2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Trend of Using Poker Chips As Ball Markers

[quote name='avgjoe' timestamp='1316619758' post='3579916']
it will not stop... it is something (else) a club/course/shop can sell you
[/quote]

Exactly....not going to change. They are for sale in just about every pro shop these days. And add in the fact that one of the largest putter companies was giving them away, what do you expect.

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

have to agree, drives me nuts too...I usually ask why can't they use a drink coaster

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

Maybe it's been said, but more traditional ball markers don't stand out enough. I like the poker chips because it's way easier to see them. People are always stepping on my line unless I use the chip.

Callaway Rogue 10.5°
Ping G410 2, 3 Hybrid
Ping G410 3, 4 Crossover 
Ping G410 5-UW
Vokey spin milled 54/14
SC Studio Select Newport 2

It depends on how close it is to my line and how much bling it has whether it bothers me. These markers are the best of both worlds, near the hole, small, far away, big.

8d4d1a3580e89a103183eb1545572f32.jpg

879c7df0a6b8affe6f96e123fb3c3a56.jpg

Cobra LTDX LS, Ventus TR S, Tipped 1" at 44.5, 9 @ 8

Ping G425 Max, Ventus TR 7, Tipped 1" at 42.5, 14.5 @ 13.5

Callaway Apex UW w/RDX Smoke Black 80S, 17 & 21

Bridgestone J38cb w/Nippon Modus 130S SS1x, 5-PW

Callaway Mack Daddy 4 S Grind w/Nippon SPB 130x SS2x, 52

Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind w/Nippon SPB 130x SS2x, 56 & 60

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

I carry both, use the poker chip when outside say 15-20 feet, smaller marker when inside or in someone's line of vision....I like this marker as the center pops out, so ya kinda have best of both worlds

Titleist 917 D3 Tour Spec Speeder
Titleist 917 F2 Tensei Orange
Titleist 818 H2 Tensei White
Titleist 718 CB 4-PW KBS C-Taper Limited Gun Metal
PXG Darkness 52/58 MCI-100 black
009 ProV1

The starter's office at Torrey Pines used to have a replica of a penny that was about 5 inches in diameter. Big enough to cover a golf hole. I used to borrow it and mess with my buddies on the course using it as a marker. A few times someone complained about it being in their line, so I balanced it horizontally on a really long tee and challenged them to roll their putt underneath it.

These days I use a military style coin that's the size of a poker chip. Given to me by an ex military sniper who's now a SWAT team member, as appreciation for a putter customization I did for him a while back. He wanted a gunsight reticle engraved on his putter, and if we couldn't do that, he wanted a smiley face with a bullet hole in the forehead. We did both.

Nobody complains about the military coin. They think it looks cool, especially when they hear the story behind it.

TaylorMade 2017 M2 10.5* driver
TaylorMade Aeroburner white 3 wood
TaylorMade Aeroburner white 5 wood
TaylorMade M2 2016 3-4-5 hybrids
TaylorMade 7-AW Burner 2010 black irons
Scratch 53* DD and 60*SS wedges
Newport Buttonback putter with custom welded 1.5 neck (or any of another dozen I've built for myself)
2009 Presidents' Cup staff bag with assorted USA theme headcovers
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1158231-torreyrats-2015-bag/"]WITB Link[/url]

I used one last week to bank a putt in. If you hit one of these the putt is jumping off line by several inches no way around it. A quarter or dime makes the most sense , the ball will roll over top of either and not stray too much. Just loose distance. Besides now that everyone uses a chip isn't the "cool " factor gone anyway ?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Didn't we just have a thread where someone was complaining about his friend never marking his ball? A lot of WRXers said it speeds up play and didn't bother them. Why is a poker chip marker so much worse than a ball?

If it's in your line, have the poker chip guy move it. If he is using it around the hole, make him move it way out of the way if it bothers you or tell him to putt out. Maybe the Poker chip guy will get the hint if you keep asking him to move his chip.

