2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Your golf quirks/preferences

I'm all about broken tees, i don't play a 460 cc driver. Thr price of tees annoys me. Im not wasting 9 new ones every round. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Irons: Ping Zings 2 -5 , Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 6 to 8

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  ,  Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  Wilson Sandy Andy (57 degrees)

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

-

Ball:  high number Pro V1's

-

Other sets include:  1972 Wilson X31's 2 to PW , Hogan Redline's 1988  4 to E (no 7), 1988 Jack Nicklaus Super Eye-O-Matic (EOM) Persimmons

I suppose the main one is having a sleeve of balls in the lower right cargo pocket. Most of the other ones I have are preferences but not necessities. 

3¼ tees with the markings for depth 

Dime or penny preferred ball marker

Phone in right pants pocket

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

22 hours ago, Roejye said:

I suppose the main one is having a sleeve of balls in the lower right cargo pocket. Most of the other ones I have are preferences but not necessities. 

Cargo pocket of shorts?  Pants?  Bag?  Pull cart?  Cart?  Car?  Delivery truck?  Just 3 balls or 3 balls IN THE SLEEVE?!?!?!?

I must know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I play the Srixon Divide ball and I love it!

• Like 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - GW….+3.5”

Cleveland Smart Sole GW, SW

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

• Plastic tees only (I didn't realize how many people hate them!)
  • White balls only--no colorful ones for me.
  • Headcovers come off and stay off the whole round.
  • Only take my glove off at the turn.  I leave it on, even for putting.
  • Always use golfer's tape on my non-gloved thumb.
  • Big believer in sunscreen. I never play without it.  As an aside, my wife works in the wedding industry and does a lot of golf course weddings--I can't tell you how many times the groom plays the morning of his wedding and is then sunburned in all the photos. Happens all the time, LOL.
  • For casual rounds, I believe in a 30-45 sec limit for wayward ball searching.
  • I always carry a dozen balls in my bag.  I may lose 2-3 during a round but I once lost 7 balls on a single water hole and I embarrassingly ran out of balls.  For that reason, I now always have plenty of extras.
  • I don't mind music on the golf course (as long as it's not blaring) but I'll never be the one to bring it--just not my style.

On 6/8/2024 at 3:02 AM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

This is a fascinating thread. I was interested to see so many presumably right-handed golfers keeping the ball in the right pocket. It makes sense, but I've always done the opposite and kept my game ball in my left pocket (with my tees), and back-ups in the right pocket (with my ball marker and divot repairer).

I always use the right pocket as a right handed golfer (I do everything else besides golf left handed)

Main reason is what my left and right hands are doing.  Immediately after I pull my ball, the left hand is used to hold the putter up like a Babe Ruth calling his shot to let your buddies know it's going into the hole.  Right hand is to give it a fist  pump and possibly give the "shhh" sign to your friends.  Then use the right hand to pick the ball out of the hole, and naturally into the right pocket.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, david.c.w said:

Cargo pocket of shorts?  Pants?  Bag?  Pull cart?  Cart?  Car?  Delivery truck?  Just 3 balls or 3 balls IN THE SLEEVE?!?!?!?

I must know.

Usually cargo shorts. When I started out it's 50/50 if they're in the sleeve or not. I have to get them used to being unsure of their condition cause once I put it in play there's no clue as to exactly where they're going. 

When I originally started I tried having a cargo plane air drop them to me but there were a lot of issues with that.

Edited by Roejye

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

60°- Lazrus

The only one I have I suppose is really not wanting the golf cart or someone standing in front of me in my vision when hitting, I want all that to my backside. I've gotten better about it but I used to request it for folks that did it over and over. 

After I stopped playing regularly I have developed a regripping tick that I am trying to get rid of, very old Sergio-esque unfortunately. 

Drivers: Taylormade BRNR Mini 11.5 and 13.5 (2023) stock shafts (S)

5, 7 Woods: Cobra LTDx stock HZRDUS Smoke i10 (R)

Irons: Cobra Forged Tec OL (2022) 5-G stock KBS steel (R)

Wedges: Cobra Snakebite OL 54 and 60 stock KBS steel (R)

Putter: Taylormade Nubbins B1s (extended 39") SS Flatso 3.0

Balls: Snell Prime (2023)

I rarely hit balls before playing.  I do a session of dynamic stretches and hit some putts.    

I never play with anyone that has a first name for a last name. 

I never play #2 balls. 

Never like to finish #2, why start that way.

I rarely clean golf balls. 

Unless forced to ride, I walk - carry or push.  Sun Mountain, of course. 

