2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Taylormade V-Steel: Band of Brothers

HoosierHacker89

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='daco81se' timestamp='1335316187' post='4783998']
Here's my 3 (Tour Spoon 13*) and 5 (18*) V-steels, both are Tour Issue, the TS has the 757 speeder and the 5 has an 862 speeder, bought both new in 03 I believe, havn't been out (and probably won't) of the bag since, although they kinda stick out (that's a good thing) with all my Ping's (and my Taylor SW, but fixing to replace that with a Scratch), they still look good, same shafts as I bought them, just buy new headcovers every 3-4 yrs. Great clubs, 3 wood has a few chips, 5 looks real good, can't say the same for my picture taking skills.

[attachment=1134696:008.jpg]
[attachment=1134700:011.jpg]
[attachment=1134702:014.jpg]
[attachment=1134704:021.jpg]
[/quote]

This thread has gotten long since I posted the above in 2012, not long after that, I get rid of my V-steels, why? I don't know, but I'm back, after playing several RBZ's, a TEE, and a Callaway (I played those V-steels for 10 yrs) the last cpl yrs, I'm going back with V-steels, found a Tour Issue (what I had before, I'm staying with it) 15* on Ebay (seller didn't know) for cheap, going to send it to Continental for a refinish and to install a new 757 spdr (the old school one) I've been saving. Bet I'll play these fopr another 10.

Just gotta find an 18* now, and another spdr shaft.

I played my first round with my new to me 5w. At one time, I had the 3,5,&7. Not sure why I got rid of them, especially after playing one again. there is absolutely nothing better IMO. Just killed it. My buddy got tired of watching me hit crazy shots with it. Not as good off the tee as my Exotics Trilogy, but a little time at the range should fix that. Now if the rest of my bag behaved so well...

Cobra ZL
Titleist 915f 5w
Cobra Fly Z XL 5h
Ping Rapture v1 6-PW
TM ATV 56 SW
Odyssey Mini-T putter

• 1 month later...

Picked up a new addition to the collection this weekend. 13* T/S off the used rack for $20 with my preferred stiff steel stock shaft.

[attachment=2231533:image.jpg]
[attachment=2231535:image.jpg]

Ping G410 9* Alta CB
Ping G410 15* 3 Wood Alta CB
Ping G410 19* & 22* Hybrid Alta CB
Ping i500 Recoil 5-UW
Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 54*, 58*
Ping Anser Milled 0
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1378338-pkshooter-witb-2016-all-ping/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='pkshooter' timestamp='1400466395' post='9321321']
Picked up a new addition to the collection this weekend. 13* T/S off the used rack for $20 with my preferred stiff steel stock shaft.

[/quote]

...except for the 5-wood i used to have all of these plus a 21* 7-wood and a 24* 9-wood...

i still have the 15* 3-wood, 16.5* 4-wood and the 9-wood..

...regretted selling my 13* T/S and 7-wood and never really looked for the 5-wood.......

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

[quote name='daco81se' timestamp='1396835544' post='9035403']
Here's my 3 (Tour Spoon 13*) and 5 (18*) V-steels, both are Tour Issue, the TS has the 757 speeder and the 5 has an 862 speeder, bought both new in 03 I believe, havn't been out (and probably won't) of the bag since, although they kinda stick out (that's a good thing) with all my Ping's (and my Taylor SW, but fixing to replace that with a Scratch), they still look good, same shafts as I bought them, just buy new headcovers every 3-4 yrs. Great clubs, 3 wood has a few chips, 5 looks real good, can't say the same for my picture taking skills.

[/quote]

This thread has gotten long since I posted the above in 2012, not long after that, I get rid of my V-steels, why? I don't know, but I'm back, after playing several RBZ's, a TEE, and a Callaway (I played those V-steels for 10 yrs) the last cpl yrs, I'm going back with V-steels, found a Tour Issue (what I had before, I'm staying with it) 15* on Ebay (seller didn't know) for cheap, going to send it to Continental for a refinish and to install a new 757 spdr (the old school one) I've been saving. Bet I'll play these fopr another 10.

