped. Any idea what the turn around is on that? 

Mine just shipped and FedEx says it’s delivering Sunday. 

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9° Project X Denali Blue 60

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Wilson Staff Model RB Utility (3 or 4?) HZRDUS Gen 4 Black 90

Wilson Dynapower Forged 5-G UST Recoil Dart 105

Wilson Staff Model ZM 56°-12° (Bent to 55°) and 60°-06° 

Royal Payne RP009 359g KBS GPS

Picked up a 9° TD Max yesterday and played 18 with it this morning. 

Had to play the stock Denali blue 60g 6.0 shaft as I’ve been using Cobra drivers the last couple years and didn’t have time to something else for the Cally. I did have a 70g TX Hulk with a Callaway adapter on it, so I tried that for a hole today and went back to the Denali instantly. 

I had the best driving day in a long time today. Consistently in the fairway and out driving my 3 playing partners. Fades, draws and straight down the middle. The TD Max is very easy to hit and long. Can’t wait to see how it performs once I have a shaft built for it. 

• Like 4

Well never thought I'd see the day where I wanted/played a Callaway driver, but it appears to be on the horizon if I can track one down.

Hit the 9* with stock Denali 6.5 against my Darkspeed LS 10.5 (-1) and spin instantly jumped into a more manageable window at 2500 with my ball of choice, 24 TP5x. Misses stayed closer to center. Also really enjoyed the feel compared to the DS. This is definitely the kind of driver I should be playing. 

• Like 3

My WITB

Ai Smoke TD Max 9º N/+1 Tour AD VF 6x

TSi2 16.5º D1  LIN-Q M40x Blue 7F5

Sim Max 7w LIN-Q Gunmetal Concept 8F5 /// Stealth 2 Plus Rescue 19.5º Tour AD IZ 95x

ZX Utility 4i MMT 105tx

T150 5-PW Modus 115x

SM10 48F & 53F Modus 125x /// RTX Full Face 58º  Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon Garage Las Vegas H7 KBS CT Tour

Ball: TP5x or Prov1

On 6/12/2024 at 12:38 PM, dmeeksDC said:

Well, after scrambling to procure one of the few heads still out there in GG inventory (and I somehow ended up landing two when I did a curbside pickup attempt that I thought failed but it went through), I took my TD MAX 9 degree directly out for a round after I tested it on the Lake Presidential (Bowie, MD) range for 3 swings. If that didn’t go well I had the standard QI10 that I’ve been playing with me. But 3 swings with the TD MAX produced effortless drives hit well and down the middle, falling barely left. I put it in the bag.

And it made an impressive debut. I drove it super on 75 percent of the tee shots I hit during the round, hit a ton of greens in regulation because even the misses were producing very solid results. This head disregards the high toe miss and what I saw off a few low hits was impressive.

It’s a phenomenal driver, at least for what I need. It takes everything I liked about the Rogue LS and Paradym TD and blends it. Only it is a little better, more forgiving than either, a noticeable improvement. The flight window is very nice. The sound is excellent and it feels solid. It has a great look. I played it at standard settings. 

To each his own on the stock shaft. It was my first time hitting a Denali, the 60g Blue stiff, and I enjoyed it. I like shafts that feel fast and have a little liveliness. It worked great for me, no hint of the boardiness I don’t want. I felt very in control of the head but also could feel it whipping through impact. I’ll be trying a Ventus Red I have on hand, too. 

What was your configuration in the Paradym TD?  I currently play the Paradym TD in 10.5 turned down 1° and wondering if I should stay with same configuration moving to the AI TD Max ?  Appreciate anyone’s input and experience.

3 hours ago, JimmyD said:

What was your configuration in the Paradym TD?  I currently play the Paradym TD in 10.5 turned down 1° and wondering if I should stay with same configuration moving to the AI TD Max ?  Appreciate anyone’s input and experience.

I played the Paradym 10.5 at standard settings with a mid-launch shaft, a Diamana TB 60 stiff. I am playing the AI TD MAX at standard 9.0 with the Denali blue stiff stock shaft. 

My early observations are TD MAX flies a little higher so I get more ball speed with the 9 degree head. And it is better at ball speed retention on toe hits and low center strikes. 

I may or may not change settings. Will see how it goes. But I’m not changing drivers. It’s really good!

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

My Max TD hasn’t showed up yet so I snagged a standard TD for testing while I wait. 

Currently I play a Paradym TD and the Smoke TD, both 8* heads in standard setting, is more consistent. Standard deviations across the board are tighter, and overall was more forgiving. Launch was 2* higher and the Smoke spun 250 rpm’s more. The Smoke lacked the FU ball of the Paradym, but prefer formed very well. 

