Taylormade V-Steel: Band of Brothers

HoosierHacker89

ok...so I walkout o fthe play it again last week with a paint break 15 degree v steel with a 83X blueboard....for less than $10.... now I bought it for the shaft.... curiosity took over and I hit it.... wow its super straight ... near impossible for me to hook... but workable in both directions... why is it hard for me to put it in the bag? I guess im worried its "shorter" but is it? haven't had it on course yet... when I say distance I don't mean all out..i just mean will it be longer than my 2 iron ? if not ill have a issue with overlap... why did I buy this thing?? lol,,, feels heavy ...and I LOVE that.... why aren't modern 3 woods built like this plus a hotter face? are there any out there like this I don't know about ? these are the questions mother V steel has put in my head

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1437569479' post='11998514']
ok...so I walkout o fthe play it again last week with a paint break 15 degree v steel with a 83X blueboard....for less than $10.... now I bought it for the shaft.... curiosity took over and I hit it.... wow its super straight ... near impossible for me to hook... but workable in both directions... why is it hard for me to put it in the bag? I guess im worried its "shorter" but is it? haven't had it on course yet... when I say distance I don't mean all out..i just mean will it be longer than my 2 iron ? if not ill have a issue with overlap... why did I buy this thing?? lol,,, feels heavy ...and I LOVE that.... why aren't modern 3 woods built like this plus a hotter face? are there any out there like this I don't know about ? these are the questions mother V steel has put in my head
[/quote]

I think the face of the V Steel is hot, maybe one of the first to have a "hot" face, outside of the TEE clubs. I have a 5-wood with a PM902X in it, and I can't believe how far I can hit that thing, high and soft-landing. I can dial it back when I need to, as well. One of the great things about the V Steel is the sole; there may not be a better design out there for hitting off the turf or out of the rough. The V Steel 5-wood is the best-shaped 5-wood head in existence, and holds up against today's longest offerings (as do the other lofts).

well.... late evening 9 tonight.... V steel is here to stay.... what the hell... I cant believe how good this thing is ... so controlled.... it is a touch shorter than the x2hot 757 combo I have /had... but who cares... something that hits a 5 yard fade 99% of the time and is stupid easy off the deck is a no brainer.... count me in as a brother..... BROTHER!!!! ( said in my best hulk Hogan voice)

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='aflackhook13' timestamp='1437300352' post='11977038'][quote name='Armypilot84' timestamp='1437300062' post='11977026']Here is my 3 wood back from Continental Golf with a fresh coat of SLDR black on it.

[attachment=2862004:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1437300045.693484.jpg]

[attachment=2862006:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1437300058.832039.jpg][/quote]

How long did process take round trip? I would love to send my 4&7 off, but birdie season is in full swing and Im not sure I can live without them.[/quote]

I got mine back in about 7 business days after they received it. They refinished my 910 D2 also, and it was a lot more work, so it may have been even faster if it was just the V-Steel.

Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana D+
Bio Cell + 5-7
MP 53 4-PW
Edel 58*
Ping TR 1966 Anser

I get asked about my "3 wood" more than any other club I bring to the course...

Truth? It is a V Steel 4 Wood with the GD Purple Ice shaft. And I murder the ball with it. Expressions on people's faces when I tell them how old it is is priceless. I game it because it is visually perfect (whomever thinks it appears closed is nuts), profoundly consistent in terms of distance, and can be hit off the deck with ease.

Titleist TSr2 w/ HZRDUS Smoke

Cobra BioCell+ 3W Aldila Tour Green

Cally Razr Hawk 7W Aldila Tour Green

Wilson Staff C200 w/ KBS 115’s
Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska
...all subject to “adjustment” per WRX societal norms...

[quote name='Jaygolf37' timestamp='1437620620' post='12003974']
.........it is visually perfect (whomever thinks it appears closed is nuts), profoundly consistent in terms of distance, and can be hit off the deck with ease.
[/quote]

Truth. As a late bloomer to these chronicles, I was a skeptic. Haven't played a 3W in years, having gone the 4W route to elevate the ball off the fairway (or rough). Very first swing with the V-steel, whack and away. The other night in league play, 20* downhill lie, a shot I often have on this course do to my D distance. Usually just hit a hybrid down the fairway for position. Choked down on the V Steel 3W, whack and away. Straight and with good distance. Rather amazing.

Having struggled with the G20 4W for so long, I had abandoned it for an old 19* hybrid I had around. So desperate was I to get something out of a fairway shot. As one gets older, the search for lost distance is very real and an ongoing process. Therefore, it is nice to have a 3W back in the bag, after all these years, that is this easy to hit and elevate. And straight, with just a bit of a "baby fade". Perfect.

Sure, all you WRXer's can point to model "X" using brand "Y" shaft and say they are better. Maybe they are for you. But at what amount of total investment or level of marginal returns? I have next to nothing invested in these V Steels. As a regular resident of the "Classic" forum, we kind of get use to finding (and sharing) good performing older golf clubs for pennies on the dollar. The V steels, at this point in time, are everything I could ask for in a fairway wood based on my average, recreational golfer abilities. Color me more than impressed.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Yesterday I picked up an X2Hot Pro 17 from GG that they were practically giving away. Threw it and my V-Steel 4w in the carry bag for a quick twilight nine with the bride. V-Steel just as far, on a better trajectory, and more consistent (disclaimer - the V-Steel has an excellent shaft for me and the X2Hot one that is merely okay for my swing). Newer isn't better.

I'm still wrestling with the two clubs I'll carry between driver and 4h but every time I stray too far, V-Steel comes home. As was stated above, visually they are as near perfect as exists. I think I may give a T/S and 4W combo a whirl if I can find a T/S on the Bay for cheap.

TSi3 10

TS2 16.5 & 21

G425 22 & 26

ZX7 6i - PW

Vokey 54F-14, 58K-12

Spider X

[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1437569479' post='11998514']ok...so I walkout o fthe play it again last week with a paint break 15 degree v steel with a 83X blueboard....for less than $10.... now I bought it for the shaft.... curiosity took over and I hit it.... wow its super straight ... near impossible for me to hook... but workable in both directions... why is it hard for me to put it in the bag? I guess im worried its "shorter" but is it? haven't had it on course yet... when I say distance I don't mean all out..i just mean will it be longer than my 2 iron ? if not ill have a issue with overlap... why did I buy this thing?? lol,,, feels heavy ...and I LOVE that.... why aren't modern 3 woods built like this plus a hotter face? are there any out there like this I don't know about ? these are the questions mother V steel has put in my head[/quote]

Good luck finding much shallower a face than the v steel. Titleist probably makes the shallowest face of the modern fwy woods.

Calloway Steelheads were similar, but long live the v steel.

Played my first round today with my re-shafted V-Steel. It now has a new Diamana D+ (from a 915). I did not think it was possible to make this club any better, but I did. Wow!! Its like this shaft awakened the animal in this club. Nice mid-flight baby draws all day long. Can't tell you how much I missed this club while it was getting refinished.

Titleist 910D2 w/Diamana D+
Bio Cell + 5-7
MP 53 4-PW
Edel 58*
Ping TR 1966 Anser

Truth? It is a V Steel 4 Wood with the GD Purple Ice shaft. And I murder the ball with it. Expressions on people's faces when I tell them how old it is is priceless. I game it because it is visually perfect (whomever thinks it appears closed is nuts), profoundly consistent in terms of distance, and can be hit off the deck with ease.
[/quote]

I still play a the 13 degree T/S with a Purple Ice. What amazes me is how many people just fell into this combo. I don't even remember what prompted me to try the Purple Ice in this club all those years ago, but it was just a thought I had that apparently so many others had, as well.

TaylorMade Stealth2+ 9.0, Ventus Black 6X, 45.75"

TaylorMade 300 Mini Blackout 13.5, Ventus Black 7X, 43"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), Ventus TR Red 7X, 42.5"

TaylorMade P770 3 (2023), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG Raw 52, DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T, DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
Bridgestone Tour B XS (2024)

My WITB Post

[quote name='jll62' timestamp='1437765346' post='12013820']

[/quote]

I still play a the 13 degree T/S with a Purple Ice. What amazes me is how many people just fell into this combo. I don't even remember what prompted me to try the Purple Ice in this club all those years ago, but it was just a thought I had that apparently so many others had, as well.
[/quote]

My thoughts too. The stock shaft wasn't awful for the time period, but the Purple Ice was a significant upgrade. For me, it really promoted a consistent trajectory. I bought mine with the shaft already installed. I have hit a few V Steels w the regular stock shaft in it...night and day. The crazy thing is that the Purple Ice has stood the test of time as much as the head has. I wonder if a comparable shaft in terms of bend profile and feel is out there that is more "modern"? Any brothers have any thoughts?

Titleist TSr2 w/ HZRDUS Smoke

Cobra BioCell+ 3W Aldila Tour Green

Cally Razr Hawk 7W Aldila Tour Green

Wilson Staff C200 w/ KBS 115’s
Cleveland DSG 52 & 58
TP Hydroblast Chaska
...all subject to “adjustment” per WRX societal norms...

• 2 weeks later...

As I went to twirl her and admire her flight she snapped right above the hosel. About 240 yds center cut laid my ball, but fairway finder, my first taste of exotic shafts, and one one hell of a fwy wood lay lifeless 5 yards in front of me.

We salute our falllen soldiers. Consider it an omen but i broke it on #2 and had one ordered off fleebay with same head, shaft, and grip before front 9 was completed.

Oh and a 99 yard sw later a 21 gun salute birdie.

[quote name='Jaygolf37' timestamp='1437781521' post='12015158']
[quote name='jll62' timestamp='1437765346' post='12013820']

[/quote]

[/quote]

My thoughts too. The stock shaft wasn't awful for the time period, but the Purple Ice was a significant upgrade. For me, it really promoted a consistent trajectory. I bought mine with the shaft already installed. I have hit a few V Steels w the regular stock shaft in it...night and day. [i][b]The crazy thing is that the Purple Ice has stood the test of time as much as the head has.[/b][/i] I wonder if a comparable shaft in terms of bend profile and feel is out there that is more "modern"? Any brothers have any thoughts?
[/quote]

That is an outstanding point. I have a TS V Steel and a 5W V Steel with Purple Ice 85X in them, and they are incredible. I have 5 new Purple Ice shafts sitting around: 2 85X, 2 85S (one a .350), and a 95X. That is the one shaft I try to collect, whenever I find a decent deal on them, which in the heavier weights is becoming more rare.