[/quote]

Interesting...about 18 months ago I got a tour issue V-Steel 15* with a Speeder 757X (old school) for $40 off eBay. Seller didn't know what they had, either. Noticed the paint break from the pic, and it came with no serial number. He shoots, he scores!!! Great club. Can really go after it with that shaft, too. Funny, it's one of my least expensive, but most valuable clubs; cheap, but irreplaceable. Also have other V-Steels with Purple Ice 85X in them...just sweet. Has Graphite Design made a better shaft than the Purple Ice?

[quote name='ElJefe26' timestamp='1395156456' post='8897035']
[quote name='alvesm' timestamp='1394817556' post='8871219']
Here's my story: I had found one a while long ago on some shady local second-hand ad website. No golfer really looks there I don't think, so I though I'd let the time pass to see if the price dropped. Then a week ago I wrote the seller to find more about the shaft and loft (you couldn't tell from the picture but the owner replied it was a 4w with stiff speeder 757) and then negotiated the price down a bit. We ended up agreeing to €50 delivered so not incredibly cheap but I really wanted to own a 4w to play in a driver-4w-3i-... setup, and since everything in my bag is an old classic this was a great fit.

The v-steel 4w arrived in the post 2 days ago and I was a bit upset to see the speeder 757 is actually x-stiff (which may well be too stiff for me - I swing my driver 104-107) but at least the condition was really good. I also noticed it had the paint break in the hosel and no serial so I wrote the guy to let him know it had arrived and asked him if he could offer any info re. the origin of the club (oh and that the shaft was "somehow" stiffer than i'd expected). He's just replied saying that he got it from a tour van - apparently they built it for him for free back in 2004-5 when he played at one event of the european challenge tour and that yes it's really stiff, he's recently bought ping g20 3 and 5w to replace this...

Will take it to the range this weekend, hoping it's not too stiff.
[/quote]

I picked up a 3-wood V Steel on eBay that looked like it had the paint break from the pictures for about $40. Received it, and sure enough it had the paint break and no serial number, and had a Speeder 757X in it. I knew about the shaft, and figured the X shaft was why I got a tour issue V Steel for so cheap. Anyway, took it and hit it, and love that combo!! That thing just goes hard and straight on a piercing trajectory. My swing speed is the same as yours. It's stout, but give it a whirl; you may find you really like it. It is not unhittable in any way, it just reminds of steel shafts but with a lighter weight. Very stable and very predictable.
[/quote]

Thanks indeed, it's just as you say - stable and predictable but with a nice feel and piercing flight. I agree with @ElJefe26 that the combo is something you can really go after. I have been so happy that I bought a 13* t/s with a stiff fuji vista tour but it's worlds apart.

Still in love with my 3 and 5 woods with the UST Gold 65 shafts. It's so nice having them back in the bag.

LEFT HANDED
Driver:  TaylorMade SIM 2 9 degree adjusted to 10.5
Fairway:  TaylorMade SIM 2 16.5 degree 
Hybrid:  TaylorMade M4 19 degree
Irons:  Cobra Forged Tec X 5-GW/Wedge: TaylorMade Milled Grind 2 54 degree
Putter: Work in Progress
Ball: TaylorMade TP5 yellow

[quote name='ElJefe26' timestamp='1400480491' post='9322215']
[quote name='daco81se' timestamp='1396835544' post='9035403']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Interesting...about 18 months ago I got a tour issue V-Steel 15* with a Speeder 757X (old school) for $40 off eBay. Seller didn't know what they had, either. Noticed the paint break from the pic, and it came with no serial number. He shoots, he scores!!! Great club. Can really go after it with that shaft, too. Funny, it's one of my least expensive, but most valuable clubs; cheap, but irreplaceable. Also have other V-Steels with Purple Ice 85X in them...just sweet. Has Graphite Design made a better shaft than the Purple Ice?
[/quote]

I picked up a TI 13*TS a few months ago on the bay with the Tour Shaqx shaft. Thing was a beast, but I hit my 4w plenty far. Got the club for $12 shipped... Guy knew exactly what he had, but apparently no one else was interested. I won it with the opening bid plus shipping.