If the Max TD doesn’t work out I’ll happily play the Smoke TD. However, if I can dial in the Max closer to the Paradym launch with the Smoke spin, and get more forgiveness, this thing will be a unicorn driver. 

• Like 1

First round in with mine. Coming from TSR2 8° VF 7x I loved. Dropped the VF off to get fixed earlier in the week but builder didn’t get to it in time to use it. Had to use the KBS TD 70x. Also, I use midsize grips but this TD has standard. Saying that to say it wasn’t set up how I like it.

All I can say is: wow. Best driving round I’ve had in a while. Wants to go straight. Right side isn’t in play with this club. Long as anything else I’ve tried, though I can tell the spin is still up. That will come down when the VF is plugged in. I hit one so far out on the toe I almost missed the face and even it went dead straight. This thing is special. 

For context, I have two 10g weights in mine as I like heavier heads. 

• Like 3

AI Smoke TD Max 9* w/ AD VF 7x

AI Smoke TD 3W w/ Ventus Black 8x

Apex UW 19 w/ Denali Blue 80tx

G425 4H w/ Ventus Blue 9x

i530 5-U w/ AWT 2.0 S
CBX4 52/58

Phantom 11 LD

Finally got out on the course to do some testing after maintenance closure and wow. Dispersion and distance for me is the best of any driver I’ve hit in years. 

Here’s two photos of two holes I hit driver - hole 3 and 6 and the balls were no more than 5-10yds apart and right down the middle of the fairway. 

IMG_8600.jpeg

IMG_8602.jpeg

• Like 4

AITD MAX  10.5° + UB6 AIMAX 16.5° + 21° + 24° + UB6+7+8 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / JWS RW + MODUS120 / SPDRL-NCK+ CT 120

Had my first round with it coming from tsr3 10* head. Have 10.5 head w Denali blue 60s and dropped it to 9.5 on range, left to right dispersion was great, I’m not a great driver of the ball. Not sure if it spun too much or not, will have to hit it next to my titleist. 

any suggestions if I have to bring spin down ? Try to swap for a 9* head?

Edited by Liveonce

Got mine last week…played 3 rounds with it so far and it’s an absolute beast. I have two different shafts…Aldila Rogue White and UST Linq M40x blue. 

Reminds of the Epic Speed Triple Diamond that had the front and back weight…last time I hit a driver this good was when I was hitting that Epic Speed. 

Just ordered the Mini Driver so I had something to do with my TM Qi10. 

33 minutes ago, Cstobaugh said:

Has anyone compared TD max to TSR3?

A guy a earlier in the thread said his was longer, and took the TDM to BST.  

Driver: Paradym AI Smoke 💎💎💎 Max, 9 deg; HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black

Fairway Wood: Taylormade M6 15 degree

Titleist u510 2 iron

Srixon ZX5 4-PW; ACCRA iSteel 115

Wedges Vokey SM9 58/54/48

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 2 

3 hours ago, Cstobaugh said:

Yes. I have used the TSR3 a couple of times since its release but I prefer this head. I was very happy to see the ball flight I was getting on the range today with it. Today was the first time out and it was incredible. I am hitting it farther and more consistent. The TDM is the real deal. I’ve got mine set to -1 and draw and it’s dang near perfect. I also much prefer the feel of this head over the TSR3 which felt firm compared to the TDM.  

Callaway Ai Smoke TD Max 9° - Denali Blue 60 6.5

Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15° - Denali Black 70 6.0

Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW - Modus 115S

Vokey SM9 50/54/58 - S200

Bettinardi Studio Stock 35 Remix

Titleist Pro V1

Does anyone find this head to be high pitched when struck? Not in a disgusting PING-sounding-way but like a very loud crack. My Rogue ST and Paradym heads were like a muted crack but this is a much louder version of that. Maybe it's where I'm striking it on the head? It's not cracked I dont think because I'm hitting it fantastic but the sounds is different. I can play it no problem; just wondering.

AITD MAX  10.5° + UB6 AIMAX 16.5° + 21° + 24° + UB6+7+8 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / JWS RW + MODUS120 / SPDRL-NCK+ CT 120

25 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Does anyone find this head to be high pitched when struck? Not in a disgusting PING-sounding-way but like a very loud crack. My Rogue ST and Paradym heads were like a muted crack but this is a much louder version of that. Maybe it's where I'm striking it on the head? It's not cracked I dont think because I'm hitting it fantastic but the sounds is different. I can play it no problem; just wondering.

It's pretty muted to me. Very similar to the Smoke TD. What shaft do you have in it?

5 minutes ago, tomg1969 said:

It's pretty muted to me. Very similar to the Smoke TD. What shaft do you have in it?

Tour AD UB. Maybe it's just me and maybe I'm striking it high on the crown - still testing it out.