• 4 weeks later...

I have like 4 vsteels for sale if anyone is interested. A couple tour issue.

stealth 2 plus, 10.5 Titleist 6x tr blue

Cobra 4 iron 
G425 5 and 7 woods red ventus 90x

Tsi2 3 wood RDX black x

PXG 0311xp 5-gw, 0211 G,SW,LW  Wilson ci11 w/ ctaper 130x

Titleist sm9 s400 56,60
2ball blade
Titleist v1x

(Just had a shoulder replaced and I am buying clubs for my fantasy bag).

The thread that just won't die. This thread is the only reason I'm hanging on to the 15* 3 wood head I have laying around all beat up.

I'm sure they're out there, but I can't recall a thread getting this many responses for such an older club.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

Anyone have any shaft suggestions? I have one of the paint break 4 woods but the stock stiff has always been whippy for me. I'd like to throw something better in there and bring her back to life. I've seen the purple ice mentioned but don't even know if I could find one of those. I'm wondering how a proforce v2 would work out.

I'd be more inclined to throw a ProLaunch Blue or a NV in there than a v2.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='bossman641' timestamp='1441225878' post='12253092']
Anyone have any shaft suggestions? I have one of the paint break 4 woods but the stock stiff has always been whippy for me. I'd like to throw something better in there and bring her back to life. I've seen the purple ice mentioned but don't even know if I could find one of those. I'm wondering how a proforce v2 would work out.
[/quote]

I love the RIP Alpha 80g in my 5 wood. It's like swinging lumber for me (I have a slow SS), but it is an amazing combo. It's like pulling teeth trying to find another RIPa 80g for a decent price. I got a 7w that needs one!!!!

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

[quote name='Joe85' timestamp='1441219973' post='12252450']
The thread that just won't die. This thread is the only reason I'm hanging on to the 15* 3 wood head I have laying around all beat up.

I'm sure they're out there, but I can't recall a thread getting this many responses for such an older club.
[/quote]

It doesn't have more responses, but the Lynx Parallax irons thread is basically 10 years old:

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/7200-anyone-play-the-early-90s-lynx-parallax-irons/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...parallax-irons/[/url]

:wave:

Kathy Marie

Walked into Play-it-Again on Sunday and there it was in the bargain bin . . . a V-steel 7 wood. With the fall clearance sale I paid $3. Came home and reshafted with an original Prolanch Blue stiff. This thing is money. Better than the Nike hybrid I was using in that spot. Now I just need a Tour Spoon to complete my set of V-Steels. Total cost for all 3 clubs has been under $40. They are true legends.

[quote name='mikah' timestamp='1432425677' post='11615596']
any of the band of brothers tried the Grenade driver , fairway woods from Bombtech?

Visually the design looks very similar to V steel. Wondering if there is some similiarity in feel, performance?
[/quote]

I play the Bombtech 5W and V Steel 7W and they are both just money clubs! Favorite clubs in the bag. I just grin when I have to use either of these clubs. Both long and straight with great flight (and somewhat similar flight) and both so easy off the deck.

7W V-Steel just lands softly on greens. The 5W Bombtech is more often 2nd shots on Par 5's (and it gets me darn close to the green), but I think the flight is very similar to me, as the V Steel. Piercing high flight with nice soft landings.

I also have a V Steel 5W which I really like as well, but right now the Bombtech 5W is in the bag, so I have not used the V Steel 5W as much. I have not actually done a direct comparison of the two 5Ws, at the range yet, as I was thinking of re-shafting the V Steel first, but now that you mention it, I am definitely going to go to the range and do just that. Both just awesome clubs IMO.

[quote name='bossman641' timestamp='1441225878' post='12253092']
[/quote]

I put a V2 75g in a T/S and it's awesome. Hits it high and far. I have a NV 85g in a 15 degree and it hits close to same trajectory as the T/S. Amazing club heads especially when reshafted.

This thread makes me want to dig out my v-steel 3 wood that's been sat in a bag in the loft for a couple of years. I don't carry a 3 wood at the moment either....

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour 
Titleist ts3 21 Hzrdus Smoke
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Titleist Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Taylormade Myspider Tour X  
Taylormade speedsoft

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

Had been playing a Ping G20 4W for several seasons. Easier to get up and away. Read this thread. Bought a V Steel 3W and 5W. Shafted the 3 with a Grafalloy Epic (tipped to 3W length) I had around. Marvelous club, so easy to hit. As a more "seasoned" golfer, the quest for lost yardage is a very real and on-going pursuit. Nice to play a 3W again, that I can hit affectively and consistently and pick up a few of those lost yards.

The 4W has since been sold. Perusing for a V Steel 7W to add to the bag.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs