2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Pet Peeves With OEMs

JD3

15 hours ago, Binson said:

As huge a Ping fan, there is a lot that I love about what they do.  But, I have a few gripes.

1) I have a similar but different complaint about Ping and the i2xx series - especially now that Blueprint S is out.  They made the mid-long irons smaller in the i230.  But, that's where the help was so good on the i210 IMO.  The i210 was an iron basically anyone could play.  You could play it as an 18 hcp or a tour pro. To take that design and cater it more towards the Tour pro is frustrating - especially when they're already adding a whole new product for the Tour pro/low handicap. 

2) There is no way to get one of their driver heads down to 6 degrees.  As someone who hits up on driver, my choice is to go with Taylormade because they have an 8 degree head that I can turn down to 6 degrees.  Even if it's less "forgiving", my dynamic loft is in such a better place that my poorly struck shots go as far as my best struck shots with a Ping LST turned down to 7.5.  This is a miss in the department of fitting options.

3) Their Eye wedges have gotten smaller and smaller.  I don't think it makes sense for the Eye wedge to conform in size with the conventional line.  While it's possible someone would want to have an Eye Sole Grind wedge that otherwise looks like a conventional wedge (like Glide and Glide 2.0), you'll almost never see someone who is interested in a conventional wedge who would want the full high-toe profile of the Eye 2.  The Eye 2 wedge is a different demographic from the rest of the wedges and should be treated as such.  If you're going to give the Eye 2 wedge its high toe shape, please make it a bigger wedge so it fits with that target demographic. 

4) The Moonlite bag lost its way when it was "upgraded" with a 4-way divider and the strap no longer reliably stood up on its own.  It now has an opening too large for a partial set not to clank around in, and is basically a lesser, cheaper Hoofer Lite that loses to the Hoofer lite in almost every way except for price. 

I would love for Ping to better define the Ideal Customer Profile for each of their products. 

Understood on the wedge thing.  I thought the Glide 3.0 wedges with the Eye2 grind were perfect.  The Glide 4.0 are a bit smaller. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rosco1216 said:

This can easily be measured and translated to any OEM head to play exactly the same. Just FYI. But I have a feeling the placebo it gives you is what you find irreplaceable. 

Dropping another $600+ to try a new driver is the what is not easily replaceable.  Thanks for letting me know that since I did this once that I can do it again.  Happy to give it a shot if somebody wants to try the placebo effect in their wallet by taking 6 or 7 hundos and sending them to me, then seeing if they notice.

Only providing raw wedges through custom orders if at all. Should be a standard finish align with chrome and possibly black. Make s*** like blue and copper finishes the custom programme ones. 

Offset in irons. It’s annoying that you can’t make combo sets if you like minimal offset in more than just short and mid irons. 

Driving irons with lumpy soles. I hate when there is junk sticking out of the trunk. Thicker top line is fine to hold in some speedy tech, but if I wanted a hybrid I would buy a hybrid. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade SIM Max - 6M3 X

Titleist 906F4 - Whiteboard 83 X

TaylorMade TP UDI 2 - Modus 120 X

Mizuno MP-37 3-9 - S300

TaylorMade MG raw 50-12, 58-08, 60-07 - S300 (50), X7 (58, 60)

Scotty Cameron Newport AoP PP

Left handed anything in other than the game improvement category. I will say its changed as of the last few years and there's options there but big companies still have very limited left handed options. I just wana spend money ok lol!

After that the "tech" irons that just consistently cause 20-30 yard fliers. I'm a better iron striker than i am a driver of the ball but also don't have any distance problems whatsoever, so anything in the players section of clubs that have tech in them just makes the game harder it seems. And again this is limited selection due to left handed on some brands.

Lastly not sure if this is a pet peeve or just my curiosity, is I legit want to pull the trigger on a few different DTC club setups but just haven't hit the purchase button. Thankfully DTC seems to care about lefty options lol!

Pet Peeve - im a left hander lol

4 minutes ago, HeftyLefty5 said:

Left handed anything in other than the game improvement category. I will say its changed as of the last few years and there's options there but big companies still have very limited left handed options. I just wana spend money ok lol!

