2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Whats your experience with Titleist 7 woods?

Anton Lennartsson

The TSR and TSi are both great. The TSR is more muted and the TSi a little sharper, tingier, but in a good way. Both are great in terms of shape and performance -- neither spins like crazy or launches to the moon like some 7 woods.

The TS was too high launching for me (but that could have been a shaft issue) and the 917 was very soft feeling and super accurate but exceptionally spinny. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 08.00 – Ventus Red 065x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – Tour AD DI 075x

Titleist TSR2 18.00 – Tour AD DI 085x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – Tour AD DI 095x

Titleist TSR2 24.00 – Tour AD DI 105x

Titleist T100 6i 7i 8i 9i – Tour X100

Titleist SM09 46 50 54 60 – Tour S400

Titleist Pro V1 56 – White Hot OG5 CS

They launch extremely high and are shallow faced which i don't like b/c i try to hit down and 7 woods and take a divot. I much prefer TM, PXG, and Callaway over Titleist 7 woods. 

• AI Smoke 🔷🔷🔷10.5* Denali Black 60 6.5
  • TM M5 Tour 18.25* - Tensei AV White 2.0 TX
  • TM Stealth 7w 21* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8s
  • Srixon ZX Utility 23* MMT 105TX HS
  • Srixon ZX7 5-Aw PX LZ 6.5 SS
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • TM MG4 60* SBC - DG TI S400
  • Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2024
  • Tour B XS

22 minutes ago, uglande said:

The TSR and TSi are both great. The TSR is more muted and the TSi a little sharper, tingier, but in a good way. Both are great in terms of shape and performance -- neither spins like crazy or launches to the moon like some 7 woods.

The TS was too high launching for me (but that could have been a shaft issue) and the 917 was very soft feeling and super accurate but exceptionally spinny. 

Would agree with this assessment, I'm partial to the 917 fairways because i still think they feel and sound better than anything newer, with TSR in a close 2nd.  

I have a TSR 7 wood that I rotate in and out with a T200 3i and TSR1 4 hybrid, its a great club.  The only recommendation i would make is to pay attention to shaft weight/length.  With the shorter shaft i really struggled with the traditional 70 gram weighting I typically play in my fairways.  Moved into an 85 gram and it became much more consistent and easier to hit down on.  

They are excellent. I avoid all tall-faced fairway woods (TaylorMade, for example) as I dislike them off turf. I would not call Titleist woods shallow, not compared to Callaway or Ping. Titleist is very much a mid-height face. My favorite is the TSi2 as I like the target alignment on the face more than lines going all the way across. Go with a low-launch shaft and these are perfect. Nice flight and distance, lands and stops on greens. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Excellent 7 Woods - I agree with @dmeeksDC that its a mid-height face.  Can't go wrong with any of the models, but my preference is the TSi version.

• Like 3

Driver: Callaway Paradym 10.5* with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 Stiff

Fairways:  Callaway Paradym 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Irons:  Cobra Forged TEC 4-PW with KBS Tour Stiff

Wedges:  Callaway Jaws Raw Plasma 50, 54 & 58

Putter:  Scotty Phantom X 5.5

57 minutes ago, Albatross85 said:

They launch extremely high and are shallow faced which i don't like b/c i try to hit down and 7 woods and take a divot. I much prefer TM, PXG, and Callaway over Titleist 7 woods. 

This is false. 

The TSR 7w in my bag has a face that measures 1/16" deeper than my previous TaylorMade M6 7w which had a very generous hitting area. To suggest the TSR is shallow is a misleading statement. It is not. 

TM: 1-1/4"

TSR: 1-5/16"

As @dmeeksDC alluded to, it is Callaway and Ping who make exceptionally shallow faces aimed at higher launch. 

All that said, I switched from my M6 over to the TSR largely because I picked up about 5 yards of carry and saw a higher ball-flight which gave me a lot of confidence going into Par-5s, especially where I had to carry water. It just made sense and felt like a better club altogether although I think virtually all manufacturers make great stuff. 

FWIW, I generally consider my TSR to carry between 220- and 230-yds in good conditions. Previously I felt like I was hitting my M6 about 215-220 in the most perfect conditions. The Titleist just seemed to perform better. 

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 4

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

7 minutes ago, MelloYello said:

This is false. 

The TSR 7w in my bag has a face that measures 1/16" deeper than my previous TaylorMade M6 7w which had a very generous hitting area. To suggest the TSR is shallow is a misleading statement. It is not. 