1 hour ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Tour AD UB. Maybe it's just me and maybe I'm striking it high on the crown - still testing it out.

Not just you, I find it loud and has quite a different sound vs the Paradym TD I was playing.  Like you, I don’t find it unplayable but just different.  I actually really liked the sound and feel off the Face ID the Paradym.  This feels and sounds a little more like hitting a tin can.  

Edited by Bigjim1022
  • Like 1

Am I right in thinking this is a limited run product from Callaway?

Edited by Gareth
Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5 degrees Driver/MCA Diamana GT 60 Stiff
Titleist TSR2+ 13.0 degree 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Ping G430 LST 3 wood/15.0 degree (@ 17)/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Ping G430 22.0 degree 4 hybrid/MCA Kai’Li White HY 80 Stiff
Taylormade P790 2021 5-PW irons/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 50 degree SB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 54 degree HB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Taylormade MG3 58 degree LB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Odyssey Ai One Cruiser Jail Bird 38” putter/Stroke Lab 140 double bend shaft
Taylormade TP5x/Titleist Pro V1x ball

Vessel/Cobra Tour bag 2022

17 hours ago, Cstobaugh said:

I have both, but haven’t compared the two side by side. I have the TSR3 in a GD XC shaft and TD Max with a Ventus Blue Velacore+ (just installed and played 1st round with the set up yesterday). I had the Ventus in a PXG Black Ops head and played the combo for a several rounds (at least 20+rounds). Overall, I grew to hate the Black Ops driver (also tried a couple of other shafts). Had a few good rounds with it, but overall, all this thing wanted to do is push right. On good days, it would have a baby fade and barely right to left. My miss was a topping the ball shot that would barely go 100 yards or in the think stuff between tee box and fairway. I basically found myself trying to conform to the driver vs. the driver just matching and conforming to me. Would have to put a crazy strong grip or close my stance or bow my wrists more to square up the face vs. my natural swing.

After playing a round yesterday with the Callaway TDM and Ventus Velocore+ setup, my prayers were answered. Everything was just online with a nice dispersion down the middle. Even on off swings, ball speed retention was great, and at worse would only have to use one club up vs a good strike on my approach yardage. On ‘great’ strikes, ball flight was amazing with a nice baby draw and mid to mid-high penetrating ball flight down the middle. I only had two bad shots, but that was mainly on me spinning out of my stance too early. At address, the looks down by the ball is perfect to my eye. I don’t like looking at big headed drivers (like the Black Ops), and found it similar in size with the TSR3 (though cosmetics are completely different), so felt really comfortable to me right off the bat.

Since I was already committed getting rid of the Black Ops, I ended up trading it in on the Callaway 2x promo for the AI Smoke Mini TI. I bought the Black Ops for $450 (with Heroes discount and getting $410 on the trade in. So basically consider it 20+ round trial for $40 🙂

Taking out the TDM again on a completely different course in a couple hours. Will have more updates to report later.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bigjim1022 said:

Not just you, I find it loud and has quite a different sound vs the Paradym TD I was playing.  Like you, I don’t find it unplayable but just different.  I actually really liked the sound and feel off the Face ID the Paradym.  This feels and sounds a little more like hitting a tin can.  

Time to either middle it or accept the fact you need your hearing checked. Nothing tin can about mine, and drove the ball great in the first 2 rounds only missing the fairway twice each day. Stock AV Blue fwiw.

1 minute ago, Brooks_Cupcake said:

Time to either middle it or accept the fact you need your hearing checked. Nothing tin can about mine, and drove the ball great in the first 2 rounds only missing the fairway twice each day. Stock AV Blue fwiw.

Maybe tin can isn’t the best description but it definitely has a different sound than the Paradyn TD, even out of the middle.  I probably should get my hearing checked though, just ask my wife 😂

• Haha 1

On 6/13/2024 at 10:54 AM, Red4282 said:

Curious how you would compare it to LTDX. Im still in LTDX, and I must say this driver has my eye, it pains me, because I honestly am not a callaway guy. 

2nd round with it today.  Think LTDX with way more forgiveness and more workable.  I put it in Neutral and had 0 hooks today.  Higher flight as well.  💯 Satisfied with the switch.  And I am sure adjustments can be made to make it better.  I haven't even tinkered with the weights yet.  

4th hole today, I thinned a drive.  Playing partner said, "if that was a low strike, that thing already payed for itself."

• Thanks 1

Driver: Paradym AI Smoke 💎💎💎 Max, 9 deg; HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black

Fairway Wood: Taylormade M6 15 degree

Titleist u510 2 iron

Srixon ZX5 4-PW; ACCRA iSteel 115

Wedges Vokey SM9 58/54/48

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 2