This! as a fellow lefty (there's quite a few up here in Canada) options are limited but as you said it is getting better... Unless you want a 3D 7 Callaway 7 wood.... 

I ended up with PXG 0317 CB irons which are great and available in lefty. Il have to give it to PXG at least they make everything in both hands. I do hate their marketing and if they just toned it down and stopped shouting their products would probably do better.

11 minutes ago, HeftyLefty5 said:

Pet Peeve - im a left hander lol

Try finding good LH women's stuff.  Used market has nothing for somebody just getting into the game.  Have a kid who plays and we got lucky that she could swing Mens S stuff or else we were looking at brands that I have never heard of and nearly all of it was pink, purple or tiffany blue.

I feel for all left handers and even super tall people who cannot play cast clubs because they will break if they try and bend them upright too much.

Why can't bag manufacture's build a cart bag (not a Staff bag monster) with a simple five- or six-way dividers?  Its just a personal thing maybe but I HATE fourteen-way dividers. 

Callaway 10.5* Paradym X

TaylorMade 16.5 Stealth HL

Callaway Epic Flash Heavenwood

Ping G425's 5 iron thru UW
Vokey SM8 54*/10* S Grind
Vokey SM8 58*/12* K Grind
T.P Mills Custom PN MIng
Odyssey 38" Tank #7 (a work in Progress)

9 minutes ago, Rob_shields said:

This! as a fellow lefty (there's quite a few up here in Canada) options are limited but as you said it is getting better... Unless you want a 3D 7 Callaway 7 wood.... 

I ended up with PXG 0317 CB irons which are great and available in lefty. Il have to give it to PXG at least they make everything in both hands. I do hate their marketing and if they just toned it down and stopped shouting their products would probably do better.

PXG has been the main stay when i got back into golf due to prices and availability across the board, and they will be my first suggestion to any sort of left handed needs. Very happy with their products and the 317 CB's have been one of those clubs I'm a mouse click away from buying! What's your thoughts?!

4 minutes ago, jda said:

Try finding good LH women's stuff.  Used market has nothing for somebody just getting into the game.  Have a kid who plays and we got lucky that she could swing Mens S stuff or else we were looking at brands that I have never heard of and nearly all of it was pink, purple or tiffany blue.

I feel for all left handers and even super tall people who cannot play cast clubs because they will break if they try and bend them upright too much.

I'm very very happy my fiancé is not left handed, because id be going through that as well. I remember as a kid I got lucky and bought a set of used Adams from the local golf store and that was about my only option back when.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, g_nw said:

I would like ping to get back to being the gold standard carry bag. The L8 and Hoofer should be no- compromise best in class bags, like they used to be. Minimal branding options / blank options more readily available… this was their bread and butter for so long. While we are at it, let’s get back to releasing most d-1 college bags for the People.

Agree those classic Ping Hoofers were awesome ...light, rugged, comfortable and easy to carry, and stand. The gold standard that I used for many years. 

Edited by JD3
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TM Stealth Plus 10.5 Ventus TR Velocore Red 5

Ping G425 Max 5 FW 17.5 Ventus Velocore Red 7

Srixon ZX MKII 3UT Axiom 105

PXG GEN4 T 4 - PW DG120 X100

Yururi Tataki 52.5, 56.5 and 60.5 DG S200
Ping Anser 2
MCC +4 Grips
Kirkland Performance+ Ball

3 hours ago, hook_or_slice said:

My biggest pet peeve is constantly decreasing iron and wood lofts.

My biggest pet peeve is constantly INCREASING iron and wood PRICES.....

• Like 3

WITB
Ping G430 Max 10K Tour 2.0 Chrome S 65

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Blue limited  75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

59 minutes ago, JD3 said:

Agree those classic Ping Hoofers were awesome ...light, rugged, comfortable and easy to carry, and stand. The gold standard that I used for many years. 

[The following comment is going to make me feel older than I’ve ever felt]

Simpler times I guess! I love my Vessel stand bag but I’d choose an old school unbranded Hoofer in new condition 100/100 times. In junior and hs golf, for me, every player (or team in hs) had a hoofer. Every tournament had L8s ready to roll as prizes. It was honestly a great run for them — their 97-05 product would still kill today. Maybe I’m generalizing or misunderstanding the situation, but the quality seems to be missing today (and the materials/designs are like a seasonal windbreaker — as opposed to robust and timeless).