TM: 1-1/4"

TSR: 1-5/16"

As @dmeeksDC alluded to, it is Callaway and Ping who make exceptionally shallow faces aimed at higher launch. 

All that said, I switched from my M6 over to the TSR largely because I picked up about 5 yards of carry and saw a higher ball-flight which gave me a lot of confidence going into Par-5s, especially where I had to carry water. It just made sense and felt like a better club altogether although I think virtually all manufacturers make great stuff. 

FWIW, I generally consider my TSR to carry between 220- and 230-yds in good conditions. 

LOL. You find one club you claim is more shallow and say my statement about TSR being shallow is false? I never compared it to TM M6 or any other club specifically, i said i prefer the others. And FWIW it is MORE SHALLOW than my Stealth, and my PXG proto 7 woods. 

• Tour B XS

2 minutes ago, Albatross85 said:

LOL. You find one club you claim is more shallow and say my statement about TSR being shallow is false? I never compared it to TM M6 or any other club specifically, i said i prefer the others. And FWIW it is MORE SHALLOW than my Stealth, and my PXG proto 7 woods. 

Settle down @Albatross85

When you make a claim that's not based in fact about measurable quantities you will get pushback on this site. 

@Anton Lennartsson asked about Titleist 7w and you gave him misleading information which appears to be flatly false. 

For the record, TaylorMade 7w options have been very consistent from the M to the SIM and Stealth series. So I don't think your secondary argument that the M6 is unique holds any water. 

Please be more careful about giving out information. 

• Like 1

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Perhaps white score lines and a black-on-black appearance gives a different impression but TM and Titleist 7w options are virtually identical. 

image.png.1a0829f3424a8eb68fee966db0b1a98e.png

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 1

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

It’s funny when you have no idea what you’re talking about…. @MelloYello 

Please be more careful about giving out information. IMG_1186.jpeg.c33e68c30002980e3d21a88ccfa76df3.jpegIMG_1187.jpeg.a935e89eadcb3f493389f6652637ceac.jpeg

Edited by Albatross85
  • Tour B XS

Did a TSR 7w fitting this summer after having much success with the driver & 4W (I just don’t launch 3W’s off the deck very well) Was looking for a 3i replacement for the long par 3’s and approaches into the par 5’s.  Looked to be a perfect fit on paper, but on Trackman my launch and spin were too low and I was getting 240-250yrd missles (not what I was looking for).

Picked up a TS here a few months ago in great shape with an 8x Ventus Blue TR.  Launch, spin, distance and stopping power are right where I want them now per Trackman.  Can’t wait to get this thing outside.  I play indoor winter sim golf and it’s my favorite club to hit right now. 230-240yrd softees- it’s like cheating.

• Like 2

Driver TSR3 9* & 11* Ventus TR Blue 6x (10K - Testing)

Fairway TSr3 4W Ventus TR Red 7x

Fairway  TS 7W Ventus TR Blue 8x

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide Forged Pros 50*,54*,58* DG 120 s300 +1/2”

Putter Armlock💪🏼

Ball Vice Pro Plus

22 minutes ago, Albatross85 said:

It’s funny when you have no idea what you’re talking about…. @MelloYello 

Please be more careful about giving out information. IMG_1186.jpeg.c33e68c30002980e3d21a88ccfa76df3.jpegIMG_1187.jpeg.a935e89eadcb3f493389f6652637ceac.jpeg

Do those photographs support your point? I see ~1-1/4" on both with the Stealth being ~1/16" taller (based on the angle of the photo). Those are virtually identical much like I pointed out with my TSR and my M6.

Why go on the internet and argue one is in the "shallow" class and one is not when they're basically the same? You don't think that's misleading to someone asking for advice?

And why be so hostile to me? Your reaction to my correction was as if I insulted you. What's that about? 

Edited by MelloYello

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

To a great degree it is a matter of opinion of what qualifies as “shallow.” But comparisons can be made. Anyone can put them all side by side and see the Titleist is not jumping out as a shallow faced club. I usually put a ball down and line it up to see what I think. Or put it next to a Ping and it’s obvious. Ping is the king of shallow faced woods.

To me the Titelists are the perfect face height to work well off tee or turf. Being shallower than a TM model does not define the Titleist as shallow. Stealth is tall, too tall for me to look at. I usually don’r care for TaylorMade fairways off the ground. Titleist is very mid-sized height in my opinion. It’s not like there are only two categories. Some clubs are not shallow or deep. 