I use the Matrix marker like the one pictured a few posts back. I use the small marker 90% of the time. I only use the whole chip when I'm furthest out or I'm nowhere close to anyone's line. I understand how distracting they can be to other golfers but not as distracting as a ball.

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]10.5* PING G30 Tour 65S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]15* TM RBZ Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]18.5* TM RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]21.5* Bio Cell Hybrid[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]5-AW Srixon z545 C-Taper Lite S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]PING Glide 54*SS, 58*TS[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]Taylormade DLL+ 36"[/color][/size][/font]

Sure is a lot of thought about markers here. I have a couple lucky coins that I rotate through ... but I rarely am wondering what others are using. However, when i am struggling with focus the littlest things distract me. I remember playing in a tournament with a guy who used a tee to mark his ball. It was not in my line but it was close enough to my line that I asked him to use a coin instead of the tee. He refused. So ... I said okay ... you have two options ... I need you to move that tee 10 putter head lengths to the right ... or ... you can use a coin. The guy replaced the tee with the coin.

[quote name='leoh923' timestamp='1279480464' post='2583836']
You are being over sensitive.
[/quote]Exactly!!

Though I never used chips, I've used markers similar to the one below or reversed, with a pink background.

I've only had one FC make a comment regarding my marker in hundreds of matches and it happened to be in the finals of the '12 Inter-Club MP Championship.

I do carry an extra marker in my left front pocket, though it was the same design, just a pink back ground.

However, I am slightly superstitious( ;) ), and the marker in the picture had been on my visor and in play for all of my tourneys and money swats in '12 and short of losing it, it wasn't goin anywhere.

I politely told him this.

I definitely did not say it arrogantly or to antagonize him though it definitely pissed him off, lol.

Oh well ;)

I've had guys lay down everything as markers and when I look at the hole the only thing that I see is the hole and the path my ball is about to take Into that hole.

If someone is bothered by a marker, I would suggest that they tighten up their PSR.

Seriously, it should be a non-entity...

Just my .01 worth-

Nice post Leo!

Have a great day Bro :)

All the Best,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1442488679' post='12325620']
Besides now that everyone uses a chip isn't the "cool " factor gone anyway ?
[/quote]Yep, but you know the herd, lmao

Baaaahhhhhh.......

Baaaaahhhhhhh...........

Stay Well Bro :)

Fairways & Greens My Friend,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Oh it doesn't bother me that much. I'm just stating the obvious that it is a potential hazard. Say if you mark a flagged iron shot while a partner is chipping up. He chips close hits your poker table and boom misses 6 inches one way or another. We probably have issues then. I am unlikely to say anything except " damn. Did you see that ". But I'm unlikely to forget it too. Just no need for huge markers to me. But hey. Whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Movable Obstructions (Rule 24-1)

Movable obstructions (i.e. artificial movable objects such as rakes, bottles, poker chips, etc.) located anywhere may be moved without penalty. If the ball moves as a result, it must be replaced without penalty.

If a ball is in or on a movable obstruction, the ball may be lifted, the obstruction removed and the ball dropped, without penalty, on the spot directly under where the ball lay on the obstruction, except that on the putting green, the ball is placed on that spot.

TaylorMade 2017 M2 10.5* driver
TaylorMade Aeroburner white 3 wood
TaylorMade Aeroburner white 5 wood
TaylorMade M2 2016 3-4-5 hybrids
TaylorMade 7-AW Burner 2010 black irons
Scratch 53* DD and 60*SS wedges
Newport Buttonback putter with custom welded 1.5 neck (or any of another dozen I've built for myself)
2009 Presidents' Cup staff bag with assorted USA theme headcovers
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1158231-torreyrats-2015-bag/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='poppyhillsguy' timestamp='1279480149' post='2583822']
I played in a tournament yesterday where one of the guys used a poker chip as a way of marking his ball. This is the second time this month I've played with someone who used a poker chip to mark their ball. They are LARGE, colorful, and sit-up on the green. They are very distracting whenever marked inside 5 feet from the hole (I like to use a tarnished, old penny inside 5 feet).

