2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

Missing your tee time...

I just read that Lucas Glover was disqualified at the WM Open after he misread his tee time. 

As a Tour Pro, this was a really expensive mistake as he may have already spent a couple of thousand in entry fees plus potentially a lot more in prize money had he finished high enough. 

For me as an amateur, the impact of such an event is not as high financially but emotionally, the impact is substantial. 

This I know for a fact as I've experienced it first hand last year during one of my golf league's tour stop at Bethpage State Park's Blue course. 

It normally takes me 15 minutes to travel from home to the course via I495 (Long Island Expressway). 

I always try to factor in an additional 1.5 hours to arrive early for my tournaments but as luck would have it that day, 1.5 hours was not enough. 

About 8 minutes into my journey to the course, the flow of traffic just stopped as the freeway was closed down for at least an hour and 15 minutes due to a vehicle fire.

Thankfully, there were no serious injuries or fatalities as I learned later on. 

However, it was an excruciating feeling being stuck and helpless for 1.25 hours that seemed like an eternity as the minutes ticked away as it got closer to my 12:33 pm tee time. 

While the PGA Tour rule is pretty strict - a disqualification was handed to Glover as he was unable to be at the first hole within 5 minutes of his assigned tee time, the rule in my golf league was a little bit more lenient, a 3 stroke penalty for each hole (triple bogey score) missed due to lateness. 

As a walker, I was finally able to catch up to my assigned flight by the third hole (I still had a bit of luck on my side due to the slow pace of play) which meant I was penalized with triple bogeys on the first two holes.

In spite of what I had gone through, I was still able to play good enough to finish 11th in my division. 

It also helped that I had just won the previous tournament the month before so I was not as pissed-off with my situation to affect my performance. 

Thanks in advance for sharing similar experiences.

Lifetime winning percentage (golf league): 17% (5 out of 30 tournaments over 3 years)

Driver: Ping G410, 10.5° w/ stiff 46.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite XL grip; modified CG weight

3 Wood: Callaway,  ST Max Fairway Wood, 15.0°, Stiff, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite 43.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite L grip

Utility Wood: Cleveland, 18.0°, Launcher Halo Hy-Wood 3+; 41.5" shaft length; modified CG weight

4 to 8 Irons: Callaway Rogue X 4 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length; modified CG weight; 9 Iron: Callaway Rogue X 9 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Pitching Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 44°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length
Approach Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 49°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Sand Wedge: Titleist, Vokey SM7, 56°
Lob Wedge: Taylor Made full face - raw finish, 60°; Putter: Tour Edge Wingman, modified pistol grip, armlock modified 41.5" extended shaft, added center weight.

I have played golf for around 30 years. I have been late only once getting to my tee time. It was years ago before all the tech we have today. It was a new course to me and my group so when I called and made the tee time for my foursome I asked for directions. We rode together to the course.. The guy gave us fairly easy directions to follow to get to the course only he failed to mention that a bridge was out. There weren't any detour signs that we saw and we got lost trying to work our way over to the course. We ended up getting there a little late and the check in guy got on us for being late. When I apologized for being late I mentioned the bridge being out and the guy said that the bridge has been out for several months and we should have allowed extra time. I replied if the bridge has been out for months why is the course giving out directions down a road that is closed? He apologized and worked us on the course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Never missed a 'Tournament' Tee time, so it usually isn't a problem. Only times that we might be late is on our buddy trips to Myrtle Beach or Ocean City. We've been caught out by traffic on the way down, or getting to the course while at the hotel. Every single time, we call the Pro Shop and let them know that, Yes, we are on the way, but we are caught in the traffic on 501 in Myrtle Beach (Thank goodness for the bypasses they've put in over the years), or getting over the lower bridge in Ocean City (Never again!). The sheets are usually full, but they always seem to let us squeeze in when we get there by moving up the other groups a bit. Never got an attitude from anybody. Mostly because they are acutely aware of the traffic issues that those roads can bring. A couple of times we had to wait a bit longer since there might be one of those 4-6 groups who are all together. At least once they put us out on the other course instead. 

• Thanks 1

Stuff like this will happen to everyone once in a while during their life.   Yesterday I went to a committee meeting at 8:30 that is actually scheduled for 2/23.  I have a friend who tried to check into a hotel that he never booked.  I have tried to pick up takeout from the wrong restaurant (they have 2 locations).  

Sometimes we have something in our head and it just sticks no matter what.  Or it is just an honest mistake.  Either way, stuff happens.

As for golf I am almost never late but if I try to play during the work week I am usually trunk-to-tee and show up as the 2nd person in my group is hitting their tee ball.  Before anyone piles on this is known and not an issue with my group.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, david.c.w said:

I have a friend who tried to check into a hotel that he never booked. 

I did that once, lol. Thankfully they had a room they could get me into. I intended to book it for Saturday night, but accidentally booked it for either Friday or Sunday night. 

I honestly don't think I've missed a tee time in the 22 or so years I've played golf. I am a habitually early person by nature, and I like to (have to) warm up first, so I always shoot for around an hour early arrival. Thankfully I haven't been caught up in a 1:15 traffic jam like mentioned above. 

In my younger partying days, I overslept a lot for work (my boss didnt mind as long as I put in my time and got the work done), but those days are behind me now thankfully.

I have a buddy that pulls into the parking lot at 11:55 for 12:00 tee times, runs in and pays and heads straight to the first tee. Drives me crazy. In my head, If I'm supposed to be somewhere at 12:00, and I show up at 12:00, I'm late. 

• Like 2

You can bet that whichever sponsor paid for that entry fee was mad.  ...if he mentioned somebody in a tweet or interview, this was likely to smooth it over.

I once ordered a very rare, first pressing of a 1958 Coltrane Record from Luxembourg - it was never opened.  I was SOOOO excited.  I tore apart my house looking for it and even sorted through the trash a few times.  I tried to reconcile how I misplaced it.  It came in the mail about a week later.  We are all dumb.  Most of us have the privledge that nearly nobody else knows about it.

I do appreciate how he owned it and laughed about it - nobody cares if he is mad at himself.

• Thanks 1

On 2/9/2024 at 11:18 AM, david.c.w said:

Stuff like this will happen to everyone once in a while during their life.   Yesterday I went to a committee meeting at 8:30 that is actually scheduled for 2/23.  I have a friend who tried to check into a hotel that he never booked.  I have tried to pick up takeout from the wrong restaurant (they have 2 locations).  

Sometimes we have something in our head and it just sticks no matter what.  Or it is just an honest mistake.  Either way, stuff happens.

As for golf I am almost never late but if I try to play during the work week I am usually trunk-to-tee and show up as the 2nd person in my group is hitting their tee ball.  Before anyone piles on this is known and not an issue with my group.

The Chipotle app has outwitted me twice... once I was so hungry I just bought a burrito and ate at the wrong location.  

I also tried to return something I bought on Amazon to Costco. 

I'm a "if you're not 20 min early, you're late" kind of golfer though.  So,  I've never missed a tee time that I can recall. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He's a human like you or I. He made a mistake 

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood (HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX)

Hybrid: Nike Slingshot 5 (26 Degrees) 

Irons: Ping Zings 2 -5 , Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 6 to 8

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05)  ,  Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  Wilson Sandy Andy (57 degrees)

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

-

Ball:  Pro V1's or Yellow Callaway ERC Soft Triple Track (2023)

-

Other sets include:  1972 Wilson X31's 2 to PW , Hogan Redline's 1988  4 to E (no 7), 1988 Jack Nicklaus Super Eye-O-Matic (EOM) Persimmons

Prior to children, I was always an hour early for any tee time that I had so that I could putt and hit on the range.

2 children later, I leave the house at the latest possible time to allow myself to get to the course 5 minutes early to pay and head straight to the tee.  This is the commonality of my group that I play with now as we all have kids around the same age.  Our wives are cool with our golf habits, but in return, we try to not make it an all day affair and limit the time away from home.