I always ask the same question before my first tee shot.  "You guys ready to play to some golf?"

I never stop on the turn.  

I believe speed of play to be one of the most important aspects of weekend golf.  

Putt them out.  Everything. 

When playing away, I always use the name Billy Rubin to reserve tee times.  Billy likes yellow balls.

I mark with a 100 won coin.  No idea how I came to have it.   

Edited by Ferguson

4 hours ago, Roejye said:

Usually cargo shorts. When I started out it's 50/50 if they're in the sleeve or not. I have to get them used to being unsure of their condition cause once I put it in play there's no clue as to exactly where they're going. 

When I originally started I tried having a cargo plane air drop them to me but there were a lot of issues with that.

I have to ask, if you have a lower right cargo pocket, what goes in the upper right cargo pocket?    

On 6/9/2024 at 9:57 AM, Roejye said:

left cargo pocket is for pizza rolls

• Haha 3

The more I think about it I used to have an agonizingly slow practice swing routine.  Like so slow people would start walking forward after I swung, then having to retreat just to then have to watch me do it all over again for real.

Looking back I cringe and can't imagine how many eye rolls I got over the years.

Confirming my need for a clean and tidy scorecard.  Had someone add to it this weekend and I got irritated.  Funny thing is that I have horrible general handwriting 

Lots of psychos in this thread - I love it.

Right pocket - two long (2.75" tees - preferably Stinger brand as they tend to never break), divot tool with magnetic ball marker, and a few broken or short tees that I scour to find on the first couple of holes for irons off of tee boxes.
Left pocket - golf ball goes here after I hole out and am riding to the next hole.
Glove comes off between shots and goes in the back left pocket.
Headcovers stay on woods and putter.
Triple track ball marker used on balls to make it easy to line up for putting.
Range session before round is 56*, 8 iron, 5 iron, driver. No more than 15-20 balls total. I'm not here to work on mechanics or swing thoughts - I'm here to loosen up.
Putting green practice is for speed only. I'm not lining things up or putting a lot of thought into it. I'm just here to get the speed.
Golf playlist on the bluetooth speaker that consists of 300 songs added by me and my friends. I hope you're ready for Jamiroquai, Celine Dion, Chuck Berry, Alanis Morisette, Green Day, Alan Jackson, Riff Raff, J Cole, and Queen. No butt rock and no Morgen Wallen.

7 hours ago, notgreatnotterrible said:
  • Plastic tees only (I didn't realize how many people hate them!)
  • White balls only--no colorful ones for me.
  • Headcovers come off and stay off the whole round.
  • Only take my glove off at the turn.  I leave it on, even for putting.
  • Always use golfer's tape on my non-gloved thumb.
  • Big believer in sunscreen. I never play without it.  As an aside, my wife works in the wedding industry and does a lot of golf course weddings--I can't tell you how many times the groom plays the morning of his wedding and is then sunburned in all the photos. Happens all the time, LOL.
  • For casual rounds, I believe in a 30-45 sec limit for wayward ball searching.
  • I always carry a dozen balls in my bag.  I may lose 2-3 during a round but I once lost 7 balls on a single water hole and I embarrassingly ran out of balls.  For that reason, I now always have plenty of extras.
  • I don't mind music on the golf course (as long as it's not blaring) but I'll never be the one to bring it--just not my style.

Love the 30-45 second ball search limit for casual rounds if that’s exceeded and your ball is likely in play, gallery rules.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, david.c.w said:

I have to ask, if you have a lower right cargo pocket, what goes in the upper right cargo pocket?    

I don't have a lower and upper cargo pocket, I guess it would be semantics. Lower would be the cargo pocket, while upper would just be the pocket lol. 

To get back to the intent of the thread I did forget to say headcovers back on right after the shot.

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

60°- Lazrus

On 6/11/2024 at 3:19 AM, LBB said:

I always use the right pocket as a right handed golfer (I do everything else besides golf left handed)

Main reason is what my left and right hands are doing.  Immediately after I pull my ball, the left hand is used to hold the putter up like a Babe Ruth calling his shot to let your buddies know it's going into the hole.  Right hand is to give it a fist  pump and possibly give the "shhh" sign to your friends.  Then use the right hand to pick the ball out of the hole, and naturally into the right pocket.

I admire the amount of thought you've put into your routine and the reasons for it😂

Ball marker, repair tool and ball once holed are the only things allowed in my pocket.  Tee goes in the hat, everything else in the cart or bag if I'm walking.  Glove stays on until I sweat through it.  I don't really care for music, but if I don't know the lyrics, it doesn't bother me.

