2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Arnold Palmer Invitational 2024

MattyO1984

We really need a 4 day event without weather delays this week... also need an exciting weekend with the big guns turning up... as a die hard PGA Tour fan its all been a bit... meh. Its been nice to see some new names winning and while there has been some exciting finishes, I think its time that we had a Scheffler/ Rory / JT kind of back 9 shoot out. Just my opinion and I know many won't agree.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

**WITB**

Titleist TSR2 10*, D1, 44.5'' - Ventus Red 6x

Titleist TS2 15*, D1, 42'' - Kai'li Blue Prototype 80TX

Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 18*, A1, 40.25'' - Atmos TS Blue 8X

Titleist T150 4i - AMT Tour White X100 Black Onyx

Titleist 620CB 5-PW - DGX100 120

Titleist SM9 Raw - 52F, 56F, 60D - AMT Tour White S300

Toulon San Diego (2022), 32'', Golf Pride Pro Only Cord Green Star

TP5x

1 hour ago, jaffabell said:

We really need a 4 day event without weather delays this week... also need an exciting weekend with the big guns turning up... as a die hard PGA Tour fan its all been a bit... meh. Its been nice to see some new names winning and while there has been some exciting finishes, I think its time that we had a Scheffler/ Rory / JT kind of back 9 shoot out. Just my opinion and I know many won't agree.

I'm a PGAT fan as well but I'm enjoying the wins by the upcoming players. The tour needs more middle of the pack players to step up. Lately, if the big names start winning on the PGAT they somehow get a big offer to leave. We may be safe if JT or Scheffler win, so I'll root for one of them.🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jaffabell said:

Agreed! I’d like to see some top players go at it. This tournament always delivers. I will say I prefer Copperhead as a course but still love this event.

1 hour ago, SnowbirdTom said:

I think it’d be awesome to see Knapp/Ekroat/Pavon or some of this year’s other winners in the final pairing on Sunday.  Might get the old goats of PGA to wake up and play better.

ETA- there’s a severe lack of killer instinct in the old guard presently.

It's like they don't care anymore playing in these no cut big $ events 😶

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MattyO1984 said:

Mention the words Bay Hill to any golf fan and I would bet that the first thing which comes to mind would be the man behind the course as opposed to the course or tournament itself. It is hard to believe that some 7 and a half years have passed since the passing of The King but easy to think what he would make of the sad state professional golf finds itself in circa 2024. Whilst he is no longer with us, Mr Palmer's presence and influence will still form the major part of this week and serve as a reminder of where we have been and the force for good that professional golf can be. It seems certain that we will never see his like again but a stellar field has formed this week keen to claim the spoils and a place on the history boards at Arnie's place. Last year, a relatively unknown Kurt Kitayama claimed the win by holding of Rory McIlroy and Harris English. All three of those guy return in what was a restricted field even before Signature Events became something we talked about. Given it's status the field is a whose who of the PGA Tour and after a relatively quiet start to the year, many will be hoping for one of those big names to power through to sprinkle some much needed stardust on the PGA Tour. 

Defending Champion:-

Kurt Kitayama

Notables in the Field:-

Scottie Scheffler

Rory McIlroy

Viktor Hovald

Xander Schauffele

Patrick Cantlay

Wyndham Clark

Max Homa

Matt Fitzpatrick

Brian Harman

Ludvig Aberg

Hideki Matsuyama

Justin Thomas

Jordan Spieth

Will Zalatoris

Cameron Young

Collin Morikawa

Course:-

Arnold Palmer's Bay Hill Club & Lodge

Par 72

7,466 yards

Kurt Kitayama breaks through in wild finish at Bay Hill | CTV News

arnold-palmer-bay-hill_t780.jpg?w=780&h=390&crop=1

The Arnold Palmer Invitational without Arnold Palmer likely to evoke  'strong emotions' | Golf News and Tour Information | Golf Digest

Notables in the Field:-  ???

40 out of the top 50, 8 of the top ten, and 4 of the top 5,  ALL 69 in the field are NOTABLE!!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, TwistedSister said:

Notables in the Field:-  ???

40 out of the top 50, 8 of the top ten, and 4 of the top 5,  ALL 69 in the field are NOTABLE!!

Not MattyO, I repeat Not MattyO ......but it's a trend lately to trash the PGAT fields whether they deserve it or not. It's becoming a talking point.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jaffabell said:

Old old hotness:  this leaderboard sucks, bunch of nobodies

New old hotness:  it's all about the pipeline Yo!

New new hotness:  ahhh, finally the big guns will duel.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, dmbolp said:

Driving down from ATL on THUR, father-in-law lives in Bay Lakes next door, hop a fence and I'm in! 🙂

Repeat of my 2001 story:

March 17, 2001 - St Patrick's Day and Saturday at Bay Hill.  Buddy (RIP :classic_sad:) always threw a big keg party on Saturday at his house on 16.  Drank beer all day long.  Tiger wasn't in the lead, a couple groups behind him.  His drive on 16 goes into fairway bunker.  He goes for it in 2 but puts it in the pond.  Last few groups play thru 16.  Kids come out of the mansions around 16 with complex home-made ball retrievers...suction cups, raking devices, etc.  No one can find Tiger's ball.

As I mentioned, we'd been drinking all day.  Marshals are pointing to an area near the edge of the pond where the ball went in.  I wonder how dense the bottom of the pond is, put one foot in and immediately sink in muck to my waist.  Oh well, I'm in now, might as well feel around.  Nice thing is, balls are basically at waist level due to the muck.  7th ball I pull out is Tiger's.  Another ball looks to be Phil's marking (tiny dots around the number of a Pro V1).  I get out of the pond with one less shoe.  Get my picture taken by multiple photographers, handing each of them my business card, asking them to please send me a photo and an invoice for their service.  Never received a photo.

Followed Tiger the next day; he goes on to win.  I walked with a folding step ladder; you can see me throughout the Sunday broadcast in a blue Nike turtleneck; tallest in the crowd.  Step ladders are banned from PGA tournaments shortly thereafter 🙂

1NtT6EL.jpg

Thats awesome!

I have a 5 gallon bucket full of balls found after the tournament but I have no idea whos markings are whos. They are just all mixed in with the other shag balls. Obviously, nothing ever said 'Tiger' 'Phil' or 'Rors' on them.

AITD MAX  10.5° + UB6 / AIMAX 16.5° + 21° + 24° + UB6+7+8 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / JWS RW + MODUS120 / '14 NWPT 2 + GPS

45 minutes ago, dmbolp said:

Driving down from ATL on THUR, father-in-law lives in Bay Lakes next door, hop a fence and I'm in! 🙂

Repeat of my 2001 story:

March 17, 2001 - St Patrick's Day and Saturday at Bay Hill.  Buddy (RIP :classic_sad:) always threw a big keg party on Saturday at his house on 16.  Drank beer all day long.  Tiger wasn't in the lead, a couple groups behind him.  His drive on 16 goes into fairway bunker.  He goes for it in 2 but puts it in the pond.  Last few groups play thru 16.  Kids come out of the mansions around 16 with complex home-made ball retrievers...suction cups, raking devices, etc.  No one can find Tiger's ball.

As I mentioned, we'd been drinking all day.  Marshals are pointing to an area near the edge of the pond where the ball went in.  I wonder how dense the bottom of the pond is, put one foot in and immediately sink in muck to my waist.  Oh well, I'm in now, might as well feel around.  Nice thing is, balls are basically at waist level due to the muck.  7th ball I pull out is Tiger's.  Another ball looks to be Phil's marking (tiny dots around the number of a Pro V1).  I get out of the pond with one less shoe.  Get my picture taken by multiple photographers, handing each of them my business card, asking them to please send me a photo and an invoice for their service.  Never received a photo.

Followed Tiger the next day; he goes on to win.  I walked with a folding step ladder; you can see me throughout the Sunday broadcast in a blue Nike turtleneck; tallest in the crowd.  Step ladders are banned from PGA tournaments shortly thereafter 🙂

1NtT6EL.jpg

Look me up!!  I am a marshal on hole 14.  Look for the API straw hat. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jaffabell said:

The LPGA had a year last year, that is like this year's PGAT.  The top 4-6 names on the tour fell pretty flat, and they had a ton of first time winners.  While it was fun seeing lots of young gals get their first win, it made for pretty uninspiring final days.  A few of those first time winners were just the blandest of bland, so the most exciting memories of big tournaments was someone going driver off the deck 3-back trying to pull off a miracle.

This year has reverted back to some of the big names at the top.  And so far, many of those first time winners from last year have been MIA from the top of the leaderboard.  

• Like 1

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

4 hours ago, idrive said:

While I don't disagree with you, I really like seeing some of the young guns coming in and making a name for themselves.

There's a lot of talent out there I for one have enjoyed seeing them start to surface. 

Regardless, I'll be watching a good amount of this Tournament.

I'll be watching for Rory and Ludvig.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Definitely a favourite event with lots of notable players. Always enjoyable.

I like Jason Day for a win.

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max 10.5° @ 9.5° Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 65 X
Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 3w 15° Mitsubishi Kai'li White 70 X

Srixon ZX Mk II Utility 3 20° @ 19° Nippon N.S. PRO Modus3 Tour 120 S

Srixon ZX Mk II Utility 4 23° @ 22° Nippon N.S. PRO Modus3 Tour 120 S

Srixon ZX7 Mk II 5 - P Nippon N.S. PRO Modus3 Tour 120 S
Vokey SM9 Tour Chrome 50.08F, 54.10S & 58.08M
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1