Am I being overly sensitive or does this new trend in golf just have to stop?
[/quote]

Needs to stop. Anything larger than quarter is enough and a dime is perfect. Be known for your good putting, not the size of your marker. Ok as collectibles, but no place for them on the course.

I use one of the Bettinardi ball markers they refer to as 'Chicago sewer covers'. They're a little smaller than poker chips, but much larger than a normal coin. I love the weight of it, I always know where it is in my pocket and I don't have to worry about losing it. Plus it cost me $50, so I don't care what anybody says, I'm using it!

My wife has marked with the poker chip that came with her white hot #7 5 years ago, and considers it her "lucky marker". It's never bothered or distracted me.

I don't care if you're marking your ball with a D cell battery, as long as you're willing to move it if it's in my line. The idea that someone's ball marker is distracting says far more about the inability of someone to focus on their putt than it does about the person who uses the unconventional marker. Suck it up and make the putt. :)

M5 w/Rogue
Cobra F6 3/4 wood w/Kuro Kage
RSI 2 driving iron w/recoil
PSI Tour 4-pw w/S300
MD3 50/54/58
Lajosi DD201 w/full face Damascus insert

I use a quarter. I mainly use this because I'm stone cold color blind and a penny completely disappears for me. I can be practically standing on a penny, and it's as if it's not there.

Driver: Mizuno ST-X

FW: TaylorMade Sim2 Ti (5 wood)

Hybrid: PXG Proto

Irons: Srixon ZX-5

Wedges: Taylormade MG2 (54* & 58*)

Putter: Cameron Squareback 2

Just ignore it. Sometimes I use one of the General's Coins that I earned while serving in the Army, I like using them every once in a while.[attachment=2966186:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1443035115.247398.jpg]

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

The most distracting mark I've seen is one that said, in all caps, "DON'T CHOKE" as I was standing over a 4 footer to get up and down. Poker chips never bothered me - if it's somewhat close to my line, I'm definitely having my partner move it to the point where there's no chance of a decent putt getting within an inch or so of it.

Nike Vapor Flex 9.5* Left/Low, Rogue Max Low 75TX
Nike VR Pro LE 15*, 'Ahina 75s
Nike Vapor Fly 20*, ATX Tour Green 85TX
Titleist 712U 4i, C-Taper 120x
Mizuno JPX-800 Pro 5-P, X100
Ping Tour Gorge 50SS, SM5 M-Grind 54/10, TM Tour Preferred 58/10
Edel E-3 Torque Balanced 36", 345g, Golf Pride Tour SNSR Contour 104cc
Titleist Pro V1x
All gripped w/ Lamkin Crossline ACE Midsize, with buildup tape 15.5mm RH/16mm LH

[quote name='micha' timestamp='1443069021' post='12360240']
I once had a 30 foot putt bank in off a poker chip as it was rolling offline so sometimes they can be helpful. I like the small old school ball markers from different courses personally. I got tired of quarters dropping from my pocket. BTW I've never seen a good player using a poker chip. Just saying
[/quote]

My buddy uses a poker chip, and he's a 4.1. Does that count as "good"?

[quote name='lchang' timestamp='1443070037' post='12360288']
[quote name='micha' timestamp='1443069021' post='12360240']
I once had a 30 foot putt bank in off a poker chip as it was rolling offline so sometimes they can be helpful. I like the small old school ball markers from different courses personally. I got tired of quarters dropping from my pocket. BTW I've never seen a good player using a poker chip. Just saying
[/quote]

My buddy uses a poker chip, and he's a 4.1. Does that count as "good"?
[/quote]

you probably don't want the honest answer to that ..Im a low 2 and do not consider myself "good" I struggle all over the place at times... I play with some +2 and 3 guys and they are "good"..... hell of a long jump from 4.1 to +3......

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock