2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Taylormade V-Steel: Band of Brothers

HoosierHacker89

[quote name='PBrowne3' timestamp='1367370493' post='6947655']
I have played a tour issue v steel 15* with a Diamana Blueboard 83 for about 6 years now and it has been an incredible club.

However, it has taken a bit of a beating over the past few years and all of the new toys available in the fairway wood department have my eye wandering a bit. The most tempting affair would probably take place with an XHot Pro 17*, which i assume would probably go about as far as my baby (15* v steel), only with a higher ball flight.

Am I crazy for even considering this? Has anyone hit their V Steel up against any of the new stuff such as XHot Pro, RBZ Stage 2 of G25???

I almost feel dirty even considering leaving my faithful weapon.
[/quote]

picked up G20's #3 and #5 this year with RIP 70X's.....compared against my V's with AXE 70 tour stiff shafts (basically x) - results were very similar but the forgiveness factor at least to my eye goes to the G20's - the slightly bigger head size and shallower face gave me a bit more confidence off the fairways. don't think i will sell the V's though, for what i would get for them and for as good as they perform, i might as well keep them in bag #2.

Adams Speedline Launch Lab 9.5*, Adams 9064LS 9.5*, TM Jetspeed 10.5*, PING G20 9.5*
TM Jetspeed 3HL, PING G20 16.5*, TM Jetspeed 5HL 
Ping I3+ Blades 3-LW
Callaway Raxr X Tour- #2, 3 & 4 hybrids
Callaway I-Trax, Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

• 2 weeks later...

I have played a tour issue v steel 15* with a Diamana Blueboard 83 for about 6 years now and it has been an incredible club.

However, it has taken a bit of a beating over the past few years and all of the new toys available in the fairway wood department have my eye wandering a bit. The most tempting affair would probably take place with an XHot Pro 17*, which i assume would probably go about as far as my baby (15* v steel), only with a higher ball flight.

Am I crazy for even considering this? Has anyone hit their V Steel up against any of the new stuff such as XHot Pro, RBZ Stage 2 of G25???

[/quote]

Well, I am in this thread for this very reason. I have been 2nd guessing my choice of a 17* XTD Super Hybrid as my primary fairway. I wen to GS to try out the XHot Pro, as I was a big fan of the DET and DOT. I spent a lot of time on the monitor with the XHot pro, my XTD Super Hybrid, and RBZ (V1). For the heck of it I grabbed some used clubs off of the rack as a baseline to see if my numbers with the XHot were legit, they were significantly better than I am accustomed to seeing in real life. I grabbed a V-Steel with the stock shaft and was more consistent, and about 8-9 yards shorter due to higher flight and spin. I bet the numbers would be closer if I wasn't hitting off of a mat.There is something about this club that inspires confidence, to me that more than makes up for its perceived lack of technology.

Picked up a 15* for $14 today. I have a 70 gram RIP beta that I am going to try this weekend. I figured it is a cheap experiment either way.

Rogue 9* / PX Even Flow Blue
G 5W 16.9* / TFC Tour 80
G30 4H 22* / TFC Tour 90
G25 5-UW / DG XP X100
MD2 C-Grind 58-14* / DG S300
Odyssey WHP #7

look at my sig........sick of taylormade and all the new stuff,,,,,,,,if it aint broken.....why fix it.....had order rocketbladz tour but cancelled because of backorder......was I happy.........because

I saved myself a lot of money and the frustration of getting new Taylormade gear because of all its new releases..........

I am a 'Taylormade Club Ho' and I cannot comment on the RBT playability,looks etc........but V-steel woods are Classics, R510tp is a :hunter::hunter: Fairway finder and my R9 Bs are 'buttery'...........

[quote name='MountainKing' timestamp='1369014770' post='7066362']
The stock shaft is pretty terrible however I hit the hell out of it so I have not bothered changing it and probably never will.
[/quote]

I will give it a try before i look for something else. Anyone play with a steel shaft? I was thinking about getting s300 or something along those lines.

I've heard good things about steel shafts in these. My favorite woods from the '90s all used Dynamic Lite shafts, but I don't think I'd give up the Grafalloy Blue or Aldila NV in these V-Steels. That, combined with the fact that you can get either of those shafts for just a few bucks more than a new DG wood shaft… I'd probably pick something that fits me well and breaks into millions of tiny splinters when I'm done with it. Steel shafts just aren't any fun.

Just got back into the swing of things again last night. Just picked up a 3 wood with the Rombax 75s in it for $20 bucks. Super excited about this one!

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

Alright, thanks to all you "hoes" on this board, I read this thread, drank the Kool-Aid, pulled up eBay, and bought some V-Steels of my own. Got a Tour Spoon, two 5-woods, and a tour issue 3-wood with a 757X. Grand total of about $110 shipped. I took the Tour Spoon and one 5-wood and shafted each of them up with a brand new Purple Ice 85X, also acquired off eBay, for $25 apiece, and...

HOLY CRAP!!!

I clobbered those things this weekend!! The 5-wood was consistently getting me 250 off the tee. I had a one-time best with the Tour Spoon of 325 on the 10th hole. The fairway was a bit dry, and slightly downhill, but still...it beats my best [i]driver[/i] ever on that hole by 15 yards. What do they make these things from? I've got two R7 TPs purchased off of eBay over the winter (Tour Spoon and 5-wood), and wonder if it's even worth the effort to get those things shafted up properly; I'm having a little difficulty seeing how these can be improved upon. But if the ho bug keeps biting, I'll probably have to try...

[quote name='ElJefe26' timestamp='1369762239' post='7121254']
Alright, thanks to all you "hoes" on this board, I read this thread, drank the Kool-Aid, pulled up eBay, and bought some V-Steels of my own. Got a Tour Spoon, two 5-woods, and a tour issue 3-wood with a 757X. Grand total of about $110 shipped. I took the Tour Spoon and one 5-wood and shafted each of them up with a brand new Purple Ice 85X, also acquired off eBay, for $25 apiece, and...

HOLY CRAP!!!

I clobbered those things this weekend!! The 5-wood was consistently getting me 250 off the tee. I had a one-time best with the Tour Spoon of 325 on the 10th hole. The fairway was a bit dry, and slightly downhill, but still...it beats my best [i]driver[/i] ever on that hole by 15 yards. What do they make these things from? I've got two R7 TPs purchased off of eBay over the winter (Tour Spoon and 5-wood), and wonder if it's even worth the effort to get those things shafted up properly; I'm having a little difficulty seeing how these can be improved upon. But if the ho bug keeps biting, I'll probably have to try...
[/quote]

5 wood...250? Off the tee? Wow. I love my 5W anywhere on the short grass and out of rough it gets out easy, but off the tee? -- I don't do so well. I think I've hit one good drive with it, and only used it once as a driver because I didn't have a driver at the time and the 3W was misbehaving. Otherwise, the times I've used it off the tee were to lay up with but I've been pulling it or blocking it. I don't particularly like the small size of the head when a ball is teed up even when I tee it down lower. Probably just in my head and I can adjust, but looking down at address is not comfortable for me.

Cobra King F9 Speedback 9PX EvenFlow White T-1100 6.5-X 75g

Cobra King F9 Speedback Baffler Tour 4-5 17.5GD Tour AD TP-8x

Cobra King RAD Speed 21*  UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 480 F5

Callaway '09 X-Forged 4-5i  PX Flighted 6.0

Titleist 910H 27Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 100
Cobra S3 Pro Forged CB/MB 6-PW  TT DG TI S400
Titleist Vokey Sm7 52/58*  TT DG S200
Bettinardi  '19 Queen B #6  35"

Titleist AVX/ProV1-V1x

[quote name='BTP' timestamp='1369781968' post='7123442']
[quote name='ElJefe26' timestamp='1369762239' post='7121254']

HOLY CRAP!!!

[/quote]

5 wood...250? Off the tee? Wow. I love my 5W anywhere on the short grass and out of rough it gets out easy, but off the tee? -- I don't do so well. I think I've hit one good drive with it, and only used it once as a driver because I didn't have a driver at the time and the 3W was misbehaving. Otherwise, the times I've used it off the tee were to lay up with but I've been pulling it or blocking it. I don't particularly like the small size of the head when a ball is teed up even when I tee it down lower. Probably just in my head and I can adjust, but looking down at address is not comfortable for me.
[/quote]

It's funny, but I've never hit a 5-wood that far before. I also have the V-Steel's successor, a TM R7 ST 5-wood that I could hit at best 235. It's shafted with a Dynalite Gold S300. The performance of the V-Steel has to be part shaft. Apparently, that Purple Ice just works for me. Off the turf, I was hitting the V-Steel 220-230, but couldn't believe it off the tee. I like the small heads of the V-Steels. To me, those smaller heads give me the "How can I possibly miss" mindset. Those older TM fairway woods--V-Steel, R7, and the like--just look like a fairway wood should. The head is the right size and shape, the face depth just right, the sole works in nearly all situations, and the head just doesn't seem to be as light as more recent offerings, which helps my timing and feel immensely. I had heard that the V-Steels had hot faces, but I questioned whether they would be that hot; maybe they are.

• 2 weeks later...

Gents, as promised a while back here are a few pics of my refurbished 5 wood. Took the opportunity to get a Fubuki AX shaft (sourced from the bay) fitted at the same time, first round out was a nightmare, today was a different story - I hit some really good shots with it and got some great feedback from the shaft. My thanks to Phil at Clubclass Solihull for getting the work sorted. Now the question is do I treat the 3 wood to the same?

"Carol Vorderman..... I was watching her the other day .....and I got aroused...............7 letters ... not bad for someone who left school at 15"

Gotta love Peter Alliss!

[quote name='Nick6771' timestamp='1370810467' post='7200848']
Gents, as promised a while back here are a few pics of my refurbished 5 wood. Took the opportunity to get a Fubuki AX shaft (sourced from the bay) fitted at the same time, first round out was a nightmare, today was a different story - I hit some really good shots with it and got some great feedback from the shaft. My thanks to Phil at Clubclass Solihull for getting the work sorted. Now the question is do I treat the 3 wood to the same?
[/quote]

mmmm. Beautiful. Yes, yes you should do the same for the 3W.

Cobra King F9 Speedback 9PX EvenFlow White T-1100 6.5-X 75g

Cobra King F9 Speedback Baffler Tour 4-5 17.5GD Tour AD TP-8x

Cobra King RAD Speed 21*  UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 480 F5

Callaway '09 X-Forged 4-5i  PX Flighted 6.0

Titleist 910H 27Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 100
Cobra S3 Pro Forged CB/MB 6-PW  TT DG TI S400
Titleist Vokey Sm7 52/58*  TT DG S200
Bettinardi  '19 Queen B #6  35"

Titleist AVX/ProV1-V1x

Back in the saddle with a 16.5 shafted with a proforce V2 76x @ 42.5. It's like sexing a long lost girlfriend. It's as nice as my 5 wood (which lost its pop after 5 years of steady beating) but a tad longer. Best 40 bucks spent in a loooooong time. I typically don't like proforce shafts but it is in harmony with this head, so I'm leaving it be... for now.

Cobra Bio Cell 11*
F6 Baffler 17.5
Hibore Hybrid 22*
850 Forged 5-GW
MP-T10 54, EYE 2 61
Odyssey 7

• 3 weeks later...

[/quote]

Are you still liking the AX? I just picked up the exact same shaft off the BST for my 3 wood. Finally time to upgrade the stock POS!

Ping G425 Max 9*// Ventus Velo Black 6x
TM Stealth+ 15* // HZRDUS Smoke Red 6.5
Ping G425 Hybrid 19* // Tensei Pro Orange 80S
Mizuno 919 Forged 4-GW // KBS Tour V 110 S
Ping Glide 3.0 56.14* WS / SM7 Raw 60.04* // S200
Ping Redwood ZB // Lamkin Sinkfit Straight

I have managed to purchase this year the following:

2 x tour issue 13# 3 woods - one came with Prolite stiff, the other with an Aldilla tour stiff - I have now reshaffted one shafted with a Matrix Code 8 Stiff, the other with a VS Proto 85g regular - love both but the regular flex wins
3&5 wood - both quite beaten up with stock graphite - I removed the shafts and I am having the heads refurbished - should get them back this weekend. Cannot wait.
4 wood with NV Green Stiff flex.

I have Ping G10 fairways with Grafalloy ProLaunch Red Fairways regular - I am thinking of taking these shafts and putting them in the 3,4 and 5. I believe these should be a good match but does anyone have any experience of V steels with Grafalloy ProLaunch Red Fairways?

Spirit, I do not think the v steel clubs are the longest, or the straightest, but what I do think is that they are the best combination of hitting off the deck or the tee.
The RBZ from last year was longer than my v steel off the tee, but could not hold a candle to this club off the deck. Just a well balanced club. Only other club I feel that could be better than the v steel is the Wishon 949mc fairway. That clubhead is also great.

Ping G425 
Ping G410
XR 16 3 and 4 Hybrid
Titleist T300 w/MMT 125s
SeeMore Putter
Vokey Wedges

[/quote]

I've been playing a 13° V-Steel with the Mitsubishi Rayon Tour S shaft ever since they first hit the market. This club has been the longest time in my bag of any club. I've never felt a need to change it. Recently ordered a 13° Callaway 3Deep w/ Fubuki K-70s, that was the first club I thought good enough to give a try. I have to say though I got the 3Deep as a fairway driver on long really long par 5s or as a driver substitute on shorter courses. They're 2 different clubs for somewhat different uses. I will NEVER get rid of the V-Steel. It'll be more of a question which course I play. The V-Steel is certainly a bit more versatile and still keeps up with the more modern clubs (except maybe the high-COR fairway woods if you're looking for extra distance). If you're trying to replace the V-Steel with something that goes the same distance (say a 17° high-COR fairway), I don't know if that's worth the change unless you're looking for a different/higher ball-flight. I might actually pick up a 15° V-steel to go with the 13° 3Deep which goes really about as far as a 10° to get the proper distance gap.

Razr Fit Xtreme 8.5 Fubuki K 60
Callaway 3Deep 13 Fubuki K 70
Titleist 980F 17 EI-70/xUtility Proto 18
Hogan Apex Plus 3-9 Rifle Flighted
Callaway X-Forged 48, 56, 60 PM-grind
Scotty Del Mar 3.5/Odyssey Black #8

[quote name='mchamden1' timestamp='1372343936' post='7334154']
[/quote]

Are you still liking the AX? I just picked up the exact same shaft off the BST for my 3 wood. Finally time to upgrade the stock POS!
[/quote]

Yes I am thanks! The more I play with this shaft the more I like it, it gives a nice high launch and the feedback from the shaft is great. Although I have played Mitsubushi Rayon shafts before, the AX shaft pull was a bit of a punt off Ebay - looking at the cost of new ones I got a bargain. I'll definately be looking for the same shaft so I can upgrade and refurbish my 3 wood. Whilst there isnt a lot of love for the stock shaft I got on quite well with it but you can tell the difference vs the AX!

All I need now are some better V steel headcovers as mine aren't in the best of condition, good examples are going for £15 ($23 ish)on Ebay. Can anyone suggest a good headcovers website?

"Carol Vorderman..... I was watching her the other day .....and I got aroused...............7 letters ... not bad for someone who left school at 15"

Gotta love Peter Alliss!

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a V-Steel 13* with a Whiteboard 83x. Thing is a beast. Excellent off the tee and ground. One of the top 3 woods I've ever hit and it's a definite keeper.

SLDR 10.5* UST VTS Silver 7x
RBZ Stage 2 14.5* BB 83X
RBZ Tour Issue 18.5* hybrid Fubuki AX
09 TP 2iron/2011 TP MC 5-PW DG X100
588 forged 54*, SM5 58.11* K
Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M