2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Jon Rahm - How to make $600m + Why Youtube golf is better than PGA or LIV = Not boring.

Jeselnik

16 minutes ago, EagleGSU said:

Agreed. Was a great video. And shows just how good Rahm plays in a "casual" setting.  Guy's unbelievable. More entertaining than watching a random round of the PGA tour. tbh

Oh for sure - I've been a fan of his, but never have I liked Rahm more than after finishing this series 

Bryan bros and Grant are just great entertainment as well. Grant is an absolute stick as well, I'm sure he'd be even better if he wasn't focused on producing so much content and just practicing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

I have a more boring "middle of the road" take on the whole concept as a general fan of the genre with some caveats. 

Jon Rahm starting to embrace this medium more is great, anything we can learn from elite players in a more casual setting is good, no question. Love seeing all these guys out there. 

The YouTube golf space in general, while IMO a net positive for the game in terms of exposure and accessibility....is hit and miss IMO. I have a tough time with the Bryan Bros/Horvat/Good Good sort of content because it's just......manic over-caffeinated energy that always seems desperate to fill even a moment of silence with some sort of banter....and a lot of them aren't great at it. And this isn't some "old man/get off my lawn" take, because the opposite extreme is something like Rick Shiels' full round videos where the silence can just become deafening. There is a comfy middle ground that IMO guys like Bob Does Sports hit very well. Fat Perez being an absolute stick at both golf and improv comedy is gold, but watching Grant Horvat's 67 teeth as he says "Ohhhh my gosh, that could actually go in....that's craaaaaazy" or some variation for the 989th time makes me....

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

if we all liked the same thing there would be zero choice in anything in life, the fact is, in my part of the world the younger golfers are not sitting down watching 6 hours of golf on TV. it could be because of the time zone differences; it might be that they would rather be out playing, or it could be that channels on YouTube, like good good appeal to them more.

PGAT is only on pay per view TV here, with the cost-of-living crisis in NZ the younger generation are not subscribing. With the ever-growing golf content on YouTube(including LIV) a lot of people that I know are seeking alternatives.

Just now, kiwigolf72 said:

if we all liked the same thing there would be zero choice in anything in life, the fact is, in my part of the world the younger golfers are not sitting down watching 6 hours of golf on TV. it could be because of the time zone differences; it might be that they would rather be out playing, or it could be that channels on YouTube, like good good appeal to them more.

PGAT is only on pay per view TV here, with the cost-of-living crisis in NZ the younger generation are not subscribing. With the ever-growing golf content on YouTube(including LIV) a lot of people that I know are seeking alternatives.

No argument against that at all, this *is* the future of golf in many ways for the younger generation....I just think a lot of them could do with some improv training because their games are often far better than their banter chops. 

• Haha 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

1 hour ago, Valtiel said:

I have a more boring "middle of the road" take on the whole concept as a general fan of the genre with some caveats. 

Jon Rahm starting to embrace this medium more is great, anything we can learn from elite players in a more casual setting is good, no question. Love seeing all these guys out there. 

The YouTube golf space in general, while IMO a net positive for the game in terms of exposure and accessibility....is hit and miss IMO. I have a tough time with the Bryan Bros/Horvat/Good Good sort of content because it's just......manic over-caffeinated energy that always seems desperate to fill even a moment of silence with some sort of banter....and a lot of them aren't great at it. And this isn't some "old man/get off my lawn" take, because the opposite extreme is something like Rick Shiels' full round videos where the silence can just become deafening. There is a comfy middle ground that IMO guys like Bob Does Sports hit very well. Fat Perez being an absolute stick at both golf and improv comedy is gold, but watching Grant Horvat's 67 teeth as he says "Ohhhh my gosh, that could actually go in....that's craaaaaazy" or some variation for the 989th time makes me....

Using that rationale everything is hit and miss no.. Thats like saying TV shows are hit and miss just because you like historical drama, and Joe likes watching Gordon Ramsey berate people. 

Youtube golf is great - these kids/guys/girls are out churning quality product for a wide range of tastes, and releasing multiple videos a week. Some of these videos have better camera work, cuts and editing than PGA coverage imo. The collabs with the tour guys have all been phenomenal as well - Jason days, Rory, Rahm, all the barstool collabs as well, no idea how people can find negatives when there's so many creators and video types to choose from in the space now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's not unreasonable. I like Bob Does Sports the most of all of them. They're fun and funny and there's never a bad time for a cold cuts tantrum. FP's acerbic wit alongside that just works too. Good Good is what kind of pulled me in to youtube golf, but when Micah and Grant left, it got too much for me. I watch their stuff when they have tour players on. Min Woo Lee is my new favorite golfer when Tiger's not playing (which is basically all the time these days) and a chunk of that is watching him on YT. 

I do really like George and Wesley though. The standard of golf on their channel is way above the rest of them and I enjoy the level of golf and the banter from Wesley. Watching him take it from Jon Rahm in this latest one was priceless. "Does this feel like the Ryder Cup?" "No...in the Ryder Cup I had help". Mic drop.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

26 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

LOL. 

Enjoy whatever you want to enjoy but it’s not other worldly or all that groundbreaking. 

Who didn’t already know Rahm was a decent guy?

Do we need yet another thread trying to tout LIV to start an endless argument?  NO. 