This will go back to normal when all our kids hit school, and we have more time throughout the day during the week when we play as none of us are weekend golfers.

Until thin, we we will all just fly in and make our tee times as tight as possible.  I haven't missed a tee time yet this way, but our group has had it where one guy showed up maybe 2 holes deep into the round due to traffic or some other unforeseen issue.

• Like 2

On 2/9/2024 at 1:21 PM, bigred90gt said:

I have a buddy that pulls into the parking lot at 11:55 for 12:00 tee times, runs in and pays and heads straight to the first tee. Drives me crazy. In my head, If I'm supposed to be somewhere at 12:00, and I show up at 12:00, I'm late. 

LOL...I am sort of that kind of guy you mention. The guy I do most of my stuff with is like you. He says he was raised if I am suppose to be somewhere at 12 and I show up at 12 I am late. I hear him say that quite often to me.

I take a different approach. I show up at a time that allows me to start on time but I don't show up that early that I am waiting around.  I am not the guy that shows up 5 mins before my tee time because that wouldn't allow me enough time to put on my shoes, pay, go to the bathroom and be ready to tee off on time. I am usually 15 mins early for tee times.

The guy I mention above he and I ride together when we are doing things together. He meets me at my house. We allow enough time to go to the places we are going. He has a problem with our meet time. We decide on a meet time to leave. If we are leaving at say 10am I am walking out the door a few minutes before and we are driving away at 10. This drives him crazy. He will usually show up 20 mins early. Sometimes he will call me on the phone and tell me he is outside waiting. I'll reply see you a few minutes before our agreed meet time and mention we will be leaving on time. That's when I hear if you are leaving on time then you are late. I don't see the need to leave early when we have already allowed for time to arrive early to the place we are going.

I joined a group to play with last year. Our first tee time together was 10 am. At 9:15 I get a call from one of the guys and he asks me where I am. I say I am across the street from the course at Dunkin Donuts having breakfast. He asks me what time will I be ready to tee off. I replied I was told 10 so I'll be ready shortly before 10. Our second time together I get phone call 45 mins before our tee time. Same question. I replied I'll be there in time to tee off on time.

I asked if the group had an issue with me because I was getting phone calls. I assured them I was reliable. I was told they like to show up 45 mins early. I told the guys. I'll never be late. I'll never be to early that I am waiting around. I'll always be ready on the tee box for our tee time. A couple of the guys didn't care for what I said. So whatever our time is I show up 45 mins. early and sit around waiting. I don't see the point in it but the other guys are happy with me now.

Edited by Greenie
  • Thanks 1

A lot of stories and misinformation on the Glover incident.  His missed tee time had zero to do with traffic or lack of preparedness.

He and his caddie both thought his time was in the afternoon rather than morning.

OP…you may have meant he had spent he spent a couple thousand in travel fees but he did not pay a couple thousand in entry fees.  That runs them $100 per event last I looked.

• Like 2

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

I had a crazy-cakes near miss playing an event with the local Amateur circuit.

I had 10:30 AM tee time with a course located about 30 miles from my house. I had never been to the course before. It was tight on land space and had no driving range.

So, several of us stopped off at a practice range about three miles away.

The travel instructions said the course was just south of I-64 on Salt Lick Road. But, there was  no exit marked for the road. It turned out you have to take a state highway exit, and then pick up SLR just south of the I-64 overpass. I missed the exit, and drove about four miles out of my way before I stopped and ask the whatever. The gas station attendant explained to me the unmarked exit problem, and told me what exit number to take going back the other way.

Anyway, I got to the course about 10:29 AM, and by the time I got a cart and arrived at the tee box it was 10:35 AM. The starter said he should DQ me, but gave me a 2-stroke penalty instead. Despite the goofy start, I finished fourth in the flight that day. Without the penalty, I would have been second. Penalty cost me about $30 in prize money, plus end-of-season points.