Callaway Rogue SZ 10.5* W/ Matrix F7M2
Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 16.5* W/ Matrix F7M2 Proto

Adams Super LS 19* W/ Kuro Kage 80
Royal Collection Tour VS 5-PW W/ Aldila RIP Tour 115
Taylormade RAC Satin 50 + 54 W/ Aldila RIP Tour 115
MaxFli CrossBax 3.0 (#9 Style)
Bag - Honma Mini Staff
Ball - Taylormade RBZ Urethane

• 1 month later...

Picked up another one of these beasts

Mint!! tour spoon 13dg with a 65gm Proforce Gold and excellent condition NDMC Patriot

30 bucks :-) Got a knowing look from the golfsmith guy when he asked if i wanted to hit anything and ignored the 913s and stage 2 preowneds they had

Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"

I recently picked up a 15° 3-wood with the stock Senior flex shaft in it for ....$4 from a local yard sale. Took it home and put my preferred shaft in it and threw it in the bag and have been loving it since day 1. $4 3 wood, who knew! Hahaha.

SLDR 460 8.5° / TEE XCG6 16.5°
2-PW '94 Ram FXTG / Rifle 7.0
Cally Jaws CC SW 55° / LW 60°
Arm Lock Ping Cushin / Salty Grip.
WITB Link

• 2 weeks later...

great thread here guys keep it up! i am playing the g15 4 wood still as of now, because of gapping in my bag. The v steels are quietly waiting their turn. They will never be sold that is for sure.

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

Let me start off by saying I'm a pretty loyal Callaway guy and I have vowed never to own a single TM club. Recently I've realized my 2 iron is doing me more harm than good and I should start looking at a 5 wood (I've never actually owned a 5 wood before). I considered everything from the new Big Bertha all the way back to the Big Bertha Warbirds but ultimately decided to try a V Steel based solely on its reputation on this forum. I checked ebay and found a V Steel 5 wood in mint condition for $50 and impulsively bought it. Then I looked for a pulled shaft to put in it and found a user selling a 3 wood and 5 wood length Motore F3 70g X Flex, so I impulsively bought both. Patiently waited and found a 13° tour spoon in excellent shape, had the new shafts installed, polished up the heads a little bit, and here they are.

Great thread here, good pics of some real die hard collectors!

I wish I still had a pic of my 3 wood, but I went from the V-steel to the 17HL SLDR and I love the similarity between the two clubs, the SLDR definitely is easier to get away with on mis-hits and is just as good off the deck as the old V-steel. I got mine cut a 1/4" to equal out the length and it really made a difference. Maybe just mental, but I feel that I can "cover" the ball more with the club being not as long.

I loved my V-Steel for years, but it was time to move on.

• 3 weeks later...

Count me in the brotherhood. I picked up a 15* on the bst for free!!!(plus shipping) and took it out for a test run today. I have been gaming an og RBZ that I could never really get comfortable with. I didn't figure it would hurt anything to test the waters. The first on course short with the v steel was a 280 yd gps measured high draw of the tee. Great for me with a 3 wd. I love the feel, sound and looks of the v steel but figured I would lose some distance coming from the RBZ. After using it off the tee several times today it seems like that may not be the case. Nothing but high draws for me today. Very consistent. If I don't change my mind the RBZ will be on the bst very shortly. V steel is in the bag.