Despite your indifference, it's obviously catapulted the golf space on a ton of fronts, especially when it comes to all the collaboration lately. One would think breaking ground in an entirely new space with its millions of impressions would be called.. groundbreaking 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

That's not unreasonable. I like Bob Does Sports the most of all of them. They're fun and funny and there's never a bad time for a cold cuts tantrum. FP's acerbic wit alongside that just works too. Good Good is what kind of pulled me in to youtube golf, but when Micah and Grant left, it got too much for me. I watch their stuff when they have tour players on. Min Woo Lee is my new favorite golfer when Tiger's not playing (which is basically all the time these days) and a chunk of that is watching him on YT. 

I do really like George and Wesley though. The standard of golf on their channel is way above the rest of them and I enjoy the level of golf and the banter from Wesley. Watching him take it from Jon Rahm in this latest one was priceless. "Does this feel like the Ryder Cup?" "No...in the Ryder Cup I had help". Mic drop.

Yeah I did like the needles from Jon there a lot, hah. And agreed that the Bryan Bros probably have some of the highest level play, I guess I just really have a hard time with people who's version of being "on" for the camera is just being loud/repetitive/hyperbolic just non-stop. It becomes caricature how easily you can make a drinking game out of their canned repetitive phrases. It starts distracting from the golf for me, because take the golf out and it's just really bland lifestyle vlogging. 

It's the acerbic wit (great word), fun meltdowns, and memorable one-liners that do it for me. And yeah Min Woo Lee is definitely a good watch!

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 3

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

6 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Plenty of top pros have played with You Tubers over the years so not groundbreaking. Gets more views now depending on the channel and the pro.  

I loved watching Faldo and Shiels, for example, but didn’t wet my pants over it.  

Everyones entitled to feel however they want for sure. Im just saying the viewership numbers and global traction support the contrary. All good

Yeah I did like the needles from Jon there a lot, hah. And agreed that the Bryan Bros probably have some of the highest level play, I guess I just really have a hard time with people who's version of being "on" for the camera is just being loud/repetitive/hyperbolic just non-stop. It becomes caricature how easily you can make a drinking game out of their canned repetitive phrases. It starts distracting from the golf for me, because take the golf out and it's just really bland lifestyle vlogging. 

It's the acerbic wit (great word), fun meltdowns, and memorable one-liners that do it for me. And yeah Min Woo Lee is definitely a good watch!

Definitely hear you and it's obvious that some of them are putting it on for the camera, but I think George is being George. It doesn't seem forced. I think he's just genuinely a happy guy. 

My favorite line in BDS is when Joey hits it way right and is trying to hack his ball out from under a bush. He says something like "they put all these bunkers and trees and bushes out here and it just makes it so hard". Then you hear FP in the background say "they put a big *** fairway over there too". Had me in stitches for quite some time.

• Haha 3

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

1. The original comments were because for no reason at all this was placed in Instruction & Academy with the clown title it has. Clearly someone trying to stir the pot. 

2. All these top view videos of specific players being featured are only so big because... the players made a splash on the DP World/PGA/LPGA/LET Tours first. YouTube/Social Media golf is not remotely in a place to produce & grow talent in the game the same way established pipelines are, so I'm not sure what is up with all the hot takes claiming normal golf is dead and just needs to get with the times.

Right now YouTube golf highlights personalities over talent on the whole. Once it gets to be the other way around perhaps it will be a threat to traditional golf in and of itself, but I still doubt that. Traditional golf has been working to better embrace online golfers, including hosting a recent event and doing so again later this year. 

Maybe this is always how it goes, that people lose their minds and forget nuance when something new emerges, I dunno. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Gotta say I'm shock by the very negative reactions.

I think anyone who would be casually interested in golf enough to watch something like LIV would much better and much quicker gravitate towards something like this on Youtube instead.

I don't know that it'll pay you a lump sum of $600M but you know I'm sure every 10,000 views is a penny for Rahm...

1 hour ago, PedronNiall said:

1. The original comments were because for no reason at all this was placed in Instruction & Academy with the clown title it has. Clearly someone trying to stir the pot. 

2. All these top view videos of specific players being featured are only so big because... the players made a splash on the DP World/PGA/LPGA/LET Tours first. YouTube/Social Media golf is not remotely in a place to produce & grow talent in the game the same way established pipelines are, so I'm not sure what is up with all the hot takes claiming normal golf is dead and just needs to get with the times.

Right now YouTube golf highlights personalities over talent on the whole. Once it gets to be the other way around perhaps it will be a threat to traditional golf in and of itself, but I still doubt that. Traditional golf has been working to better embrace online golfers, including hosting a recent event and doing so again later this year. 

Maybe this is always how it goes, that people lose their minds and forget nuance when something new emerges, I dunno. 

Respectfully, who's making any of these arguments above that you're responding to? 

Social media golf isn't meant to produce and pipeline pro talent, it's there for content. You have 900K+ people within day and a half tuning into Rahm playing with 3 youtubers in a black tee chirping each other.. and it was great. 

It's a threat in how approachable and accessible it is for a wide range of people, viewers and creators - people tune in at their leisure, identify with whatever creator and content style they prefer and go from there. Videos are only going to get better and better, and one can now carve out a life for themselves grinding golf content whereas they may not be able to through traditional golf pipelines - physical limitations, fiscal limitations for traditional path, etc.

It's in it's infancy for sure, but no doubt it will it will influence the way things are broadcasted in the future. Pop down on the couch and tune in to an ultra high res round on some of the nicest courses in the world. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1