What's In The Bag (As of June 2024, post-MAX change + new putter)

Post-Injury Long Clubs > Cobra AirX Driver 11.5° w/ Ultralite 40 Lite shaft // Big Bertha B21 5W w/RCH 45 Lite shaft

Former Long Clubs -> Driver: Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

4 hours ago, Shilgy said:

A lot of stories and misinformation on the Glover incident.  His missed tee time had zero to do with traffic or lack of preparedness.

He and his caddie both thought his time was in the afternoon rather than morning.

OP…you may have meant he had spent he spent a couple thousand in travel fees but he did not pay a couple thousand in entry fees.  That runs them $100 per event last I looked.

You may be right, I only assumed that there would be substantial entry fees for the tournament but he definitely paid a significant amount for travel expenses. 

On the other hand, your inference about why he missed his tee time due to traffic or lack of preparedness was off base as I specifically stated that he misread his tee time based on the news article I linked in my original post.

I think you may be conflating why I missed my tee time with Glover's...

• Like 1

Lifetime winning percentage (golf league): 17% (5 out of 30 tournaments over 3 years)

Driver: Ping G410, 10.5° w/ stiff 46.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite XL grip; modified CG weight

3 Wood: Callaway,  ST Max Fairway Wood, 15.0°, Stiff, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite 43.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite L grip

Utility Wood: Cleveland, 18.0°, Launcher Halo Hy-Wood 3+; 41.5" shaft length; modified CG weight

4 to 8 Irons: Callaway Rogue X 4 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length; modified CG weight; 9 Iron: Callaway Rogue X 9 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Lob Wedge: Taylor Made full face - raw finish, 60°; Putter: Tour Edge Wingman, modified pistol grip, armlock modified 41.5" extended shaft, added center weight.

11 hours ago, Greenie said:

LOL...I am sort of that kind of guy you mention. The guy I do most of my stuff with is like you. He says he was raised if I am suppose to be somewhere at 12 and I show up at 12 I am late. I hear him say that quite often to me.

I take a different approach. I show up at a time that allows me to start on time but I don't show up that early that I am waiting around.  I am not the guy that shows up 5 mins before my tee time because that wouldn't allow me enough time to put on my shoes, pay, go to the bathroom and be ready to tee off on time. I am usually 15 mins early for tee times.

The guy I mention above he and I ride together when we are doing things together. He meets me at my house. We allow enough time to go to the places we are going. He has a problem with our meet time. We decide on a meet time to leave. If we are leaving at say 10am I am walking out the door a few minutes before and we are driving away at 10. This drives him crazy. He will usually show up 20 mins early. Sometimes he will call me on the phone and tell me he is outside waiting. I'll reply see you a few minutes before our agreed meet time and mention we will be leaving on time. That's when I hear if you are leaving on time then you are late. I don't see the need to leave early when we have already allowed for time to arrive early to the place we are going.

I joined a group to play with last year. Our first tee time together was 10 am. At 9:15 I get a call from one of the guys and he asks me where I am. I say I am across the street from the course at Dunkin Donuts having breakfast. He asks me what time will I be ready to tee off. I replied I was told 10 so I'll be ready shortly before 10. Our second time together I get phone call 45 mins before our tee time. Same question. I replied I'll be there in time to tee off on time.

I asked if the group had an issue with me because I was getting phone calls. I assured them I was reliable. I was told they like to show up 45 mins early. I told the guys. I'll never be late. I'll never be to early that I am waiting around. I'll always be ready on the tee box for our tee time. A couple of the guys didn't care for what I said. So whatever our time is I show up 45 mins. early and sit around waiting. I don't see the point in it but the other guys are happy with me now.

I'm a stickler for being on time but that is just weird. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Shilgy said:

I’m trying to figure out the “emotional impact” in an ordinary fun high handicap event.  

5 hours ago, bcjim said:

I'm a stickler for being on time but that is just weird. 

I am a bit weirder. I am a stickler for being on time too. My being on time means to me I am ready to do whatever I am doing at the stated time I am suppose to be doing it. Being early or being late is not on time to me. I'll never be late but you won't see me waiting around that long either. I hate waiting.