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics 722E

5w - Sub 70 949X

4H - Ping G425

4-UW Ping i210s

56*, 60* - Sub 70 286

Putter - Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Ball - Vice Pro Zero / Bridgestone Tour B XS

On 6/6/2024 at 8:57 AM, andrelo said:

Same here, glove is off after every shot and it even irks me a bit seeing buddies never take their glove off lol. Not only because I think it makes my gloves last a little longer but its quite a big part of my mental game, taking off the glove is pretty much me accepting my shot and moving onto the next. 

I'll disagree with this I think taking the glove on and off stretches it out and shortens the life.  I never take mine off.  Nicklaus putted with a glove on and he did ok, who am I to think I need to do differently. 

1 hour ago, Rigby48 said:

I'll disagree with this I think taking the glove on and off stretches it out and shortens the life.  I never take mine off.  Nicklaus putted with a glove on and he did ok, who am I to think I need to do differently. 

If the temperature is over 75, my glove comes off after every shot.   If you sweated as much as me, you would understand.   When it reaches the mid 80-degree heat, if I didn't take my glove off it would last maybe 2 or 3 holes before it was too sweat-soaked to be playable.

• Thanks 1

WITB
TaylorMade Qi10 9.0 Tensei AV Limited Black 65 S 

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Limited Blue 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour X L-Neck 35

Srixon-Z Star XV

1 hour ago, Rigby48 said:

How does a glove get more stretched out in the process of putting it on and off than it does wearing it for an extended period of time? Leather gets stretched permanently over prolonged periods of stress not short. It doesn't matter to me at all whether someone takes their glove off, but to say keeping it on prolongs the life is just patently false.

Love me a plastic tee; mine usually last whole rounds. 
Morning tee time over afternoon; play worse in the afternoon
Clubs get a quick wipe before and after each shot; grooves being cleaned if necessary

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Fourteen DJ-5 54 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

I cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war on anyone in my group who uses plastic tees. We have enough microplastic in our blood now without leaving more bits of it on the course every round in more places than we need to. Lovely knowing how many get chopped up and seeded into the ground every time the course & range are cut. 

Only potentialquirk is wooden tees only. Don't consider using headcovers properly as a quirk. 

• Like 3

I try and find at least one intact tee at every tee box to keep.  I never want to buy tees again.  Started doing it a few years ago and now I'm just keeping up with the bit.  And I will always have a tee in my pocket for someone that left theirs at the last hole.

No glove from gap wedge on down.

I use The Grint to upload my scores and use the GPS feature, but I don't use the scorecard until the end of the round.  I use the paper and pencil scorecard and then have a beer with the guys afterward and enter it into The Grint then.

I actually prefer not to drive when using a cart...but I also don't really like driving at all. I normally let my wife drive if we are going about town.

Maybe once every round or two will I quick rake a really, really, short putt.  Gotta finish em out.

Driver - Srixon Z585 - 9.5 Degrees - Project X HZRDUS Black 60g

3 Wood - Callaway Epic Speed - HZRDUS Smoke im10 60g

4 Hybrid - Ping G10 - ProLaunch Red Stiff

2 Iron - Srixon ZU85 - Recoil 95 Stiff

5-PW - Srixon ZX5 - Nippon N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

52 Degree - Cleveland RTX 4 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

56 & 60 Degree - Cleveland RTX 3 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter - Cleveland Huntington Beach 4 - Ping PP58 Midsize Grip

Grips - Golf Pride MCC Black Midsize

Ball - Titleist ProV1 - Overruns only!

• Long tee, short tee, and an extra ball in my left pocket and a Boston Bruins divot tool w ball marker in my right pocket. Nothing in my back pockets ever!
  • Have not worn a glove in 30+ years as it completely mutes my feel.
  • Always use a neon green plastic tee when I use the driver. Tee box is the start of every hole and green means go!
  • Always wear pants. I have never worn shorts on the golf course in 34 years. Just a personal thing for me. I am not offended or care if you do. Grateful for Under Amour golf pants by the way.
  • Always put my driver head cover in the bag on the first tee.
  • Ever since my Dad died in Dec of 2021 I put his name on my scorecard as well.
Edited by mark174ace

Oooh, I'll hop in:

1. Using the cheap/complimentary ball markers from Pinehurst - I live close so I restock all the time

2. I always keep two long tees and two short tees in my pocket

3. Putter headcover is always stuck to an iron when going to putt (magnetized)

4. Clubs always have to be in their assigned slots on the bag

5. Hat and shoes have to be the same color, and sometimes shirt, too

6. Refuse to wear black shoes - it's a mental block for some reason