2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Jon Rahm - How to make $600m + Why Youtube golf is better than PGA or LIV = Not boring.

Jeselnik

7 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

LOL. 

Enjoy whatever you want to enjoy but it’s not other worldly or all that groundbreaking. 

Who didn’t already know Rahm was a decent guy?

Do we need yet another thread trying to tout LIV to start an endless argument?  NO. 

Never met Rahm or got this look into his personality from a tournament broadcast. I would argue that the next generation of golfers will be ones that were introduced to the game in large part by youtube golf so I think that's breaking ground no? For all LIV player's talk about wanting to grow the game, youtube golf is doing just that. Like with anything else, you don't like it don't watch. 

5 hours ago, TiScape said:

What strikes me as funny. “they are brainwashed into this modern “us vs them” mindset”. And the title of this thread is literally “Why YouTube golf (us) is better than PGA or LIV (them)”.

😂

Lol so true. While I enjoy YouTube golf a lot I'm not willing to say it's better than anything. Just another golf enjoyment option in my mind. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, staylor1634 said:

Lol so true. While I enjoy YouTube golf a lot I'm not willing to say it's better than anything. Just another golf enjoyment option in my mind. 

Agree entirely. It's not better or worse IMO - it's just different. Nowhere on TV can you watch two hackers playing a scramble against a good player and have fairly even matches. 

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

One billion hours of Youtube videos are viewed each day. The fact that golfing has found some success seems reasonable. Not revolutionary, but more evolutionary. I watched Rick Shiels play some pro once. It was okay. Have not watched any of this type since. I do find it a stretch to believe Youtube is the future of bringing young people into golf. There has to be some interest in golf before someone seeks out a Youtube golf video.

The recent YT videos from Grant and Bryan Brothers have been very good and entertaining.  It's WAYYYYYYYYY better than anything from LIV.  But at the end of the day PGAT rules above and beyond for golf content.  There is no glory outside of the PGAT.  A YT video episode win or a LIV win for me is meaningless.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 7 wood Rogue 130MSI 80

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 4-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

11 hours ago, JohnnyHangs said:

Respectfully, who's making any of these arguments above that you're responding to? 

Can you literally not read? The title of the thread along with the posts in this thread I'm responding to are exactly the ones making the arguments that brought my replies. Not trying to be mean, but succinct, because it's not at all hard to see what I was responding to. Look at the title. 

I'm not going to quote one by one every post I was addressing. People asked why there were negative responses. Again, since you missed it: this was originally put in the Instruction section, as though it was something teachable, two, the title is pure snark, and three, there are multiple people going on as though YouTube golf is the end all, be all and the tours should just pack it up. I don't know why I have to explain it a second time when I directly addressed it in the first post but since you asked, there it is. 

Both the old and the new have their strengths, and YouTube golf's strength is 100% not a sustained audience from video to video, nor is it creating content that most will want to rewatch in its entirety  over the years, nor is it generating talent that can play at the highest level, nor is it attracting the kind of revenue that can make the best golfers the earnings that allow them to play competitive golf alone to earn a living. 

If traditional golf died tomorrow it would kill the catalyst that even allows videos like the one up top to do numbers in the first place. If YouTube golf died tomorrow the tours would roll on just fine and have plenty of time to pivot in remaining relevant. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, PedronNiall said:

Can you literally not read? The title of the thread along with the posts in this thread I'm responding to are exactly the ones making the arguments that brought my replies. Not trying to be mean, but succinct, because it's not at all hard to see what I was responding to. Look at the title. 

I'm not going to quote one by one every post I was addressing. People asked why there were negative responses. Again, since you missed it: this was originally put in the Instruction section, as though it was something teachable, two, the title is pure snark, and three, there are multiple people going on as though YouTube golf is the end all, be all and the tours should just pack it up. I don't know why I have to explain it a second time when I directly addressed it in the first post but since you asked, there it is. 

Both the old and the new have their strengths, and YouTube golf's strength is 100% not a sustained audience from video to video, nor is it creating content that most will want to rewatch in its entirety  over the years, nor is it generating talent that can play at the highest level, nor is it attracting the kind of revenue that can make the best golfers the earnings that allow them to play competitive golf alone to earn a living. 

If traditional golf died tomorrow it would kill the catalyst that even allows videos like the one up top to do numbers in the first place. If YouTube golf died tomorrow the tours would roll on just fine and have plenty of time to pivot in remaining relevant. 

People revert to being rude either when their ignorant, or defensive. Go take a cold shower guy

That being said, in your second point you're yapping about talent generation, pipelines, etc - Not a single person in the thread made that argument, nor insinuated they will be funneling better talent than the PGA. I re-read the chain as well just to entertain your points, or maybe I just cant read?

The title - It's generic, and I took it as it's better from an entertainment perspective for the OP, which the argument can be made. It's all relative, and YT viewership and subcription numbers are impressive regardless of opinion.  It's a different product at its infancy - Kick, Twitch - all of these platforms have proven a sticky content creator model. It's just different.

On 2/21/2024 at 9:40 AM, Glock917 said:

Dont get the people that replies with such a quick rash response to not watch it even without give it a shot. Sounds like those PGA loyalist that are in the 50-80 age bracket unwilling to adapt and get off my lawn types. 🤷‍♂️

Being in the 50-80 age bracket, I probably would disparage this video.

But I can't get my internet machine to play the You-tubes today. 

• Haha 2

On 2/21/2024 at 10:28 AM, kenoli22 said:

Unwatchable meaningless golf.

Which is what 99.9% of us play every day.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

3 minutes ago, Dicka said:

No interest, but if you're into non-competitive, meaningless, "fun" hit and giggle golf, knock yourself out.

Way to be passive aggressive ... especially since you play "meaningless" golf every time you hit the course.

34 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Whats funny about mocking previous generations is that an 80 year old prolly raged in the 60s, partied to real bands in the 70s, and made a $hit ton of cash and partied even more in the 80s

These days partying apparently means ordering Uber eats and watching YouTube 

Not that there’s anything wrong with that 🤣

My 95-year-old father cut the cord and started streaming about 5 years ago.

I'm still on the fence : )

31 minutes ago, Dutch1008 said:

What's your point? Did @Dicka ask you to watch him play? Did he send you videos of him hacking it around a course? 

Golf is a game that is meant to be played. It was invented to be played, not watched. Sport as a spectacle was secondary to sport as an activity. 

I like the PGAT and find most tournaments have some entertaining elements. I'll watch DPWT events and Champions Tour events. Even LPGA, LIV and NCAA events on occasion. I also like some youtube golf. Specifically, I enjoy the travelogue stuff (adventures in golf, tourist sauce, strapped). I like a lot of the instructional stuff although that can sometimes do more harm they good.

All the other stuff is hit or miss for me. I've enjoyed some Good Good, BDS, Barstool stuff, but most of it is pretty repetitive now. Can amateur x beat amateur y? Can multiple amateurs playing a scramble beat a pro? It's all been done and repeated and ultimately comes down to whether or not you like the personalities playing. Some I like, some I find funny, some are boring, some are annoying. To each his own. At the end of the day, unless it's Sunday at a major, I will always prefer playing "meaningless" golf by myself or with my friends than watch others do it.  

I think the majority of us would rather play than watch ... but we don't need to deride people who enjoy watching YouTube golf. The only thing that gives anything value is if people determine it's worthy ... I don't watch YouTube golf, but some people enjoy it, therefore it has meaning to them. Just because you don't enjoy something doesn't make it worthless.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tatertot said:

I think the majority of us would rather play than watch ... but we don't need to deride people who enjoy watching YouTube golf. The only thing that gives anything value is if people determine it's worthy ... I don't watch YouTube golf, but some people enjoy it, therefore it has meaning to them. Just because you don't enjoy something doesn't make it worthless.

Agree but take a look at the title to the thread. He's practically saying, "Youtube golf rulez, boomer golf droolz!". Any surprise that people would get defensive about something they've been passionately following for decades? I doubt people would have been fired up had the title simply been, "Cool video w/ Rahm and the Bryan Bros". You can't come in throwing punches and be offended when someone fights back.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dutch1008 said:

Agree but take a look at the title to the thread. He's practically saying, "Youtube golf rulez, boomer golf droolz!". Any surprise that people would get defensive about something they've been passionately following for decades? I doubt people would have been fired up had the title simply been, "Cool video w/ Rahm and the Bryan Bros". You can't come in throwing punches and be offended when someone fights back.    

Fair. All good points.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2024 at 3:06 PM, Valtiel said:

I have a more boring "middle of the road" take on the whole concept as a general fan of the genre with some caveats. 

Jon Rahm starting to embrace this medium more is great, anything we can learn from elite players in a more casual setting is good, no question. Love seeing all these guys out there. 

The YouTube golf space in general, while IMO a net positive for the game in terms of exposure and accessibility....is hit and miss IMO. I have a tough time with the Bryan Bros/Horvat/Good Good sort of content because it's just......manic over-caffeinated energy that always seems desperate to fill even a moment of silence with some sort of banter....and a lot of them aren't great at it. And this isn't some "old man/get off my lawn" take, because the opposite extreme is something like Rick Shiels' full round videos where the silence can just become deafening. There is a comfy middle ground that IMO guys like Bob Does Sports hit very well. Fat Perez being an absolute stick at both golf and improv comedy is gold, but watching Grant Horvat's 67 teeth as he says "Ohhhh my gosh, that could actually go in....that's craaaaaazy" or some variation for the 989th time makes me....

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Excellent summation!

I would just add that Bryson used to be one that I did not like and Youtube has dramatically changed that.

TXG (Club Champion) is fantastic most of the time, as is a few other equipment reviewers

Youtube is a net positive for golf, you just have to find the ones you like.

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 - Hzrdus T1100 Hulk

Sub 70 949 Pro Hybrid 19 and 22* - Recoil Dart 95x

Srixon ZX7 - MMT's 105TX SSx1

Sub 70 JB Forged 48*, 52*, 56*, 60*- MMT Scoring

PXG Gen2 Mini Gunboat

Most interesting to me is that people are interested in sports stars

speaking 🤣

I can’t recall one word that any of the dozens of legendary athletes I’ve watched over the decades actually said 

I mean, this is what it’s all about 

lawrence taylor giants GIF

What possible interest do I have in what an athlete says 

Its almost an oxymoron to me 🤣

But, I guess I understand how people could be interested, athletes now try to build their “brand” and it’s fun for some to see. 

• Like 1