The OP can make his own judgments. I think @MelloYello was responding to the declaration that Titleist makes shallow faced 7 woods that launch “extremely high.” Compared to everything out there and what I have seen on the course, it’s not how I would describe them. Much more middle of the road.  I find the Titleist Tsi2 equipped with a HZRDUS Black shaft flies lower and carries longer than other 7 woods. It is really good off a wide variety of lies. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

1 minute ago, MelloYello said:

Do those photographs support your point? I see ~1-1/4" on both. Virtually identical.

Why go on the internet and argue one is in the "shallow" class and one is not when they're basically the same? You don't think that's misleading to someone asking for advice?

And why be so hostile to me? Your reaction to my correction was as if I insulted you. What's that about? 

No they are not virtually identical. The TM is almost 1/8" deeper and you attempting to walk back your BS is hilarious. Its also clear from the pics that your statement about M6 and every TM since being the same is patently false. Look at the pics with your eyes. 

Don't come on the forums calling people liars without receipts. You are wrong. Everything you said was wrong. The TSR is shallow. When compared to others and measured its also more shallow since you decided that was how this should be done. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Tour B XS

5 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

To a great degree it is a matter of opinion of what qualifies as “shallow.” But comparisons can be made. Anyone can put them all side by side and see the Titleist is not jumping out as a shallow faced club. I usually put a ball down and line it up to see what I think. Or put it next to a Ping and it’s obvious. Ping is the king of shallow faced woods.

To me the Titelists are the perfect face height to work well off tee or turf. Being shallower than a TM model does not define the Titleist as shallow. Stealth is tall, too tall for me to look at. I usually don’r care for TaylorMade fairways off the ground. Titleist is very mid-sized height in my opinion. It’s not like there are only two categories. Some clubs are not shallow or deep. 

The OP can make his own judgments. I think @MelloYello was responding to the declaration that Titleist makes shallow faced 7 woods that launch “extremely high.” Compared to everything out there and what I have seen on the course, it’s not how I would describe them. Much more middle of the road.  I find the Titleist Tsi2 equipped with a HZRDUS Black shaft flies lower and carries longer than other 7 woods. It is really good off a wide variety of lies. 

Yeah, totally. My experience matches yours @dmeeksDC . Ping defines what is shallow and to some extent Callaway seems to be following that more recently. 

Titleist is very on-par with the others (including TaylorMade) and one should expect slight differences on the order of 1/16" which do not (in my mind) justify calling one shallow or deep. 

I'll say one thing about Titleist, you don't want to beat down on it too hard because you'll get mud in the TSR weight-port. I much prefer the way TaylorMade keeps their non-adjustable fairways flat and clean.

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 1

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

2 minutes ago, Albatross85 said:

No they are not virtually identical. The TM is almost 1/8" deeper and you attempting to walk back your BS is hilarious. Its also clear from the pics that your statement about M6 and every TM since being the same is patently false. Look at the pics with your eyes. 

Don't come on the forums calling people liars without receipts. You are wrong. Everything you said was wrong. The TSR is shallow. When compared to others and measured its also more shallow since you decided that was how this should be done. 

Glad you could straighten me out. 

Thanks brother!

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I have a TSi2 7W with a ADDI 8 that I love. Agree with the poster above stating that the shaft weight is important as I originally had the ADDI 7 in it but when I went to the 8 and added a +2 gram weight in the head, it was much more consistent.  

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 10° | Ventus Blue VeloCore+

Titleist TSi2 16.5° | AD DI 7 

Titleist TSi2 21° | AD DI 8 

Srixon ZX5 4-GW | Modus3 105

Taylormade MG4 | 54SB  58SBC

Swag Golf DGAP Handsome One | LAGolf P-Series 135

ProV1X

Just got a TSR2 7w and going to put a Ventus Blue 7X and see how it goes. I had a Ventus Red with a 7X last year and it was great just flew too high for me. Might have to go 8X potentially down the road but being 78g I am going to try the 7X as I already have one to throw in it. Going TSR 4 9* with Ventus Red6X, TSR2+ with Ventus red 7X and TSR 2 7w this season then to my 4 iron thats a bit hot. So gapping should be good. 

