2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Missing your tee time...

On 2/11/2024 at 5:55 PM, Greenie said:

LOL...I am sort of that kind of guy you mention. The guy I do most of my stuff with is like you. He says he was raised if I am suppose to be somewhere at 12 and I show up at 12 I am late. I hear him say that quite often to me.

I take a different approach. I show up at a time that allows me to start on time but I don't show up that early that I am waiting around.  I am not the guy that shows up 5 mins before my tee time because that wouldn't allow me enough time to put on my shoes, pay, go to the bathroom and be ready to tee off on time. I am usually 15 mins early for tee times.

The guy I mention above he and I ride together when we are doing things together. He meets me at my house. We allow enough time to go to the places we are going. He has a problem with our meet time. We decide on a meet time to leave. If we are leaving at say 10am I am walking out the door a few minutes before and we are driving away at 10. This drives him crazy. He will usually show up 20 mins early. Sometimes he will call me on the phone and tell me he is outside waiting. I'll reply see you a few minutes before our agreed meet time and mention we will be leaving on time. That's when I hear if you are leaving on time then you are late. I don't see the need to leave early when we have already allowed for time to arrive early to the place we are going.

I joined a group to play with last year. Our first tee time together was 10 am. At 9:15 I get a call from one of the guys and he asks me where I am. I say I am across the street from the course at Dunkin Donuts having breakfast. He asks me what time will I be ready to tee off. I replied I was told 10 so I'll be ready shortly before 10. Our second time together I get phone call 45 mins before our tee time. Same question. I replied I'll be there in time to tee off on time.

I asked if the group had an issue with me because I was getting phone calls. I assured them I was reliable. I was told they like to show up 45 mins early. I told the guys. I'll never be late. I'll never be to early that I am waiting around. I'll always be ready on the tee box for our tee time. A couple of the guys didn't care for what I said. So whatever our time is I show up 45 mins. early and sit around waiting. I don't see the point in it but the other guys are happy with me now.

I would never call someone 45 minutes early to ask where they are and be bothered that they weren't there. I get there that early because I have to warm up and loosen by old broken down back up before I play. The only time it bothers me is when our tee time is 12:00, and it's 11:59 and he is just walking to the cart to head to the tee box. When we were both members at our old course before it shut down, there were several times I grabbed a ball and my driver and just walked to the first tee while he lolligagged and dilly-dallied around doing whatever it was he should have done 10 minutes earlier. 

My wife and daughter are also the get somewhere at the time kind of people. If it is a 15 minute drive to get somewhere, I'm pacing around the house telling my wife we need to go until 16 minutes before we need to be there and it drives me insane, lol. 

• Like 2

I've been late to the course for my tee time maybe a handful of times in my 35 years of golfing.  I was lucky enough to avoid being sent home and the starter always managed to squeeze my group in.  I've learned to always check google maps about 2 hours before my tee time and constantly check to make sure there's enough time to get there to arrive at least 30 minutes before tee off.  I'm not a big warm up hitting balls guy due to age and past injuries so I usually do light stretching and take about 30 practice swings either on the side of the putting green or around the tee box then I'm off to the races. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

• 2 weeks later...

In 30 plus years I have never been late for a competitve or ordinary tee time. Like some others, I know how long it will take me to get to a given course with at least 45 minutes of time to loosen up. There was a time when I had a regular foursome, we had one person who was always late appearing for a regular Sunday tee time. Eventually we got so tired of him being late we set one morning without him. When he finally caught up with us, naturally an argument arose with him storming off and never joing us again.

Edited by Jolter
  • Like 1

Ping G430 SFT 10.5

Ping G425 SFT 3W, 5W

Ping G410 4H

Ping G425 Irons 5-LW

Ping Sigma2 Anser Platinum

Putter Odyssey White Hot Tour #1

Titleist Tour Speed/AVX

Titleist 14 Way Hybrid Golf Bag

On 2/9/2024 at 11:39 AM, tatertot said:

Huh ... A lot of guys at my course think "tee time" is only a suggestion and see nothing wrong with pulling in the parking lot 5 minutes after their allotted time.

Sounds like my friend group, i tell them our times 20-30 mins earlier then it is and they STILL cut it close.. sigh.. lol

• Like 1

Our group typically tees off in one of the first two or three times every weekend, so between 630am and 7am. It is just an understood thing, if you are running late, we are leaving without you and you can catch up. There are some guys that always want to play early, but seem to have a hard time getting there on time, so they will typically join us out on 2 or 3. No hard feelings, but we aren't going to wait around and back things up, so we just tee off. Then again, its not unreasonable at our course to tee off as a single or twosome, and by the fifth or sixth hole, we have 4 or 5 guys playing. People check the tee sheet and just come down and join up if there is a fun group playing.   

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 Max

Fairway: Ping G425 Max

Hybrid: Adams Pro Black

Irons (5 to U): Ping I525

Wedges (56, 60): Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth

Putter: Bettinardi BB5

Fifteen years of tournaments and not late once.  Playing golf since the 90s, and only late for my tee time once, late last year, due to a semi involved fatality accident.  Called the Pro, he said not to worry.  We arrived 35 min late, he got us out inside 15 mins.  