As far as golf goes that would mean to me having done everything needed to be done and be on the tee at the time of my tee time. To me being 45 mins early and waiting around is not on time as is not having everything done when you get to the first tee. 

It drives me crazy with some of the guys in the group I play with. I mention they like to be 45 mins early so I show up 45 mins early and wait around. We get to the first tee and I have to wait while certain guys then decide to look for their glove, dig in their bag for balls, tees, divot tool, start their gps, etc. To me I consider them late because they are not ready to start at their stated tee time. I have had 45 mins to do all that stuff. I am ready to play at my time. They are not.

I know my friends complain about me showing up on time while they show up early. I blow them off by saying start complaining when I start showing up late. Of course that has never happened.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I’m trying to figure out the “emotional impact” in an ordinary fun high handicap event.  

I'm pretty serious with my amateur tournaments as it is part of the points used to determine Player of the Year/OOM. 

On 2/9/2024 at 11:39 AM, tatertot said:

Huh ... A lot of guys at my course think "tee time" is only a suggestion and see nothing wrong with pulling in the parking lot 5 minutes after their allotted time.

I used to be in a 9 hole after work league, fairly casual and we didn't have fixed tee times. Just a block of time between 4 - 4:30 for us to all go out. So of course it's completely dependent on who you're playing that particular week if you think they're going to be early/late or even show up at all! Some guys would try to get there early and sneak out at 3:30, others would show at 5.

The course we played at went private so we had to find a new home. And that meant using....*gasp*...actual tee times! Well some of the guys in the league were outraged and decided to quit. They couldn't fathom having to be at the course at a specific time...

• Like 2

On 2/12/2024 at 2:18 PM, Hawkeye77 said:

Is this some sort of net state am thing? Just curious. 

No, this is not an "elite" level competition...just your local golf league with different divisions based on handicap ranges from 0 to 18+ but includes nationwide ranking.

In addition to the OOM, the top 4 players in each division qualify for  an annual "Ryder Cup" style match play event against the Philly-NJ chapter.

I was fortunate to have played well enough to qualify 3 years ago (personal match record: 2 wins & 1 loss) and I must say that was one of my top 3 best memories in golf ever even though we lost overall. 

Edited by Golfbit2X

I have always made it a point to anticipate the unusual, thus been early for important appt times.  I require the same from everyone in the company.  Punctuality is imperative; over all my years, never been late except once last year, to a tee time.   I was driving 2hrs to a course when a few miles in front of us, a semi-truck hit a car, causing casualties, all but shutting down the freeway. 

Immediately, I called the course and the Pro assured me, not to worry, he would get us out.  We were 25 mins late, and he got us out within +/-12 mins.  I was obliged to the Pro for efforts on our behalf.  Treating people with respect has its rewards. 

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Thanks 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17° 2i Fujikura Pro 95i Tour S
  • T100 (2023) 3i & 4i MMT 95S, T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • SM10 F46.10, MCI Wedge 105 Mild
  • F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or new AVX

I'm never late to anything in life except tee times.

I can never time them right.  I'm either two hours early or rushing to the box.  Granted I'm really not late, just not early enough to properly warm up and get comfortable.  Nothing worse than feeling rushed on the first box. 

It's pretty annoying. 

• Thanks 1

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

I am 100% with @Greenie.  If my tee time is 1:00 and I am ready to hit a ball at 1:00, I am on time.

Are there situations where being early is important?  Absolutely.  Court date, interview, wedding, meeting with VP?  Be there early.  If I roll up trunk to tee for my weekly game and am ready to go before the guys who have been there an hour and are still yapping on the putting green, IDGAF what you think about when I get there.

The closest I have been to missing a tee time is catching some guys at the turn.  They played faster than I thought they would that day and I met them on 11 tee instead of 10.

Edited by david.c.w
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I never miss a tee time, but I also rarely make one. I usually show up before the course opens and pay when I am done.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with KBS TD Cat 4 44.5" 

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Snell Prime 4.0