• Like 1

WITB - 4/2/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

4W: TSR3 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

7W: TSR2 21* - Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX-4 4-5 $-Taper 130X - SSX1

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H - DG X100TI
TaylorMade TP Collection Juno
Testing: Odyssey AI One Rossie S

3 hours ago, jonkevin said:

I have a TSi2 7W with a ADDI 8 that I love. Agree with the poster above stating that the shaft weight is important as I originally had the ADDI 7 in it but when I went to the 8 and added a +2 gram weight in the head, it was much more consistent.  

Nice combo! It just exactly this combo im interested in, have IZ right now in 3/4 wood, i can get a TSI2 with AD DI in mint condition for like same money or even less than if i should by a new TSR2 with stock shaft! Sounds like TSI2 is also a great head 🙂 

I have the TS and TSI models. I have a Tensei Raw Blue in the TS, with Accra FX 3.0 in the TSI.

They both are very good with the TSI having a better sound and feel. I didn't find a big enough difference in the TSR model (other than looks). Both get the ball into the air very well and work well with low to mid launch shafts. That glossy crown gets scuffed real good when a ball hits it though.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke 9* Project X Denali Black 60
Titleist TSi2 18* 5W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4

Titleist TSi2 21* 7W Accra FX 3.0 200F M4
Titleist TSi2 26* 6H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

Titleist TSi2 29* 7H Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80

PING i210 7-UW PING zz-65

PING s159 S 54* PING zz-115

PING s159 E 58* PING zz-115
L.A.B. Golf DF3

14 hours ago, Anton Lennartsson said:

Whats your toughts about TS/TSI/TSR 7 woods? Only hit the TSR. 

TSI2 7 is as good as it gets, unless you need a flatter lie angle than Titleist offers.    It is as consistent a performer as anything I have ever owned, same as all of the other Titleist FW's

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 - Hzrdus T1100 Hulk

Sub 70 949 Pro Hybrid 19 and 22* - Recoil Dart 95x

Srixon ZX7 - MMT's 105TX SSx1

Sub 70 JB Forged 48*, 52*, 56*, 60*- MMT Scoring

PXG Gen2 Mini Gunboat

For those who have bought off the rack or standard order, does anyone know if Titleist is still tipping the 7 woods 1.5 inches?

Back with the 915s and the Diamana shafts, Titleist was tipping 0.5 - 1.0 - 1.5 inches on 3 - 5 - 7 wood (vs. the Mitsubishi recommended amount of 0.5 - 0.75 - 1.0 inches).

Still waiting for the "2" 9 wood...

I recently ditched my 20* super hybrid and put 7 wood in the bag. My driver SS is right around 105 barely handling tr black 5x. I put OG blue 8x on them and TS2 worked out perfect. Has nice and flight trajectory, good carry and right amount of run compare to hybrid. I cannot compare them with TSI or TSR since I haven’t tried them but TS2 worked out perfect for me. Only reason I went with TS2 was it was experiment I tried and wanted to keep it cheap. Probably upgrade head with newer model down the road. 

• Like 1

Love my TSi2 with Tensei Blue 65.  Might be my fav club in the bag and can play a number of different shots and distances with it.

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

I play the TS2 7 Wood, and it's my favorite club in the bag. I can flight it down or launch it extremely high by simply adjusting my ball position. Great club off the tee (never tee'd up) and my go-to into long Par 5s. For me it always wants to draw which I like since I play a fade with driver, but I can setup more open and hit a high cut when needed. 

I don't think I'll ever replace this club, I play it with the Tensei Black 85x, and I usually get 240-250 out of it. 

Edited by TNin22

17 hours ago, Titleist_PT23 said:

For those who have bought off the rack or standard order, does anyone know if Titleist is still tipping the 7 woods 1.5 inches?

Back with the 915s and the Diamana shafts, Titleist was tipping 0.5 - 1.0 - 1.5 inches on 3 - 5 - 7 wood (vs. the Mitsubishi recommended amount of 0.5 - 0.75 - 1.0 inches).

Still waiting for the "2" 9 wood...

Good question, I just assumed that the 7 wood was tipped 1 inch per the MCA website, at least for Tensei AV blue.  Maybe something was different back with those 915 models?

Titleist TSR2 10*| MCA Tensei AV blue (SFW) Xlink 55 S

Titleist TSR2 3 HL 16.5*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 65 S

Titleist TSR2 7 Wood 21*| MCA Tensei AV blue Xlink 75 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 4 iron| N.S. Pro 980GH DST S

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-GW| N.S. Pro 1050GH S

Titleist BV SM9 54*S, 60*S| TT DG S200
Ping 2023 Anser
Srixon Z Star