If I have an appointment time, I am always early.  

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

On 2/27/2024 at 10:43 AM, Ajota said:

Sounds like my friend group, i tell them our times 20-30 mins earlier then it is and they STILL cut it close.. sigh.. lol

I have a few acquaintances like that.  I suspect part of the reason their careers topped out years back.  They play fast and loose with golf and life.  They often dress on the way to our tee times.  They came to my HR looking and I said no.

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

On 2/27/2024 at 1:43 PM, Ajota said:

I have a friend like that. He thinks tee times are when you should arrive at the course, not when you should be standing on the tee box. Our time will be at 2:30 and he will zip into the parking lot at 2:28 and tell me he is right on time.

• Like 1

In High School our team van broke down, so the whole team was late. That wasn't my fault.

I was late one time due to myself, I was playing with friends at course about 30 minutes away. I got there about 2 hours early, was going to have breakfast and make some calls rather than go to my office. Well the pro was in the bar in the restaurant drinking a white russian at 0730. This guy has bounced around for years, he was Asst Pro at my home course when I was a kid. So I went over and he was telling me he was just fired as his course got bought out by a franchise course, and they were bringing in a new pro. He had found out in a phone call 10 minutes before I saw him.

I felt bad, so I started drinking with him (on an empty stomach) and reminiscing. My friends arrived, and saw my truck so they figured I was practicing, or in the toilet, they got to first tee having never seen me. When they got to the on deck area, and I wasn't, they started assuming something was wrong.  My phone was on my table on the other side of the bar with my notebook and there was like 30 calls and texts on it. At tee time I look out from the bar and see my buddy run across the pro shop into the bathroom and it dawned on me I lost track of time. I thought when I sat down with the pro we would have a drink and I would be waiting for my group on the range. But one thing led to another. . . 

I threw money on the bar, ran to my rig passing my enraged buddy in the lobby, and ran to the first tee about 4 minutes late, with my golf shoes in my hand. Starter chirping at me the whole time (as he should).

Would love to say that I had the round of my life, but I played badly like a guy who was drunk and late for a tee time would play. I covered my partner's bet due to my performance.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I don't play in tournaments do I've never been late to one, but I have had to cancel or miss tee times due to life. I'm like the person earlier that doesn't like waiting around. When it comes to tee times, I'm usually on the tee box, warmed up and ready to go when the time comes.

• Like 1

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

When I worked at a country club, we had a few state tournaments. Our city is in the eastern time zone, and most of the rest of the state is on central. We always had a few miss their time by an hour. They simply just forgot about the time difference. And there were a few that showed up as they were being called to the tee. 

• Like 1

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

On 4/17/2024 at 6:39 PM, BrianMcG said:

When I worked at a country club, we had a few state tournaments. Our city is in the eastern time zone, and most of the rest of the state is on central. We always had a few miss their time by an hour. They simply just forgot about the time difference. And there were a few that showed up as they were being called to the tee. 

This almost happened to me once.  I was living in FL, my wife was working in Alabama for a few months.  I went up to her place Friday and then drove to Atlanta for a round of golf Sat morning.  We showed up at what we thought was 0915 for our 1000 time and checked in to the shop learned it was actually 1015 but there was a frost delay and they were sending people out with a 1030 shotgun start.

I did miss a tee time during covid.  I was hosting some people and the course is behind a gate.  Normally guests can just drive in if they say they are playing golf but with covid they tightened access.  I thought if they got in my car they could go in with no problems...wasn't the case and we had to go get a visitor pass and they had to show their vaccination cards and stuff.  The line to get the visitor pass was super long and took an hour and a half.  We got to the course 15 min after our tee time but the same thing happened to someone that was 30 min after our time so we went straight to the tee.

Edited by act0fgod
  • Like 1

So I'll mirror what a few guys have said...the morning game with 16-24 players, first tee times out of the gate and our club plays fast in the am.  There's always the one guy in the group that is rolling into the parking lot 5 mins before his team's tee time.  Some people are like whatever, some are not happy.  I run the game so feel obligated to to remedy the situation but a few times the groups behind ours were like "no you lost your tee time," because they know why "we" are late.  Ouch.  So next time late person shows up 5 mins late to the tee not ready to hit a ball, then asks what's the game today (after 2 emails give teams, format, and tee times). I lost my sh!t and told him nobody is his secretary or butler, so get here 5 mins before the tee time ready to hit the ball, glove on, club in one hand, tee and ball in the other so everyone can enjoy the round including the guys behind us.  The round of applause from the groups behind us was funny.  Seriously, he was mad, said he's not working anymore and this is to be fun and relaxing.   🤷‍♂️

Every club and group has the similar story...you wonder why evolution takes a millennium or two 🤣

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, GolfnGatorNC said:

So I'll mirror what a few guys have said...the morning game with 16-24 players, first tee times out of the gate and our club plays fast in the am.  There's always the one guy in the group that is rolling into the parking lot 5 mins before his team's tee time.  Some people are like whatever, some are not happy.  I run the game so feel obligated to to remedy the situation but a few times the groups behind ours were like "no you lost your tee time," because they know why "we" are late.  Ouch.  So next time late person shows up 5 mins late to the tee not ready to hit a ball, then asks what's the game today (after 2 emails give teams, format, and tee times). I lost my sh!t and told him nobody is his secretary or butler, so get here 5 mins before the tee time ready to hit the ball, glove on, club in one hand, tee and ball in the other so everyone can enjoy the round including the guys behind us.  The round of applause from the groups behind us was funny.  Seriously, he was mad, said he's not working anymore and this is to be fun and relaxing.   🤷‍♂️

Every club and group has the similar story...you wonder why evolution takes a millennium or two 🤣

Yep that guy is everywhere. I have a guy in my group very similar. I'll take it a step farther. On top of what you have mentioned my guy is the poor etiquette guy. This guy talks during your back swing, stands behind you , stands on your line when putting, never fixes ball marks, the list goes on. 

I have been talking directly to him about the issues I and the other guys are experiencing with him and he doesn't get it. He said we are not pros, I am out to have fun and to relax. He doesn't think showing up on the first tee late is a big deal. Right away he begins talking while the other guys are teeing off. One of the guys said last week "and so it begins again" as this guy shows up.

Not many enjoy playing in his group. Sooner or later the guy running the group is going to have to do something about him. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GolfnGatorNC said:

Typical entitled attitude ... it has to be "fun" for him, who cares about everybody he's making miserable.

• Like 2

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

1 hour ago, Greenie said:

Yep that guy is everywhere. I have a guy in my group very similar. I'll take it a step farther. On top of what you have mentioned my guy is the poor etiquette guy. This guy talks during your back swing, stands behind you , stands on your line when putting, never fixes ball marks, the list goes on. 

I have been talking directly to him about the issues I and the other guys are experiencing with him and he doesn't get it. He said we are not pros, I am out to have fun and to relax. He doesn't think showing up on the first tee late is a big deal. Right away he begins talking while the other guys are teeing off. One of the guys said last week "and so it begins again" as this guy shows up.

Not many enjoy playing in his group. Sooner or later the guy running the group is going to have to do something about him. 

Yeah the guy running the group pays more for the problem, unless most of the group backs him.  The first rule is don't be that guy.  😛

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GolfnGatorNC said:

Back in the late 80s, my club up in NY played a team game every Saturday and Sunday mornings. Captains picked their teams and 1/2 hour later or so we teed off.

Before I joined, apparently many mornings saw someone showing up late (<1/2 hour before tee time). When that happened, the club had to slot that player and re-pick the teams - and then it became problematic, sometimes chaotic, to rush the 1st team to the tee.

The President finally put a stop to it. "See that clock on the wall guys ? That's now our "official clock". Our tee time is 7:30 AM every Sunday. If you're not IN the clubhouse with your cash in hand, just turn around and go home".

It didn't matter who was late (Captain, low 'capper, whoever) or whether they were just walking up from the parking lot. If they came into the clubhouse after 7:30 they were sent home.

Rumor has it he only had to send one captain home one time and that was the end of it. Most of them worked all week and the Sunday game was all they had and nobody wanted to miss a day of playing.

Later on, as the internet and mobile phones came into play, as well as us having to reserve on Thursday afternoon, the number of spots we wanted on Sunday, things changed a bit. Guys who "registered" with the club on Thursday were going to be there. If they couldn't they'd better call or get suspended (AND pay). 👍

P.S. I am NEVER late for golf. :classic_tongue:

Edited by nsxguy
  • Like 2

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

21 hours ago, GolfnGatorNC said:

The group I have played with off and on for years must be the most laid-back bunch in the world. We always seem to have one or two guys who we know, if they're going to show up, it's not going to be more than 5-10 minutes before our block of tee times start. It's just kind of how some people roll. 

Most days we have somewhere between 8 and 16 players so we just wait until just before heading to the first tee to pick teams. And if one of the late-arrivers shows up after that we rejigger on the fly. Occasionally that will cause some grumbling.

Some of these guys have been playing in this same game for 30+ years and they're now in their 70's and 80's. I guess anyone not comfortable with stuff like late arrivals or teams being made up on the fly has long since found another group to play with. I know there's one smaller group of about 10 guys who kind of broke away a few years ago. They have one guy in charge and you have to call or text him the day before or you can't play. Having to do that would drive me much crazier than my group's usual hubbub on the way to the first tee every morning.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, North Butte said:

They have one guy in charge and you have to call or text him the day before or you can't play. Having to do that would drive me much crazier than my group's usual hubbub on the way to the first tee every morning

If you'd like to ease the guy in charge's burden, as well as making it much easier(?) on the others, you can send them to golfgroupcentral.com, which one of my groups uses.

Very reasonably priced, even for small groups, and, if scheduling is all they need, very easy to use.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X