• Like 2

TSR3 8 15 (18), Ventus TR Black 6x 7x (8x)

ZX MkII 20*, Ventus Black HB 9TX

20 P7MC 4-p, Axiom 125x

SM10 raw 50 54 60, TI S400 onyx

AOP Oil Can Newport 33 350, (Coggin Gauge R carbon 33 350, LA 135g)

10 hours ago, wedgegame said:

Oh and the constant need to label tungsten or any "tech" really.

This!!  I know my stealth is made out of carbon, and I know which way to slide the weight to promote a fade/draw.  I don't need those stamped on the club.

And it's not just "tech."  My hoofer lite has a little velcro patch labeled "glove."  What else am I going to put there?  The pencil slot, rain hood, water bottle pocket...all labeled.  I'm surprised the shoulder straps don't have "shoulder strap' stenciled in somewhere.  

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Golf Pig said:

It drives me nuts that the OEMs change the shape and design of the weights for drivers/fairways/hybrids with every new model. Plus they're expensive to buy! PXG gets a big thumbs up here for sticking with the same basic weight in all their woods and putters.

Beyond annoying to me.  I add weight to all drivers and fairway woods, so I skip generations because of this.  It is expensive to buy weights and experiment with them.

11 minutes ago, jacob7071 said:

This!!  I know my stealth is made out of carbon, and I know which way to slide the weight to promote a fade/draw.  I don't need those stamped on the club.

And it's not just "tech."  My hoofer lite has a little velcro patch labeled "glove."  What else am I going to put there?  The pencil slot, rain hood, water bottle pocket...all labeled.  I'm surprised the shoulder straps don't have "shoulder strap' stenciled in somewhere.  

😭💀

TSR3 8 15 (18), Ventus TR Black 6x 7x (8x)

ZX MkII 20*, Ventus Black HB 9TX

20 P7MC 4-p, Axiom 125x

SM10 raw 50 54 60, TI S400 onyx

AOP Oil Can Newport 33 350, (Coggin Gauge R carbon 33 350, LA 135g)

3 hours ago, mjf34g said:

Why can't bag manufacture's build a cart bag (not a Staff bag monster) with a simple five- or six-way dividers?  Its just a personal thing maybe but I HATE fourteen-way dividers. 

Most usually have at least one. The C130 is pretty much the standard of the Sun Mountain cart bags, and it has a 5 way; as does the "Boom" bag if you for some reason wanted a musical golf bag. 😄 

The C130 bag is a really nice bag. 😄 

Cart Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange) Carry Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5 LS (Red & Port)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Probably Should at Least Reshaft them)

The Mallet: PXG BR-1 Raptor Putter

2 hours ago, GHIN n Juice said:

There’s more than one way to accomplish the meager feat of making an adjustable attachment that doesn’t rotate the shaft.  A patent is limited to Callaway’s specific design not the concept as a whole.  

I’m not privy to the specific utilities of the patent, but there must be a reason no other OEM does it in the US. Honma has a similar adapter that allows adjustability with the grip and shaft graphics staying in the same position, but maybe since they are a Japanese company they can get away with it.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Putters having every alignment aid and line combo but none. Why do I have to get a custom putter for them to not put a line on it? Didn't realize how nice this was till I tried a couple of colleagues older Scotty's that didn't have any lines on them. 

• Like 1

Dr: Mizuno ST-G 440, Kai'Li White 70TX
3w: TSR2 15*, HZRDUS Black 6.5 70g
3i: Mizuno Fli Hi, HZRDUS Black 6.5 80g
4i: New Level NLU-01 24*, HZRDUS Black 6.5 100g
5i-7i: Takomo 301CB, TI X100 Black Onyx
8i-PW: Takomo 301MB, TI X100 Black Onyx
51*: Mizuno T22 Raw, TI X100 Black Onyx

55*: Mizuno T22 Raw, TI S400 Black Onyx

60*: Taylormade HI-Toe 3 Tour Grind, TI S400 Black Onyx
P: Meridian Charleston Mid Slant Custom