Superfast 1.0 TP
913 FD 15*
Rocketbladez Tour 3-P
Red Saw Vokeys
Scotty Select Squareback

I took mine out of the bag for a while. I bounced around from fairway to fairway. I haven't found anything that I like better. So the 5w is making it's way back into the bag!!

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

I just joined the club today. Went into golf galaxy to grab a couple grips and I looked in the used club racks and there it was. V Steel 3 wood with a grafalloy pro lite shaft for $3.99. took it to the range and was smoking it. As good as everyone has been saying on here. Now I need a 5 wood.

Taylormade Stealth Plus// HZRDUS RDS Black 
Callaway X2Hot 5 Deep // Aldila Tour Green

Taylormade Stealth 7 Wood // Diamana D Limited

Taylormade P790 UDI // Tensei Pro White
Cobra F7 Hybrid 23.5// Diamana D+
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
Taylormade Mill Grind 52 // DG S400
Taylormade Mill Grind 58 // DG S400
Odyssey White Hot OG 7

So, the real question is, has anyone here compared the V Steel to the Mizuno MP 650? Holy grail vs holy grail? I'm likely getting one or the other.

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke TD 8 degree w/ Ventus TR 6X
Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Tour 14.5 w/Tensei CK White 70TX

Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 18 degree X flex, Adams Idea Pro 23 X flex
Irons: New Level 623 CB w/Tour Issue DG X100 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zip Core 52, 58 KBS 610 S+ 
Putter: Makefield
Ball: 2024 Chrome Tour X

• 1 month later...

I refinished my v steel. Sandblasted it and did white paint fill. Came out pretty good.

Taylormade Stealth Plus// HZRDUS RDS Black 
Callaway X2Hot 5 Deep // Aldila Tour Green

Taylormade Stealth 7 Wood // Diamana D Limited

Taylormade P790 UDI // Tensei Pro White
Cobra F7 Hybrid 23.5// Diamana D+
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
Taylormade Mill Grind 52 // DG S400
Taylormade Mill Grind 58 // DG S400
Odyssey White Hot OG 7

[quote name='chch3' timestamp='1410223759' post='10086745']
I refinished my v steel. Sandblasted it and did white paint fill. Came out pretty good.
[/quote]

That looks sweet! I refinished my Vsteels with flat black crowns, but that bead blast looks sharp.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone tell me the CCs (cubic whatever) the woods are, from the 3 down?

?

I just got a 15 degree 3 wood from Goodwill for $6.99 and am wondering how big the head is.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

See page 2...
[url="https://taylormadegolf.com/on/demandware.static/Sites-TMaG-Site/Sites-TMaG-Library/en_US/v1384071075751/docs/productspecs/05_fairway_SS.pdf"]https://taylormadegolf.com/on/demandware.static/Sites-TMaG-Site/Sites-TMaG-Library/en_US/v1384071075751/docs/productspecs/05_fairway_SS.pdf[/url]

Rogue 9* / PX Even Flow Blue
G 5W 16.9* / TFC Tour 80
G30 4H 22* / TFC Tour 90
G25 5-UW / DG XP X100
MD2 C-Grind 58-14* / DG S300
Odyssey WHP #7

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up a 4 wood off the Bay - did the steel shafts come with a Dynamic Gold shaft band or a Dynamic Gold [u][i]Lite[/i][/u] band?

This may have been reshafted with a DG some point during it's life, but the ferrule looks oem and doesn't appear to be molested.

Will be an interesting comparison between the 4 wood with steel and my 5 wood with the stock MAS graphite shaft.

Thanks in advance.

Phil

I saw Brandel Chamblee drinkin' a piña colada at Trader Vic's
His hair was perfect

[size=2][i]- Warren Zevon, Werewolves of London[/i][/size]

[size=4]All the clubs I've ever owned.[/size]

[quote name='pkshooter' timestamp='1400466395' post='9321321']

[/quote]

You're missing my 21°. Gotta get one of those. Blows todays hybrids out of the water.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter