The most under-rated brands/equipment on the market?

RoyalMustang

I'll start with my personal experiences for under-rated gear. 

Irons: Wilson. I'm currently trying out a set of the Wilson CB X100 combo irons, and they are superb. I'd put them up against any other iron I've played. It's crazy that you can get a very clean set of these for $400-500. I'm not keeping them as I've got no $, but if funds ever allow, whatever Wilson CB is on the market will be at the top of my list! 

Driver: not sure of this one. I got my TSi3 w/shaft for $250 new a couple of years back, which tells me that it is not a highly rated driver. I haven't found anything better though. Titleist is not exactly "underrated" but I do think their drivers are not as hyped as some other brands. 

Wedges: I dunno. Lots of small brands out there. 

Putter: give me a old Ping Anser for $50 and I'll put just as well as with a new $450 Scotty Cameron Newport 2. I bet you can get a new Anser/Scotty knockoff from Kirkland that performs just as well. 

Balls: the ones that I find in the woods while playing. I gave up paying for golf balls a long time ago!  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, j4663535 said:

Tour Edge Exotics, especially fairway woods

This, but I would add the whole Hot Launch series, as they trickle down the previous year's tech and they're some inexpensive GOOD clubs.  Especially since the have the C line for people that don't need "anti-slice huge offset" on their clubs.  

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 10.5* HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 3HL Paradym X HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 7w Paradym HZRDUS Silver 5.5

Tour Edge C522 4 and 6 hybrids Fubuki HL 55R

Callaway 6-52* irons Paradym HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway Jaws Raw 58* Catalyst Wedge

Odyssey 11 Triple Track SuperStroke Traxion 2.0 

Fourteen wedges

• Like 4

Rotate the following:

Titliest TSR2 10* (@C1) Ventus TR Black 6X 

Titliest TSR2 16.5* (@A1) Fuji Speeder 8.3TS X

Titliest TSR2 21* (@A1) Fuji Atmos Blue 8X

Titliest 818H2 21* (@B3) Fuji Atmos Black 9X

Srixon ZXU 18*, ZX5 3-4, ZX7 5-PW

C-taper 125 S+ PVD Black, BBFCO "Black Ice Ice Ferrule", Pure DTX Purple Std +4 wraps

Cleveland RTX6 Raw 50*Mid Ctaper 130X, 54* Full S400 Onyx, 58* Low S400 Onyx

Mizzy MCraft VI 36.5" SS Pistol 1.0

Titliest PV1

Cobra woods and irons 

New Level Irons, utility, and hybrid 

LAB golf putters (I don't think people realize how much of an advantage they give many players over a normal putter)

TSi3 10 @ 10.75 Ventus Black 6x 45"

TS2 15* Hzrdus smoke black 70g 6.5 43"

TS3 18* Hzrdus smoke black RDX  80g 6.5 41.5"

New Level NLU-01 22* and 25* Hzrdus smoke black rdx 100g 6.5
New Level 902-OS 6-P (KBS tour 130x) -1* weak on each

Vokey sm8 50@49/12 KBS $ taper HT 130, Sm9 54@53/10S,

58/4T KBS $ taper HT 125 or 58/8m DGx100 mid TI
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 35"/ 69* Press II

Is this a value post or underrated brand post?

There was nothing underrated about the TSi3 when launched, it was part of the recent paradigm shift of Titleist regaining market relevance in the driver space.  I would also say that Ping Anser putters are not underrated at all in any year's iteration.  I will agree that in the used space both can be purchased at a great value price and still provide relevant performance.

I very much agree with Wilson being underrated in the iron space.  Specifically in forged CB/MB.  It's a small market and they have all but been eliminated in the big box stores, making it harder to get them into players bags.  Absolutely fantastic forged irons however.  Wilson is trying to improve their woods product line, but even with recent positive reviews, I feel they still have a way to go to even be considered (or perceived as) average, and quite a bit to go to be considered underrated.

Srixon is still criminally underrated in regards to irons.  Their ZX line is competitive/excellent in game improvement, players distance, and players CB categories.  Their woods are at least average (maybe quietly underrated), but when a sizable portion of their limited stable of staffers bag other woods it's certainly not a good look.  Frankly I feel trying to have Tour level products split between Cleveland and Srixon is equally hurting both brands. 

Mizuno's woods line has improved exponentially over the past few release cycles, and is certainly underrated.

As far as the "big" OEMs, Cobra is still underrated.  They have put out upper echelon woods offerings for the last 6 years, and have sneaky good irons.

Hard to put Taylor Made in the underrated category, but their recent lines of game improvement irons have been very, very good.  I feel they get overlooked by many as the perceived "yearly offering that's branded to match their woods".  I think if they slowed their release cycle up to every 2 years and gave them a product line name separate from the woods line they would shoot up the list of must try game improvement irons.  Much like they did with the P series player's line.  

• Like 3

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

Sub 70 - Will do more in depth reviews as more clubs come in and I can spend more time with them

PXG - I know this is a big brand that everyone knows but I don't think many people realize how good their putters are. For those that have a bad stroke and need to hit the ball harder to stay online, these are not for you.  There is no super soft insert like an Odyssey and so many others.

Titleist TSR3 - Hzrdus T1100 Hulk

Sub 70 949 Pro Hybrid 19 and 22* - Recoil Dart 95x

Srixon ZX7 - MMT's 105TX SSx1

Sub 70 JB Forged 48*, 52*, 56*, 60*- MMT Scoring

PXG Gen2 Mini Gunboat

1 hour ago, Hougz79 said:

Is this a value post or underrated brand post?

There was nothing underrated about the TSi3 when launched, it was part of the recent paradigm shift of Titleist regaining market relevance in the driver space.  I would also say that Ping Anser putters are not underrated at all in any year's iteration.  I will agree that in the used space both can be purchased at a great value price and still provide relevant performance.

I very much agree with Wilson being underrated in the iron space.  Specifically in forged CB/MB.  It's a small market and they have all but been eliminated in the big box stores, making it harder to get them into players bags.  Absolutely fantastic forged irons however.  Wilson is trying to improve their woods product line, but even with recent positive reviews, I feel they still have a way to go to even be considered (or perceived as) average, and quite a bit to go to be considered underrated.

Srixon is still criminally underrated in regards to irons.  Their ZX line is competitive/excellent in game improvement, players distance, and players CB categories.  Their woods are at least average (maybe quietly underrated), but when a sizable portion of their limited stable of staffers bag other woods it's certainly not a good look.  Frankly I feel trying to have Tour level products split between Cleveland and Srixon is equally hurting both brands. 

Mizuno's woods line has improved exponentially over the past few release cycles, and is certainly underrated.

As far as the "big" OEMs, Cobra is still underrated.  They have put out upper echelon woods offerings for the last 6 years, and have sneaky good irons.

Hard to put Taylor Made in the underrated category, but their recent lines of game improvement irons have been very, very good.  I feel they get overlooked by many as the perceived "yearly offering that's branded to match their woods".  I think if they slowed their release cycle up to every 2 years and gave them a product line name separate from the woods line they would shoot up the list of must try game improvement irons.  Much like they did with the P series player's line.  

yeah-maybe the TSi3 wasn't underrated but it certainly doesn't have the marketing buzz of the Stealth LVI or whatever version TM is putting out now. Same with Callaway's Paradym or AI Smoke, which is why I was able to pick up one so cheaply here. 

I've had a few people comment on my old 80's Anser (that putter looks dated!). It still seems to work OK. I tried my brother's old Zing 2 and it had too much toe hang; 80 degrees is a lot. 

When my TSi3 breaks, I'll probably look at another Titleist replacement (maybe I can pick up a TSr3 cheap here) or the Mizuno offerings. 

Cobra probably also doesn't have much marketing buzz. 

I've yet to even see another set of Wilson irons in the wild, but everyone who plays them here loves them. I've been extremely happy with the set I'm trying out. The previous owner had them set up at D2/X100 shafts, 1" short, and it's exactly my spec. 

Wilson... That's mainly because they cannot push their excellent products for toffee. 

• Like 1

Driver - PXG Gen4 0811 X 12° - Aldila NV Green 75S 44.5"

Fairway - PXG Gen4 0341 XF 17.5° - Aldila NV Green 75S 43"

Hybrid - PXG Gen4 0317 XF 20.5 - Aldila NV Green 85S

Irons - Ping I210 4-U 🔵 - DG 120 S300

Wedge - Ping Glide 4.0 S-12 56° 🔵 - DG S300 

Chipper - Wilson Harmoznized

Putter - Cleveland Frontline Elevado SA

Ball - Vice Pro Neon Lime

Honestly, it's probably just Ebay these days. 

The fact that golf equipment has hit such a wall in terms of overall quality means that there is a ton of great stuff available from the last 5-6 years that's all outstanding. 

Most every brand is uniformly great these days and many have been doing best-ever models in their irons or drivers for several years so despite the popularity of buying new equipment in fittings & at demo days, the truth is that it's probably never been more beneficial to hop on Ebay.

I feel like I haven't been on Ebay in forever but honestly, it's probably stocked with better stuff now than ever before. 

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 3

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Overall for all products Cobra. 

Woods only, Srixon.

Irons only, Wilson.

Tbh all golf equipment over 2 years old is 'under-rated'. Golf equip loses value and hype so fast that old stuff can be had for 60% less on clearance not even used.

• Like 3

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

39 minutes ago, MelloYello said:

The fact that golf equipment has hit such a wall in terms of overall quality means that there is a ton of great stuff available from the last 5-6 years that's all outstanding. 

Most every brand is uniformly great these days and many have been doing best-ever models in their irons or drivers for several years so despite the popularity of buying new equipment in fittings & at demo days, the truth is that it's probably never been more beneficial to hop on Ebay.

I feel like I haven't been on Ebay in forever but honestly, it's probably stocked with better stuff now than ever before. 

You really can get almost anything on eBay these days. I agree: people cycling through to get the new next best thing is great for the rest of us! 

43 minutes ago, MelloYello said:

It was great when ebay had no sales tax, way lower transaction fees, and now this bs the IRS is trying to pull with PayPal reporting over $600 in sales.

The BST here is way better since you'll get great deals where people are trying to move things quickly and don't need jack up price to account for ebay's 13% fee.

But to answer op's question, Wilson irons, Srixon woods and Cobra's entire lineup imo.

Edited by Yoshifan151
  • Like 2

Srixon ZX5 10.5° - Diamana TB 6TX

Ping G410 17.5° - Atmos TS Red 7S

Ping G430 21° - AD IZ 8X

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW - PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno T22 50S, 54D - S400 TI

Vokey SM9 60T - S300

Gamer Putters Son of a GOAT - 326g, 34"

Bridgestone Tour B X

2 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Overall for all products Cobra. 

Woods only, Srixon.

Irons only, Wilson.

Tbh all golf equipment over 2 years old is 'under-rated'. Golf equip loses value and hype so fast that old stuff can be had for 60% less on clearance not even used.

Yeah there is really no point in buying brand new stuff. I usually go to a few demo days at my club and work with a fitter and see what new stuff I like and what works for me. 

Then I'll wait a few months and buy the same clubs they were selling (barely used) for much less.

Tour Edge and Sub 70. I’ve had great results with there equipment.

• Like 1

Driver- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

4H- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699U 21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges - Sub 70 286 50+54 degree

Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach #11

Cobra far and away most underrated 

• Like 2

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

Irons and wedges - Wilson Staff, best wedge shape in golf.

Fairway Woods - TEE

Drivers - Out on the Muni, it's Titleist.  If it aint TM or Callaway, its not popular.

Titleist Tsr2 9*

TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5*

PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 16*

PXG 0317X Gen 4 20.5*

Ping i210 5-P (26*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*

Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

Srixon for sure. Their irons are amazing!

WITB - 4/2/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

4W: TSR3 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

7W: TSR2 21* - Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX-4 4-5 $-Taper 130X - SSX1

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H - DG X100TI
TaylorMade TP Collection Juno
Testing: Odyssey AI One Rossie S